What made this game so shitty?

What made this game so shitty?

Your taste

Nothing, it's the greatest RPG ever created.

>shitty level scalling
>unsatisfying combat
>character creation and RPG elements stripped down even further than they were in Morrowind
>main story was poorly executed
It was pretty fun to dick around in, though. I liked the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild. Soundtrack was top comfy.

>implying i'll let Sup Forums trick me into hating my first openworld rpg

Fast travel. The main reason why I can't get into it

Everything
God-tier side quests are the only thing that saved this pile of crap

At the time it did a realistic open world RPG better than any other game. I remember my first time seeing this game in person and not being able to comprehend how it could look so good.

The level up system will always hurt the game but it's forgivable thanks to what the game gets right.

There's also mods to fix it.

Best town is Anvil

Gamebryo

Zero depth in the setting.

I'm not afraid to admit it was my first game in series, and a game I originally played on Xbox 360. I'll acknowledge it's numerous flaws and agree Morrowind is a better, more inventive game over all.

Skyrim is worse however, much worse.

Same reason why all Bethesda games suck.

>terrible button mashing combat
>empty open world, "cities" have 12 people in them
>dumb story

>removing dice rolls because it's unintuitive for most people
>don't do anything else to make the combat interesting
Same reason why I can't stand Skyrim.

Oblivion is pure kino. Unlike Shitwind
>Basically India with mushrooms
>Shitwind gods are just the Indian Trimurti
>It's shitbrown coloured, just like India
>Everyone walks around like they've shit themselves, just like in India
>Retards and nuMales love it. Just like India
Then the main villain is in his evil volcano lair, really pathetic if you ask me.

You don't like India much I'm guessing.

Desire to pursue a mainstream audience. That's why they dumbed down the setting, lore, visual designs, story, dialogue, role-playing, dungeons, and mechanics to support a more casual player. But the overall product is shallow and repetitive. The level scaling is also fundamentally broken to the point where the vanilla experience is practically unplayable.

That being said, there are a few good side quests and the Shivering Isles expansion is a huge improvement if only for introducing a region and cast of characters that aren't soul-crushingly bland.

Youre old enough to post on Sup Forums hot damn.

Anyway we used to shit on oblivion a lot more before skyrim came out and showed us what real casualization looks like.

My favorite childhood movies are Transformers and Avatar which I saw when I was ten and eleven respectively

[spoilers]The kids born at the end of our generation are probably going to live forever, it's not fucking fair

>spoiler tag
whoops

Skyrim is better than Oblivion because the story and setting are more fully realized and varied, despite shitty side quests and rampant casualization. They're both shittyas a whole, however, just Skyrim slightly less so.

>"cities" have 12 people in them
confirmed for never having played Oblivion

The way you level up is the only bad part of the game, and is easily fixed with mods.

Daggerfall and Oblivion are the only good Elder Scrolls games.

>Skyrim's setting is more realized and varied
>Hey man could you go look in this cave with some draugr in it I think I left something in there
>Alright thanks hey I heard this other guy needs help with a draugr problem
>Hey I know I'm a draugr but those other guys are dicks could you kill them for me

Its not Morrowind

this wouldn't be a problem if fighting Draugr was actually made fun. Unfortunately it's not, not even with five combat mods and jiggling breast and ass physics for your character.

The writing in Oblivion is so incredibly shallow. The only difference in culture between the regions and cities are the building models. Its ironic that the magical mushroom land of Vvardenfell feels like a far more realistic place than the Cyrodiilic woodland.

t. Numale
Slurpy slurpy cummies boy

Okey, friend!

I'm sorry, it's just that everyone who likes Morrowind without exception, in my experience, is a a numale cuck. I mean, you post Vivek one of the worst written characters in the game, come on lad. Step it up.

Quality Sup Forums post there, friend. What was the argument about again?

>tfw light roleplaying through the comfiest game of the century
>never fast travel
>keep a few outfits for different occasions
>pretty city outfit to look like a rich lord
>leather outfit for horseback traveling
>dank obsidian armor while exploring dangerous zones
>plan each trip carefully to avoid useless traveling
>still free to venture into the wooods when you encounter a daedra shrine or some fucked up shit

That could you play through the entire main quest and be unable to leave the main road because the forests were crawling with unkillable ogres now.

>character creation and RPG elements stripped down even further than they were in Morrowind

I've played daggerfall more than morrowind but a whole lot of that shit did need to be thinned out. There's plenty of shit that either barely does anything or doesn't work at all.

Actually I loved this game. Guilds and side quests great. Especially thieves. Trying to take that fucking green orc in the weapon shop up the stairs so you can steal his shit. Shit man I must of done that dungeon across the lake to the right outside of the first sewer at the beginning of the game 1000 times.

some cons
>oblivion portals repetitive
>enemy scaling (like whats the fucking point of leveling then)
>offensive magic clunky
>last boss

I remember as a kid discovering the mage tower glitch, where you can apply a billion effects to rings. Walking outside and flying across the map because +1500 speed. (then dying from fall damage)

Trying to climb outside of the map by jumping up mountains sideways.

Jumping on top of a rock and killing all the guards with a bow.

Invisible town.

Shivering isles fucking great.

As a kid this game was great.

