Fighting games tips

How do i git gud at fighting games? where should i start? do like bruce lee and train one kick a thousand times?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90
e-hentai.org/g/987890/7b4aaef9b2//spoiler]
e-hentai.org/g/987890/7b4aaef9b2/
reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/5ictzj/tips_for_new_xrd_players/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on what game you want to start with.

GG Xrd, but the basics of a fighting game do apply to all of them right?

i just wanna learn what should i do or look for in a fight

being autistic

Regardless of what people might say, you have no real need for online tutorials when starting out in Xrd because it gives you everything you need for a basic and intermediate level. Do the tutorial and actually pay attention during it.

Afterwards pick a character and do some basic challenges with the character to make sure you have your hitconfirms down, because even if Xrd is less combo-heavy than other anime fighters, you'll still get pathetic damage if you don't and that can get very discouraging. After that just practice those combos and play with people. Don't neglect one or the other because practice makes perfect, and you'll just get sloppy in the other area over time if you do.

Actually engage yourself in the community. With how dead Dustloop is that's not as easy as it was before, but join a character discord for the character that you like. If you need a link to them then just check the pinned tweet at @notBaf0 on Twitter. Whenever you encounter a problem in the game, try to first check if there is a challenge that teaches you how to deal with the situation. If there isn't, just ask one of the people in the discord and generally someone will have a better clue on how. This is a fighting game, meaning a game that literally requires another player, so you really need to get used to asking for advice and information from people.

One thing to always do when you feel like you have downtime or don't feel like playing is watching top players of your character. It will give you an idea of how things are supposed to look as you get better, and imitation is the best way to becoming good. Save your replays both that you win and lose so that you can see what you did wrong and what you did right. You don't need to think much while doing this, because most of it will become pretty obvious since you'll know yourself what you were thinking/doing, and it's just a matter of actually sitting down and watching it.

That's about it really.

wow, thanks user, i did check out the tutorial on gg, did some steps of it but totally forgot about it, ill check it again, i get my shit handed to me tho when i face my brother with sol, the fucker is all over the place and i dont seem to block right when im against him

Xrd is kind of a high level game, it's not particularly approachable in my opinion. I've heard some people say differently like "it's just fun to play online and do stuff whatevs" so if you like it you can probably find fun maybe.

Aside from the fact that not a lot of people play it online so you're only going to fight really good players, Guilty Gear as a game is heavily steered towards long-ish pressure strings with high/low/unblockable mixups, which are gameplay elements that new players don't really appreciate. The end result is that having no idea what you're doing and trying to play against an experienced millia or raven feels a lot like being forcefully held down and raped in the ass and you end up screaming DSP catchphrases because you can't do anything wow.

The best way to learn to is find someone who you can meet and play with in person who is willing to teach you. Fighting games are full of ideas that you will never discover just playing on your own, and a large part of being able to play well comes from really understanding what's going on in the game, the meaning of actions. I'll try to share some of these in next post.

just mash buttons and you will beat 90% of opponents

i get that, i did have fun in some matches online tho, but one time i got my ass handed to me so badly by a chipp player, that i just felt like going back to playing episode mode

I've just accepted that I am incapable of becoming good at them.
>Always lose at MK, SF, MvC, Injustice, SSB, you name it

At the least, I can play Smash bros since that game is enjoyable when everyone is shit at the game and not just one good person who mains Fox.

Buy a game and play it. No joke, you have to start somehwere. If you're serious about improving quickly you should try online, which means playing the most recent games in their various series.

I don't have any experience in western fighters but you can play games like obviously Street Fighter 5, King Of Fighters 14, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, and BlazBlue Central Fiction.

Street Fighter is Street Fighter. It also has some serious negative reception. KoF is ps4 exclusive and it's not bad. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are Arc System Works' games and have very good 2D and 2D imitating graphics, and are mechanically and story heavy. You can pick up and play any of them, you're guaranteed to find one you like.

