They fixed the QTEs. They fixed the FOV. They fixed the framerate. What is actually wrong with Resident Evil 6 on PS4...

They fixed the QTEs. They fixed the FOV. They fixed the framerate. What is actually wrong with Resident Evil 6 on PS4? I don't mean silly nitpicks like "Leon's campaign has a single zombie that you can't avoid" or RE7-grade stuff like "You can't tell whether you're doing damage to bosses." What are the genuine reasons for RE6 being a bad game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=az2DrdDx9UY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's extremely unsatisfying shooting zombies

I'm not taking the time to explain it, but if you don't see that the game is the same as eating shit, sucking turd outta asshole, playing in shit throwing turds around and using a turd as lipstick.

Wall of cars.

There is no reason, just neo-Sup Forums being neo-Sup Forums

also RE7 marketer-kun in full on attack mode.

It has fucking awful writing, janky encounter design, repetitive content between routes, and poor boss battles.

It's also just not a horror title at all, though I suppose that only matters if you care about the franchise.

The fucking gameplay.

Movement feels clunky and the weapons all sound and feel incredibly weak. Enemies barely respond to getting hit and they're all bullet sponges.

Also I can't stand the HUD

Nostalgiafags. They are the reason. They are the cancer holding back this industry.

>Enemies barely respond to getting hit and they're all bullet sponges.
The first isn't true. RE6 has far more dynamic hit reactions than RE4/5. I think people have this weird nostalgia where they forget that RE4/5 didn't have zombies. RE6's zombies don't react to being shot the same way J'avo do. When you shoot a zombie in the arm, it's not going to clutch its arm. It's a fucking zombie.

RE6 expects you to combine shooting and melee. One enemy is basically bulletproof unless you crack his shell by goading him into charging you and punching him in the face as a male character or kicking him in the back as a female character.

this

>It has fucking awful writing
Examples?
>janky encounter design
It's a mixed bag. But it's not like previous RE games had great encounter design.
>repetitive content between routes
There is very little recycled content between campaigns. For example, when you play Leon's campaign and Jake's campaign, you spend maybe 15 minutes in the same places Jake visited.

The mixed stuff is mostly from Ada's

>They fixed the QTEs.

Can I get some proof of this?

Only way RE6 could have fixed QTEs is by removing them entirely

You can literally turn 90% of them off in the options menu. The ones that remain are like ones to shake off a zombie or climb a ladder, outside of that it turns off all cutscene ones.

>There is no reason, just neo-Sup Forums being neo-Sup Forums

Why do you fuckers always parrot this shit? Actually come up with an argument you stupid cunt

PS4/XBO versions have Auto Action Button enabled by default. So any instant-death QTE can't kill you. It still appears onscreen, but pressing the wrong button or pressing nothing won't punish you. So you can sprint at oncoming trains and not die. You can press nothing when the man shark drags Leon and Helena underwater, and Leon will fight it off automatically regardless of what you press.

PS4/Xbone only or was it on the PC port?

>There is very little recycled content between campaigns. For example, when you play Leon's campaign and Jake's campaign, you spend maybe 15 minutes in the same places Jake visited

The campaigns are interchangeable regardless of the overlapping locations. Any interesting changes like Ada's stealth or Leon's survival horror are thrown out the window for some boring shooter gameplay and walking through visually uninteresting locations (China had potential, I don't know why 6 didn't just set the whole game there)

Felt too much a "everything but the kitchen sink" approach and it showed. Nothing really quite felt amazing and some sections of the game just felt fucking weird or broke up the pacing. Especially Jake's campaign with the whole stealth and vehicle bullshit.

It's present in all versions. It was originally a setting that was only available on Amateur difficulty. But they patched it to be available on all difficulties. You have to manually turn it on on PS3/360/PC, but it's enabled by default on PS4/XBO. Similarly, all versions have an FOV slider, but only the PS4/XBO versions have it maxed out by default. RE6 is a strange game because there's also the vastly superior laser sight aiming system that the game doesn't default to for some baffling reason despite one of the puzzles in Leon's campaign revolving around using the laser from your weapon on mirrors.

