RIP Steam Greenlight

>When we consider any new features or changes for Steam, our primary goal is to make customers happy. We measure that happiness by how well we are able to connect customers with great content. We’ve come to realize that in order to serve this goal we needed to move away from a small group of people here at Valve trying to predict which games would appeal to vastly different groups of customers.

>Thus, over Steam’s 13-year history, we have gradually moved from a tightly curated store to a more direct distribution model. In the coming months, we are planning to take the next step in this process by removing the largest remaining obstacle to having a direct path, Greenlight. Our goal is to provide developers and publishers with a more direct publishing path and ultimately connect gamers with even more great content.

What we learned from Greenlight
>After the launch of Steam Greenlight, we realized that it was a useful stepping stone for moving to a more direct distribution system, but it still left us short of that goal. Along the way, it helped us lower the barrier to publishing for many developers while delivering many great new games to Steam. There are now over 100 Greenlight titles that have made at least $1 Million each, and many of those would likely not have been published in the old, heavily curated Steam store.

>These unforeseen successes made it abundantly clear that there are many different audiences on Steam, each looking for a different experience. For example, we see some people that sink thousands of hours into one or two games, while others purchase dozens of titles each year and play portions of each. Some customers are really excited about 4X strategy games, while others just buy visual novels.

>Greenlight also exposed two key problems we still needed to address: improving the entire pipeline for bringing new content to Steam and finding more ways to connect customers with the types of content they wanted.

store.steampowered.com/news/

Other urls found in this thread:

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks like Sterling's out of a job.

>more shovelware
>no curation
Welp, it's not like anything changed.

Valve should change focus to more heavily regulating Early Access games. All EA games should be barred from having any sort of paid additional content (DLC or microtransactions) until they leave early access and the two-week, two-hour refund window should only take effect after the game leaves Early Access.

Good.

And just think, if somebody at Valve had just hired somebody full-time to look at submissions and weed out the fucking trash nobody would be complaining and Jim Sterling wouldn't have to make so many fucking videos.

One guy. ONE FUCKING GUY WAS ALL IT TOOK.
>There are now over 100 Greenlight titles that made over a million on the store
And I'm sure those million are well worth the thousands upon fucking THOUSANDS of shit games passed through each month on Greenlight.

>We gave in and will take any scrap that is out there for the easy bucks
And you faggots thought green light was cancer. Prepare for 99.9% shovelware and the rest is AAA shit.

greenlight wasnt working as a filter at all

I hope there will be more waifu games available.

Somebody stole my car radio and I just sit in silence.

This a thousand time.

The ''everybody does whatever the fuck they want'' approach at employee management at Valve is fucking retard. How the fuck can a company work like that in the long run?

>5000$ FEE FOR EACH NEW GAME
5000$ FEE FOR EACH NEW GAME
>5000$ FEE FOR EACH NEW GAME
5000$ FEE FOR EACH NEW GAME

RIP not-AAA DEVELOPERS

Yeah how can it work?
www.forbes.com/sites/oliverchiang/2011/02/15/valve-and-steam-worth-billions/#58bcd5982f17

>5000
Don't they get like 20-30% of each sale? they can male nothing or they can do it big like with undershit.

>we are abandoning any pretense of quality control for the sake of making more money

No shit, because they made the cash cows of CSGO, Dota 2 and Steam itself which has been getting bigger. Now take a look at the actually new shit Valve's made over the past couple of years.
-Steam Controller
-Steam Machines
-Steam Link

^^All failures

Things they're working on in the future:
-Brain scanning
-Eye tracking

^^Nobody cares

And they all performed like shit and nobody's talking about them anymore.

Of course Valve's making money. At this point they could probably just upload new games to the store for the next fucking DECADE and never have to change a thing and STILL make a huge profit.

Somy, microshit and shitendo have fucked up yet people still invest in them.
You can't make the right choices 100% of the time, no matter how structured your company is.

>wants to make indie submissions better
>instead adding quality control they increase the paywall

typical Valve

>inb4 half of steam games are "im rich" apps that cost 50000
steam is dead

They are fucked because there's no upward growth as a business from this point. They had a flat year in spending last year (The top 3 biggest selling full price PC titles didn't launch on Steam) and Vive could be in trouble if HTC winds down and/or is sold to a Chinese company this year because they will lose money invested in the Vive Spin off company and bleed money maintaining it.

If they were a public company, investors would be calling for Gabe's head on a pike right now. Especially since indie devs are furious on twitter and some of them have said that GOG or Microsoft Store is now a better option because while those stores are curated, they don't ask for upfront fees (Both are on flexible structures. M$ will even let you ship and cover your costs till you make money depending on your circumstances but that is really for student projects or one man teams).

