YOU FUCKING ASSHO-

>Increased Level Cap
Oh, nevermind. Finally.

This tech fucking cool
youtu.be/oiep0wYfQPQ

>Orchestra

I don't get it

Professional Orchestra.

As opposed to Sawyer just humming the tunes? ...not like I would mind that.

>dat lighting
>on unity
oh boy, we're gonna have fun with performance.

They hire a bunch of Slavs to record the whole soundtrack live rather than just a few pieces being done by humans and the rest being composited in a computer.

They used similar tech with PoE1 and performance was fine. Loading times were ass, but that's something they specifically promised to fix in PoE2.

From a technical and gameplay perspective PoE2 looks perfect. Too bad all the good writers left the company.

Don't we already have sub-classes?

I remember seeing this exact same thing for the first kickstarter

The soundtrack in the first game was pretty great. I'm actually not sure I want the second game to be entirely orchestrated.

>MFW they said that the game would perform just as well as the first game did
Yeah, right. Looks a bit too pretty, hope this doesn't detract from the storytelling..

Multiclassing AND Sub-classes? I'm a bit worried because that sounds really tough to balance, you have to be one hell of a systems designer to pull that of. Does such a man even exist?

Yeah, I guess this means more (?)

It's just kits and multiclassing from D&D under a new name.

Not with the dynamic source lighting and shadows. They had day/night but not this. The 2d stuff reveal is mostly just for people who might be thinking this was a straightforward 3d engine.

>The 2d stuff reveal is mostly just for people who might be thinking this was a straightforward 3d engine.
It's amazing how you can really think that with all the cool modern tech they put in it. Really shows how nobody even bothered making games in that style lately, with high quality 2D backgrounds but also some modern lighting effects.

Nyah!

There's only one man that could possibly pull that off...

The first game had about 1/3 of the soundtrack played by a live orchestra and 2/3 from digital samples. The goal is for Deadfire to be all live stuff. I don't think we're talking getting the Berlin Philharmonic to come in, but considering that we're getting a level cap increase and more subclasses on the same goal, this is probably the most significant one at least since the additional companion.

Sawyer has a video about it. It's D&D 3.5 like, but there's another layer of abstraction between level and the strength of abilities to hopefully balance things better.
youtu.be/SpKyazh8mUI

>Really shows how nobody even bothered making games in that style lately, with high quality 2D backgrounds but also some modern lighting effects.

Pretty much. Pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D characters fell out of use with CRPGs.

Weirdo

It's a bit harder than that since you didn't have kits and multiclasses on the same character. Only dual classes can do that and anyone who's played BG2 as a kensai/mage dual class, or even a berserker/cleric one knows how ridiculous that system could end up. You'll also be able to have two subclasses in Deadfire, which might make for some unbalanced combos.

Josh Sawyer may have disappointed in PoE 1, but I think he's a pretty good writer over all and I expect him to be great.

Eric Fenstermaker is still around, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=wzTICRgFe6k#t=2h07m10s
2 hours, 7 minutes and 10 seconds in

>I'm gonna freelance, I think in the near future, probably on Pillars 2, if we can make that work, which I'm looking forward to. I was on Pillars 2 all the way through pre-production, so, I got to work on the story there and if this works I'll be doing a companion for them, revisiting Edér which was a fun character to write

In other words, this is the same team that worked on the White March expansion + a few others, so I'm not too worried.

youtu.be/AUleDEFkUtE?t=2m55s

I think it turned out that making high-quality hand-drawn 2D maps like that actually became more expensive than doing 3D thanks to game engine/dev tools maturing.

knowing Sawyer's autistic love of vanilla balancing, the class kits probably won't be much different from each other. It'll probably just end up being different alignment/personality traits valued, like those 10 different subclasses of Paladin boasted and the only difference was a slightly different Holy Strike

All I need now is ONE (1) MORE COMPANION and the Stronghold.

>Wanting a stronghold when the one in the first game was shit

No shadows and that's not really dynamic lighting. It's just a yellow blob overlaid onto a small area. The illusion is much more complete it their new version.