It's the basic game design, the game has got too many design choices that hold it back. For example, there are too many moments where you are trying to do something but perhaps you're suck watching an animation play out, the stages are boring and often times, even if it's pretty to look it, there just isn't anything interesting to do besides clear area, the bosses aren't clear in their weaknesses and strategies so you are left to do too much guess work so you are more frustrated than interested. One example of this it the last boss for Chris: when you fight it in the circular room it's guts sometimes spill out so you think 'aha, a weak spot' but it's not. If I remember correctly the head is the most vulnerable part of this thing. On top of that there are too many enemies that have weird and specific tactics to taking them out and any attempt at variation just leaves you with no ammo. Case and point, the Chris campaign with those tankish enemies in the area where you meet Ada.

There are also a lot of badly implemented parts that needed to be either fixed or left out. In game cutscenes, for example, don't pause the action, just you, so if you are low on health and trying to dodge an incoming enemy attack and a cutscene interrupts you you are fucked. This is most obvious in the gas station fight.

There is also the removal of some of the previous games fun shit, unlockable costumes, kick ass hidden weapons, optional challenges, charming characters, and other cool shit hidden for more playthroughs.

Good gameplay is not good enough, there is other things that go into making a good game. Enemies, stages, ambiance, bosses. The game is just lacking on these departments.

It's not a bad game but compared to RE1, 2 or 4 it's just not memorable or addictive nor does it have those games' lasting appeal.

I actually prefer the last gen version. The fov and QTEs are fixed and I don't care too much about "muh 60 FPS". Also, the extra costumes are much easier to unlock.

The RE characters are mechanically different. Fighting J'avo as Jake/Chris is nothing like fighting C-Virus zombies as Leon/Ada. Female characters have a different melee moveset to male characters, and therefore require different tactics. Only Jake can fight hand-to-hand. Only Chris can do the cool knife fighting stuff. Only Leon can use double handguns for cool gun kata.

It feels alot like RE5 in the sense that it's one of those games that's pretty damn good with a friend, but complete shit alone.

>On top of that there are too many enemies that have weird and specific tactics to taking them out and any attempt at variation just leaves you with no ammo. Case and point, the Chris campaign with those tankish enemies in the area where you meet Ada.
RE6 requires you to experiment with each enemy. And of course any J'avo enemy can mutate when you shoot it into a wide range of hybrid enemies with their own unique weaknesses and strengths. The key design rule in RE6 is melee > guns. Shooting enemies is sometimes completely counterproductive. The problem with RE6 is people trying to play it like RE5/6. RE6 is a game where you keep your weapon lowered constantly so you can perform a melee counter on a zombie that leaps 10 meters across the room to grab you. Is it the game's fault for not explaining that aiming your weapons leaves you vulnerable? Kinda. But you'd think that being grabbed over and over and over and over again would encourage people to rethink their tactics.

RE6 is the opposite. RE5 is pretty frustrating solo, but RE6 is far better solo because you don't have to worry about the other playing fucking up since the AI is invincible and competent.

I've finished RE6 three times on my own. It was great. Co-op is just a distraction.

Hi, I beat RE6, all campaigns. You want to know why it's a genuinely bad game. OK.

It plays like an adaptation of one of the movies. Lots of over the top action, not a lot of exploration. Just hallways of shooting a ton of zombies or whatever they are. I had a blast playing it cooperatively because you can laugh at how cheesy the action and dialogue is, but it wasn't entertaining at all by itself. I have the MP DLC, it was dead on arrival, I haven't been able to find a single player for the other modes lol.

So there it is, no nitpicks, the entire package feels like one of the terrible RE movies. It feels generic action movie with RE themes painted on. No stressful situations, no excitement. Wow another helicopter/building/humvee is blowing up. I felt nothing when I beat it. If you have someone to sit next to you on the couch and play with, then get it because we always need more couch coop, but it isn't good for anything else. Maybe if RE5 is your favorite game.

>It feels generic action movie with RE themes painted on. No stressful situations, no excitement.
Like RE4 with a mouse and keyboard, then?

Reminder that Resident Evil was never about horror.

They were ironical horror, like a Z tier horror movie that tries to make you laugh.

