Can somebody give me a reason why the entire 8th generation of consoles was a colossal failure?

Can somebody give me a reason why the entire 8th generation of consoles was a colossal failure?

Why couldn't just one company do a competent job?

the only one that failed was the wiiu.

The other two are fairly successful

I own a PS4 after skipping last gen. I'm satisfied with it. What's wrong?

Nintendo dropped the ball hard, but this is the first generation that I finally went full idort.

>W101
>Halo 5
>Splatoon
>GoW4
>DKC:TF
>Recore
>Forza
>Wooly World
>MK8
>PSVR

It's been a pretty ok generation OP. I literally just use my PS4 for artsy shit, cheap VR, and Planetside 2 since PC version has implants and horrible impulse breaking patches

Going to grab a Scorpio and Switch this year most likely. I'm going to wait pretty hard on the PS5 tho, even now the PS4 barely has anything I want, but I had the spare cash and love PS2. At least I got Nier I suppose.

Companies don't care anymore

>my console bombed so I'm going to try drag down everyone else to my level

Fuck off Shitbox None exclusives left. Microdick is leaving the gaming industry.

>Can somebody give me a reason why the entire 8th generation of consoles was a colossal failure?
> Why couldn't just one company do a competent job?
The Switch isn't even out yet ...

One side go full "creative/gimmick/innovative", drop the ball by using mediocre hardware.

The other side go full "hardware/specs/graphics" and drop the ball by not providing good games.

Both are wrong,

Switch isn't 8th gen.

>colossal failure
Please explain how the PS4 is a failure. I don't even own one, but I'd like to know why you see it as a fail?

>very affordable
>decent size library with more to come
>no gimmicky, waggle, camera bullshit built deeply into the design
>offers VR option for console friends that might want it
>1080p
>top tier controller
>caters to gamers(dudebros, weebs, casuals, "hardcore", etc)
>not suffering from the hardware failure problems of last gen
>a lot of exclusive titles

even the wii-u is not that bad of a system. if nintendo had invested more in it, and pushed harder for 3rd party support, it could've been a more popular console.

7th wasn't all that either.

Is this shit real or ironic? How is it possible to enjoy that list of games and expect people to take you seriously if those are the only things you like? I mean sure, some of them are ok, but as your sole lineup? Nothing else? I mean I can understand autism with people only playing Grand Strategy or Fighting games, but only Sony platform games in 2017? Did I just get meme'd?

nice library of shit you have there

Wii U still payed for itself and more.
Hardly a failure.

>I don't like video games

>not a weeb
>must not like video games
wth man go kill yourself

don't go against the grain, over here everyone loves sony, and nobody got meme'd by sony, ever in history, nobody is getting paid either

You'd have a point if they weren't either rehashes or mediocre.

I mean, uncharted? Really?
That series has had like five games in two generations not counting the remaster and it's just more of the same shit with barely any changes.

Because of buying a pc where you can up the graphics and fps on your own, people decide to pay full price for old games. You can't blame the companies for selling idiots what they want.

you can pay a premium to increase the PC headroom for games, you don't pay "full price" for the software but you're constantly pumping hundred dollar bills into the machine

I already like 8th gen more than 7th

It's a failed console user, I don't think I've ever owned a console I didn't like as much as the Wii U. It was a piece of shit.

I meant to say instead of buying a pc. Typo

Yeah sure, we're talking about if it was a failure or not user. Keep up.

Microsoft went full retard with the release of the Xbone.

>always online
>drm games
>literally no exclusives
>weaker than the ps4

Sony did fine, but PC shitters will fight it tooth and nail because it has games they cant play.

Nintendo shit the bed hard though. Really hard.
>tried to recapture the Wii market, who all left to mobile app shit
>absolutly no third party support, and any support got ported over at some point
>huge, HUGE drought of games, and most were dogshit like Star Fox
>only worthwhile game is now a port to thier new console

This is 100% correct. Only Nintendrones and PCucks will argure because it trigger thems like little baby fuck wads.

>Sony did fine, but PC shitters will fight it tooth and nail because it has games they cant play.