>Cuckwind quests
"Go get these flowers" Go collect these donations" "Go walk around this poo brown world" "Go talk to Cuckbride's Fursona"
>Oblivikino quests
"Dive to the bottom of a well and grab my enchanted ring" (the ring is a trap, drowning anyone who goes to get it) "Our hotel-boat has been overrun by pirates looking for the Golden Galleon" "An all female gang of thieves is seducing men and robbing them, but the men are too embarrassed to talk about it" "An author is trapped in his own painting" and many, many more.

>>the ring is a trap, drowning anyone who goes to get it
>immediately realise that you can just take it out of your inventory and drag it around using the 'z' button
>pick it back up whenever you need to go through a door
Kinda ruins that quest for me

I was a retard when I first did the quest. I died the first time, then I went and bought feather potions.

Bethesda

Mystery of the Dwarves is an example of a quest that blows any of the Oblivion quests out of the water.

Is this post ironic?

>talk
>talk
>talk
>talk

Great quest, not like you don't get enough vapid dialogue walls in this game

As opposed to a Dune knock off?

This quest gives better sense of wonder, mystery and achievement then whole Oblivion questline with side quests. While Oblivion quests have some nice ideas they suffer from video game uncanny valley - voice acting with zero emotions and animations in dramatic scenes fall flat and break suspension of disbelief. I remember that many good quests suffer from this: Boat hotel, ten little niglets, grey fox especially.

>This quest gives better sense of wonder, mystery and achievement then whole Oblivion quest-line with side quests.
No it doesn't. This is a lie.

I am an honest man and i would never sully myself with a lie. Moreover, personal opinion is subjective therefore cannot fall under the category of deceit. Take these words back, please.

Never. There's no such thing as a "man" who likes Morrowind. You're all little boys, but not cute boys like in Anime, but ugly boys.

ITT nostalgia fags as far as the eye can see

Here's the laydown for those without the nostalgia goggles

>oblivion is generic monotonous padded trash
>skyrim improved upon it in nearly every way and is an objectively better game
>morrowind is the best game in the series thus far (with daggerfall second to it)

inb4
>muh c-comfy
>muh g-g-guild quests

You are honestly an idiot not worthy of time to explain difference between profound worldbuilding and amusement theme park

this, but
>skyrim
>improve

>daggerfall
>not a pile of worthless garbage
Opinion discarded.

>Without nostalgia goggles [...] morrowind is the best game in the series thus far
Really makes you think

Talking is what good RPGs is about.
It is great because you don't beat it with the game mechanics. To beat the quest you must use your knowledge of the world. You ask the Arch-Mage for a quest, expecting that he'll tell you to murder something in a cave. But then he nonchalantly tells you to figure out what happened to the dwarves. Nobody knows what happened to them. You are not even given any clues where to start. It may seem unfair, but it really isn't if you start thinking.

You might remember that lady in the Ald'Ruhn Mage's Guild that gave you Dwemer themed quests. Better pay her a visit. Huh, as a Telvanni I encountered that hermit in Gnisis, and know that he is a scholar on the Dwemer. Better pay him a visit. Oh, through my many travels on the island I have found some strange unintelligible books on your travels through Dwemer ruins. Wasn't there a Dwemer in the dungeons of Fyr?

You put the pieces together and return to the shocked Trebonius with a detailed hypotesis. What is the reward? A forgettable great staff of wizarding or whatever? The reward your character recieves is a "thank you" muttered from Trebonius. The true reward lies in beating a real nut of a quest, further engrossment into the great lore of the game, and embarrassing that indifferent asshole of a mage.

This is a true RPG quest. It takes you all over Vvardenfell and deep into the setting. Enjoy your rapid burning shallow Oblivion quests. They are all just individual rides in the blandest theme park imaginable.

>go to this skeleton cave to get a thing
>go to this ayelid ruin full of skeletons, who are ayelid? lol who cares
>there are rats in my basement!
>there's another oblivion gate that needs our help

It's true. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls and even I can see Morrowind is best.

>Morrowind
>Shit

Too bad you have to suffer through 50 different fetch quests to get to one decent quest.

The most critical component of a ROLE PLAYING GAME, is a world worth immersing yourself in. Oblivion failed in this element.

You know what my biggest gripe with this game is? This fucking city.

Where should we put the market district?
>Away from the bridge, away from the waterfront, and close to the prison!

Where should the arena go?
>Someplace NOT connected to the prison! Why would we use prisoners in a gladiator arena?

Where should the waterfront district go?
>Down a hill in bumfuck nowhere, despite the fact it should be the most important economic location in all of the Empire!

What should go around white-gold tower?
>Not upscale housing, high-end shops, or anything interesting at all!

What should the single entrance by land connect to?
>The fucking Talos Plaza district!

What should surround the largest city in all of Tamriel?
>Fucking nothing!

How many ships should fit in the waterfront?
>3

>No roads around the outside
>Fucking bandits allowed on the island
>Lake Rumare is fucking small
>Bridges prevent any large ships from sailing up to the Lake anyways
>Any unused land near the Imperial City
>No super expensive player housing in the wealthy residential districts

FFS it's like they just wanted a random bumfuck city to be the CAPITAL OF THE EMPIRE.

>Bethesda games are so bad that people call their games "Bethesda games" because they are too dull to fall into any category