Steam paid mods

does valve need to be reminded who is in charge? let them know we do not want this shit pcgamer.com/valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UskEciHZbjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're not in charge, if that's what you are asking.

lmao is this a protest?? HELL NO, MILO. HELL NO, MILO

Just include donations or patreon or whatever, but don't fucking force it, specially if valve gets revenue like what happened last time.

The consumer base is in charge

Free market, retard.

I'm personally more worried about paid online. Even when I never use mods I'll help boycott Valve's new project so they don't get new stupid ideas.

It's that time again...

youtube.com/watch?v=UskEciHZbjs

>mfw I made $47 on that first paid mods wave by uploading random shit from Nexus

jesus christ that's an awful shop

I made 50 bucks in three hours of work.

Are you retarded?

It's amazing. There's far too many mods and oddities in modding to ever fucking nickel and dime it, and there's no way to properly wrangle them to their proper owners.

Many mods are connected to other mods, created by others. It's a fucking endless web of bullshit that can't be monetized without it always being a fucking dumpster fire.

I was easily able to just post tiny bullshit onto there for a buck and under. Nothing was ever taken down. I did have one of the supposed creators make a comment on the page, but there wasn't really anything he could do, because they never fucking thought of how messy this was.

I'll be stealing people's shit again and I guarantee you it'll be just as messy the second coming.

Free market, retard.

>pay the modders

lmao

Just wait.
They will start with Steam Gold Accounts first, to get idiots used to it.
If it takes off a few years after they will implement full paid online.

Free market, retard.

If they start doing that I'll refund all of the games I've bought with an online component. Hell, I may get back to pirating.

>expected a subtle BB thread
rip

>"Modders 'absolutely' need to be paid"
Right. Because modding never existed until Gabe's greedy fat ass swooped in to monetize every single fucking little thing in video games.

Valve should have a worse reputation than Activision or EA.

we just had this thread, it's just going to devolve into shitposting and pretend paid mod supporters getting BTFO

keep on posting best girl

>has a penis
>girl

thats what makes her best girl

Best girl was the glasses girl in that ONLY video.

If you wanted to completely break ties with Steam, you don't actually have an option to take the games you paid for with you, do you? Like, if Steam implemented paid accounts and a number of people were so disgusted they wanted to leave, Valve wouldn't give them a dime, right?

the brown short hair chick? she was in episode 2 for a bit.

Free market, retard.

>you don't actually have an option to take the games you paid for with you, do you?
No I don't; I know that. I'm perfectly aware that Steam is basically digital blockbuster and if one day papa Gaben says "Steam is no more" all of the money I've spend on Steam will be lost. And If people decide to leave all what Valve will do is to say "sayonara, suckers".

Still, they'll stop getting money from me. I'm an insignificant man, a spit in the sea, worthless as trash, but I don't care.

Free market, retard.

Yeah.
I have a thing for short hair and glasses, so hard to find girls like her.

Oh no, I agree with you. I was asking honestly, I can't remember if Steam had any kind of return policy or any way to give you the games you bought.

Valve has a monopoly on PC gaming. They can start charging for everything and no one will be able to do anything.

>Valve has a monopoly on PC gaming
damn, I guess those GOG games I bought last xmas and the bundlestars and humble games I bought recently are all imaginary...woah

As far as I'm aware, the only money you're getting back is Steam wallet money. All the real money is gone forever as soon as you buy.

i understand your pain

The day they do, shit like GoG will grow rapidly.

This. I have a feeling we will see steam requiring monthly subscriptions for some features soon too. Mostly like PSN and XBONE LIVE.

>damn, I guess those GOG games
What games? The Witcher, The Witcher 2, The Witcher 3, and some 1994 DOS WRPG?

>bundlestars and humble games
Oh, you mean Steam greenlight early access indie games?

I wish. Same with Origin.

That would be a shame. Steam as a service, and I'm not just talking about the store, is year lights beyond PSN (I bought a PS4 last November; my credit card got blocked because their shitty database can't recognize hypens). I would hate to stop using it but they aren't going to charge me for using my internet. I already paid for the games.

There's no way that's going to happen. Valve isn't THAT stupid.

>What games? The Witcher, The Witcher 2, The Witcher 3, and some 1994 DOS WRPG?

>t. steam pesant that got rejected out of the big boys GOG club.

It's ok user gabeN has plenty of trading cards and shiny pictures from games for you to play with.

Which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that you don't get the option to take your games with you, so if you leave Steam you end up moneyless and gameless.

There is no point in buying those games given how the developers disappeared a long time ago.
Their catalog lacks new releases.

And I found The Witcher 1 to be a very tedious, boring experience so I'll never touch the rest of the series.

Yeah, I know. I'll be monelyless and gameless and my little tantrum will amount to nothing. Still don't care.

>There's no way that paid mods are going to happen. Valve isn't THAT stupid.

