Were Paper Jam/Dream Team any good?

Were Paper Jam/Dream Team any good?

yep

very
Dream Team>>Paper Jam though

Dream Team was pretty good, aside from the giant battles being shit.

I replayed Superstar Saga a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun, playing through Partners in Time now, it's fun, but not really as fun as superstar was.

Dream Team was great, if you liked BiS you'll like it. Most of the characters from BiS make a return here. Nice gameplay, decent story, overall fun experience. Worst parts were the gimmicky dream sequences that used the touch screen.

Paper Jam was ok, but felt more like a fan fiction than an actual game. Gameplay is pretty much the same as dream team, hell they even reused some of the bros moves. Story was cookie cutter at best, and there were no unique enemies or bosses, just old Mario faces in paper and non-paper form. Worth playing once, but not more than that.

Haven't played Paper Jam but I hear the gameplay is the best of the bunch and the writing is still top notch but the story and world are bland.

Dream Team is good but heavily flawed. The tutorials are excessive and the 2d sections are still kinda eh.

What the fuck? I thought Sup Forums had a generally negative outlook on DT?

Anyway, DT is really slow and boring. Okay for a one time run if you like the series but past that it's just awful. PJ is really stale in every department besides the comedy one, so there's that I guess. It's really more like an interactive cartoon than it is a game, you just push through the "gameplay" to get to the entertaining dialogue scenes

Dream Team is literally BIS with Bowser replaced by Luigi's dreams
Paper Jam has a garbage overworld (like BIS) but significantly improves the combat mechanics and got rid of the tutorials

So of the two, which is recommended?

at the risk of sounding pretentious I just think Partners In Time had a really inconsistent, weird tone.

like, half of it was the sort of silly shenanigans that usually follows mario characters and half of it was psuedo-horrifying stories of like aliens draining life energy from toads and tying them to trees or some shit.

it's alright though because all the M&L RPGs are better than most other RPGs.

I didn't play PJ, but it seems not to be very different quality wise from DT so I passed. It's been years and these devs have never made a game as good as SS.

Dream Team becomes a horrific slog because of its dream world segments, but it's still very fun. The variety of equipment with unique abilities is my favorite part of it. Its full length, if you go for 100% completion, is about 46~ hours, though like I said, the dream segments are part of the reason for this and they really are fucking terrible.

Paper Jam, for all of its improvements over the core formula of the series and other quality of life stuff, is also a slog. I had to put it down at least twice, and I didn't feel compelled to 100% it. The entire final dungeon makes me want to hang myself.

What happened to the series after SS? I thought all the SS love was just blind nostalgia but going back to ir, it's insane to see the differences. SS is just way too much fun and the only one that comes close to it is BIS and that's not by much

Don't get me wrong, I like the other games, but wow. It's really crazy to see how tame the series got with PIT

Paper Jam was very meh and lacked interesting OC. Also maybe I'm a casual but I prefer the balance being around two brothers rather than three.

I never want to see a toad again in my life.

DT. Aside from the pacing, it's the much better game

Would've liked Partners in Time more if you could visit the areas in present too. Toad Town, at least. 4 member team also made it impossible to die and it was kind of dumb that only the babies could use hammers.

If you could only play one Dream Team it's just more fun has more fun characters and story and everything. Plus Luigi

Paper Jam is extremely bland, it's amazing how bland they managed to make the game actually it's such a step away from every other entry.

Really? The dream battles were the best. Seriously, the battle system there had to be the best in a long time

Both were great
Dream Team was arguably better overall in terms of creativity, but I feel like Paper Jam has it beat in combat and music.

Do you enjoy special attacks that are far too long for the damage they deal, making every fight a choice between playing well and not wanting to kill yourself?

>Dream
Yeh
>paper
Nu

The only problem BIS had was the constant minigames, especially the touchscreen ones.
And, coming from PiT (the EU version, even), the final boss died way too easily.

Bowser's Inside Story > Super Star Saga > Dream Team > Paper Jam > Partners in Time

Paper Mario and TTYD > Inside Story

Dream exploration is boring schlock that moves too slowly and all Luiginary abilities (I'm talking about the ones outside of battle) take too long to use to be any fun. Dream battles are whatever, visually it's fun to watch the attacks and stuff but it feels like playing through platformer levels where every enemy takes you into an RPG battle (which it essentially is). If Luiginary abilities didn't force you to wait all of the time and Dream World was just a straight platformer, no RPG battles just jump and hammer baddies or use Luigi stacks to squash em', then those sections would have been acceptable.

>Bowser's Inside Story > Super Star Saga
They're both at the top of my list, but I can't decide which one is truly better.
>BIS had better battles, SSS was comfier and had better overworld

SSS also had the best minigames.