How do we stop console death jet

How do we stop console death jet

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/
gamasutra.com/view/news/291288/Layoffs_hit_Activisionowned_Infinity_Ward_Beenox_and_others.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All I see is Nintendo dieing off, which isn't a surprise. Tablets and smartphones are gutting them.

I've bought a Xbox One this week
I'm helping I guess

By embracing pc gaming

Consoles are an outdated concept, why do you need a special box just for games when any personal computer or phone can do the same?

Spiderman farting Elsa(male) in the face

PC gaming is dead and has been dead for a decade

they deserved it the psp was great it should have won

No you're not.

2016 was even worse.

Is this consoles sold? They are all reaching their EOL so it's not that surprising they are dying off.
Neither is the market shrinking for that matter, because Millennials are getting too old to game.

Global sales 2008-2016

statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/

Impressive drop. I had PS3 last gen and a PSP too, nothing this gen. I guess there's a lot of me around.

>the DS alone sold more in 2008 than everything in 2016

I removed all mobile devices (smartphones/tablets own that space now deal with it)

So it's strictly consoles vs PC.

And... consoles seem to have stabilized.

You won't.

Eventually tablets/videogames/pcs/phones/laptops will all be the same device - probably something similar to how surface pros/the switch will be.

Remove economic immigration/tourism

That would unironically solve like half the problem

There will always be a market for a dedicated laptop and maybe even tower PC form factor, the reason being that you can't pack enough performance into tablet/phone form factor for certain work loads.
Unless a serious change in materials science happens. And battery technology. Which isn't improving very fast.

The Switch is impressive, but 3-6 hour battery life is completely inadequate for anything beyond consumer special purpose use. For phones it's definitely not good enough. My phone lasts somewhere around 72 hours and I find it to be a huge hassle.
So that eventually is probably a very long time away. If it will ever happen. Because it relies on performance requirements to stay the same.

are you ok? can you interpret a graph?

I'm curious as to what the fuck you think that is. you know that the world is a global market now and that's just a simple fact, right?

>economic immigration/tourism
Is this an official Sup Forums pseudo intellectual term?

What the fuck is that.

That's still not good considering 2014 was the start of a new gen and 2012-2013 was the end of the longest gen we've had so far.

So everyone that's not Sony is struggling to sell consoles then? I wonder if the future is a Sony monopoly on consoles like Nintendo had for a while.

T. Neoliberal

Thank god we're driving down wages so the welfare system can be overloaded while we pat ourselves on the back for lifting 0.5% of the world's poor out of poverty as their home nations' population growth outpaces our immigration by 100x and collapses their economies as well

Very doubtful. Switch will probably be successful and there are other possible competitors who can enter the market to compete with Sony. If it's worth competing.

I don't know if it is.

>largest gaming market and only growing
saying something doesn't make it true

Playstation 4 was up YoY in 2016 so this isn't accurate.

>Switch will probably be successful and there are other possible competitors
I really don't see that happening. In either case the switch won't get third party support and is competing against the current PS4. When the PS5 is inevitably revealed I don't see MS following suit and Nintendo cutting the life of the Switch should it have any to play catch up.

2016 is still down from 2015 by about 17%

Microsoft has already revealed their next gen console. The Scorpio is actually, from what I've gathered, a full blown next gen console. Not something like the PS4 Pro, which is merely an upgrade. So Microsoft, unless they scrapped that project, are going to release their next gen console first. Whether they'll call it that or not.

Also, with Switch it isn't necessarily about the games (however there is third party support from non-AAA publishers because the Switch is really easy to port to), but rather the hardware. The Switch hardware is interesting. So I predict that it will be successful even if the game lineup is relatively weak.
Not to imply I can't be wrong.

>third party support
Those games are also selling fewer copies every year, while budgets and costs go up.

They don't sell on Nintendo's consoles. Period. People just don't want CoD on a Nintendo console, that's all there is to it. So until third parties want to make anything but AAA garbage Nintendo won't see much support from them. The demographics they want for their AAA garbage don't play on Nintendo's consoles.

They would need more third-party games that aren't just ports of shit people would rather play on a PS4, they need original games from third parties and everyone is too afraid to take any risks right now due to the contraction of the console industry coupled with ballooning costs.

Nintendo supposedly sits on this huge war chest, why not fund more games? They are good with budget apparently. Go ahead and spend some money. Don't make me wait 3 months for a game. And I better hope I like and want that game or that drought is even longer.

>29 million,nearly 30 million DS sold in 2008
>23 million consoles + handheld sold in 2016 combined
Do you?

They are.

ARMS is a new game, and they've funded and published plenty of small projects like the Fast Racing games.

I'm not getting a Switch at launch because all I want is Zelda and I have MK8, but they have one first-party title just about every month so far for the year.