Give me a list of sony or console exclusive games, and I'll show how many of them I'd consider playing. Ideally a .jpg image list

PC + Nintendo the only non retarded option.

Why thr fuck would I care what specific games you want to play.

Why the hell should I give a shit about you.

>PC + Nintendo
>I can emulate pretty much every Nintendo console an play the games for free

Keep wasting your money.

Stop making bullshit arguments if you can't handle that not everyone wants to play your kiddie weeb anime games

>sony did fine
The ps4 came out in 2013 and didn't get its first game until 2015. How is that fine Shill?

>Spend 1500 dollarydoos to play top quality vidya
>Totally fine with barely functioning 15 fps broken sound emulation

Yeah you're totally not a sonygger.

The Wii U from what I've read has retarded hardware with a hideous anorexic PowerPC CPU, it would've had to leech of previous-gen ports like the Wii did.

The PS4 and Xbone are very similar machines and both are perfectly valid, though I'm partial to the latter because of the comfier controller (even have one of those custom ones) and an online service that actually works.

PC has more potential by its expandability alone, but Steam is a fucking plague, Windows sucks, and half the games don't work right. But when it does work it's elder god-tier.

>bullshit argument

And you claiming what only YOU want to play is the end all judgement isnt a bullshit argument? Youre a fucking idiot.

Reminder that PS4 owners are largely cancer and the ones saying they just buy weeab shit are most likely lying, Not that I'm defending weeab trash. Those games like last guardian and gravity w/e are hot trash.

>only me
You have to be really fucking delusional to not acknowledge that the PC gaming has been on a steady rise lately. Gee I wonder if it has anything to do with the console games being so shitty lately.

are you telling me you want a quick rundown?

>on the rise
Holy fucking kek

>console ported games out the ass
>most games have shit ports
>said games all have antipiracy because companies know pc users dont buy games
>since no one buys games more companies invest in actual profitible markets
>literaly no exclusives except garbage like Undertale, which you faggots will still defend
>"exclusives" like stardew get ported to consoles
>claim to hate every game not ported to PC, yet cheer when it finally is
>cheaters out the ass on multiplayer games
>own literally none of your games. Steam is kill? Bye bye everything!

I could go on, but id like to see you refute at least 3 of these points.

>kek
Underage
You're wrong for the most part but this year has hope with arena fpses coming back.

kys

PS4 has more good games than the Wii U, tho

>no argument:the post

All you needed was three. Couldnt even do one! Sad.

>half of that list is remasters, ports, and remakes
>most of it is multi-platform
I get that you like it, but it's not exactly plentiful in exclusives, either.

Too much games tbqh.

>>console ported games out the ass
much rather play doom on PC than on console, same with Battlefield 1. I don't play many multiplat games, because they're generally shit.. but seeing how console plebs have to standards, they seem to be the most popular games for console crowd
>said games have anti-piracy
yeah no shit, I can play everything from 1983 to modern day with computer. A ps4 will only play native ps4 discs, unless you do sony a favor and buy the ps1/2 game from their store. Having to buy a "closed box" that gets dated in couple of years, to abandon those games you had on previous system, and repeat the process.. it almost seems like the console makers could give very little shit if people won't be able to play their game 4-6 years after their console is dead. On pc there's constantly old games being remade to be resold with updates or stuff.
>literally no exclusives
every single sim game for PC works better for PC, every single indie game works better on PC (especially the ones designed for PC first, and not some console arcade). I would not trade the experience of playing a game designed for K+M "control scheme" to play an idiot's version of Morrowind (read, it's called Oblivion and everything that's come after it). At least the 6th gen games still made some effort of trying to be good and complicated even on consoles, but once the 7th gen was launched everything was "simplified" for the xbox360 and ps3 owners.
ok. It's not my type of game anyway
??
>>cheaters out the ass on multiplayer games
Oh yeah because consoles don't have soft mods or cheating either. Tell you what, I rather take risk of running to cheater when playing with a K+M control scheme, than suffer the misery of having to play multiplayer game with gamepad + aim assists (or simplified gameplay).
>own none of games, if steam..
now you're stretching

No argument needed. I'm sorry you're ignorant about the subject. That doesn't mean the baseline competency needs to be knocked fro you.

