Just got to Yangus' town and heading out now to go see Red...

Just got to Yangus' town and heading out now to go see Red. Should I be upgrading my armor at every chance or should I only purchase upgrades when they are pretty big so I spend less money that way? I don't really use the alchemy pot that often but I think once I get it again(it's unusable right now because Medea was stolen. I want to devote some time to it after though.

I'm also very reluctant to buy upgrades because so far every time I buy one I end up finding one right after in a chest somewhere. Will I find an upgrade to copper sword somewhere soon or should I just splurge for it? I'm going swords on hero.

Also general DQ thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kpeYa95mvKM
youtu.be/e_bQZ9cDqZI?t=3m25s
youtu.be/muaJpe5VJPk?t=7m24s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Go to the Dark Ruins
>Can't enter because you need the Magic Mirror
>Go to Argonia
>Go to the Hunting Grounds to hunt some dragons to a fat fuck
>Go back to Argonia and get the mirror
>The mirror has no magic
>Go to the spring to talk to the old man
>The mirror needs to be enchanted by a sea dragon

I just want to fight Dhoulmagus, goddammit.

What are you talking about that was a fun fetch quest.
The Dhoulmagus fight is neat.

You're early in the game. If you just use the armor you find in shops or dungeons, you'll be fine. Once you get the Argonia Bazaar, that's when you go crazy with alchemy. You can do alchemy now, but you'll just make yourself overpowered.

More like padding. The moonshadow harp quest was fine, but this is bullshit.

Dont even need to upgrade, just search everything.

There will be another later, so don't worry.

>but you'll just make yourself overpowered.
Sounds like a good reason to start doing it in that case.

Been waiting for a DQ thread to ask the age old question; Could you niggas recommend me a game to start of with? I've been wanting to get into this series for a fucking eternity but never got round to it. Would I miss much, or anything, if I just picked up the newest 3DS game and went from there?

3 5 8
you could have made your own thread

Yeah, they shouldn't have made you pumped up and then throw you everywhere, but the Dark Ruins are pretty good, hang in there.

The ds remake of 4 is what I started with. It was a good time.

buy? just make stuff with synthesis.

at least thats what I remember, its been a -long- time since I played this.

>tfw someone deleted our 200h+ save
will never not be mad.

>8
>5
>4
>3
In that order. Read the wikis and watch some reviews for the rest.

youtube.com/watch?v=kpeYa95mvKM

I'd recommend this guy. This series is a fairly honest look back at the franchise.

I tried 7 for a bit, but it was too slow at the start and people told me to try 8 instead. So get 8. It's pretty fun so far.

Also am I really that early? I think I have almost 17 hours in it. If that's early then fantastic. I don't want it to end.

I reached the post game at 70 hours. And I've played the PS2 game 5 times, so I know what I'm doing. A lot of time was also spent on doing the new picture quest.

Your first time, you can easily spend 80-90 hours just getting to the post game. And then the post game is quite big. With even more in the 3DS version.

They are standalone games, just keep in mind they are true Jrpg. expect a lot of grinding, backtracking and no hand holding.

the actual defense stat on armor is not that important at that point (damage formula subtracts def/4, so for example a +20 defense upgrade only reduces physical hits by 5 damage), so you can save yourself a bit of money by not buying armor that doesn't have special effects on it. i wouldn't worry that much about potentially finding duplicates- worst case you can sell it back for half, but odds are you can use it for alchemy too. i don't recall it happening that often, either.

I didn't do post because i think it ends with you marrying jessica, and she is a slut.

at least update it for once

I don't really play jrpgs, but I managed to beat P4G and XC despite those games taking a ton of time. So long as the game doesn't overstay its welcome then that sounds amazing.
As for post game I don't really care for it in any game. Once the final boss goes down then off to the next game.
But fuck me. I have two months to beat the game before Yooka Laylee comes out. And the P5 immediately after.

Wait I need to do postgame to fuck cowtits? God damn it.

I'm not too worried about armor upgrades. Am worried more about the sword though. It's a fairly big upgrade. Which I think I'm gonna go for it before I meet Red.

In the 3DS version, you choose between Jessica or Medea by doing a series of events. In the PS2 version, Medea is the only girl you marry.

Medea is obviously the only right choice. Of course.

>As for post game I don't really care for it in any game. Once the final boss goes down then off to the next game.
This and Red Dead Redemption are the few games where you really should care about the post game. They extend the actual story and explain things. But I won't tell you what since it will spoil it.

I played the game carefully so i wouldn't end with jessica. the last segment just went on its own and ended with best girl so i assumed the post was an alternative ending kinda thing which was a big no-no.

medea dies

:thinking:

>so i assumed the post was an alternative ending kinda thing which was a big no-no.