They were pretty invincible back then. Not anymore.

retards posting HL3 shit and not having figured out with their 55 iq that its not gonna be released need to be killed with their shit families

valve can literally PISS AND SHIT in every single retard mouth and they would ask for more

whenever valve decide to do this again they will, and will win

and what would they give game developers in exchange ? There is no incentive for people who make games to use a delivery platform like that if it was the case.

Not your person army, faggot

Not really.
GOG stole some abandonware website's HDDs and that's all what they have.
Origin only has EA games so it's basically like the History Channel but replace pawn shops shows with Battlefield
Meanwhle people doesn't say "____ will be ported to PC". People say: "_______ is coming to Steam".

Steam is pretty much invincible. As consumers we fucked up everything.

>There is no point in buying those games given how the developers disappeared a long time ago.

You do realize GOG actually patches most older games and has it ready to go from a single click within the client? You do realize a lot of games come with wallpapers, soundtracks, PDFs of manuals. Some people want to play the games, I don't care if the money doesn't go to a developer, they already made their money and I don't mind paying CD projekt red for convienence and extras

>Their catalog lacks new releases.

Right cause games like yooka laylee, stardew valley, steamworld heist are all old releases. Steam just wins in the AAA cunt DRM publishers and waifu games department. If people didn't pirate every game under the sun and companies didn't have to put more and more DRM on games you'd get more AAA games on GOG anyways.

>they're creating value and the degree to which they're not being accurately compensated is a bug in the system, right?

This quote just shows how much of a fucking corporate whore Newell has become.
Is he seriously unable to imagine that there is a facet to this garbage industry that isn't about nickel and diming people?
He paints this narrative where modders are held at gunpoint in chinese sweatshops making skyrim fishing mods they don't want to for free.
And you know this is insincere as fuck too, Gabe doesn't give a single shit about modders, they're just trying to find a way to incorporate the Steam monopoly money into the equation and get a cut for other peoples work. What a fucking asshole.

1. Those games were already patched years ago by pirates.
2. You can find those wallpapers, soundtracks, PDFs and manuals online for free. Same with the games.
3. Why does CD Projekt believes it deserves my money? They didn't create those games. If someone deserves my money was the developer who created them, not some parasite feasting on other videogame companies' rotting carcasses.
4. What if you like AAA cunt DRM publisher games or waifu games? Are they worthless because CD Projekt can't profit from them?

By the way I only buy new releases from Steam and I've bought recent indie games from Valve. I love DOS first person shooters like Doom 1 and 2 or Blood (my favorite game of all time) but I'll never buy them from any service because that money isn't going to create new games like those and isn't going to the people who created them in the first place.

Valve games are shit anyway.

I want to fuck Kitami Reika while jacking her off and rub her dick while eating her out.

I love how they're trying to look like good guys for jerking off modders when all they want is a bit of the revenue.

*from Valve
I meant GOG. I'm a fucking retard.

Found this anime browsing someones open directory, had no idea that it was a cult classic but it was good ntl.

>mfw i did this too with companion waifu mods

And the funny thing is, modders do it because they want to, not for money.

>We understand our own game's communities pretty well

Unless you give them this option like what happened in 2015. Remember how the SkyUI dev showed just how much of a money grubbing whore he was?

>I'm a fucking retard.
I know. I read your post.

>steam pesant that got rejected out of the big boys GOG club

Have fun playing only games from the 90s!

If they need to be paid, they should remove their 75% tax.

I would go to gog then
no fucks given

>we feel these excellent modders should definitely be paid for the outstanding work they do
>but only if we get to take a percentage
I have no doubt if gabe could charge a subscription fee to use steam like ps+ or xbox live without any backlash to valve profits then he would do it

Great! Now I will have to pay for the mod bugfixes for my AAA trash! Wonderful!
Now devs will be free to work on DLC right after shipping the game instead of bothering with day 1 patches and general bugfix!
Outstanding I say!

You joke but if we don't push back fucking HARD against this shit that could end up happening. Just look at how fucking bad DLC has gotten. You can't even unlocked costumes in games anymore, you have to buy them.

While GOG definitely has plenty more games than just the Witcher, I have to agree that GOG couldn't replace steam. Steam is too big. Nobody can currently replace it. We could all just pirate everything though.

Ok. Can you refute this retard's points, my good user? I'll help you:
1. From a moral standpoint pirating is wrong and from a legal standpoint it's illegal. Paying to CDProjekt, even when don't deserve the money, is the legal and moral thing to do given how they own the distribution rights for all of those games.
2. You can argue that you're paying CDProject for those old games' storage. A pirate website can be taken down at any time and torrents stop being seeding. Meanwhile GOG will always be there.
3. They're right for the wrong reasons. They champion the "games shouldn't have intrusive DRM like Steam", a noble endeavour and the right thing to do, but not for altruistic reasons:
>Almost all of their catalog is made of games that everyone and their mother already pirated so they don't need to worry about the developer or themselves losing money.
>The Witcher series came out around the time when (note how stupid it sounds) "Realistic Fantasy" media, like Game of Thrones, became popular. So their Witcher trilogy is so popular right now that piracy doesn't matter, not even bothering with protecting The Witcher 3. Another would be their tune if they were newcomers to the industry or The Witcher wasn't as popular as it is.