If you buy a fighter, play it, and get extremely frustrated, try a different fighting game. They all have a lot of similarities but some minor differences in music or characters or other minute things each game offers can severely affect the experience for you. And instead of thinking you just hate the fighting genre you might fall in love with it because a game you didn't like the look of before sucked you in. Give several series a try if you really want to get into it.

practicing, playing with people close to your own skill level, analyzing decisions you make and why you do them, analyzing decision better players make and why they do them

It gets shat on plenty, but in all seriousness, Street Fighter V was made for scrubs like you and me. When you lose, there's a fairly reasonable chance it's your fault and you can somewhat easily learn what you did wrong and how to improve on your mistakes.

space and whiff

i've been watching some vids, it looks quite simple compared to other fighting games where you have to maintain a hugeass fucking combo, launching in midair and hitting on the floor and all that

I would say find someone of similar skill level to grow with. You can learn just as much from each other as you can from vets and tutorials.

Do all of tutorial, do all of mission mode. That's a lot of information right there in the game to start you out.

I'm not a great teacher but I'll try to put these ideas into some kind of digestible order

Step 1 of fighting games: have a plan

When you start a match, what is the first action you do, and WHY do you pick that action out of the multitudes available? What are you going to do after that? What do you think the other player is going to do? How do you plan to counter it? How is this going to allow you to win the match? You need to answer all of these questions between the time you see what character the opponent is playing and the time the first round starts. You need to have an idea of what people who play that character generally like to do, but also need to factor in that the person playing that character might be smarter then your average bear.

Every single action you take, even doing nothing, has a degree of risk and a potential reward, and winning generally comes down to minimizing your risk and maximizing your reward. Imagine you're playing rock paper scissors, but you can choose to throw early or throw late and change your hand at the last second reacting to what the other player threw. This is basically what a fighting game is - throwing a projectile is beaten by a jump in and negated by other projectile or blocking. Blocking wins against attacks but loses to throws/unblockables/mixups, using normal attacks can beat or be beaten by other normals or specials depending on your spacing and timing.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

This is a good video to watch to learn about spacing and how to beat normals.

i get the concept of "mindgames" against your opponent, but execution fucks me over, how can i manage to do what i want better you know? i guess its only with practice, and losing a lot

Guilty Gear is absolutely the best fighting game I could think of to start out with. I'm fucking shit at fighting games, and I've played quite a few. GG is great with the tutorial, but honestly the mass number of characters that are all different will teach you a ton about fighting games.

What I did was all the tutorials, found a character I liked, then did the special missions for that character until I stopped being able to do them. Then I took that into mission mode and practice just a single combo over and over again. Then I would repeat with a new combo, practicing it. Then I would add them together.

That's not the only way to do it though.
My friend instead played EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER through mission mode, learning the basics of the game. Barely touched the tutorials, never did mission specials. This way he knew the capabilities of every character.
Because of that, he was immediately better than me, but lost after I practiced enough hours in a single character.

btw, is that picture cute? Source?

Fighting games are mostly about tactical decision making. For every situation youll find yourself, you have to make a conscious decision to come out victor. To properly be able to do this you have to;
-know all of your options
-know what all of your options are good at and everything else they can do
-know all of your opponent's options
-know how to exploit all of your opponent's options' weaknesses

A good way to get started is by thinking of a playstyle/strategy youll enjoy then pick a chara that fits the bill. From there learn all of the basic system mechanics and common situations youll find yourself. As you fight online, keep note of situations your having trouble with then go in training mode and apply your options to the situation.

Next up is learning about pressure strings, resets, and mixups. Webm related is a two-reset combo in SFV I just happen to have on my desktop, you can see that the Urien is on the right side of the screen and the Ken player is likely to be holding down back left to try and block if the Urien were to drop the combo. Because they're holding down left, when the Urien suddenly switches to the left side of the screen, suddenly they're holding forward instead of back, so they don't block the crouching elbow which starts a whole new combo that isn't being scaled by the previous damage, so you're literally getting two combos for the price of one. At the end of that, the Urien makes like he's going to go for the side switch again, and if the Ken player is smart he'll recognize that and be like "I seen that shit before, this time I'll block the right way" but instead gets thrown and stunned.