Gabe managed to outkike M$. That takes some incredible Jewing

>everyone flustered that more games get to come out, even if they are utter shit
>everyone talking about some "golden standard"-having Valve employee that's supposed to be the end-all "qualty control" of what constitutes a good game, as if it isn't subject to taste and opinion
>scared that "muh speshull vidya will get overinflated"
>actually fighting against progress

how the fuck do you mongoloids function on a daily basis with that brain?

>Make pieceof shit for 5 usd that sells only 1500 copies
>OMG 5000 WAS TOO MUCH
>Make good game that sells for 7 or 8 bucks
>Sells 100k copies
>meh 5000 was pocket change
Nice try, turd dev.

>You can't make the right choices 100% of the time, no matter how structured your company is
Yeah, no shit, that doesn't excuse the fact that Valve has consistently made shit decisions and created products nobody asked for or wanted. They don't know what research is.

>"Who wants a controller with a laptop trackpad instead of a control stick?"
>"Didn't we solve the whole controller thing like fifteen years ago?"
>"Awesome! Now how about a box that allows you to play your PC games on a TV without an HDMI cable?"
>"Everybody who wanted to use a TV as a monitor has already done so."
>"Alrighty-roonie! Now how about a shit PC that's more expensive than building one yourself designed to look like a console?"
>"That's retarded. If I wanted a gimped PC I'd just use SteamOS"

Oh my fucking god I just remembered SteamOS what a piece of shit.

>"Here's an OS dedicated entirely to games!"
>"Can I play all my games on it?"
>"No"
>"Then what the fuck is the point?"

Why don't they just make a separate part of the store for broken indie trash/babbies first unity game? Basically fulfilling the same purpose of sites like itch.io. It's ok to upload trash, but make it free and keep it separate from curated products.

Alright good sir. Do explain how this is a good thing.

Yeah, meanwhile you are fine with paid DLC, paid online, microtransactions and blatant lies from devs.
Shut up bitch, every single company sucks ass when you look at them.
I want a fucking crash so much.

No one one brought Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo but you. This thread isn't about them.

Which 3 titles were those?

You need to pay first Mr.Baiter.

>Meanwhile you are fine with
Don't talk shit, never bought DLC in my entire life and never willl.

So instead of getting your game greenlit for free now you have to pay for it? How is that going to stop the massive amount of trash that comes to Steam everyday?

You need to pay licensing fees on consoles and apps.
What now, mr shit dev?

No more shit SJW games like Depression Quest or Her story They can't pay the fee because of male privilage.
We trully are in the correct timeline now.

>I want a fucking crash so much.
Crashfags are fucking retarded. You know there won't be a Nintendo to save console games this time right? If anything it would complete the transition of video games to a 100% service model, the only thing left would be mobileshit, F2P and MMO's. The only newcomers looking to get into the decaying gaming industry at this point are fucking Facebook and Amazon, do you really want them to run the show if Nintendo and Sony collapse?

>more people making and releasing more vidya
>standards of game development rapidly change and improve
>interestsing mechanics are discovered (one shitty game serves as an inspiration, and improves upon it)
>taking power from huge companies that are halting progress
>more people with different backgrounds = diversity in approach
>there will be a billion games, so that means no more accepting shitty downgrades, and promised features that were outright lies
>finally putting the power back to the developer instead of Doritos and Mountain Dew

just from the top of my head, I could go on for ages and ages

Sales say otherwise, idiot.
As long as people buy, who cares if you don't? you are disposable.

t. proud Neogaf user

Overwatch (BattleNet), Battlefield 1 (Origin), Forza Horizon 3 (M$ Store)

Civ V was biggest selling on Steam but only managed about 1.2 million there.

>nice racial slurs too

>>>/reddit/
>>>/neogaf/

it will kill games made by one person. the garbage will stay though, since a lot are from rich companies slaving some pajeets to copy paste "classics" game over and over.

>from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000
Sup Forums needs to learn to read

Then what do you suggest? Cause we left companies run this and they ruined it. So what now? we let ourselves be raped with shitty games for the rest of eternity just because change could be worse?
And if it is worse, then we just crash it again.

>recently bought this
How fucked am I?

>YOU DO ALL THIS CANCEROUS SHIT
>No I don't
>LOL THAT DOESN'T MATTER

I have a feeling Reddit might be more your speed, gives you a full day to think before posting your inane bullshit.

