Steam kills Steam Greenlight

>Valve is removing Steam Greenlight this spring. And replacing it with Steam Direct.
>Right now developers pay $100 and can submit as many games as they want to Steam Greenlight. Steam Direct, however, will have a more substantial fee and charge per title.

eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-removing-steam-greenlight-this-spring

Has Valve finally made something good? Does killing Greenlight avoid all the shovelware and garbage games on Steam?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751
zillo7.itch.io/tier-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

seems good, i guess

>Nobody is making Steam Markets for us to profit
>So fuck you, give us 10+% of your revenue AND pay us upfront more!

No

if it gets rid of at least some crap that's being being flooded from greenlight. good.

So instead of implementing quality controls and having people monitor games that get poor reception they are going to jew more money out of people. Yeah fuck valve they need to go.

>most pc gamers have a massive backlog
>steam want you to sort through indie trash for them.
>people ignore it
>steam changes the name and charges more to improve the indie quality of games

PLEASE SORT THESE GAMES WE CAN"T BE BOTHERED TO DO ANYTHING BUT BILL THEM!

Seriously though probably a better shit screen.

What the fuck happen to who had Greenlight paid?

Depends.

Some would say it's a good decision, others that it's a bad one.

think of the backslash when shitty broken games couldn't get released on steam. every blog site would go maximum rage click bait. that's bad publicity.

the only way to win is ask for more money and hope that people don't pay that. in the worst case you just end up with more money

welp, guess i'll drop the game I was making. :\

do you know if it costs to put your shit on the google mobile store?

>Direct

Everybody following Nintendo

Thrilling insight

what quality control you aspie shit?
valve doesn't have the staff to moderate Steam, and the only "quality control" there is is the market itself. What is shit for one guy can be amazing for some other retard.

With this system it effectively puts up a "wall" to severely reduce the number of garbage or joke games flooding steam. If you're not serious about your game, you're probably not going to bother paying Valve money to publish it, which is good.

>instead of implementing some sort of filter system they will simply charge more money
This won't change a damn thing, people that shovel the shit onto greenlight will still do so, the only difference is valve will make more money from them doing so. The consumer gains nothing from this.

there's already a filter system in place retard

>mfw I got my game through greenlight a couple months ago
That was close.

And why did you quote me?
You realise Valve have ALL of the fucking money it's sad considering they do nothing most of the time. They are the definition of squandered potential and resources, they can afford quality control.

They can, but why would they? There's already a filter system in place. You can filter out weebtrash, pixelshit, whatever the fuck you want.

post it faggot

Post your game so I can buy it, call it shit and then refund it, asshole.

Just stop the early access survival meme already.

Great decision unless you put out shovelware bullshit every day

>100-5000 dollar publishing fee
I really hope they go with something >2500. Less no-budget-indie-shit-vignette-"art" and shovelware.

Did you even read the post?
It means all the shit games won't even have to go through approval process anymore, they just have to pay Steam to get on Store.
Greenlight had $100 "ticket" and people had to vote for a game. Now they only need the ticket, which won't be much more expensive.

It's only going to get worse and there is virtually nothing you can do to stop it.

>somevalve drones unironically defending this
literally underage diehard fans

Valve is rich as hell and cant find some way to further filter trash going through their store? Why should they screw over devs causing the devs to want to raise their prices for games cause they have to make up for paying valve jews more to get their game on the market the first place?

You're both so mean, so I'm not sure if I should.

post gaem

>Valve is rich as hell and cant find some way to further filter trash going through their store?
They already did. Filter system. Filter them yourself if you want. Is Valve supposed to be the ones saying which games people want to play? I don't think so.

You straight up can't though, stop lying.

>won't be much more expensive
>thousands
>now charged per-game rather than per-developer

Yeah but with greenlight you only had to drop 100 bucks and convince a couple hundred to a thousand potential customers. Now they have to pay a, probably substantially higher, publishing fee and convince Valve that they're worthy.

This, in the end the trash will still appear on steam but devs will just charge more for their trash.

The new system fucks honest publishers and devs over by charging more per game on a sliding scale on top of the 30% cut they already take, and doesn't do anything about the flood of regurgitated bullshit already on the system like Space Trucker (which is entirely stolen assets from doom, duke, blood, shadowarrior and made entirely so the dude who made it could use his SL furry avatar as a steam background), or Huniecam Studio

>publish shit rpg maker game
>sell for 1$
>include cards on steam
>make fat cash

This. Its nothing but a thinly veiled way to get more games on the store.

>eurogamer
>sources
>none

Yup, ahuh, that sure is a thing, yup, just keep on doing that thing you're doing.

I don't understand this change, people can already refund within 24h hours as long they haven't play over 1h or was it 2

steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

youre being cynical in the wrong way, retard

>Valve is removing Steam Greenlight
About time.