>ARMS
user please stop. You're embarrassing yourself at this point. Might as well mention 1 2 Switch. Or at least Splatoon 2, that would be less desperate.

>Consoles finally dying
About fucking time. Nvidia predicted they would die in 5 or so years actually. Every fanboy and marketer shitposted they were idiots, and look at them now. Not laffin anymore, huh?

>ARMS
>shovelware

Largest outside mobile, mobile gaming is the biggest market now sadly.

They only said that because they were mad that AMD had a hardware monopoly last gen

The Switch's Code Name Steam.

This shouldn't surprise anyone, consoles dying isn't really a bad thing anyways.

just from anecdotal evidence me and atleast 3 of my friends were actually pissed enough at the announcement of the PS4Pro that we all eventually moved to PC. Granted one of my friends plays nothing but train sim, euro truck sim, my summer car , and the like but all in all we're pretty happy with our decision.

I'm not sure if they had reason to be mad about that given that they had an advantage on the PC gaming market and near monopoly in supercomputing.. And that hasn't gotten any better for AMD in the past few years.

Let it die.

Before the "PC Master Race" folks take this as vindication for the superiority of mouse-and-keyboard controls for first-person shooters or something, it's worth pointing out the types of PC games that are generating most of that revenue. SuperData reckons free-to-play MMOs generated more than half of all PC gaming revenues in 2015 ($17 billion), with "social network-based gaming" taking another 25 percent of the total revenue haul ($8 billion).

The list of top 10 PC games by revenue was also dominated by free-to-play titles, from the Western-friendly League of Legends and World of Tanks to Asian-centered MMOs like CrossFire and Dungeon Fighter Online. The only pay-to-play single-player title to break into that top 10 is Grand Theft Auto V, at No. 10.

the future is sony dying as PC takes over its niche and Microsoft absorbs Xbox back into the main body

>PC takes over its niche
You're absolutely retarded if you believe this.

There are millions upon millions of people out there who buy a console, hook it up to the living room and buy the yearly CoDs, FIFA's and Maddens. If you think they are going to shift over to PC I have no idea what to say to you.

By buying Nintendo. The other systems are shit PCs.

Not the pseudo intellectual fedora trump lover, but here's why slowing down globalization will revive gaming:

1. Less globalization means less competition
2. Less competition means less time must be spent competing
3. Less time spent competing means more time spent on fun / rest
4. More time on fun means more time on video games
5. More time on video games better justifies more video game purchases

We've already reached the point in our economy where machines grown all our food. Theoretically, we should be able to rest on our laurels, yet, we are more competitive than ever mostly because we are uncertain about the future that globalization is heralding.

I do agree with posters here that Nintendo needs to fund bolder new projects than ARMS. Bring back Custom Robo, Nintendo!

I think it is because consoles are getting way too expensive, same for pc gaming.
Not many can afford them anymore, and also not many can buy $60 plus dlc easily every week.
The economy is not good for being able to waste so much money in non-essential shit.

Considering there are already PCs that are literally console form-factor and can be hooked up to a TV in a living room quickly and easily, they could easily make the transition.
Hell, that's Alienware's target audience.

Actually, while M&K is superiour control method for FPS games, that type of a game isn't as popular on PC as it is on consoles. So I don't know why you're bringing that genre up at all.

I don't think anyone expects them to scurry on PC any time soon. I doubt the FPS dudebro market is going to keep growing though. FPS games on consoles are just rehashed releases of the same shit over and over. There's only so much of that you can stomach.

Yea, $60 base isn't too bad, but with all the fucking DLC it ends up being upwards of $100 for a full fucking game.

>Considering there are already PCs that are literally console form-factor and can be hooked up to a TV in a living room quickly and easily
They're called consoles. It's for people who don't wanna deal with hardware and software issues. Glad you're catching on though.

PS4 iwill survive

>that type of a game isn't as popular on PC as it is on consoles
Uwotm8?
CSGO probably has more owners than the latest CoD.
FPS are extremely popular on PC, just not the same ones that are popular on consoles.

>PC gaming is dead
no it's not
>let me explain how that's kind of incorrect though it is correct

you're an insecure faggot

>It's for people who don't wanna deal with hardware and software issues.
No such thing, even consoles have hardware and software issues.
And lets be honest, people are willing to put up with all sorts of hardware and software issues on their phones, they'll have no problem with these issues on something like an Alienware Alpha.

Sales of Pc are declining because Bill forced win 10 on everything, they removed win 8.1 and 7 already. You can't get any new legal keys. The ones that are in the market right now are the last ones, once they are sold out there won't be anymore.

the "living room" space is becoming irrelevant, as is monopolising the TV, especially since people are buying fewer and fewer TVs
hell I don't even own one

That's not a console FPS. Console FPS games are so different that I literally forgot Overwatch and CSGO are FPS games.

Nah, the dudebros won't play these. Games like CoD aren't popular.