60+ million ps4 sold isnt a colossal failure (:

This guy did a pretty good job. Guess you're just a cuck user. Sorry to hear that.

Tomorrow is Gamestop's pro point day or some shit, either way supposedly you get +20% trade in if you have their yearly discount card.

I'm gonna trade in my xbone because they have an extra $50 trade in deal as well.

I hope to get over $150 back.

It literally has nothing besides console shooters going for it. Everything else I can get on PC or nintendo.

>cuck
Grow up kid.

Have fun playing with your sale numbers.

Thanks, anx im hsving fun playing my niche weeb games too. Have fun playing your indie gamss like angels with dragon scales (:

BTFO

It's 50% extra BONUS. So on a $10 base trade, you get $12 instead of $11.

Because it has games now.

It's not 50% it's $50 extra. The $ means dollars.

I'm not referring to the picture, that was already going on before Sat.

>>console ported games out the ass
You're arguing with you're own opinions here. Fact is that games are made for the current gen consoles and then ported to PC, not the other way around.
>said games have anti-piracy
What the fuck are you even talking about here
>literally no exclusives
Again, what? You didn't bring up any PC exclusives, just said some are better to play on PC. And once again, games have been made to play on the console market since 2006, literally eleven years ago.
Fair enough.
Do you just, not browse this site? Where you not here when GTA5 got ported to PC?
>>cheaters out the ass on multiplayer games
Then you do that man, i'll stick to actually playing a fucking fair game.
>own none of games, if steam..
>>now you're stretching
I'm really not though. If steam dies, every single one of your games goes with it.

It was $125 + $50 a few weeks ago. GameStop always lowers trade in values for Pro Day.

>telling others to grow up
>on fucking Sup Forums

Where do you think we are faggot? This is rockbottom you shithead, if youre here youre fucked. Period.

>only worthwhile game is now a port to thier new console

There are still a few. Bayonetta 2 for example.

It doesn't have to be that way.

It's fueled by third-world toasters, F2P games, and eSports.

It wasn't a failure unless you're a sperg, shit-for-brains, manchild.

>You're arguing with you're own opinions here. Fact is that games are made for the current gen consoles and then ported to PC, not the other way around.
Oh but they didn't get dumbed down to the level they do now. The studios had passion and ambition before, they could almost port a deus ex or system shock 1 type of game for consoles, because they would go through the trouble and find a way of making a "purely K+M" type of game work. Want some proof? Look at morrowind, it's a good game even on xbox, ok sure you don't get the same K+M advantage on console, but I mean it's still in the game, so it means at least PC user will be able to take full advantage of the some subtle complexities of the game. Oblivion did away all that
>What the fuck are you even talking about here
are you stupid?
>literally no exclusives
Any indie, sim or oldie goodie game. Steam alone is filled with so many gems to play. And they're not overpriced either like many AAA games with 4 hours of content are.
>Do you just, not browse this site? Where you not here when GTA5 got ported to PC?
I wasn't browsing actively at the time when GTA5 stuff happened. But you'd have to be stupid to think that x360 and ps3 were the "intended game", when even the xbone and ps4 versions are much better version of that game. They simply didn't have the hardware to make the game at the time, so they decided to rush it on old hardware.
>Then you do that man, i'll stick to actually playing a fucking fair game.
It wouldn't be fair without the aim assist, would it?

Paid online and half-assed backwards compatibility (for ps4 and xbone to a lesser extent) killed it for me.

ITT: we post games that are fashionable to dislike

Nintendo fucked up, Microsoft fucked up, Sony was shit to begin with. At least Nintendo and Microsoft are going back to their roots. Let's just hope their E3 is good.

unironically kys

PS1 & 2 were GOAT.

>colossal failure
Only if you don't like video games. I've played plenty of games since I got my xbone at launch. You should stop browsing Sup Forums for a while, this place ruins video games for you by being negative all the time.

