Tried too hard to be a smash clone
Snake was already taken by Smash
It wasn't as fun as smash either

not an argument.

DONTE

Roster wasn't as iconic as Smash.
Mechanics weren't as well-liked.

>Tried too hard to be a smash clone
Someone didn't play the game-- the biggest problem was that it wasn't enough like a smash bros game. The special kills system sucked dick and the levels and movement was lame.

They tried to make a blatant ripoff of a game that had ten times the polish and characters that were infinitely more recognizable.

A more efficient question would be: what went right?

Kratos' Battle Royale featuring useless cannon fodder

What went right would be a better question

I was talking more about the marketing than anything

>fat princess
too much body-shaming.

>tfw remember this actually happened

Jesus fucking Sony is fucking pathetic, every single time they try to copy some Nintendo success fails misserably.

Besides, What were they thinking? Lke, SMB works because the characters are iconic as fuck but this? Who the fucks knows those aside from people who is really into Videogames? And what the fuck is that racoon and that fatslut?

>too many literal whos
>cole twice

>Missing too many big name characters
>Unbalanced as hell
>Shit single player/lack of content

the only fun part was using tekken guys bear special because it was so OP and i'm pretty sure it was kill on contact

>1/3 of your roster is bland dudebro characters that have no place in a party game at all period.
>1/3 of your roster is literally whos
>1/3 of your roster is acceptable but still desperate in comparison to smash bros
>your mechanics and movement are worse than brawl
>your graphics are worse than brawl apart from just being at a higher resolution
>nintendo players still like couch coop while the bast majority of the 360/ps3 market actively tried to push people away from it

when your big stars competing with mario link and pikachu are fucking kratos, nathan drake, and goddamn SACKBOY youre fucked.

I've said this repeatedly, but the biggest flaw is that the game feels like mashing action figures against each other.
In SF or Smash, you beat the opponent and they lose health or get knocked farther.

All Stars has no health. There's no real tug-of-war element to it.
You beat the shit out of your opponent with a combo, and you're back to basically the start of the match, except now you have a meter chunk. Do this again and you get to expend your meter, drop back to zero, and now both players are at zero meter- basically back to the start of the match except you have a kill beneath your belt.

Yaaay.
Now repeat.

A stun meter could help. A way to kill without expending meter or expending less meter would lessen the feeling of grinding.

No Spyro.
Donte.

Everytime Sony tries to steal an idea from someone else it turns out shit.

>What went right?
The stages and characters we actually got were pretty cool.
Polygon Man and Parappa's cutscenes were nice touches.

>Take small time developer
>Tell them to make something to rival smash bros
>Tell them to do it in half the time
>Tell them they are getting a fraction of the budget
>Tell them they can't use any of the characters people want to see
>Get mad when they don't make something which rivals Smash.

>what went right?
I thought the character design was pretty good. In the sense that they gave each character a unique gameplan that was easily recognizable and was satisfying to achieve. Balance was fucked though.

>Balance was fucked, though
Is there a tier list?

Several for each patch actually
Their actually was one version of the game that was reasonably well balanced, but the devs couldn't stop shitting on the game even 10 patches later

They took the analog stick idea from Nintendo and made it better by adding a second one.

>mfw this game would have dominated every single competitive event if nintendo didn't run such a successful smear campaign against it

>Smear campaign

I don't recall Nintendo even responding to the game, why bother?

it's readily evident that they hired people to make negative posts about the game all over reddit and Sup Forums

Any consistency? Characters usually at the top or bottom?

I legit think the Sony roster is too edgy to carry a fun platform fighter. Having characters like Nathan Drake, Killzone Guy, and Zombie Scuba Diver exist in the same world as cartoony characters feels like an aberration.Smash bros has almost no realistic characters - even Bayonetta is deeply steeped in style and magic shit, even if she has guns,

Why would they even have to when anyone that played the game knew it was shit.

The game was kinda broken and had some serious balancing issues. Also for a Playstation All-Stars they were missing some really important characters, like Solid Snake, Ryu and Cloud, which were all in smash.

people who played the game loved it
nintendo wanted to hide that fact

in fact this very thread was created by nintendo as an attempt to discredit any future developments in the sony all stars universe

I bought the game, played it, and hated almost every second of it, and I doubt I'm in the minority

Top Characters: The ones you have to download
High Tier: Kratos
Semi High: Guys with guns (Killzone, Nathan Drake, the Coles)
Ehh Tier: Thicc Princess and Raiden

Bad Tier: Everyone Else

Shit Tier: Parappa

That's what happens when you rely on 3rd-party developers to provide content for your platforms. IIRC, they wanted Crash in the roster, but Activision asked for too much money.

