How do we improve the horror genre?

How do we improve the horror genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_n4lVWFwFoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make the monster a cute ghost girl that stalks you.

FEAR

Spooky house of jumpscares

I said cute

Less jumpscares, more unsettling horror music.
Twisted, odd looking monsters that act strange.

No co-op bullshit and no first-person.

EVERY FUCKING THREAD WITH EVERY SINGLE SAME ANSWERS, WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT

Resi5 was fun
It's not a horror game in the slightest but it was a great co-op game.

To post some Endtown pics, familia-senpai

I gonna stab you, fucker

Bad game design

I'm serious make it hard to turn around like the first few resident evil games.
Give very few ammo so they have to choose whether to run or shoot and makes the player into a in a difficult situation as the bad controls will make it harder to run or shoot. When facing a tough enemy or herd making the situation scarier.

Make the map look the same it frustrates the player when running from monsters and increases the spooky atmosphere.

Make lighting harder to see things.

Make enemies harder than they need to be.

Pause menu jump scare

Empty hallways with nothing in them and no jumpscare to unnerved the player.

Trick items that turn into monsters

Fake rooms and doors

>90% of Endtown readers picked it up because they have a furshit fetish
>I picked it up because I have a horrific monster/body horror fetish
Feels ok.

It's okay, buddy. I came for the furries in newspaper-comic style and post-apocalypse stuff. Too bad last arc was terrible and the new one doesn't seem to be any different

The comic really went down hill the last year.

Turns out the author has a raging fat fetish and Holly was based on his exwife.

The guy is apparently a real asshole, managing to chase off every fan that tried to help his comic.

Make Alien Isolation 2

Resident Evil 7 showcased how horrifying body horror can be, especially in this current push for VR titles. Expand upon that, since stuff like "defenseless creates tension" or "you're alone! a-bloo-bloo!" doesn't really factor anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=_n4lVWFwFoM

Another nifty idea could be like a DM situation, where instead of Dead by Daylight's style of a killer against survivors, have scenarios with someone fucking with the enviroment and survivors ala Freddy, and maybe have something akin to the sanity meter from Eternal Darkness in the gameplay. Perhaps put in a mechanic where instead of just throwing everything at them, it could just strengthen their resolve and make someone unbreakable since they're done with the bullshit

Aaron keeps putting himself into the hospital to make the comic, instead of taking care of himself, so none of those surprise me.

I still question why he gave Kirbee blonde hair for merch and promos, but she has dark hair in the comics, and hope that gets addressed at some point.

>following a webcomic just because of your fetishes
Seriously, kill yourself

I said "picked it up," reading the entire comic is a big time investment. When you don't know what you're getting into, fetishes are a good motivator for giving it a shot. I came for the kinky shit and I stayed for the plot.

>Bad game design
how about no ?
that doesn't mean it has to be piss easy but the word "unsettling" would fit better.
No pause, No "safe space", ...
basically a more horror focus dark souls would be better (also i think it should be 1st person 'cause it's way easier to transmit emotion that way 'cause a majority a the people who play vidya are use to it)

>Pause menu jump scare
How would this work? Make the menu realtime and let monsters creep closer but don't mention this to the player?

i think he meant pause the game and add a screamer or something in the menu

How would this work in a non-shitty fashion?

>turns out the author has a raging fat fetish
This has been pretty obvious for years if you've seen his favourite list in DeviantArt and FurAffinity.

Fatal Frame did this

If you were paused long enough, ghosts would start appearing. Harmless but spooky

i'm no genius gamedesigner so i don't know but i'm sure you can include something like a random screamer when you un-pause the game and tease it with a riddle in a loading screen

Have the monster fuck with you in unpredictable ways.

Like maybe sometimes it will pretend like it cant see you, and you feel relieved, and then it kills you anyway

How about more unpredictable in enemy encounters? Like, if they were randomized to a certain extent? The thing about horror games is, they are universally less scary after your first playthrough. Throwing you for a loop after your first time would make you more uneasy and question what's coming next. It's such an obvious feature that I'm not sure how it hasn't been done yet.

Body horror is shit tier if it affects only on-screen characters and has no real effects on them.

For example, RE7 hand loss. That was example of body horror done wrong - you lose hand, but only need to execute QTEs.

So what if we make a game around that? Like taking a hit to the head can cause vision to remain blurred ala MGS3 making Snake have vision issues with his left eye towards the end, or possibly damaging hearing under certain conditions that can disorient the player with things like tinnitus or even loss of hearing?

Horror done to the point where the only objective is to survive, and the damage is done in a real sense of causing trauma to the player character, which affects the gameplay and could even be done in a rogue-like style of random things happening and death means you start over again as someone else trying to survive whatever.

>No pause, No "safe space", ...
that would be fucking awesome
I loved the feeling Amnesia brought to me(for the first hour) because I felt like I could get caught by those monsters everywhere, while not being able to retaliate, not being able to hide indefenitely, not being able to outrun them forever
boy did all those feels turn into pure disappointment once I figured out how the monsters worked in this game

a game where you're nowhere really safe would be extremely good, you'd be constantly on the verge of panicking, constantly stressed out. that way you don't need a gorillion jumpscares and hundreds of stupid monsters following you with scary noises

That could work, though it would need to be done in such a way that it made sense for player to take damage and not die.

For example, monster being able to break a player's leg, but not dealing enough damage overall that a downed player couldn't fight it off afterwards.