Is the hate for this game a meme?

Is the hate for this game a meme?
Do you fags think you actually have to 101% it to get any value out of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/a_hat_in_time_developer_claims_donkey_kong_64_was_instrumental_in_killing_off_collection_platformers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I 100% the first half or so of the game and had a lot of fun. It's like drugs if you're ocd with collectathons... like hard to put down and constantly draining your energy by giving you something to grab or do every second.

I burned out at that point. It's pretty great.

>What, do you think you have to win races in this driving game to get any value out of it?

HE

HAS

I fucking love this game, i have 101% every time i replayed it and discovering some of it's glitches (like swimming throught shores/OoB clips or moonkick/skid jump/moontail) are fun to use when you're bored or want to try some shit.
But if you want a reason
nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/a_hat_in_time_developer_claims_donkey_kong_64_was_instrumental_in_killing_off_collection_platformers

NIGGERS

I was about to call you a rampant faggot, then I realized that this was one of the cases where you do have to 100% the game to actually fight the final boss.

>101%
I thought it was like 103%

Its not a bad game. But Rare's collectathon formula was clearly getting stale.

The final boss battle was pretty rad

>A Hat in Time dev
Why should I give the time of day to some vaporware peddler?

I enjoyed the game when I was younger. The collection bits did get too much at times, but the levels were still fun to play!

I remember helping my friend beat the Jack in the Box level when she got stuck on it, that boss was a pain to deal with.

Don't remind me, I got 101% but still couldn't beat K.Rool as a kid. That last part with Chunky is the worst too, which makes retries take forever.

>you do have to 100% the game to actually fight the final boss.
No you don't.

You've outed yourself as a tasteless faggot multiple times in one post, but I think you linking fucking A HAT IN TIME really says more than anything else.

Not really. You just need 100 golden bananas and the Nintendo and Rareware coins (and 15 banana medals).
Though getting all of the blueprints is advised for completing Hideout Helm.

You know I think this game would be a good game to do some Pannenkoek-like digging on. The game is very buggy so there's bound to be a lot of interesting details to notice about its programming.

Someone found an extra rainbow coin recently, and apparently there's more that people haven't found.

Is there somewhere with a codex of odd info about the game like that?

>The game is very buggy
It is?

Explain me why

you can swim under DK isle and walk underwater

Yes. It's especially obvious when one delves into N64 emulation since small variances in accuracy from the console tend to cause problems on games which are poorly coded. The game has been characterized by people in the emulation community as "barely crumpled together with duct tape and glue" and is thus very difficult for emudevs to get up and running accurately. You'll also note a lot of the bugs being used in any speed run of the game.

There's a crapload of glitches.
Out of Bounds, Swim throught walls/shores, higher jumps, tag barrel storage, hell, even a cutscene is the main source of speedruns and other glitches

Yes
The most prominent bugs are the ones that surface from too much shit on screen
>why?
Basically when the game would normally lag, all processes in the game speed up or simplified to compensate. This is why Banjo Tooie seems way laggier than DK 64 despite them having roughly the same hardware intensity.
The result of this is wonky physics and behaviors when the game is processing many things at once

And of course there's also your standard jank shit that comes from inexperienced devs, shit like most SM64 glitches

I find it interesting how even on official N64 emulators (i.e. Wii Virtual Console) there's a significant amount of variance there too. How is it that the N64 is so difficult to emulate, unofficially or otherwise? Alien technology?

Banjo-Kazooie is a superior game because it doesn't force me to go through the same world 5 times.

mechatheslag is a faggot

That's because once is more than enough for BK's bland world

Oh, you're talking about hat in time, i don't give a shit about that game, i linked that thing because he's says the shit most people say when shitting on DK64.

This is K. Rool's command room, only seen in a cutscene. You can get to to it by swimming through DK Isle.

How can you say Banjo-Kazooie is bland when defending DK64? Yeah they have decent atmosphere and all but the level design is just awful and tedious. There's no natural flow to it due to everything being segregated and there's random switches, pads, and bananas scattered around for different Kongs to artificially extend the game.