>on consoles and apps
repeat after me : IT'S OK WHEN SONY DOES IT WHAT ARE YOU POOR YOU CAN'T PAY 5000 KILL YOURSELF I'M NOT EVEN JOKING

>implying I'm a developer
>implying I'm not glad all indieshitters will get BTFO

FUCKING FINALLY

Greenlight Garbage will finally stop flooding steam, and devs actually putting games on steam will ACTUALLY need to be serious and ACTUALLY make a real investment in their work, rather than fucking stealing stock Unity assets, coding terrible UI's and selling them for a few dollars for something that could be made in a weekend.

Bout fucking time.

No you have to pay even now. It's 100 dollars to get Greenlight (which is nothing if you do steam trading)

Pic related, me and my wife's son

View it as a charitable donation and move on.

Well, at least your money went to charity

>only when sony does it
shitendo and microshit do it too, you imbecile.

Not sure what to think
I like Greenlight because its brought a lot of niche games I'd be interested in that I otherwise don't think would have made it to Steam, but on the other hand, I think this'll help make the Steam store a little neater with titles that are at least a little bit higher in quality on Steam. Or at least less complete shit, anyways.

not fucked at all, unless your game is complete shit

>stop flooding steam
what's the problem exactly? You don't pay for those games as a customer. It's literally "get away from my private club" mentality, except applied to a supermarket brand. This is beyond stupid.

the amount of shovelware will explode etf

They changed it so you don't have to wait for approval by the community. Instead you fill in paperwork like opening a bank account and release.

Paywall is between $100 - $5000. I doubt that they'll go for the max, $500 seems more reasonable to filter out shitters.

I agree with you very much.

>Forza Horizon 3
this sold well on pc?

They do a lot of mistakes but all of them.
People still bought paid online and dlc and microtransactions. You think a few dollars less from resistance fags like you are gonna make them stop when they much more with their shit? Be real and don't shitpost me with your reddit bullshit. We are fucked.

>Valve should change focus to more heavily regulating Early Access games. All EA games should be barred from having any sort of paid additional content (DLC or microtransactions) until they leave early access and the two-week, two-hour refund window should only take effect after the game leaves Early Access.
Early Access games should refund automatically if they don't leave EA within a year.
Once a game leaves EA you must confirm your purchase again on the first game launch.
>This game left Early Access, do you want to keep it?
>YES, I want to keep this game.
>NO, I want a refund.
Problem solved.

>small poor developer in poor country
>save money since greenlight fee was put in place
>finally 100 USD
>just pushed first game for voting
>this happens
>word spreading games on greenlight will need be paid for and resubmitted
>lose the 100 USD greenlight fee
>won't beable to afford do that again for some time again
>all time spent and money wasted so fat jew man can have more money

it's the same reason console shovelware is bad. If I wanted to play amateur games I'll go to a site where you can upload those for free and occasionally play some great indies

I don't think there are official numbers but I know the crossplay helped a bunch. The main reason people were scared to buy Gears 4 was because the multiplayer would be so short-lived. (They did add crossplay for casual matches there too eventually)

>That picture

Let me help you out user

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

>it's the same reason console shovelware is bad
On consoles it's easy to ignore. Just don't visit their "digital" store full of it.
Now try buying physical PC games.

It did. Even Wangblows store and the shit port didn't stop it doing badly. Leaderboard data had about 1.6-1.8 million playing it on PC on the PC only leaderboards. Even given for shared numbers with Xbox purchases. It sold huge for PC. Biggest seller on Steam was Civ VI at 1.2 million. Nothing could touch Overwatch though (Over 20 million sold between all formats. PC about 60% of that)

Steam had a really flat year. No big names like GTA, Witcher or Fallout that brought up numbers. PC Gaming's never been healthier but 2016 was the year when everyone started realizing you don't need to depend on Steam.

Just find a web development job or w/e you can do IT related. You can work on your game in your free time or after you save up a lot of dosh and live off it.

Recoupable fee. Also, what kind of adult doesn't have a spare few thousand in savings?

I don't get this.

>They are fucked because there's no upward growth as a business from this point. They had a flat year in spending last year (The top 3 biggest selling full price PC titles didn't launch on Steam) and Vive could be in trouble if HTC winds down and/or is sold to a Chinese company this year because they will lose money invested in the Vive Spin off company and bleed money maintaining it.
Indeed. Valve and Steam are doomed. It's what happened to Microsoft, once the iPhone popped up.
>PC Gaming's never been healthier but 2016 was the year when everyone started realizing you don't need to depend on Steam.
I left PC gaming in 2016, not due to Valve, but due to Denuvo. I'm not coming back, so there goes the revenue.