>And replacing it with Steam Direct
Might be slightly better, depends on how much that "more substantial fee" is.

zillo7.itch.io/tier-1

I'm plenty aware of the news directly on steam. I'm mocking the fact the faggot OP is linking his clickbait that fails do cite shit.

You probably never even made a game.

>200 to 5000
Fuck me, I don't got thousands of dollars to publish just one game on Steam. What's gonna happen to the Greenlight fee then?

Welp, so game I work on with few friends gonna be released in early access shit so we won't get jewed by volvo.
yay

How about you stop being a fucking retard and learn to use the different tools you're given to browse the store?

I bet you're the same type of guy who screams about how casuals are ruining his games. Fucking kill yourself.

There's at least 3 different ways to filter out content on Steam. Learn to fucking use them.

YES! More shovelware shit on the PS4 now, we did it bros!

>nanomachines son tag
autist detected

not an argument.

>Up to three meme tags
ebin :DDD

I also like how you don't show anyone where to filter and just tell them to google, despite the fact nobody uses steam other than "search: "

>not an argument
not an argument.

Except there's no system in place to stop tags like "anime" and "memes" from infecting every remotely popular game regardless of whether they apply.

>up to three
so, you can filter weebtrash and pixelshit simultaneously. What's your problem, retard? Still have space for another memetag you want to add.
You can use the rest of the filter system to weed out the other garbage.

>you just tell them to google
I don't. I just assume people here have a slimmer of intelligence, since they've been using computers for such a long time, and can find out how to use filters and where to locate them. I LITERALLY never use the Steam Store (I don't even buy my Steam games through steam) and I was able to find it in under 10 minutes. I'm sure you can do the same buddy, I have faith in you.

It only filters the games if those tags are popular, which, in case of joke tags, isn't the case 99% of the time.

I meant faggot endearingly in the same way black people call each other nigger

>Dota, Darkest Dungeon and Dynasty Warriors
>RPG

You just posted proof why it doesn't work

i've told you before and i'll tell you again, you would have to pay me to review your game. Thats a really bad looking starsector.

>>not an argument
>not an argument.
not an argument.

>People can just automagically figure out where filtering options are on a store page that has had numerous overhauls, largely due to seasonal events, where shit games were the norm in massive droves before it was implemented.

"Intelligence"

So valve should permenant vacban weeb/autist accounts?

I didn't. RPG is easily one of the broadest terms. It's up there with "MOBA". RPG to most people means "leveling system", because they don't have any background in PnP RPGs. By that definition, Dota, Darkest Dungeon and Dynasty Warriors are RPGs. Also isn't Darkest Dungeon a dungeon crawler RPG? Like Diablo, except with a party and turn based?

It's about fucking time. Valve needed to do this from the start to prevent all the fucking trash (from asset flips to andriod ports) from infecting them.

Hopefully, this means a much better selection of games.

Again, I have faith you can do it. If you're too fucking stupid to find it though (and the tutorials Valve made with pretty pictures and all), just say it and I'll lend you a hand.

Why don't they just remove tags altogether? Or remove player chosen tags? Clearly the valve community is too retarded to make good decisions

DD is far more a strategy game since the only RNG is in loot, quirks and combat events.
All items themselves have fixed stats, as well as abilities being rather restricted to a small range for the most part making every character in general very consistent regardless of situation barring a few exceptional combinations of quirks and afflictions.

>pay to publish
wew, way to improve your QC valve

>Why don't they just remove tags altogether?
And replace it with what?
>Or remove player chosen tags?
And who tags them? Developers? Would just lead to the same retarded shit, since they'd just use tags for marketing purposes.

>>>not an argument
>>not an argument
>not an argument
not an argument m8

The filter system in place is based on user tags which are ~useless~. The steam community is unable to tag games correctly.

It's good that they're doing this. If Valve charges $1,000 to join and $500 per title to be on their service, that means every $5 game sold has to sell 300 copies to break even ($50 games only need 30 sales). This will be more than enough to shoo away most of the kids and scammers that have made Steam Greenlight so shit.

This is Quality Control. If devs want to make money off Steam they have to make something that will sell a reasonable amount of copies. As a result, quality will naturally increase as the break-even cost is raised.

>>>>not an argument
>>>not an argument
>>not an argument
>not an argument m8
not an argument. good try though.

See:

good
fucking
riddance

>mfw if it's above 2000 I'm going to have to go into debt and hope to god my game sells

>1000 dollars to put your stupid fucking game on steam
>sell 300 copies

nigger what? What indie developer is going to drop 1000 dollars on their game hoping to break even? There's like 20,000 games on steam nowadays, your game will disappear so fast youll barely recoup it unless you get lucky with a bundle deal, in which case you'll probably get 20 cents for every copy sold.

>valve doesn't have the staff to moderate Steam
You could pay 3 Sup Forumsirgins minimum wage and a hot pocket stipend and that job would get done with such ruthless efficiency that it'd change the face of peesea gayming for years to come.