Unnecessary characters
>Big Daddy
>Isaac
>fucking Donte
I liked Raiden so I won't complain about him

>Characters that were always at the top
Kratos
Drake
Kat(In all patches that involve her, she's considered banable for a variety of reasons)
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper

>Perma low tiers
Radec
Spike
Sir Dan
Big Daddy
Zeus
Sweet Tooth

As for shifts
>Evil cole started out top, then got nerfed to mid-low
>Good Cole started out mid-low, then got buffed to top
>Dante started out as the worst character and got buffed to high
>Raiden was was top, got neutered to low, and then buffed to high
>Nariko and Sackboy have been everywhere

Having combos built into the system to make it a more high-execution necessary game. In appealing to fans who wanted their Smash clone to be more like a Real Fighting Game, they forgot that normies like Smash Bros because they can play for fun without gitting gud

Almost forgot
>Toro was a high tier character that got nerfed to bottom tier despite being the most tame character in high tier

The KO system.

>all of the fun characters (Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Toro, Sir Dan) besides possibly Sly suck
Damn.

The most recognizable character wasn't even a PS native or exclusive (Big Daddy)

Was the price the issue on the dev teams side or Sony?

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the game focused on getting super moves then proceeding to not balance those super moves needs to be blacklisted. Most of the best strategies came from the characters who had the most broken level ones and spamming it to high heaven.

I'm with this guy. I played it expecting the best, and was just disappointed.

If you play unpatched Toro and Parappa are perfectly viable high tiers.
Patches fucked this game so hard. Half the roster went from viability to maybe 4 characters after you ban Kat.

Tried to be smash bros, but then threw in some autistic competitive ideas to try to distinguish it. Took the premise of a party fighter and ruined it. Also felt like a blatant advertisement instead of a celebration of Sony's first party titles.

>Character had a great movepool that was both fun, and captured their style
>Except their special moves, dooming them to shit-tier status
What's their name?

I've said it once and I'll say it again, they didn't make the art style big and cartoony like Smash Bros is.

You ever notice how Mario's Fist in Smash Bros turns like 10x it's size when he throws a big punch? That's a very necessary decision because that way the player can easily read what's going on. The action needs to be easy to read even when the camera is zoomed all the way out.

PASBR should have gone for a Chibi Look for all the characters. All the characters should have had big and lively animations so you could see what the hell they're doing.

Look at this random image I got off google. Why the hell are Nathan Drake and Big Daddy just standing there. What the hell is the Heavenly Sword bitch even doing there.

Onimusha Blade Warriors had the same problem.

The developers.

Game was cross-buy, which meant it was gutless so it could fit on the Vita.

what's with all these autists acting like characters have to be "iconic" (read: shoved down your throat for multiple decades) to be fun to use?

balance involving the only way to kill being smash attacks
pick a person with a multikill level one smash attack attack and your golden

My personal view (Sir Dan main here)
>Top
Kat
Donte
Emeret
>High
Kratos
Nathan
Sly
>Mid
Raiden
Isaac
Nariko
Sir Dan
Radec
Zeus
Sweet Tooth
Ratchet
>Low
The rest
>Shit
Fat Princess
Spike

Related wasn't on the cover.

>Big and cartoony

The primary issue with art style is that they didn't unify it. The game looks like a newgrounds smash clone with random 3D models thrown in that are completely out of place. Best comparison(s) are those shitty Unreal Engine 4/Cry Engine Zelda rip offs where the developer just throws a cartoon Link into a hyper realistic environment.

>A game ripping off a game about iconic characters fighting shouldn't be about iconic characters

Damn that stinks wish Sony was up to footing the bill for them some more could had something great.

Jak?

Normies. Normies won't buy a crossover game if they don't recognize enough people.
If Crash Bandicoot or Solid Snake were on the cover, it would have gotten more normie sales, and people would have cared about it more in general.
Well, okay, this game came out about 3 years too late for Crash to have been relevant, but still, you get the point.

Realistically, I think that was the least of the game's problems.
Doesn't change the fact that a Sony cross-over doesn't feel complete without Crash and Spyro.

Let me guess, you mained Big Daddy?

How come this is the ONLY Smash Bros clone in existence people defend to death when you call it a Smash clone?

>read: shoved down your throat for

I see someone is still mad that Sony couldn't keep Spyro.

the stupid mechanic where you could only finish people off with the special moves, shoulda went 100% smash clone and did the knocking of the screen mechanic or at the very least health bars

Because it isn't, and because it would be a vastly better game if it was a smash clone.

Even if Crash and Spyro didn't make it Abe would have been a great choice as well I recall how nuts everyone went when Dan was confirmed for DLC if they had pushed for more of these classics we could have had a pretty good rosters.

I'd welcome health bars to be frank

Sonyggers not wanting to believe Sony stole from Nintendo again.

Case and point

Jak got buffed in the final patch so he had an actual hit confirms into his super, so he wasn't forced to build level 3 anymore.

Too bad every other low tier got the shaft.

I miss Pizzaburg

Because apart from the concept, it isn't. It tried too hard to be different, which just made it weird and unfun.