Capcom were originally trying for sincere horror with RE1, but with RE2 they went action/horror and things proceeded from there.

Repetitive gameplay with bad shooting and broken hand to hand combat nice looking but boring environments the horror elements fall flat there is no tension as you can run past or easily kill everything you never get attached to any of the characters cause there are so many this game is like Michael bay jacked it on a copy of re cv

>bad shooting
What's wrong with it? Default crosshairs are shit, but laser sight is fine. Enemies have better hit reactions than RE4/5.
>broken hand to hand combat
Broken how?

I will always be mad that they replaced Leon's RE4 actor

>Leon's campaign has a single zombie that you can't avoid

I'm curious is this actually true? On what level?

Or a controller if you want to plug one into your PC, that's how I did it. But it was closer to 5 than 4. It's been years but I seem to remember 4 still had ominous atmosphere at points and wasn't just a nonstop Michael Bay roller coaster. I'm more excited about REmake 2 and 3 than anything resembling 5 or 6 ever coming out again.

The shooting and weapons are fucking weak You dont feel them satisfying like in 4

Maybe he declined for some reason.

Also the new guy sounded 90% like him I barely noticed until I looked it up.

>replaced
Really? I couldn't tell

Maybe, but in 1-3 I felt like I was trying to survive and a little nervous about what's behind the next door or what could jump out. I felt nothing in 6, I was just waiting for the next action set piece to start so I could mow everything down in a room.

The game is fucking garbage. The real neo Sup Forums faggots are you who are pretending to be "contrarian" treating this to be some sort of hidden gem. Guess what, it's not. It fucking sucks.

When you're in the university, you need to get the keycard from the teacher's lounge. When you leave the room, the previously dead corpse springs to life and grabs you. This is blatantly designed to teach you how to escape being pinned down, but the strange thing is that the annoying Prologue already did that.

This is the only unavoidable zombie in Leon's campaign. There are a handful of other corpses that spring to life when you get close, but they can all be avoided, and there are only a few of them in the entire game. Largely in the first hour of Leon's campaign. The way some people talk, you'd think there were dozens of them throughout every campaign.

Weapons were stupidly OP in RE4. How are RE6's enemies supposed to be a threat if a single shotgun blast stops an entire room of enemies in their tracks, especially when the player can dive, roll, shimmy backwards, and even slide through enemies?

Didn't Leon's RE4 actor replace his RE2 actor, doe?

Its fucking shite, it makes shooting zombies boring, how the fuck can you fuck that up. It doesn't matter how well they polish it, if the core is shit, no amount of fixes will make it good.

Actually, I dodged that guy on one run by pure luck, it's really tight and you have to know it's coming but not impossible.

>dodging a scripted event that happens in a cutscene

Wat

RE6 is a 20+ hour game where people act like design issues/quirks that effect 15 minutes of the game are game destroying atrocities. Even more bizarre is when people complain about the sections in RE6 that are blatant homages to RE4, such as the QTE where you have to tap SPACE to swim away from the giant man shark.

This is some next level trolling right here

>it makes shooting zombies boring,
Firstly, only 1/3 of the game features zombies. Secondly, you're not supposed to shoot them. You're supposed to use a mix of melee and gunplay on them. It's not really a third person shooter. It's a character action game.

Neo-Sup Forums is you, treating this piece of shit like it's the best RE game ever made, it's not, it's pretty fucking bad.

Pretty sure it's not a cutscene, I remember doing the whole level without getting grabbed.

Nothing, the game is great. I played all the campaigns twice back to back, and I rarely replay a game.

those were all fixed on pc years ago. still a shit game t b h

>new, popular entry in established series comes out
>previous, hated game suddenly has jackasses on Sup Forums claiming 'it wasn't really that bad, guys'

It's gonna happen when Breath of the Wild comes out, too.

If it's so fucking bad, why does it keep selling? Why is RE6 back in the Japanese best seller lists?

I don't know how's that making the game any better.

I wish they'd give the environment textures an upgrade China has like 128x128 textures on some walls.

