Whatever happened to this thing?

Whatever happened to this thing?

valve pulled the plug when they saw the windows store wasn't competition

Solution in search of a problem, plus what said.

The cheapest ones are only marginally better than consoles in terms of performance, SteamOS is pretty useless for everything that isn't playing the few Linux-native PC games that are worth playing, and there's next to no possibility for upgrades, which means there's little reason to buy it over building a small form factor box yourself.

>Performance lower than consoles
>Can't be upgraded to reach high PC performance
>No exclusives
>No hardware optmization
What else?

>Performance lower than consoles
Only if you're buying the $350 model made from leftover laptop parts, it's entirely possible to get a strong one but it's about twice as much

Basically, Valve didn't bother trying to strongarm OEMs to sell at a loss to gain market share, then Windows Store flopped and they realized there was no point in bothering after all.

>people actually called that thing a console killer

A shame, really. I don't care much about the state of the console market, but a possible consequence I was hoping for was a rise in the number games developed with linux in mind. Oh well.

valve was under the illusion developers would make linux versions of games out of the goodness of their hearts instead of being heavily bribed with some of that sweet sticker and hat money.

>wanted to compete with consoles in the living room
>forgot that pc games need more than a mobile processor and a low end gpu
>forgot consoles were cheaper
I'm glad this shit died

False.

They were too expensive with Intel and nvidia hardware, and nvidia can no longer be trusted to not shit up their drivers. Valve has full time driver developers on staff now working on bringing the open source AMD drivers up to speed.

Thankfully there are enough Linux users playing games now that the pace of games coming out has really picked up. Steam just passed 3000 games for Linux, and the launch schedule for big AAA Linux games right now is pretty rapid.

all it is is garbage indie games

>tried to appeal to the console market
>literally did everything possible to not what the console audience wants

Just like PC it's dead.

Last week Disgaea 2 came to Linux the same time it came to Windows.
Yesterday Civilization 6 got Linux support.
Next week Hitman is getting Linux support.
Two weeks after that Dirt Rally gets Linux support.

This is pretty typical these days. The companies that port games to Linux seem to be doing good business.

>disgaea
Like I said, shitty games

Has anyone tried Steam Link/the Steam Controller? I'm considering getting one next time there's a sale.

I love the controller but it's not for everyone. Try it first if you can.

Pretty much the only games not coming to Linux these days are garbage AAA games.

>being this salty

Basically replaced by SteamLink
I'd get one if it let me use any controller I want

It's been more or less replaced by the Steam Link.

Using the video stream of a real computer is more effective than rendering on a shitbox.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear

It's a very effective setup--if you like the controller (not that you can't use a KB+M situation). I also enjoyed Moonlight on my RPi but really missed the Steam Controller when I did that.

Nah man, I'm playing all the games I ever want to play and without all the bullshit W10 wants to put me through.

I don't even boot back into Windows these days because there's nothing good there to play.

The modern OpenGL game library is impressive, though I still have too many Windope-only titles to play.

Honestly, I have fond memories of running City of Heroes via WINE and found its performance better than Windows.

It still hurts.

Now we have like 3 different projects to replace it... well, attempts to.

In what other game can I make a Fire Blaster who is also the resurrected Jefferson Davis?

NONE THAT'S WHERE

>most PC MASTER RACE folk put together computers themselves
>Steam Link ate out the bottom end

>when you right click -> Info
>find treasure

>most PC MASTER RACE folk put together computers themselves

Steam Machines are simply PCs, SteamOS is Free. You can if you want build your own system running it.

Its pretty clear where Valve are aiming with this, you can glimpse a bit of the future already with all the Raspberry Pi retro consoles that are kicking around. Another few years and single board PCs capable of running current games well will be in the sub $100 price point where it will be basically impossible for OEMs to put Windows on them because it will more that double the price.

The Steam Link is a temporary stop gap measure. Its not going to be long before that little box is itself a fully functional Steam Machine.

Steam Machines were basically a trick to get more developers porting their games to Linux by convincing them that there would be a market.

It worked, now combined with Steam Link, Valve can quietly kill the Steam Machines.

except steam os is fucking garbage and you can just use in home streaming from your main pc to a small pc

First-gen Steam Machines should be looked at as being like the early console prototypes that we normally never get to see but that leak out from time to time.

Valve has full time driver devs on staff now working on the open source RadV Vulkan driver for AMD hardware. There's basically no reason for them to do that based on the first-gen Steam Machines which were all Intel+Nvidia, and there's no benefit to anything outside of Linux gaming with it so it doesn't fit the "Valve has abandoned Linux" narrative either since driver devs aren't cheap and RadV is a Linux-only thing.

So the logical conclusion is that Valve are working on a second generation Steam Machine using AMD hardware, and it will probably be a cheap little box capable of driving VR.

Anyone remember big picture mode?

Valve will probably try again in the future, but this time with 1 spec.

I use it regularly

The logical conclusion is that they want Linux to be on par with Windows as far as driver support for modern GPUs goes.

Supporting Linux directly benefits Valve because Steam is the best way to get games on Linux currently, it's very likely that everybody who plays games on Linux has Steam installed.

It works pretty well.

Anything that kills the cancer that is Microsoft or reforms them is good.
Who am I kidding, they probably can't be reformed.

It's the best way to get games on every platform, other than piracy

It feels lighter than steam.

It pretty good, steam controller will take some getting used to. Playing the Portal 2 campaign will help you adjust. As for the steam link Ethernet is best, especially if others use your Internet.

linux will never ever be adopted by the majority, there will likely be another paid locked down OS that beats microsoft in the future but not a linux distro

Probably Ubuntu once Canonical finishes making everything proprietary

PC enthusiasts didn't want something so limited, people who wanted a plug n' play box found consoles to be a better investment

pc games literally consist of indie games and zombie survival clones so..

Who gives a shit about what the majority does? 10% marketshare would be enough to get the majority of publishers on the platform.

Anyway, the next OS to beat out microsoft is probably going to be an open source core with a locked down userland, ala Android.

(you)

if you're gonna use streaming, just use a steam link, it's cheaper than a small pc

Limited upgradability compared to a PC. I would never buy that shit.

I love the steam controller, but it took a while to get used to. I use the steamlink with a wireless connection and it works great.

>the launch schedule for big AAA Linux games right now is pretty rapid

There are plenty of AAA games not available for Linux sadly.

I think the steam link has kicked steam machines out of the spotlight desu

Steam Machines are PCs that have limited upgradability. Single board PCs might be able to eventually play games made today, but a single board PC will always be too weak to play the newest AAA games.