In all of vidya history necromancy has always sucked balls

In all of vidya history necromancy has always sucked balls.
WHY?

muh balance!

Because people can never do justice to represent necromancy properly.

I mean, give me one game where you can create a bone giant on the spot, or summon a zombie dragon?

because it's just "le spoopy undeed :^)" "i'm better than death xd"

Because necromancy is a shit concept.

>Shit tier
Diablo 3 necromancer
>Good tier
Diablo 2 necromancer
>Great tier
Path of Exile necrowitch or necrotemplar
>Elder Lich tier
Diablo 2 median xl necromancer

Because its inherently passive, you are summoning/resurrecting shit to kill things for you. What would you do to make this interesting?

raising zombies in TW:Warhammer is pretty fun

It only works on a strategic level. Seven thousand power liches. Personal necromancy sucks balls.

Is pretty neat for HoMM or MOM.

Not that user, but I'd add things other than just summoning undead and creating more and more creatively wacky and powerful creatures.

Why not use it as a economy-friendly set of spells (farming skeletons)? Or to build things (calcified ships made of bones)?

Since it has the most obvious potential for abuse, it ends up getting the most limitations.

Also see: Instant Death spells.

Because videogames can't handle concepts like paper rpgs can.

This sucks.

At least there should be ways to remove the limitations.

Instant death spells are awful because they're usually balanced by having a low chance to hit. This makes investing mana/spell slots/penis inches in them annoying.

>What would you do to make this interesting?
actually having to gather body parts to make summonings.
Have to stealth into graveyards to dig stuff up, transport it back to your lair unnoticed, and do your magics without the town folk raiding your shit.
Gathering supplies til you can maker your mark on the world.
Learning new spells, traveling the lands, making up new spells/abominations.

It would take a lot of effort to do it right, which is why it will never be done. No one in the video game industry has any talent.

There needs to be a construction game where you can revive dead creatures and stick them back together to build crazy necromancy-powered machines of terror

Like Besiege except metal as fuck

>always
Guild Wars.

Diablo 3 added necromancer? I thought they claimed 'it would kill the story wah!'

Not that I'm gonna replay Diablo 3 to try it. Should have done it years ago.

Yeah, making a game focused on this type of thing might be a better idea than trying to make it work as a class in a game that does too many other things also.

Slap some good edgy art on it a la Darkest Dungeon and you got yourself an indie game hit, really.

>raise villiage elder's wife as a zombie
>he's driven to madness, the villiage collapses

>building abominations out of individually scrounged parts like in shivering isles

>going down the process of becoming a lich including killing yourself

They realized d3 killed the story on it's own so the concept of lorerape is nonexistent

Yep. Although my dream game would be like this:
>Start as your typical necromancer with skeletons and zombies
>As you progress, you get to fuse your creations and use them in creative ways (like cutting down wood, farming, construction)
>At one point you can build siege engines, ships and blimps out of your minions
>Endgame ability is to build a undead death-star that shoots zombie balls

My theory is that the necromancer as a class is just too unique to be put in a game with more traditional classes without making it a travesty like the GW2 necromancer.

In order to for the necromancer to feel good the game has to be completely changed to accommodate that class. How do you balance a class that can summon an entire raid party by itself without making the thralls weak to the point of uselessness?

pic related

>necrotemplar
>Losing out on the glory that is Flesh Offering affecting you
Necrowitch is the only acceptable PoE Summoner nowadays.
Hell, her Necromancer tree is so good that some self-cast spell builds will go Witch just for it.
It's a shame the Quality of Life for Summoners is so unequivocally shit.

because you are underage and didn't play d2 before they nerfed them

because necromancy is black magic and black magic is illegal afaik

Basically this

Also you have to remember that necromancers just don't work in a multiplayer enviroment because either you only allow each necromancer to have an extremely limited number of minions or the game breaks when a large number fo necromancers bring their personal armies to one place.

I tried out a hacked build pre lod that had 99 of each skeleton. A lot of other skills could do ridiculous stuff like how fast paladins could move with a maxed out aura. Then everything got capped.

Dominons, mate. Necromancy done right.

>How do you balance a class that can summon an entire raid party by itself without making the thralls weak to the point of uselessness?
2 possibilities.
1. You make the game tactics-based. Every class needs to be a summoner, so you could have your elven war marshal, your orc warchief, your archmage summoner, all summoner classes who can pull units. Then the gameplay can be anything, first person, third person, but probably top-down. The combat could be either turn or real time, but the focus is you use your character to summon and then execute tactics and flanking and all that shit with your summons. The problem there is you can't have a character that's starting out from nothing, to have units under his command he needs to be a somebody already, it works for a game like homm but not so much for most other genre, would work for a MOBA for example.
The other possibility is a game that's exclusively about a necromancer's rise from nothing to an ancient lich or whatever, then you can make the mechanics whatever you want, and the game would ramp properly from attacking caravans to attacking villages to attacking castles to attacking capitals and fighting from two caravan guards to militia to entire imperial armies.