Nope. It depends on what you told Medea in the carriage ride. And even then, you can tell Jessica no in the post game.

vanilla playthrough - normal ending
beat postgame - best ending
watch added new scenes - jessica ending

I think it works like that.

Much better, so i just need to return to the flying fortress and go in that clusterfuck again?

No, you have to do all the Dragovian trials. Which is the post game story.

The boat was funnier

>Go find a boat
>there's one in a canyon for no reason
>don't know how to get it out
>go to Trodain's Library to maybe get some info
>while there the moonshadow window opens for you again for some reason I guess
>Ishmahri can get the boat out for you cool
>his harp breaks
>there's another one somewhere in Ascantha
>go talk to king
>king is more than happy to give it to you
>it was taken by mole niggers
>beat up mole niggers
>take harp
>bring it to Ishmahri
>finally get your god damn boat

Where is that

There's a totally inconspicuous platform just kind of chilling between Baccarat and Argonia for whatever reason. Go there after you beat the game.

Good goys, the Bonus DLC item today is a gold nugget.

>going through Pirate's Cove
>Red tells me there's nothing up ahead and to go back
>find nothing
>go the other way
>can't climb down the water because I can't swim I guess
Am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to be like this?

why did you say good goys

She was lying. There's kind of a hidden turn handle and once you turn it it drains the water and she's all thanks for solving the puzzle for me dipshit

>You obtain a seed of defence!
alright

He's an idiot.

The conspicuous platform you saw in the ending sequence. North of Argonia.

>everyone keeps saying DLC is working
>tried it yesterday and today and still it won't work

Strange, just opened my bag to see if I didn't hallucinate and it's there.

don't bully

Yeah, there's some bug going on. You have to delete your extra data (not the save data, please) and maybe run a system update to get it to work. You will lose your pics and stuff, so make a backup if you give a damn.

>Captain Crow is absolutely enthralled by Jessica's fine form!
>Captain Crow's tension levels returned to normal
ezpz

Or you could just play one of the games, you colossal faggot

the thumbnail for this looks like the party is intently watching Jess give a handjob

what's wrong with 7?

Fuck that. I'm not going to delete stuff just to get extra stuff.

Guys I made it to the final dungeon in DQ7.

The end is finally in sight.

>he thinks he's at the end
How cute.

>Saves the world
>find out what happened to your parents
>ruin Charmless big day
>marry my girl while also dening childhood friend
God damn, one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen.

No this is actually at the end of disc 2.

I'm just hoping we get a few special items like Erdrick's Sword that are not normally available in-game

I doubt we are gonna get anything really good, just some items for early game.

>Jessica remains lifeless!
when the fuck do I get kazing

Jessica gets it when you max out staves
Red gets it somewhere in Fan
And Angelo gets it when Leveling up I think

On a normal playthrough where you don't grind, when you first get red.

If you're slime grinding, Trodain.

Around level 40 for Angelo I think. Or going down Staves for Jessica.

It's very very big. It has fantastic dungeon design but the encounters are a bit on the poor side. Lot of recolored bosses. And again, the game is huge. It can be a bit impenetrable for a newcomer.

It's personally my favorite but I recommend 8 and 5 as entry level games to people.

Can Red use Knife skills if she has a Sword equipped?

Yes.

The flow of the game is dictated by story instead of gameplay. That's really it. The majority of flaws such as party members leaving. super long NPC dialogue or some dungeons/towns being too big come down to the story.

Still a game worth playing. But you really have to be ready for a very specific type of game. Like you can't just jump head first into a Final Fantasy game and expect freedom to explore.

Game does have some odd padded parts.
Like why did they make me climb that shitty Buccanham tower three fucking times when I'm already like 50 hours into the game?
Its not like people would complain about the game being too short at this point.

I'm actually attempting to get into the series, at least with the newer games from DS and onwards, with DQ7. So far it is pretty simple and rehashy but god fucking damn man does it have its moments.

>MUST REHEAT SOUP
>SOUP WILL ASSURE REVIVAL
...THANK...YOU...

fuck you for making me remember this
have you been to nottagen yet?

I have no idea what that is. I'm actually at the part I mentioned, just got done with that island and its present part. Guess I better fuck off before I get spoilered.

People are trying to paint the nottagen shit as feelsy but its honestly mostly retarded.

It felt like a parody of previous islands.

>It felt like a parody of previous islands.
Probably why the localization team changed its name to a cheesy pun pointing that out.

even ignoring the silly name whats going on there just gets dumber and dumber.

So I'm at the final dungeon in DQ7, do I need to prepare myself or is what I'm bringing alright?

Hero as Hero, Ruff as Champion, Maribel as Druid and Sir Mervyn as Paladin because he was gone too long.
I'd need to max warrior on Mervyn to make him a Champion.

You'd be alright. The boss can be beaten with just intermediate classes. Only the bonus boss is hard.