90% of his content is making fun of greenlight projects.

>Just find a job
yeah, ok, goodbye

>Don't shitpost me
Okay, you've got the reading comprehension of a four year old.

>YOU DO X
>no
>THAT DON'T MATTER WE FUCKED
>that's not what i was talking about
>STILL NO MATTER WE FUCKED

>>>/reddit/

>what kind of adult doesn't have a spare few thousand in savings?

Those that live in poor countries?

>Some customers are really excited about 4X strategy games, while others just buy visual novels.
Reminder that there is a notable number of thirsty weaboos on Steam who spend real American dollars on eroge without erotic content. A big enough chunk of customers for Valve to mention them.

guess i'll publish my game on google play :)

Kill yourself.

>Greenlight will die in favor of turning Steam into a full open-market that Valve will skim literal billions off of
Nice.
>Depending on the angle they take, this could kill itch and Gamejolt

>projects.

>while others just buy visual novels.

Weebs literally ruining this platform.
I can't even browse the steam store when I have friends over out of the embarrassment it might give me if they look over and see the page filled with half naked drooling anime chicks everywhere.

>Also, what kind of adult doesn't have a spare few thousand in savings?

Statistically, nearly all do not. 66% have absolutely nothing..

Good

The amount of absolutely trash games flooding steam is fucking ridiculous

We're not even talking about games that we're developed with the devs heart put into it.

No, we're talking about games that were made in 3 days, made with Unity/unreal ripped assets and shipped out to make a quick buck

retard

Step your shit Pajeet, life ain't easy, but IT jobs are in high demand. If you're that much of a cunt, you can always suck cock at the street corner or clean the designated shitting street.

And this changes anything about that how exactly?

Why do you blame Gaben when it is the consumers fault for being idiots? you can't teach an idiot to be smart, nor force him to purchase good games only.

>no IT jobs where I live
>The times there are one, a pajeet literally gets imported for cheaper it would be to hire locally
>The pajeeet moves into the pajeet hovel apartments with 9 other pajeets illegally, ignoring the max residents per square foot ruling that's there for safety and hygiene standards
>I start blaming myself for being a cis white male scumlord
>i start HRT to get more job opportunities out of pity
>pajeet made me a tranny
The last steps aren't me but I can see it happening.

In the article
>We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.

Do you really think the shitty devs of literal asset-flips are going to go through this process AND pay to put their game up now?

Sure there will be a few that will go through and pay, but this will weed out most of the shitty devs looking for an overnight cash grab

I don't understand how anyone could argue that having more cash means you will make a better video game. There are excellent games made by single guys in a basement, and tons of AAA titles that are total shit. This is just Gaben being a greedy fuck again, remember this is the guy who wanted to charge for mods.

Hiring people for quality controls would work better and not fuck over pretty much every new indie devs.

If there's one thing having to deal with their support and customer care taught me, is that Valve doesn't give a single flying fuck about QA and support.
Like most companies in the world of course, but at least EA gives you goodwill gestures like a 25% discount from Deepak or stupid shit like that, it's still garbage but it's something vs the literal robot support from Steam.

But that would actually require Valve to pay more people for doing the quality control. Which to Valve must be a scenario so horrific that they probaly shit their pant just thinking about it.

So they came up with this instead. This way they don't have to pay for shit and instead make even more money with their stupid fee and from selling all the shit games afterwards.

>Not making to community do it for free and call it volunteer quality control

Valve really are fucking jews

Wait.....am I reading this right? Are they saying Greenlight was a barrier?

THEY'RE GOING TO PUSH EVEN MORE SHIT INTO THAT BLOATED STORE?!??

>for free
>implying it wouldn't be a paid feature like early access

>These unforeseen successes

half life 3 confirmed

And now we see that Valve have some Questionable Ethics, it all makes sense now!

Nearly every indie game dev who literally can't afford to take it up the ass from kikes like Gaben you goddamn retard, this is honestly the last straw, I fucking hate this fat fuck now.

>oh no those poor, poor devs, they can't publish hastly-assembled shovelware onto steam anymore, THEY'RE the true victims

>Every indie devs make shovelwares
>Only big companies make good games
>Buy Skyrim Special Edition!

>button to kill yourself
>there is no button

>Button to kill yourself
>It's under maintenance

The people vote for these games, blame the fucking idiots who want to pay for hot garbage. Some of the best games on steam would've never seen the light of day if it wasn't for steam greenlight, fucking Papers, Please was a greenlght game.