Nice but my complaints weren't about that at all. I don't like it thematically, the entire package. It feels like one of the RE movies. It's just bubblegum action with some RE lore painted on. It's boring, just wading through zombies I mow down with slick wrestling moves from one over the top set piece to the next. I don't care about design issues or bugs, I can get over that. I just got bored of the constant action. I've never liked QTE, not in 4 or 5, it doesn't work in either.

OK.
>agent hunt mode is a complete waste of time and the monsters control like complete ass
>game is not fun unless played via co op
>Chris campaign is the most trash of all as it tries its best to play like an action game but at the same time gives limited ammo leading to frustrating boss fights you gotta win via melee and two shotgun shells
>weskers sons campaign is slightly enjoyable but at the same time has a lot of flaws
>Leon's campaign is actually quite decent until the final boss turns into a t rex and drop kicks a helicopter
>ada campaign isnt even worth posting
>the Hud Is probably one of the most disgusting I've seen in years
>guns feel like they shoot soap bubbles with enemies who react accordingly giving the game a very unsatisfying gunplay

Nah, I always liked RE6 over RE5 and REV1+2

There's such a thing as playing a game wrong.

The same reason why Call of Duty keeps selling year, after year, after year, after year, after year if they are all the same and quality declines with each itineration. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

>there's actually some dude defending resident evil 6

Dude seriously? This game was hot garbage at launch andate received trash scores, sure it sold like crazy but then again so did the new resi and the one before. Sales =/= good game

Because it is watered down and designed to be agreeable to the most people possible. RE1-CV, 7, are meant for people who want a survival horror game. RE6 is a bland mash of action. Action games sell.

>Chris campaign
>any more action-packed than the others
>Leon's campaign
>enjoyable
Shitter detected.

>>game is not fun unless played via co op
It's fine in singleplayer. Better in singleplayer, even.
>>Chris campaign is the most trash of all as it tries its best to play like an action game but at the same time gives limited ammo leading to frustrating boss fights you gotta win via melee and two shotgun shells
Chris has a knife for a reason, you know. He can pick up dudes with his bare hands and throw them off rooftops for a reason, you know. If you're running out of ammo, you're not making effect use of CQC.
>ada campaign isnt even worth posting
Her campaign is great. Nice change of pace, with some light puzzles.
>>the Hud Is probably one of the most disgusting I've seen in years
What's wrong with it? It's especially cool how each character has a unique HUD and mobile phone to suit their character. Playing Revelations 2/RE7 feels like a huge step backwards.

It's especially crazy how RE7 took RE6's remote controlled bombs and made them shit.

>trash scores
This is one of those weird bits of revisionist history. RE6 received mixed reviews. It fell firmly in the yellow on Metacritic.
>sure it sold like crazy but then again so did the new resi
RE7 is selling less than 50% of what RE6 sold in Japan. Global sales are pretty drastically down. And since Revelations 2 sold pretty okay, it has nothing to do with previous games.

RE6 sold a million copies on Steam and has around 80% positive reviews. Does that sound like a "hot garbage" game to you? If the game is really so insufferably bad, wouldn't it get the sort of scores something like Umbrella Corps got? (28% positive.) RE6 has a pretty big fanbase that enjoys what the game has to offer. It's not some weird niche like people who enjoy God Hand.

The difference between games like RE4/RE7 and RE5/6/Revelations/Revelations 2 is a lack of polish and a lack of clear design direction. This leads to games that a big, bold, and kinda beautiful, but they lack the finesse of stuff like RE4/RE7. I don't think that's disputable. There's no way to make a game like RE6 with the polish of RE7. There's more content in an hour of RE6 than the entirety of RE7.

>all these fags who don't play Mercs
How does it feel to be such a casual?

youtube.com/watch?v=az2DrdDx9UY

>RE7
>polish
Pssh. I've got something for you to polish, faggot.

>What are the genuine reasons for RE6 being a bad game?

the shit controls

RE7 is pretty polished, user. A good example of Rev2's lack of polish is those awkwardly animated spiders in the beginning of Barry's campaign. RE7 has nothing like that.

The problem with 6's content is that it's a slog to go through. 7 maybe short but I've gotten more mileage out of it than 5 or 6, just because it's at least varied

Sick parries.