No one wants your trash pixelsshit anyway, so save your money

user don't publish to platforms like this without knowing it can sell

find ways to promote on platforms designed for low-sales like itch, then make the money to spend on putting it on steam

act like a publisher when publishing yourself. don't spend money you don't know if you'll make bakc.

probably not since one of them would inevitably be a weeb shit who would disagree with the other two and then a fight would ensue
or they'd all be weebshitters and start removing things that made them butthurt and end up fired after 2 days.

No, this solves fucking nothing. The damage is already done.

Remember when you used to be able to browse Steam and almost every game on offer was at least a playable, finished product?

It's too late, this reeks of greed.

Reminder that this will not prevent more games from being published. All this means is that developers will have to pay more money upfront, but it doesn't solve anything because most developers will just pay the price.

Gaben once again tak8ng out the trash

Working on something I planned on putting on greenlight.
now this.
Thanks Obama.

this misses the point
valve doesn't want a person curating what gets onto steam, because people have personal tastes and biases.

what they want, ultimately, is a completely impartial sorting method that only looks at "are there enough people out there who would buy this?" so that they can provide to niches without having to understand them. They basically want to be the first non-short-sighted publisher.

when you have someone who's paid to say yes or no to games, you end up with scenarios like EA and rocketleague, where a person who has been right many times in the past about many big things looks at something new and hard to categorize and says "football with cars? it's cute, but I don't think it has enough appeal" and then lose out on something fucking huge.

This has been the philosophy behind every single valve store decision to date. They want to turn away nothing, and instead focus on finding ways to make it easier for their userbase to filter and find what they want. It's a much more ambitious and complicated way of doing things, but the benefits to them are obvious.

>this misses the point
the first post you quoted basically says what you're saying friend.
good post regardless.

>this reeks of greed
??? what did he mean by this ???

whups, my mistake

I'll be pissed if the fee is much higher. I'm making a game to actually lift myself out of poverty, I can't afford hundreds or thousands on a fucking application fee. Using money as a quality gate is the stupidest possible solution to this problem.

Its valve, everyone sucks their dick over muh dota2, counterstrike, and tf2 but in reality they're scumbags at this point. Wouldn't be surprised If they cut costs by hiring h1b illegals and paying them fuckall. Gabe got angry over trumps travel ban. Hope they crash and burn for being greedy fucks

>What indie developer is going to drop 1000 dollars on their game hoping to break even?

$1000 is fucking easy to get if you're running a professional business. Most banks will lend you $1000 cash even if you have bad credit. This is a perfectly reasonable standard for indie developers, in fact it's rather low compared to what Valve could charge ($5000+) for access.

>There's like 20,000 games on steam nowadays, your game will disappear so fast youll barely recoup it unless you get lucky with a bundle deal, in which case you'll probably get 20 cents for every copy sold.

1. Steam only takes a 30% cut
2. adding such restrictions would greatly slow the amount of games being released, as most scammers aren't going to risk losing $1000 on crap.
3. if a game can't even get 100-500 customers through word of mouth, then it doesn't deserve to make money. The developer can just run a twitch stream themselves.

Sup Forums please go this doesn't involve you

lol what the actual fuck

Not a perfect solution, but its a lot better than Greenlight.

Seems alright. Another issue is just getting the sholveware games off the main pages, there are lots of lesser known games that get washed out by the sheer volume of """indie""" shovleware games that pass through the recent releases/featured sections of Steam.

I would want them to also better sort the front page, right now its a giant mess of images that make no sense.

>$1000 is fucking easy to get if you're running a professional business. Most banks will lend you $1000 cash even if you have bad credit.
Cool. So I need to go into debt just to release a video game?
>1. Steam only takes a 30% cut
ONLY 30%? haahahahahaha, you are a colossal faggot. stop being a corporate apologist.

dear Sup Forums please take over Sup Forums

>There's like 20,000 games on steam nowadays, your game will disappear so fast youll barely recoup it unless you get lucky with a bundle deal, in which case you'll probably get 20 cents for every copy sold.

steam is not marketing
steam is an online store

this is the shit so many fucking indie devs fail to realize.

If your plan was to lay a fat turd on steam and hope to god that it sold enough to cover your ass, you're dumb and you're going to fail. Marketing is still Your Job. Making sure your game has an audience is Your Job. Making sure you have a viable business plan is Your Job.

Congratulations on the game, and welcome to the real world.

>Cool. So I need to go into debt just to release a video game?
only if you're an idiot who doesn't have even 1k in savings to invest in your own goddamn livelihood

Not him but I would say most indie devs go into debt trying to release their games. The guy that made Stardew Valley took four years to create the game. You're a fool if you think making a game doesn't require some sacrifice.

>valve brought the indiepocalypse early
>mfw already on steam so not effected