>He doesn't want a comfy ship "stronghold"
Gay desu senpai

Think they'll beat $3.9m?

The stronghold was pretty great by 3.0 with the expansion. The only problem it had at that point were the bad loading times.

They've already said the stronghold is something they're heavily revamping since it was one of the most criticised aspects of the original. I think it's in regardless.

Actually, good 2D was always more expensive that 3D because it requires artistic talent on the most basic level to realize. 3D can by comparison to anyone who can model and follow concept art. This whole "make models to pre-render a scene, bake it as 2D backdrop and then get artists to do final touches on it" is the most expensive method short of doing crazy high fidelity 3D that a team of 100+ people will spend couple of years just creating assets for, I imagine.

I think they're gonna do a boat instead of a stronghold this time around.

They're guaranteed to get 0.75M with the fig funds (they're just trickling them out instead of having it all at once)

So, the question is if they can get one last big push from 3.2m to 4m in the last day.

It's possible and I hope it happens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

>Wanting a sequel when the first game was quite flawed and a bit disappointing but lets not be too harsh

Maybe. Remember that the final day of a highly successful kickstarter can often bring in almost as much money as the first day.

They've not been subtle about there being a stronghold, it's just not announced yet. It's a boat. The only question is if they'll have it as a "stretch goal" at $3m (probably) which they've already met counting unlisted Fig investment, or if they'll do an update about the stronghold before putting a goal to expand it.

Yeah, I know, that's what I mean. Like in Suikoden 4.

It's $3.2m plus the backer trickle over just under two weeks before they get into the last minute donation rush, so the gap isn't going to be as large as that.

PoE1 gained a million on the last 3 days, so probably yeah...

It wasn't dude. Josh said they did what they could to make it better but it's still too system heavy and just doesn't "fit". They know it, we know it, they'll get it right next time but it wasn't "pretty great".

Well, I honestly enjoyed the stronghold other than the loading times. Upgrading it and sending companions out on adventures and then helping people that came to ask for favors was cool.

>not enough tangible content
>too many systems

very much like spires in tyranny the stronghold in poe was also one of those things I tinkered with for maybe half hour and never touched again.

I wish obisidian would license Divinity engine already.

Why? Pillars is beautiful 2D backgrounds. Divinity is engine stuff that doesn't look as good (IMO)

who else donated more than $100

i feel dirty

Obsidian has their own proprietary engine they used for DS3 and South Park. It just requires too much middleware to license on KS money without wasting it.

Divinity is full 3d and runs 10 times better. Also check original sin 2, looks better than anything shown in the PoE2 video

45$ is the maximum I can afford
>TFW poorfag
I wish I had infinite disposable income. I'd go Top Backer and make a cool Soulbound bandanna that makes hand to hand combat stronger

It looks much worse than what Obsidian did with Unity.

It's more of a multiplat engine, too.

>looks better than anything shown in the PoE2 video
You're blind.

DOS2 looks insanely good. To a point it's kinda difficult to believe all of that is wasted on an isometric RPG.

>Divinity is full 3d
That's not a good thing, though. That's precisely what PoE has over Divinity. The backgrounds are a million times better and the models and animations look just as good.

Are the investor funds all from corporate moneymen or are actual Obsidian fans just throwing money in for a laugh, anyone take a guess?

I'm gonna guess about 20% are from people that actually expect to get a great return and think they're striking gold.

The backgrounds in PoE2 look pretty great, I agree there. But models and animations? Hell no, not even close.

>wasted on an isometric RPG
Delete yourself.

the models and animations are incredibly basic though

Kind of makes me wonder if Fargo fucked himself with his own fundraiser for Wasteland 3, since inXile offered significantly more generous terms to investors, with both games hitting their Fig investment cap, with W3's only being $250k higher.

I stand corrected on animations and models, my memory of D:OS 2 was a bit spotty. But, yeah, I like the backgrounds of PoE 2 much more.

i'd actually try it if it wasn't for the $1000 a share cost

Very true for PoE. PoE 2 has much better animations than that though.