It was not well documented per se and the tech for 3D games at the time was a pioneering technology, which means nothing was really that standardized. PS1 for example had no z-buffer for instance even though that seems ridiculous today.

Also there were I think some kind of capability to use custom op codes which allowed devs to go beyond the generic functionality of the system and manipulate the hardware at a deeper level than through an API. Games which did that could be doing things completely unknown to those who made the system and documented what it could do. Factor5 games I think did this and perhaps Rare too.

It wasn't horrible. It was good. Flawed, but charming. It reminded me that Rare's misses could still be winners.

>Is the hate for this game a meme?

Even as a kid, I had a hard time enjoying it and always felt like it was missing something.

Now that I'm older I think I'm better equipped to translate that feeling into words. The level design was just really gated and bland for a sandbox collectathon, and was arguably a cheap mockery of all the design principles that made Banjo Kazooie such a solid game.

Collect and back track ad nausuem. Done.

they definitely got carried away with collectibles, it's the most infamous collecthaton

but I enjoyed the minigames to be honest familia, I also liked doing the arenas and beating enemies up

>Game stars apes/monkeys
>Starts off with a rap

Just a reminder you only need Banana Medals for 100% and not the regular bananas.

das jus rayciss

Good ol' Japan keeping it real

HE HAS NO STYLE
HE HAS NO GRACE
THIS KONG IS A
FUCKING DISGRACE

I hate how overly defensive DK64 fanboys get as if the game wasn't full of flaws.
>BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO COLLECT EVERYTHING
Still have a bunch of single-use Kong abilities (and guns being nothing more than glorified switch hitters)
The camera is wonky, the minigame barrels are too different from the main game mechanics and recycled too often

Also there's a surprisingly high amount of hitting switches and getting somewhere before a timer runs out

>Watermelon
>Guns
>Tiny's music is Jazz
>One of the weapons is a blowdart

They knew

rare is british

That's what I said.

I tried to replay this game a few months ago and found it an absolute fucking chore. I couldn't even finish it and just quit about halfway through.

I liked it a lot.

I never thought from that angle, damn

Also one kong has an afro during the DK rap

>thread posted five minutes after I banana-slamma'd the game in the secrets thread
if you can't handle the banter go back and tag in the kong that can

Problem with the game is that the character's movement speed is slow and jumping feels lethargic. The platforming isn't designed around fun jumps, but just as a slight break in trudging through bloated worlds. DK64 is a badly designed game that is only tolerable in the innocence of youth.

It was loved when it was out, I had issues with the framerate, there's literally no way I could go back and play this on an actual N64, emulating would be fine though.

i played it once when it was new, completed it and never played it since. it was nice for its time but i was blinded by RARE and their addiction to collectathons.

they should have sticked to the country formula and made a decent platformer instead of a banjo kazooie rippoff

ND essentially hacked the system to make Crash Bandicoot didn't they?

It's still one of the most memorable moments in a game to me.

>ginger kong
>has no grace

If I recall, the Reality Coprocessor (basically the N64's GPU) takes a lot of power to emulate correctly, so emulator devs take a lot of shortcuts with it.

It's okay, and it's not bad, but it definitely has some issues. Like separating the bananas into different colors when they all should have been one color and able to be picked up by any of the five Kongs.

Reusing Army Dillo and Dogadon again (but they're harder now and do some new moves) for major bosses is very lame, (DKC1 and DKCR also suffer from this. At least DKC2 was kind of creative about it).

Still alright as a game. If they ever did a remake, I'm sure they improve on things people didn't like.

>JUST
>need 100 (ONE HUNDRED) golden bananas
>and the Nintendo coins
>and Rareware coins
>(and 15 banana medals)
>JUST

Army 2 is pretty lame. He only has an extra hit so when he FINALLY changes his strategy you only need to hit him once.

Dogadon was cool though. yeah it's the same shit in the second phase but he puts you in a timer and there seems to be no real rhyme to how many beatings he'll take before the fight ends. it's great.

Platforming? What platforming?

Well, considering that's only half of the Golden Bananas and not even half of the medals, you really don't need EVERYTHING in the game to beat it.

You forgot four battle arena crowns.

And at least enough blue prints to get through Hideout Helm without exploding.