I meant this gen

>probably likes nintendo
>Hurrr fuck weeb shit
Fuck off. And if your none of the above you must be an xboner so doubly fuck off.

GC, Dreamcast, PS2, gamecube, xbox, PC.. everything that gen and the previous gen were good.

Doesn't the xbone only have like 22 million sales after 4 years?

That's pretty pathetic if you ask me given the 360 did, what, almost 100 million?

I'm pcfag that's mildly butthurt that some games don't get ported to pc, but that doesn't mean I'd want to spend 300-400 to buy a box to play just 1-2 games I want from that console.

How is microsoft going back to their roots?

I'm actually really out of the console loop

I donno, I think it's the games. Lack of quality ones.

I like my PS4 but I still definitely play my PS3, and maybe my 360, more than it. I have like 30 games for the thing and none of them really ever make me want to pick up the controller and play for very long.

Yeah I know, I meant Xbone, PS4 and Wii U.

I'll just refer you to my other post.

Xbox was always essentially a PC in the living room, Scorpio is finally that realization.

Of course you did. Now get back to that other place.

If you can't see that Sony's been shit since the PS3 then that's on you and I don't expect them to go back to PS1 and 2 any time soon, if they last that long.

hardly a failure is still a failure

This, mostly.

We know you like to shitpost because that's the only thing you do well but whatever

I know you do Sony faggot

The Wii U didn't sell a whole lot and didn't have COD trash. Playstation 4 has two exclusives worth having and performs terribly, with Sony only focusing on sales. Microsoft is trying to make their shit into one unified platform so it seems like they have no reason to own their console at all. And now paid online is a staple feature of all three companies.

I have hard time understand what was your point in previous posts. Maybe you're mexican or just really retarded american? First you say ps1 and ps2 were goat, then you say "current gen" is goat? That sounds like either a b8 or just really poor taste.

This is almost completely it. It's also the same reason that Hollywood movies are so often bullshit. It's pretty much unavoidable.

2 were wannabe PCs with uninteresting games that there are AAA/great indie alternatives for. The Wii U was too focused on gimmicks and should have simply made a normal console/switch with all game development focused on making games for it and not split between 3ds and home console.

Console fags still don't think they just bought a cheap shitty PC(which they needed to buy an upgraded version of).

Very little value.

>GTA practically dominates on PlayStation

I know this is the work of normies, but this is kinda sad

I think you're the foreigner here, is it really hard to understand that Sony during PS1 and 2 era was good and Sony PS3 and PS4 era are shit and will continue to be shit until they go bankrupt?

PS$ was the most powerful $400 vidya machine when it was released in 2013. Fact. Not even pctards could build a machine of equal value for the same price.

PS4 is still a great machine and still works unlike some shit pc from 2013.

You certainly didn't type it that way, but whatever

The problem is these little bastards. Traditional gaming lost the next generation. And this is something Microsoft, Sony and specially Nintendo are aware of.

Financially, the PS4 and Bone were successes
But in terms of what they added onto the previous generations and what kind of games came around during their life-spans, I'd easily say 7th gen was better
6 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 5 > 8 > shit > 2 > 1
Care to inform me exactly what first and second gen were supposed to be?
I'm under the impression that gen 1 is stuff like the magnavox odyssey and pong, while gen 2 is atari and collecovision

>5
>under 7
No. 5th gen was the leap to 3D, it was fucking awesome. Unless you got a PS, then was meh at best because it was a 32bit machine and not 64, and it was not real 3D.
I'd say
6>5>4>3>7>8

>an actual list that includes all the decent to good already releases exclusives and non with the bottom of the bin failures like the order 1886, and drive club
finally
>Dreams
is there even gameplay of that game i thought they said there was supposed to be a beta last week

6 is at least better than 7, fine
But 6 saw a lot of experimentation due to the potential for 3D gamelay, experimentation that didn't really see too many good results until 6th gen or maybe late 5th.
The biggest factor to these generations for me is the quality of the games and whether or not the generation introduced any "bullshit"