Was this the pinnacle of collectathons?

Was this the pinnacle of collectathons?

Its sequel was.

is it sad that I kinda would rather buy an xbox one for rare replay to play the BKs, viva pinata, jet force gemini and kameo instead of playing yooka laylee?

For sure, this game is the best one.

I'm sure yooka will be decent enough but rare replay is pretty good value especially if you like those old games.

The sequel is horrible, buddy.

Shit level design, horrible framerate, you couldn't collect everything in one go.

They destroyed the concept of musical notes defeating the witch.

The notes was "clustered" toguether.

Everything was confusing.

The last stage was a mix of left overs of DK64, BK and BT.

It is a bad game overall.

>horrible framerate
Every n64 game had a shit framerate

I would fucking KILL for it to be ported to the windows store so I can just play them on my PC without having to shell out for a dude hueg box just for one fucking game but I really want to do it. I still miss playing all of them and would love to play them again.

the problem isn't the target rate but whether or not it dips from that rate (slowdown). It happens frequently in the original N64 version of Tooie

You might as well just emulate.

No, DK 64 was.

A game so good they made you play it 5 times.

cant emulate viva pinata or kameo

you can't even legally purchase viva pinata anymore for the PC since GFWL shut down

No, collectathons both began and peaked in the same game.

Nah. Yoshi stories platforming has it beat.

It's a better platformer but not a better collectathon.

considering it's basically the only way to play the Banjo games nowadays without any graphical glitches (aside from owning an N64) it definitely has a lot of value

DK64 is kind of a mess
>ludicrous amounts of backtracking
>frame rate issues in rainy area's
>half the bananas are stupid easy the other half are so hard that you want to break your controller
>rubber banded races where the game punishes you for playing well.
>very easy to clip though walls.

>5 times.
lol

So, the pinnacle of collectathons right?

Man I replayed this recently and was amazed by how great the controls are. Just fluid and tight movement meanwhile almost every modern game handles like a god damn scissor lift.

He was being sarcastic.

>collect star
>lol let's kick them out of the level 6 times.

I'd argue that Yoshi's Island was the proto-collectathon.

I like DK64 as well. Rare used to be a good company

No shit.

It chokes pretty bad even by N64 standards.

Me, I didn't care. Axing BK's tight level design and doubling down on the minigames and fetch quests is what bothered me. Tooie is a fun game but not a better one

more things to collect does not make a better collectathon
thats like saying xenoblade chronicles x is the best collectathon

the pinnacle of the shit heap is still shit, in fact it might be the shittiest shit, because it's the deepest, freshest bit out of the ass. but this shit ain't it, that's donkey kong 64

Spyro 1 & 2 > Banjo 1 & 2

Fight me.

B-K is a really good mix of collecting shit and platforming/exploring
DK64 is my personal favorite for this genre, all those collectibles, fun levels to explore and do shit, I just love playing that fucker.
It's glitchyness just makes it more fun to fuck around with.

>world changes depending on which star you select at start
Gee I wonder why?

Collectathon was a terrible direction for platforming to go. Prince of Persia Sands of Time is how 3D platforming should have gone. No collecting, platforming, timing, a bunch of skills to platform with, and figuring out how to go through a level is much more satisfying than anything the N64 came out with.

I like the game too. Fun messing around and exploring

I wouln't consider this as a collecathon per se, it's really focused on plataforming and movement rather than collectables.

Farcry 3

Same here. Fuck Yooka Laylee. I'm not interested in a "Spiritual Successor." I want the game, characters, and world I loved to begin with.

keyword: Was

Yooka-Laylee is going to btfo every N64 collectathon.

Banjo 1, Jak and Daxter, Spyro, Crash Twinsanity, CONKER. These are the Collectathon hall of fame. Hat in Time may join this list if it is as good as it appears to be.

>World "changes"
>Can get 95% of all stars by always choosing star 1
Dank meme famalam, Mario 64 is shit compared to it's superiors that came after, it's a relic of a time when a game being 3d was a selling point in itself. We no longer have to settle for mediocre, ugly, heavily flawed crap anymore.

>Mario 64 is shit compared to it's superiors that came after
Name fucking 1, the controls on Mario 64 alone beat out the competition.