>ebgames preorder bonus came in the mail
>almost a month late
sasuga ebgames-san

The first form of the final boss is easier than the final form you fight hours later. Just run in there with any combination of tier 3 classes and you'll win.

Of course its not the final part of the game. Just the end of the main game. The final boss is ridiculous.

Looks like (we)ebgames is not so hayai.

My general rule for buying equipment in RPGs is not buying it unless it increases stats by at least 20 or some such number. You save a lot more money than if you just buy everything that comes along.

Speaking of Dragon Quest 7 3ds, Is anyone else triggered as fuck that your PC's unique animation skill is Blade of ultimate power which is in Champion and not hero? The same sorta goes for Aishe and Swords Dance, but at least Pirate also has that and she still looks pretty great.

Man I'm really interested in seeing the Jessica ending, but the thought that Medea would get stuck with that faggot Charmless terrifies me. Please tell me she gets out of that engagement regardless.

Medea still best girl. All that dream/mystic spring shipping really worked

Why is 9 hated so much. Its a better game than 8 overall. Gameplay certainly has it beat.

That's actually not a bad way to think. It's what I usually try to do. But I never know if a "meaningless" increase while worthless in one game, might make all the difference in another.

How do I open that damn Alexadnria Tower?

Meme. People who first hate it have only played VIII in PS2 before playing IX. Thus they hate how your party member don't have personality. They thought that "this isn't how DQ is" and spreading out how bad DQIX is. However, they didn't know that DQIII also had the same thing.

I'm not a fan of 3 generic NPCs as party members. Half the fun of the more recent dragon quests is reading all the party chats

go to Jessica's house and recruit one of the kids

>Its a better game than 8 overall. Gameplay certainly has it beat.
Oh you mean "Knight Watch to win" the game?

It lacks the exploration of other DQ games. Each area just feels like a self-contained zone (like the islands in DQVII). Overworld exploration is non exisitant besides searching daily blue chests for alchemy items, which gets old real quick. Alchemy was totally ruined from DQVIII because now it takes dozens (if not 99) of each item, meaning more time wasting looking for spider webs or saints ashes. The gameplay is also extremely slow because the characters keep running around (which your position and the visual means nothing in combat). Finally, the wifi system cripples the game for anyone outside Japan. The story also just didn't keep me interested. I wish it was more like DQIII and focused on the hero. Not just you being a helper who walks around fixing everyone elses problems like in DQVII.

From the sound of it, DQX fixed all these issues. But of course, we can't play it.

That and it doesn't help that it was released in a handheld with shitty graphic compared to the previous game.

>Yangus' hair
Fucking finally! I always wondered how it was under that piece of broken pottery. Thanks.

>The gameplay is also extremely slow because the characters keep running around (which your position and the visual means nothing in combat)
The combat speed is literally the same with VIII ps2 (or VIII 3ds without fast forward).

>The combat speed is literally the same with VIII ps2 (or VIII 3ds without fast forward).
Don't know how you judged that. But even then, it still isn't. DQVIII has visible attack animations. But they are 1-2 seconds long. Characters in DQIX spend 1-4 seconds running around on the field, then do a seperate attack animation just like in DQVIII.

>without fast forward
I think you missed that part

>What level should I be around on average right now? Just got the quest from Red to go get the Venus Tear. Most of my party is hanging around 16-17 or so.
Fuck. I meant 17-19.

youtu.be/e_bQZ9cDqZI?t=3m25s
youtu.be/muaJpe5VJPk?t=7m24s
Just compare any videos with battle and compare the time it needs to finish one turn.
Hell, even without timing it you can see how slow the combat speed in the original DQVIII is.

As long as you don't grind metal slimes, you're on the average level required for the your current area.

Cool. I'm almost tempted to grind slimes because I love how absurdly fast they make my team level, but it's boring.

Keep this thread alive guys. I've had DQ threads reach bump limit before and the conversations are always so nice and relatively shitpost free. Hope it's stick kicking when I get back.

Forgot to add. That, and not running away from monsters.

If you run faster than monsters you are at the right level. If they run from you, you are above them.

>Game series is called Dragon Quest
>Dragon Lord is the only final boss in the series that's actually a dragon
>everyone else is a Demon Lord
I want my dragons back.

You're just dreaming right now, user. You've really got 50 hours more to go.

A fast forward option has nothing to do with what I said. I was pointing out that DQIX has extra animations. Which adds more time to battles.

Your videos are horrible examples as they are not comparable. One has the team calling out a monster team which doesn't represent normal battle speed in DQVIII. The video of DQIX on the other hand, the player keeps having half the team defend, which means they aren't running around the field at all. Whereas you can clearly see the one character who is set to attack is running around the field and attacking, taking longer than everyone else.

This is called cherry picking.

Just wait for Dragon Quest XI.