Mercs is not the main game.

Stop trying to use optional content to defend a shitty single player game

What's wrong with RE6's controls? They're commonly cited as its best feature.
RE7 has almost no variety. It inherits this trait from Revelations 1. All the enemies are the same, and the core gameplay is identical from start to finish. It's one of the reasons why RE7's replay value is a bit meh.

RE6's is ridiculously varied, and that's partially its weakness. On one hand, it's awesome to pick up and play every month or so, but it creates a vaguely unfocused overall experience.

RE6 is 10 times more varied than RE7, you have urbal, rural, ruins, sewers, snow mountains, a foundry, a sub, an underwater base

RE6 is a game that tries to offer something for everyone. Mercenaries is the combat model of RE6 distilled down into pure combat. I'm honestly not that fond of it, because I prefer the encounter designs of the campaign. But Mercs is still pretty badass.

I just can't believe we're already at this point in the cycle where we say "RE6 was a good game."

What series will be next?

>What's wrong with RE6's controls? They're commonly cited as its best feature.

the levels were not designed with the controls in mind

RE6 was such a disappointment I never beat it and swore off the series after that point

>Using a mini-game to back up your argument for a game being good
Fucking wew lad.

RE6 was always a good game and much better than 5 because it didn't have a coop partner shoehorned in at the last minute.

I imagine RE7 hasn't sold as well in Japan because of that Texas Chainsaw style, but think about the fact that it came out in January. I think there's some holidays in Japan, the fact that people are going back to school, lots of shit to account for. I find it stupid to point out the smaller sales without accounting for all of the details surrounding the game's release

Enjoy your polished bonus modes. Oh, wait.

>the levels were not designed with the controls in mind

No?

>RE 7 has no variety

I just plainly don't agree. The bosses are varied. Each house you go to are varied in their approach, I would complain that they don't linger enough on each individual encounter with the Bakers.

they were not

It has the best Mercs in the series. That means something to adults/skilled players.

source

You got excellent mechanics but levels are too small and with very few enemies so all the crazy shooting and dodging is wasted. That's why the game only shines on Mercenaries.

RE7 was too damn short and the main house is too damn small, plus you get out of it in the first hour of the game and nothing as big as it ever comes up.

Also airplanes and trains.

>the levels were not designed with the controls in mind
RE6 has wide open areas connected by hallways. For example, in Leon's campaign you have the university grounds, the area around the gun shop, the subway, the massive church grounds, the massive church interior, the massive underground chambers, and then you transition to the more cramped, but still huge China levels. The individual areas are massive and give ample opportunity for making full use of your move-set. That's why Mercs levels are often copy and pasted from the campaign. RE6's campaigns have the widest, most vertical designs in the entire series. Maybe they could have been slightly wider in places, but seriously. Look at Chris' campaign, too. You fight in massive open areas. You fight in a massive open aircraft carrier hanger. Even the snake fight takes place in spacious rooms.

Casual memelord detected.

Don't try so hard, just accept RE6 for its strengths.

It has kick ass fucking gameplay. It has horrible fucking design since it's so desperate for amazing, cinematic setpieces with shitty gameplay and QTE sections (which just become small retarded cutscenes when they "fixed" the QTEs". Nothing about the level design complements the gameplay except when they give you a big, sprawling map with cool placement choices with plenty of enemies thrown at you.

If you think that kinda sounds like mercenaries, you'd be right. Nothing about the campaigns actually complement the gameplay.

Which reflects on the bosses too: cinematic, setpiece shitfests that are all over the place and a total downgrade from RE4 and 5 which had fucking cool bosses.

Amazing asses, though.

>Resident evil 6
>Good as a game
>Better than 5
Implying 5 and 6 were good games

I don't know what to tell you, but those places leave no impression on me. The detail with each location makes them all blend together, and the game just pulls from 4 and 5s playbook but does it worse.
And like I said in another comment the variety in RE 7 extends to boss fights. I think 7 is just better, whatever

That's kinda the issue, user. RE6 was from an era where they would include an Ada Wong campaign that explained the plot at release. RE7 is from an era where you include the Redfield campaign that explains the plot months after release.