The shills thought they were getting sony street fighter, basically. There was a period of time when people were going nuts over how competitive street fighter players were helping consult with development.

the online in the beginning was honestly worse than Brawl's online, with numerous online only glitches, netcode being absolute bottom tier, a huge amount of online hit confirms, and more glitches.

It got better over time, but by that time, it was simply too late.

The 2 is fine, doing the 1 is a pain in the ass to kill someone with

Jak's movepool was shit. Supers aren't the only reason he was garbage
Real answers would be Heihachi, certain incarnations of Nariko, Spike, or Post nerf Toro

having to use supers to knock other players off the stage

Agreed.

But just look at Smash and look at how basically every attack is so clearly defined and recognizable. It's not like Sakurai just got lucky and came up with the idea of a solid Platformer/Fighting game, him and his team have spent a lot of time designing.

With that said I'm not a total fanboy of Sakurai's decisions. I also really feel that Smash Bros 4 can be a total clusterfuck in its standard mode fight settings, like the Assist Trophies are just annoying. Melee was just the right amount of chaos for my tastes.

>Heihachi
He can kick you nonstop
>Nariko
Best one 1 vs 1, not that good to solo against 2
>Spike
>Toro
Agreed

Nariko

She was actually fun to play as but her supers were incredibly useless except for her level 3

lvl 2 was improved in the final patch though

Are any of the games they essentially promoted with Battle Royale any good?
I'm mainly talking about Heavenly Sword, Gravity Rush, Starhawk, and Together Everywhere.

>He can kick you nonstop
Yeah that's true. But he has to actually get in before he starts doing stupid block pressure. His level 1 is shit, his level 3 is shit, and his level 2 is RNG. Heihachi's a pretty solid character but the fact that he can drop games because Kuma can fuck up means he's too inconsistent to do anything. He also gets fucking raped by characters like Sly and Sackboy who realistically have the escape options to never get hit by Kuma.
>Best one 1 vs 1, not that good to solo against 2
It really depends on the patch. I'd say that overall she's had more time as a good character than a bad one, but there were a few patches where they really fucked her up.

Nathan Drake had no business being in a game like this, hes just a guy with a gun that climbs

I guess that's why Heihachi can move and attack while Kuma do the same, also I think Kuma is the super 2 what last the longest

Yeah, but Sony doesn't really many current IP that are Iconic enough to lure in the normies

The problem is Kuma's AI is fucking retarded and has large amounts of cooldown on everything. Not to mention part of Heihachis design is that he has trouble getting in and can't play the ranged game. Making him less than ideal for chasing people down for Kuma.
I obviously haven't played this game in awhile, but from my experience, fighting good Heihachi mains in a 1v1 environment, Kuma fails to kill more than he manages to get double kills. I remember many times the Kuma AI would attack in the opposite direction, just stand there farting, or walk all the way to the opposite side of the stage for no apparent reason.

How would you improve a sequel?

>either go full Smash clone or try a different kind of fighter, maybe something like a more grounded Dissidia
>have a unified artstyle
>focus on melee characters, leave guys with guns for assists
>have a mix of iconic first parties (God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne), lesser known first parties (Folklore, Medievil, Heavenly Sword) and Sony faithful third parties (DMC, Yakuza, Tekken)

the name doesnt roll off the tongue like super smash bros

Shit-tier roster filled with literaly who characters and it was a bad smash bros clone gameplay wise.

The name reeks of insecurity, Smash didnt feel the need to force NINTENDO into the title

Stage hazard switch.

Same, even sometimes he can fall and never return (see the Uncharted plane stage)
You can lure him to fall, I did that many times, but it's 50/50 you die once or you don't.

>Fucking wasted in PSASBR because it didn't actually fix any stage
>Would've been GOAT in Sm4sh
I'm still salty

Folklore my man!

I think they should try again with a second game on PS4.

Fix/Improve/Remove on the things that didn't work from the first one, and this time having more games and characters to work with (I'm sure Crash has a stronger chance to be in now, with N-Sane Trilogy coming later this year), and have a dedicated team on it in general.

>Let's take our western PS3 lineup and make a party fighter based off of it
>Japanese characters? No one wants that

To be fair, the sony japanese studios were being little shits and refusing to hand over their characters.
Smart move on their part not wanting to be associated with this desu

There are some Japanese made characters in the game though.

>Implying guys like Ratchet, Jak, and Sly don't deserve to be in.

Also the most demanded characters are guys like Crash and Spyro and they're not Japanese.

>Why the hell are Nathan Drake and Big Daddy just standing there. What the hell is the Heavenly Sword bitch even doing there.
That's Sir Dan's 3, he uses that shield to kill everybody, if anyone is inside the green light, they will unable to roll or jump higher (Sackboy's trampoline, Kratos' wings, Donte's angel thing, etc) and die in a matter of seconds

No sequel to fix everything