(earlier user)
Did I? My bad.
What are the crowns for again?

DK 64 was fantastic. Cutting edge graphics for consoles, top tier music, less golden bananas total you have to collect than Mario 64 (100/201 vs 70/120). No gameplay issues you would encounter on a normal run, only if you speedrun and actively broke the game would you ever find glitches.

You need at least four of them to open a door in Hideout Helm.

To open a door that leads you to the rare/n64 door.

If you don't have enough crowns by Hideout Helm (Considering they give you a freebie in the first world) you need to rethink your existence.

the different is that stars were end goals for levels, whereas golden bananas are a collectible

the game also gated boss fights behind collectibles, and moves behind coin collecting

Mario 64 was not a collecthaton, DK64 was

100 is greater than 70.

Crazy I know.

yea i know.

dk64 is definitely the lowest ranked n64 game i put a surprisingly large amount of time into as a kid.

can anyone actually articulate a game dk64 is better than in its genre on N64?

I'm hoping Retro is making a new 3D DK game that fixes all the problems this game had.

Loved it as a kid, as it was the first N64 game I ever got. That being said, I can still clearly see its many flaws, to the point where I haven't once replayed it to completion ever since, even though I've tried multiple times. Hopefully someday I'll be able to stomach the tedium and actually finish it again.

Well they already helped solidify why DK is the best 2D platformer. Maybe they can do it in 3D.

Did Earthworm Jim 3D have an N64 port?

What Retro should really do is either make another DKC to complete the new trilogy, or move on to another one of Nintendo's beloved yet neglected IPs

I believe so. There was definitely an Earthworm Jim game in 3d on the 64.

They already perfected 2D DK with Tropical Freeze. They should end the trilogy with a 3D game.

I couldn't get past first level as kid so I forced my mum too beat the whole game, can still remember when she bet him :)

Are the humaniod girl Kongs the result of human-ape breeding? Are they being studied in order to find the missing link? Are they seen as attractive to humans in that universe, or are they just as bad as real humapes? What do they mean for the evidence of evolution in Nintendo world?

Donkey Kong 64 wasn't instrumental, it was just the natural end result of excess and hubris. The start of the problem stemmed from Banjo-Tooie and the idea of "more bigger = more better".

The truth is out there, maybe

I don't like it, but I'd take its "big and too much junk to collect" level design philosophy over Banjo-Tooie's "big and holy shit this place is empty."

DK64 is shovelware.

Back up your assertion with facts.

Walk on flat terrain copy and pasted, back and forth, back and forth
Find pad
Press button on pad to play mini game
Repeat for hours

There is no ounce of thought in the game. Its just one big square with hallways thrown in where you do trivial things to see a counter get filled up. Like watching a loading bar complete. One of shittiest games ever made

This horseshit alone makes dk64 a bad game.

But Tooie came out after banjo.

Holy shit get good. Are you seriously implying Donkey Kong Arcade is bad?

git gud.

>Hey literal children, the target audience for this game, wanna see the cool final boss?
>beat dk arcade with one life using the jank for 2d n64 controller
>actually make that twice with the second time being harder, and every time you die sot through multiple loading screens and this animation of dk slowly pulling a lever instead of just letting you retry

Its garbage, game isnt challenging, its just tedious and annoying. Why is this shit mandatory?

You can use the d-pad to love retard. Thats what I did.

Besides all there is is move or jump so the n64 controller works fine.

Fucking children I swear.

>every time you die sot through multiple loading screens and this animation of dk slowly pulling a lever instead of just letting you retry
That part was undoubtedly bullshit. I'll agree with you on that.

The game became the point in history where collectathons cannot be fun being collectathons, the novelty was wearing off.

It was actually one of my favorite games back when I was a kid, although I never bothered to 100% it and was happy enough when I beat K. Rool. Probably helped that I had a Prima guide though.

Spyro already crossed tht line then sodomized it.

I can't remember if you have to kill every enemy in 2 or 3 (Besides thieves) but that was complete bullshit in the first.

Not him but Spyro is a lot more fast paced compared to DK64. Only Spyro 1 is kind of slow paced, compared to the 2nd and 3rd one in it's series.