Will this be the final nail in their coffin...

Will this be the final nail in their coffin, or will they pull through cause consumers are uncaring morons that will continue to give money to dog shit companies?

Find out next time on Dragonball Z!

They're dying anyways so it doesn't matter.

They already have given up on the PC market and currently there are currently about 80 million current gen consoles worldwide.
There is no normie hit machine like the Wii and even handhelds are going back because of normies just downloading games on their smartphone.
You will see their stores become Marvel Hot Topics first and than disappear.

Despite how shit the practice of the Circle of Life program is, it's not uncommon practice. I used to work in the Rent to Own industry. If you want stories of shady and crooked business, nothing tops RTO.

I have friends that are managers of rent to own companies.

Sure an item costs $11 per month, but they marked up the price so the total contract cost is $1,500.

Former GS manager who quit 3 years ago (thank fuck).

Any current employees here? Do they still make you guys do weekly "Concierge Calls" to preorder customers begging them to bring in their trades? That's probably one of the biggest reasons why I quit -- being forced to make motherfucking COLD CALLS at my motherfucking VIDYA STORE. Even worse, the DMs would call some of those customers AGAIN for the sole purpose of asking if anyone from GameStop had called them about trades/preorders.

My last week with the company was the big rollout meeting for the GS credit card. Huge smile on my face knowing I had put in my two week notice at exactly the right time.

Story time

I worked at Rent A Center for 5 years before I landed a much better job at a Law Firm, but I can tell you that in the 5 years I worked there, out of the thousands of mattresses we sold and returned, I can count on one hand the amount of times we actually cleaned a mattress before shipping it off.

I swear on my life, we once had a guy overdose on a king size mattress. My manager at the time had our resident cleaner guy come in, touch it up, and we resold it a few weeks later.

Bed bugs were a constant problem. I once had to pick up a two piece sectional from a lady at 9 oclock at night. It was dark in her house and I couldn't see much, so I just He-Man'd it and slung it into the back of the truck with a roller dolley. The next morning, we opened the truck to find the reason she had returned was that it was covered in bed bugs. I mean completely infested. I called my girlfriend and had her immediately throw out the uniform I was wearing that night.

I did eventually work my way up to managing a store, which was a hell in itself. 6 days a week, 9 to 9 with conference calls every other hour from your dm telling you (literally) that you're garbage and threatening your job if you didnt meet a daily quota every day.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.

>Any current employees here? Do they still make you guys do weekly "Concierge Calls" to preorder customers begging them to bring in their trades?

What the fuck? This is a thing?

Go on...
Popcorn just finished. I am prepared for a novel of pure misery.
>bed bugs on that scale
Jesus Christ.

How bad did your DM chew you out over lack of presales and preorders?

I always feel bad going in to cancel a preorder, but I try to throw 5 on something to offset the difference

It's your money though. Why feel bad about shitty business practices.

It absolutely was, at least 2-3 years ago. I had one employee quit and another got let go for refusing to make cold calls.

Pretty bad but you quickly grew inured to it. Their goals/quotas were always retardedly high and almost nobody ever hit them ever, so most conference calls and store visits was all "you suck, your store sucks, do better next week or else". Since you heard it every single day, it eventually stopped meaning anything.

>Remember, you better get those numbers up! I'll be back to check on you next week.
>"Yes sir, I'll talk to the staff and we'll get this turned around!"
>Good, he says, and leaves
>"Anyway, fuck that guy. Mike, cover the counter, I'm gonna go smoke."
>repeat ever week for 6 years

Collection calls were almost on a criminal level. The guide book tells you that you're only supposed to call twice a day, but it's an unwritten law that you pretty much have to make contact with lients all day. On Saturdays, we would have to spend the entire day constantly blowing up clients over and over until we either talked to them, or got a payment out of them. We would genuinely call people at least 5 to 6 times a day on average.

And the customers are no better. RTO is for pretty much bottom of the barrel clients, so all you get is meth addict trash
Having literal meth addict prostitutes come in to get cellphones or what have you was a daily incident, especially at one of the stores I worked at the most.

They recently sacked their CEO because he was a fucking moron, but before he came in and introduced this ridiculous part time employee program, it would not be abnormal for a CAR (customer account representative) to deliver furniture or make collection runs (which meant they literally went to your house and banged on your door) until 11 o'clock at night.

We used to take tons of door tags and sprinkled them across someones door to surround the edges of the closed door, so it was pretty apparent to the entire neighborhood you owed us money
we called it "christmas tree-ing" someone's door.

I haven't done any cold calling in a while, just back in November to remind people we were releasing Madden or w/e early

I started working here when the GS credit card rolled out - We had a quota and write ups for people who didn't get any. Thankfully at the time I worked in the ghetto so it was easy to get niggers to apply for it.

I'm a pretty good salesman and now I work in an upper-middle class white neighborhood so getting 75% CoL isn't difficult.

According to my ex-GF who's a store manager the president of the company said at conference that 500k pro members lapsed in 2015.

GameStop is a shit job and a shit company, shop elsewhere.

>tons of door tags and sprinkle them across someones door
While I find the rest of the post abhorrent, this is just fucking funny to me.

I let my PUR card lapse immediately. Felt good. Fuck all GameStop executives. Suck my asshole, Paul Raines and Tony Bartel.

I don't shop there enough to even warrant maintaining mine. If I didn't have so many points from letting other people use my card that I could renew it for free whenever I do want to buy a preowned DS game or something I wouldn't, even as an employee.

Because I have a hard time disappointing people that didn't do anything to me personally. Plus I make enough where $5 on a game that I may slightly potentially get, especially knowing I can shift it over to something later, is not that bad to me. Also it helps make someone's day a little bit better.

>disappointing
They also didn't do anything to work their hopes up to be disappointed unless you instigate it.

I've had employees get like 6-8 preorder cancellations on one transaction and then literally cried. It was pretty hard watching someone grappling with the fact that they probably just lost their job.

This is exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't want on my conscious.
You can be an edgelord all you want, but I wouldn't be able to not feel sorry for the person behind the counter.