Banjo, Spyro, Jak and Daxter
Get fucked

I've played all of those games and none have as good of controls or level design as Mario 64 cuckboy.

>Mario 64's level design
>good
I sure love the same exact boring uninspired worlds

>>Yooka-Laylee
They are going to have to get rid of the bland stages first

>The sequel is horrible, buddy.
Wrong
>Shit level design, horrible framerate, you couldn't collect everything in one go.
I, personally, love how every level is connected. It made the world feel more organic.
>They destroyed the concept of musical notes defeating the witch.
The music notes' still have the same function, really. In BK they opened doors in Grunty's Lair, but in BT they let you learn moves. And you have to learn new moves to advance in the Isle o' Hags.
>The notes was "clustered" toguether.
Because DK64 overdid everything, so Rare scaled back the collectibles considerably. But I liked them being more spread out too, so I'll give you that.
>Everything was confusing.
That's subjective.
>The last stage was a mix of left overs of DK64, BK and BT.
Perhaps that's where they put the rest of their ideas, I don't know.
>It is a bad game overall.
I disagree

Mario 64 doesn't have half the complexity or freedom of movement offered by those games, Mario's controls are pretty good but he is not fun to control, I mean for fuck's sake you lose 90% of your control once you enter the air from a jump, and his turning is clunky like a tank at times. And even though his control is alright, the game is relentlessly tedious and I never want to play it again. I mean I guess if you like climbing a mountain 6 times in a row Mario 64 is a real treat

Banjo's aren't as good, and jak and daxter's are arguably just below par, but spyro is golden. Also unmentioned Sly 2 is the best platformer ever

Mario is not a collectathon you fuckers
the worst 3d mario is better than b&k though

What is wrong with Banjo's controls, in your eyes?

But Spyro, J&D, and BK have the issue even worse.

You're wrong about everything, Mario has tighter and more responsive controls than pretty much everything out there. I never once found myself thinking anything was clanky.

Spyro has great controls and movement options but the worlds aren't really all that diverse imo. I've heard nothing but good things about the Sly games in general but haven't played them so I can't comment.

The connection between worlds was the only good thing that came out of it.

They are Banjo and Kazooie, which are musical instruments, they used the power of music to defeat Gruntilda. But in the next game they "buy" their upgrades? It doesn't make any sense, considering the world building.

This kind of detail is what make you suspend your disbelief or not.

Everything was hyper confusing, how is that subjective?

Some stages didn't even have a reference point, which is standard in good level design.

The last stage was the leftovers of the other games, that stage doesn't even make sense. But since the game would have only 6 stages without it, they had to create that "filler".

>You're wrong about everything
Well I mean I just can't argue with that user, good point m8

>Spyro, J&D, and BK have the issue even worse
Do they really? Well it must be true if you say it is.

>Spyro worlds aren't that diverse
I just don't even know what to say anymore, your logic is perfect, you've befuddled me completely

>But Spyro, J&D, and BK have the issue even worse.
BK's Worlds are incredibly lively and are unique in atmosphere and design. Can't say much about Crash and Spyro though.

I decided to bite the bullet and finally check out Nuts & Bolts. So I ordered a copy from GameStop, and the boxart came looking like this. What the fuck is this shit?

Looks like you got pre0wned

it feels weird as a sequel to BK and the aesthetics are off / feel downright creepy but it's not a bad game in its own right

I mean your argument is "it's just not fun because I can't control him in midair, he's hard to turn, and I don't like the first level." I like the lack of midair control, don't find him hard to turn at all ever, and found very few levels repetitive. A very huge complaint can be given about the camera but other than that you'd have to make a strong argument to sway me.

I found as the game went on it just started to feel dull. The later levels just felt flat and uninteresting to me though obviously that is pretty subjective.

But why get rid of the actual boxart? I can imagine just how good this will look on my shelf.

That's their "we can't be bothered to find a case for it, so we'll make a shitty label and sell it to you for the same price as a complete game" label.