When I was a kid and didn't know anything about computers I would pray and hope to god that mine would be able to handle whatever new game I wanted to play that particular time. It's why consoles are so appealing. You just match the label on the game case with what you have and you're golden.
The issues on a console pale in comparison to possible issues on pc. Normies don't wanna download drivers or shit like that.

>biggest market
>somehow brings in the less revenue

Why not? Don't you like playing games sometime in a big ass monitor?
>BUT LAG
Quality tvs have gaming mode and fast refresh mode, not an argument anymore.

>Nah, the dudebros won't play these
Who cares what dudebros will or won't play?

Dudebros are the majority now, faggot.
This is why every game is now a wanna be movie.

>When I was a kid and didn't know anything about computers I would pray and hope to god that mine would be able to handle whatever new game I wanted to play that particular time.
I hate to tell you user, but kids nowadays are a lot smarter than you were when you were a kid.
Normies won't have much of a choice, appealing to the lowest common denominator means you will eventually be replaced, and consoles are currently being replaced by phones.
So either try to get every phonefag poorfag to buy a console or learn how to into PC.

>Dudebros are the majority now, faggot.
No shit nigger, that's why games are so shit, once they stop appealing to dudebros they can be a little less shit, so as far as I'm concerned less dudebros is a good thing.

I don't care, but I'm just saying consoles won't completely die out because the dudebros are gonna be there playing their CoD and games of that genre are unpopular on the PC... and will probably stay that way for a very long time.

This is just Nintendo dying as a platform holder, not all consoles dying

>We've already reached the point in our economy where machines grown all our food.

lol

Considering how poorly the last CoD sold compared to BO3, that market isn't sustainable.
Especially with the layoffs Activision has seen recently.
gamasutra.com/view/news/291288/Layoffs_hit_Activisionowned_Infinity_Ward_Beenox_and_others.php

They will leave eventually, this is a well known fact. The problem now is, once the ADHD dude bros leave for greener pastures, what is gonna happen? these greedy fucks tasted the huge sales, I don't know if they are going to cope with miserable 100k sales again like in the old days.
That's my fucking concern now.

Yea, no, I agree. The market is going to shrink. I don't think it'll just disappear, though.

Oh it won't just disappear of course, just slowly dwindle over time.

>I don't know if they are going to cope with miserable 100k sales again like in the old days.
Who cares?
The devs who feel like that are mainly shit anyways, and those that aren't will have to get used to it.

This is pure bullshit. The PS4 already sold over 50 million consoles

Or they go and try something else and we are left with indies and cellphone garbage forever.

That graph adds up to like 36 million. Notice how 2016 is missing? Yeah, that's about +14m.

>Or they go and try something else
AHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH
Do you really believe this?

Didn't nintendo people said they should try making movies and medicines instead of games? or was that a faggot just shitposting.

>Don't you like playing games sometime in a big ass monitor?
no
I like playing games on my computer so I can alt-tab and do other shit when I want a break.

Imagine if people said this shit after the WiiU failed.
>T-THE WII SOLD SO MUCH, NOW THAT HUGE MARKET IS GONE, SO MANY DEVS WILL JUST FUCK OFF AND DO SOMETHING ELSE!
You're fucking stupid if you believe this, vidya will never stop being a thing, it was a thing before consoles and it'll be a thing after consoles.

Interestingly PS4 is the only console in the pic that is growing in sales

I'm sure that ps4 will have an amazing year, over 60 million consoles sold by the end of the year.

MS is still selling relatively well in murrika.

Wii U was an underwhelming piece of utter shit but even the shitty Switch looks that it will do ok.

So no, consoles aren't "dying"

You can plug the computer to the tv, retard. I do it all the time, only reason why I got a 32 inch tv.

>So no, consoles aren't "dying"
Consoles are dying m8, handhelds are still consoles and calling the WiiU "underwhelming" is the understatement of the century.
The WiiU was a fucking flop of epic proportions, and I say this as a WiiU owner.
Personally, I think the future is tiny set-top boxes that are the size of smartphones anyways, kind of like those Intel NUC devices.

PS4 is selling because it's actually getting good games, but the whole market is shrinking. Which is not a good sign for Sony either.

This is real? That would certainly explain some things.

PS4 has sold 53.4 million, shipped 57.1 million

>handhelds are still consoles

No

Yes they are, fucking retard.

Yes.
Handheld consoles are consoles.

Yea I'm not gonna bother looking up the exact number. 2016 and 2017 obviously accounts for the rest.

Nigger this is like saying laptops aren't PCs.
Fuck off with this shit.

>PC gaming is dead
Point out where he said that, faggot.

That's MS and Nintendo fault for shitting the bed

The Wii and the NDS were runaway successes that could easily skew the graph. I'd be interested in seeing what the graph looks like going back another 8 years.