Why can't more devs handle this the way Warframe does.

>community makes new stuff
>most popular stuff gets picked by the devs, ensuring it still works with the artstyle of the game
>placed as an in-game purchase through Steam/XBL/PSN

>amateur content creators get money
>only decent stuff gets in
>everybody wins

The issue with paid mods is and always has been dependencies. Skyrim mods almost universally rely on SKSE, Mod Configuration Menu, HDT Physics, compatibility skeletons, body replacers like CBBE and UNP, animation tools like FNIS, the list goes on and on. The same goes for other games, someone has to make a modding resource first (i.e. an animation replacement tool) before the mod itself can be built. These resources typically aren't compatible with one another, either, so the community will pick the best tools and use those exclusively.

Complex mods aren't things that can be wrapped up in neat little packages and sold for $6.99. They're castles built on the ruins of other castles built on the ruins of other castles.

People pushed back the first time, haven't they? It shouldn't take much to get a second push once Valve decides to pull the trigger and shoot itself in the other foot.

That's it first it was gamergate now the kikes wanna take our vidya. When does the uprising in seattle happen? Normies will face the wraith of the NEET horde

Not quite.
They stepped back because the lack of control and QA meant the whole thing was a terrible clusterfuck of broken and/or stolen mods being submitted.

I doubt that Valve hasn't learned of a way to greater manipulate people into thinking this time it won't be as bad or this time it'll actually be good. Also this

Anyone else feel pity for how increasingly desperate valve is to try and turn a bigger profit without doing any work?

>they're just trying to find a way to incorporate the Steam monopoly money into the equation and get a cut for other peoples work
Of course that's all they give a shit about.

If they truly wanted to compensate modders, and that was in fact their priority, all they had to do was add a fucking donate button to the workshop. No shenanigans with unauthorized use of assets or IP, modders get paid by people who want to pay them. Everyone wins.

Oh, right, except Valve, so that won't work.

I worked hard on my $100 golden potato mod

They are probably going to try with a "clean" game without an active modding community yet.
Probably a big new AAA release

>buying GOG games
pirate them dummy

And they didn't see that coming? How fucking incompetent are they would they have to be to not see that monetizing literally thousands of mods quite clearly made with copyrighted IP and assets wouldn't be anything but an incomprehensibly huge problem problem?

I don't believe it, people fucking lost their minds over it and that's why it went away. the don't care about anything but their bottom line and there was some serious backlash over this.

I smell a new elder scrolls

>not supporting the developers

And to absolutely no one's surprise the resulting mod "community" will be sparse at best and non-existent at worst.

It's people like this that we are forced to take it up the ass from GabeN

Even reddit shit on Gaben and le downvoted him when he tried to push Paid Mods. Gaben thought he could hire some of his untalented ASSFAGGOTS shitter "modders" from doturd2 who make Hats and have them shit out $5 pajamas and a Sword retexture that TOTALLY wasn't from Dark Souls for Skyrim, and everybody would get onboard with it. NOPE.

Now if Gaben would be willing to put his OWN MONEY where his mouth is and launch a Premium Modules service that would put modders to work on projects for a paycheck then that'd be something else. BioWare tried that in the past with Neverwinter Nights premium modules--it was a bust, but that's the sort of program Valve should try to launch instead of just paying scammers to steal shit from the Nexus, slap a pricetag on it and direct all user complaints to the author on the Nexus who they fucking stole the mod from. Gaben did this before because Valve hired the guys who made L4D, Valve hired the guys who made Portal, Valve hired the guys who made Counterstrike and Gary's Mod. Send them a JOB OFFER, not a fucking dollar (and conveniently censoring their ability to link to Patreon or Paypal where you could donate directly to them instead of lettingTodd and Gaben steal 70% of the jewgolds for themselves for doing nothing)

>developers
>GOG

Well, they developed the store front, right?

>"NO THIS CAN"T BE HAPPENING!"
>"I'M IN CHARGE HERE!"

You won't do jack shit. People will just bitch and moan on fagbook, faggit and fagchan and then go quietly into the night as they reluctantly accept the new changes.

no, you see, we PC gamers dont stand for that shit, we tell em fuck you get out of here

Ah huh.

>2017
>A VN to surpass bible black has yet to be released

What went wrong, Sup Forums?

>What went wrong, Sup Forums?
>VN
There's your answer.

Never understood the problem with allowing modders to charge for their work. All they had to do was add a donation button as an option, and there's nothing to complain about.

*autistic screeching*

because then they'd actually get paid for their work instead of publishers taking a gigantic share.

>valve-modders-absolutely-need-to-be-paid/
how about by the fucking devs.