I feel like this is a bad game, but I can't put it down...

I feel like this is a bad game, but I can't put it down. The plot is dull as shit so far and the combat manages to somehow be both fast paced AND feel like a waste of time (paradigms and 'battle screens' are such a HUGE step down from the gambit system and seamless mix between exploration and combat featured in FFXII).

But it's really really pretty, the combat does get quite enjoyable in some fights and I guess I want to see how the story plays out

I know I'm late to the party but how's the rest of the trilogy?

Yeah I didn't like the story, but I enjoyed the graphics and the soundtrack was amazing. I played through it two times a few years ago.

XIII-2 is pretty good, I don't remember too much of it though, never got around to XIII-3

Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt too. I do think that XIII-2 is a really good game tho, so definitely check that one out.

Lightning Returns is the best in terms on gameplay. I really enjoyed XIII, I think it was way more harshly received that it deserved. XIII-2 is fun, but it's like a lowcost apology for XIII.

honestly XIII is my favorite FF game mainly because of the combat. Story is ok but I don't play FF games for story because they are all pretty cheesy

Full of waifus, what's not to like?

>I know I'm late to the party but how's the rest of the trilogy?

XIII-2 has wider areas, freedom, sidequests and lots of stuff to do. They also improved the battle system allowing you to change your leader during battles.

Lightning Returns has a totally diferent combat system that manages to be somehow good. You have to like XIII-2 to like LR tho.

At least the games pretty, even to today's standards.

The game's gorgeous.

13-2 was utter garbage. they butchered the story, made the game incredibly easy and they tried to listen to the criticism to 13 but fucked it up. 13 was a lot better. you might call 13's combat system simplistic, but it did have harder and very good bossfights than most final fantasies and especially 13-2. 13-2 was literally spamming x the whole time without the need to swiitch or anything, and that was normal difficulty, i can't imagine how easy played out. i understand if you don't like 13 because it was linear, you didn't like the writing and thought the combat system was simplistic, but it still had merit, i liked the game, and it was a well produced game, something that cannot be said about 13-2 and 13-3.

FXIII is really the best one in the series..the rest are so trash and stupid.. just enjoy what you got OP.. it only gets worse.

I didn't hate the combat in 13, and the only other FF game I played before it was 10 which as linear as fuck so I barely thought anything of the fact. To me 15 is too much of a departure. I like the new mechanics but it feels wrong somehow. Feels like it should just be a new IP.

Agreed about XIII-2,they took one step forward but fucked up everything that made XIII not that bad. I still prefer LR though.

13-2 was worse imo. You had to run around the different places looking for fragments and shit. I also did not like the monster aspect, so combat was not as fun. But worst thing was the running animation for serah.

hating 13 is a meme

Fuck everyone railing on XIII-2

Much better game. Best one in the trilogy.

I dislike having monsters in my team. One they don't talk and two you have to change them all the time, you don't get the feeling of a character improving.

OP here. I kinda get the hate for the 'linearity' but with a few noteworthy exceptions like I, VI post-apocalypse and XII in general most Final Fantasy games have always been linear as fuck. That honestly doesn't bother me at all.

I think the fact that exploration and combat take place in separate screens plus the fact that the Crystarium is very limited in terms of available choices are my main gripes with the game. If it played like FFXII and had more job variety it would be a 10/10 in my book.

People really hated the "limited time" of that game.

I personally loved LR.

Felt more... open worldy than the other two, and also felt like I was in charge again.

I prefer 13-2 because while it was easy as shit there was some character development throughout the story unlike 13 where you just have people just aimlessly wander around until the end.

I thought the story was stereotypical JRPG nonsensical tier even when I beat the game, probably because I played it in bursts weeks apart, but after reading the datalog it became really engrossing when I understood everything. Make sure to read it.

Not sure what your problem with the combat is. I thought it was one of the better JRPG battle systems I played but I guess staggering could get old. Fights are very far and few in-between though, so instead of a bunch of mindless fights, it was a few that you always had to pay attention and play smartly.