Getting kicked out when you get a star means often repeating shit, at worst scaling a mountain like 4 or 5 times the exact same way. The controls are stiff and you have little freedom of movement in everything that is done off the ground. Worlds are ugly due to very old game, and many levels are real stinkers, like the water levels. None of these problems exist in the other game I mentioned. I 100%ed M64 back when but I don't understand what appeal the game still has. And yeah, camera is not good. Furthermore, your statements that the other games I mentioned have boring worlds or poor controls just outright confuse me, as those are the games' strengths.

When I say many worlds suck, I really meant like a few. My b

xbone slims are cheap my dude.
If you want to play the game and have the cash, just do it.

Because some people trade in their games without a case, so they have to make a case of their own. I'm sure more resources go into printing art for each individual game vs having the same box for everything but with different text.

>tfw Shadow Man is a dead ip

No such thing as a pinnacle for a genre that was never good.

>Getting kicked out when you get a star means often repeating shit, at worst scaling a mountain like 4 or 5 times the exact same way.
I can only think of a few levels where that's even remotely the case and the biggest standout is the first level.

> The controls are stiff and you have little freedom of movement in everything that is done off the ground.
Which means you just have to execute properly.

> Worlds are ugly due to very old game
Doesn't bother me

> and many levels are real stinkers, like the water levels
I'd really only say the sub level before bowser 2 which is what I think you're thinking of before anything else.

> None of these problems exist in the other game I mentioned
BK had very awful water levels.

> Furthermore, your statements that the other games I mentioned have boring worlds or poor controls just outright confuse me, as those are the games' strengths.
BK later levels felt very generic to me, the movement options while decent were often exclusively required to progress at certain areas. Spyro had a similar issue but much better control and movement options in exchange for way too many segments feeling samey. J&D (all games) felt bland as fuck the entire way through though enjoyed drastically better combat than the other games, also janky as fuck controls and movement compared to others.

Yoshi's Island started collectathons, it just wasn't 3D.

>Hat in Time
Is that ever coming out?

Your opinion man, we just disagree

Such things happen.

what a weird thing to dislike a game over.

I recently replayed them both one after another about a year ago. Both amazing games, both great for similar but different reasons.

BK:
>more consistent level design
>less gimmicky jiggies
>very few if any abilities are context specific

BT:
>more variety in level design, some better levels and some worse
>better boss fights

People don't realise that levels like Mayahem Temple, Witchyworld and Cloud Cuckooland were the worst levels in the game but that Terrydactyland, Hailfire Peeks and Grunty Industries were the best.

People complain that Terrydactyland is too vast with nothing to do and that Grunty Industries is too confusing, but seriously go play them again right now; their level design is stellar. There's always something to do and so much to explore. You could be looking for one jiggy and find another 3 on the way, rather than going to each segregated section.

In fact those kinds of levels are very similar to some of the best levels in BK like Treasure Trove Cove and Mad Monster Mansion. Terrydactyland, for example, may feel big but there's something to do everywhere you look.

I do have the cash, I just can't justify spending ~$300 for a single game (even if that game is a compilation of other games)

especially when the console involve is a fucking microshit console

>I, personally, love how every level is connected. It made the world feel more organic.
I absolutely love when games do this, but I can't think of any others besides Metroid Fusion.

Why specifically Fusion? It's a metroidvania staple. I particularly liked how smoothly Symphony of the Night's castle loops back around.

It's not a remarkable feature in Castlevania because every area is part of the castle, so it feels normal. But it would be in Portrait of Ruin because it has an actual hub and then several (unconnected) worlds.
In Metroid Fusion, you have the hub and then the different sectors. There are several parts of the game in which you're forced to move from one sector to another without going through the hub (usually because a wall is suddenly destroyed or elevators stop working), but the game is actually full of secret shortcuts between them that you wouldn't find in your first playthrough.

But they are confusing, I replayed it around 3 years ago.

They are exremely confusing.

But I really liked how we "open" the Grunty Industries. I didn't remember, it was really cool.

But both Grynty and Terrydactyland don't have any reference point, so everything looks the same, and you keep walking all over places trying to memorize everything.

I don't know who is more delusional. People saying Tooie is better than Kazooie or people saying DK64 is better than anything.

Tooie DOES do some things better than Kazooie and DK64 has better boss battles than almost every 3D platformer of its time.