I don't know what the terms are for deadfire investments but I doubt it will sell more than PoE1, even if its a much better game.

If I remember correctly the highest return you'll get is 50%
So you invest 1000$, which is the minimum you'll end up with 1500$ and that's the best case scenario.
I mean it's nice but it requires you to invest a lot in the first place.

And I doubt PoE2 will reach those sales required for the best case scenario

I severed the old man's connection, but still would like to know about the 3rd option. What's it do?
Also, not sure if it's Josh's meticulous balancing or Ciphers in general, but combat actually seems kinda fun now.

The third option unlocks a secret room in the mega dungeon with a cool saber in it I think. That is the only way to get it.

I agree, it won't, and that means that it's a bad investment that's not gonna pay off. But whatever, if I was rich as fuck, I'd probably do it just for the hell of it.

Aw shit there's a second video of Q&A

Well, first off, it's cruel as hell. Secondly, it gives you access to a room in the dungeon below with special loot that you can't access otherwise (not even with mechanics of 20 + scouting)

yeah, i think that Fig shit about being an investor instead of a donor is sort of a scam, but I'm also sure it was influenced directly by how every retard who backed the Oculus Rift thought they were gonna be a millionaire when Zuckerberg bought that gimmicky scam from Carmack for a billion dollars. You were NEVER an investor for giving that company a donation. bwaka bwaaaaka

You lose out on a sword, but whatever, it's not worth being a dick over.

>absorb the knowledge of an old watcher that revived Caed Nua in his days, and his past lives
>get a saber for it
Wow.
Is it unique at least?

>it's cruel as hell
Well, yeah, that's why I freed him. The temptation was there, though.

I honestly don't remember.
I know it was the best or second best saber in vanilla.

>tfw you're not the son of an oil sheikh who can throw around $80m Witcher 3 style budgets to get your ideal games funded
Feels bad, man.

It's unique and has its own description and everything, but like every loot that isn't in the expansion, it's stuff you can easily craft and enchant yourself anyways.

I got the collectors edition plus physical guide book. And I'm Canadian so it will be like 240$ total, thank god for neet bucks.

pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Flames_of_Fair_Rhîan

The fireball 3/rest thing isn't something you can craft, though it's not hugely powerful either.

It saved my life against undead champion Raedric

I heard that this is the same character as you played in the previous game.
Does your save carry over?

>Abilities and spells level up with you
>empowering just makes the spell 3 levels higher
I mean it's okay and all but kinda disappointing

Yeah, your decisions carry over. But also, you die and are reborn as someone else so you're back to Level 1 and can completely change your class/appearance, etc.

tfw can't join the kickstarter because my credit card sucks can't use outside my country, so no international shopping

I'll be fine with it if it means a Level 20 Wizard can cast level 23 ultra fireballs.

Neato. I was expecting something like a unique talent or a stat boost, but this seems decent as well.

Can you also change your race?

>you die and are reborn as someone else
What? How does that even work?
Can someone who knows the lore explain?

We don't know yet. Sawyer said they're considering it.

They haven't confirmed and to be honest, I'm talking out of my ass, but I bet you can. I bet they'll let you change everything but background and maybe name.

>spells are now stronger
>casting them takes a lot longer and you can be interrupted
>but you can retarget them while casting
AW SHIT NIGGA NOW I'M EXCITED FOR MY WIZARD AGAIN

It's me speculating, but they said that Eothas blows up your keep and kills everyone in it and they also said that Berath (god of death) plays a part at the start of the game, so that's my guess.

Just buy it when it releases ffs

Why do people fall for these pre-order scams?

No Vancian Casting, though, which is gay.

>being able to actually use your spells
>gay

>resting after every battle
>not gay

They did a Paypal option last time and it might be returning, although I don't know if that would help you.

The new empowerment system which is meant to replace per rest abilities and Vancian casting in general also lends itself to rest-scumming though.

they said they're adding paypal soon.