No magic is illegal.

You simply need to know when and what to use for what purpose.

In all of OP's life, he has never played Dwarf Fortress
Why is OP such a candy-assed shit sucker

>play HoMM 3
>rush power liches
>win every time

>death-star that shoots zombie balls
Why not rebuild the Helios station from Borderlands?
>Moonshot cannon fires zombies instead of loaders
>"Moon" is also made of large quantities of bones and meat

I'm not OP but the last time I played DF, necromancy was just reanimated nails and strands of hair to zerg rush your opponent.

>Diablo 2 Necro
>Bad
>Literally the only character that can beat hell with crappy as fuck gear even if it does take 20 years to kill shit on hell.

In a easy game he was the easiest do nothing sit behind army and use decepify shitter ever.

Top of my head, Warband mods and TES games have delivered decent necromancy, there is also the Dominion games which go batshit with the undead

Main issue is devs are too lazy making AI script.
AI is the most flawed area in pretty much all RPGs/Strategy games.
Only the autistic ones like Dwarf Fortress are able take the concept of necromancy and make it work.

Becuz balance :^)

Necro was fine in D2. You summon to have a meat shield and you fuck everything up with curses and corpse explosion or bone spear. Git gud, shitter.

DF necromancer
>Animate 500 zombies.
>Whenever one of them glet slashed apart just raise said part invidicually

Such reckless faggotry, yet so satisfying

t. necromancer
fuck off and start practicing useful magic you fucking necrojunkie

WUT FUCKING MOD

technical limits, multiplayer balance and just generally blizzard.

/thread

It was really boring. You stood there waiting for something to die and then spammed corpse explosion and everything was dead.

I mean, visually it might be interesting but mechanically it's boring.

>You can't even control the skeletons, they're just used as spell effects for generic spells

FUCKING STOP THIS YOU FUCKS.

Make your minions also your resource for casting strong spells

Someone make a necromancer mod for mount and blade

Why bother when I can created undead sorcerers to do it for me?

Why not:
>You have a fixed-cap Mana pool
>Summoned Minions reserve some amount, flat or %, of that Mana

that's a skyrim mod that does exactly that
you need to loot corpses for bones, have every main skeleton bone + a soul gem or more shit like troll skulls for monsters, then you can raise skellie followers, and you can add other items to give them spells
you can also raise undead dragons

Which one?

Can it summon farmer skeletons and power the economy?

No?

Go away plebeian.

Saw this right after posting oops

>I thought they claimed 'it would kill the story wah!'
No, they didn't want to add it because it would have been too similar to Witch Doctor. Apparently they've made it in a way that you actually have some control over the skeletons you summon.

>oldschool runescape slated to release necromancy spell book
>oh boy oh boy summoning and shit
>turns out you can only raise a ded nigga if he drops his head and he comes back with limited hp so you can kill him again and gain prayer xp
>also you have a 50-75% chance of resurrecting dead crops
who the fuck thought this was a good idea let alone should be called necromancy

>Summon Vengeful Spirit, receives bonus damage from Minion Damage
>It's just another colored projectile

I think someone needs to make your idea.

>actually having to gather body parts to make summonings.
there is a skyrim mod like that, it only sounds fun, ultimately it grows old and kinda boring, summoner style is just boring in action games, it only works in strategy games

What's that mod?

9th page too.

Chronicles of Might and Magic

Because being a necromancer would be kickass in real life but in games it'll always devolve into a chore. You play a video game to do something, not just to summon a horde of skeletons that do everything for you.

>What is Diablo 2, HoM&M, Path of Exile, etc.

>PoE
>Good anything.

I love Sacrifice, and the charnel spells, but i dunno, it doesn't really feel all that necromancy, creature design is top notch tho, even if some are recolored creatures with rotten bits added

Unholy DK from Wrath-Cata was fun as hell in pvp

>>ghoul army and permanent henchman
>>gargoyle summon
>>can bring back dead allies as ghours
>>spread rot and disease across many targets
>>powerful anti-magic abilities
>>necrotic strike slowing cast times and absorbing healing

woah

Don't talk shit when you clearly don't know shit

>HOMM3 necromancer
>lots of low level unit stacks on the map

>sucked balls