This kind of sequence you will see a LOT in guilty gear. It's basically the foundation of anime fighting games. Characters like Millia and Raven knock you down in the corner, then throw out a fireball that stays on the screen for some time and makes you block, meanwhile they either do a Dust attack which must be blocked high, or a crouching attack which must be blocked low, or an instant air dash which must also be blocked high, or they wait until a few frames after the fireball goes away and throw you. If any of those land, they end the combo with another knockdown, and they get to do the same thing again and you have to predict/react to how they're going to change it up in order to successfully block and get out of there.

What kind of controller are you using? Having a really good quality d-pad is important. I use an arcade stick myself and I like it because I'm used to it but performing combos like pic related is actually really difficult because of the motions required, which would be relatively easy with a d-pad. Whatever you do don't use a controller stick.

Yep. Mind games and tactics are whatever, you'll learn those obviously.
But yes. Learn them in tutorial, muscle memory in training mode, and finally practice in mission mode. When you start to get it down in a slightly stressful situation, fight a real opponent.
I had to do this with individual strategies and combos, but if you're good you can apply a bunch.

If you're on the internet asking you dont wanna improve there is no easy tip to understand you should and would be in training mode if you wanted to get better.Stick with League its for you.

im enjoying it throughly, and i'll do the tutorials for it like you guys told so.
here user, for you
e-hentai.org/g/987890/7b4aaef9b2//spoiler]
the usual ps4 controller, i thought about getting a stick, but its kinda expensive for me now, so ill git gud with what i have
i went for a roll on the online mode, managed to win some and get ass raped on other matches, and its being fun

Do the tutorial again, and try to start committing the game system and mechanics to memory. Then dive into the Mission Mode. This is going to teach you a LOT of INCREDIBLY useful stuff and it's also going to give you a lot of matchup specifics.

I'm pretty new to fighting games and have gotten okay with DOA 5.

I'm thinking of getting Street Fighter V since it's accessible for new comers and is one of the most popular fighting games right now.

Should I do it? Or should I go somewhere else?

wow i fucked up
here
e-hentai.org/g/987890/7b4aaef9b2/

Yeah it'll always have players because it's legacy but the game has it's share of issues. That you may or may not care about depending how long/involved you are with fighting games.

I like SFV a lot. Other people say it's trash. It definitely has some issues with design and development.

SFV is that friend that you sometimes enjoy hanging out with but they keep shitting their pants in public

Go somewhere else. Capcom has absolutely no idea what they're doing anymore, and this has never been as apparent as it is with SFV. If you insist on using SF to learn fighting games that's fine, but pick just about any other game from the franchise to do it with. If you're a complete FG beginner, there's nothing wrong with diving into any one of the SFII flavors and learning the fundamentals.

If you go a different route, there's always Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Skullgirls. All of them are going to teach you the basics.

reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/5ictzj/tips_for_new_xrd_players/

Hey
Learn about 3 bread and butter combos, then just play against people
There is not, and never will be, a substitute for experience

>it's not just a picture
fuck yes. Thanks.

how do I get gud in smash 4?

This. All of this.

Also, "ironic funposting" aside, Reddit's /r/Kappa board is a decent resource to learn from, and a decent community to gauge FGC culture. If you started your Sup Forums days on Sup Forums, you'll feel right at home.

THICC

you might wanna google arbuzbudesh, there isnt only one :^)

Kappa is the Sup Forums away from Sup Forums

>did you get those on fish market

go to tournaments and play people
there's not much to learn about the game outside of basic strings and character specific things, so go out and play a whole lot and get real good real fast

Watch a high level player play your main.
Play at locals like a fiend.
Play online but not for glory.
Smash4 isn't stupidly execution save for some characters so even anthers ladder is good for getting good real quick.

Its alot more zoning focused since combos are harder and blast zones are further. Also its made more shallow because its model based hitboxes. So you poke with stationary aerials and, projectiles, whiff punishments with recovery aerials, counter poking with approaching aerial, and avoiding projectiles. If someone shields its a mixup between committing to grab and reacting to a roll. The mind gamd being when they attack oos trying to catch your hesitation

Thanks, I aint a big fan of smash, so I wondered how to play it good