I thought the endgame was the best partl. 5 Star all the missions after you beat it. Nothing is miss-able so don't worry about doing all the missions before beating the game.

Being able to change battle leaders is an objective improvement but I vastly prefer 3 party members to monsters.

I found the story boring and characters far less interesting.

>major focus on Serah and Noah whom are the only playable characters instead of a full cast

It felt like a spin-off, not a mainline title.

It really isn't as bad as people say.
I personally picked it up for dirt cheap couple years ago, despite having heard all sorts of shit about it.

The BEGINNING really didn't even try to prove all the bad claims about it wrong, but luckily, to my own surprise as well, the more I played, the more entertaining and hooking it became. It's not GOTYAY or best JRPG ever in any sense, but it's FAR from the "worst crap ever" -category. A solid 7/10 experience IMO.

The sequels fixed, expanded and improved many things, especially pacing and gameplay. Up to you whether you like the direction they went with the plot and cast, but they're not hideous either. I found especially LR to be total blast, easily my 2014's GOTY. The 13-2 was simply fun, easily 8/10 at least.

>XIII-2
>garbage
...WHAT the living fuck?? The game fixed and improved just about EVERYTHING people complained about XIII ! Easily one of the greatest JRPGs this decade, and very "FF" kind of game.

FF is a story-centric series and Serah/Noel are not star-worthy characters.

I preferred 13's story, and side stuff.

13-2
10-2

Best in the series. Prove me wrong senpai.

>I preferred 13's story, and side stuff.
Same, but I also loved the story and nuances of 13-2, namely the time travel stuff and its paradoxical effects.

>Fights are very far and few in-between though
They're like every 10 seconds

But story is pretty much non-stop. It's not like other games with invisible enemies leading to constant fights.

I don't like FFXIII but I like Lightning

There is much more detail in these pictures than all of FFVX

I was the same. I genuinely think it's awful but couldn't put it down. Once I did, I never got any desire to play it again and uninstalled it.

13 was during a golden age, same time games like DMC4 came out. They were pretty much full of all the guys who were at the top of the field in animation/graphics, sadly most of them have also retired or moved to the film industry.

Want to know how a game would be objectively judged by Sup Forums? Change the name to something unrelated to the franchise and make it so that the game was made by a wester studio. Now imagine if Sup Forums would still care or even talk at all about the game.

Hol' up. I've seen this post before...

Prolly you have. I've said it all before.

Yea but Noel is actually a decent likeable character. Which puts him above the whole of XIII's cast.

>ACTIVATE CHEESE MODE

Graphics in this game are so good. I loaded up LR for fun after beating this one and the textures are hot garbage. The budget cutting they did on that game is super noticeable in 4k.

Hopefully XIII-2 still has some high quality graphics.

Damn that looks good.

Sure but he's pretty vanilla

XIII: We want the Anime audience
XIII-2: We want the Chrono Trigger audience
LR: We want the Lighting's audience

>XIII-2: We want the Chrono Trigger audience
How fitting as they're both overrated in their respective series

This. Finally someone understand.

>13 best

13 has best music and maybe best scenery for PS2/3 and so far 4. Thats it.

All the 13 games are virtually unplayable. Long sequences of boring bullshit and nowhere to explore. The combat system is abysmal--you don't actually do anything.

0/10

I liked Lightning Returns the best, in terms of exploration and combat, even if the story reached an absolute nadir in shilling for Lightning at the expense of every other character in the trilogy.

the game was objectively ruined by its hallway style play.

the story was also ruined by continuous faggotry that never reached the levels of 7,8,9,10 or 12.

XIII-2 is fun sidequest fluff that slowly unravels into a giant fuck you. If you're enjoying the combat you'll enjoy this for overhauling it even if the plot just comes off as an incoherent mess. Great villain too.

XIII-3 is disc 4 type stuff but tied to an entirely different kind of game. Wraps up character stuff from the original while the entire world is coming to an end and finishes with a bang

It's X-2 II
Should have just been it's own game

I'm the exact opposite. I feel like it's a good game, but I can't bring myself to keep playing.