>industrial complex
>sewers
>poison swamps

>sewers with invisible enemies

>underwater levels

>vaccum levels

Ah so the depths and farron keep.

I agree, OP.

Those are all in DKC and none of them are bad except maybe the DKC3 sewer bobsled level

Ice levels and shitty ice physics.

The oil facility in MGSV was the closest to an interesting/classic level design for a MGS game

Agree on the other two. Underwater is also shit (I remember missing the hydrojets in MML2. Slow as fuck shit) and I would also throw spider/ant nest levels. Fuck that

Shit taste, OP. It's been scientifically proven that the only, and I mean ONLY, level archetype that is always awful is underwater.

>Sky level with no ground

What, we move to a fucking gas planet?

Ice levels are good when they're about building and maintaining momentum, rather than trying to slide to a stop for precision platforming.

>Novistadors in RE4

>level where you must run away from an OP enemy and then you fight him

Donald Duck game was the worst offender.

This was exactly what was on my mind.

there are exceptions of course but most of the time the sewers suck major dick.

STALKER is literally just these for the entire game and its fucking great
shit taste

Rail-shooter vehicle/turret level

That fucking forest/desert where spacetime is warped and going right twice takes you back to the entrance.

Water levels. Even the best ones are lame. Prove me wrong

Oh ho ho

>spider/ant nest levels
what games? i don't remember coming across this

>toenail grazes swamp water
>take damage + poison status

>minigame with completely different controls in an action game level

why does platinum keep doing this

Desert levels

So fucking boring zzzzz

Why do people associate swamps with poison? They're probably cleaner than most rivers in populated areas.

its a level trope. If makes less sense if a swamp in a video game was not toxic. the only game i think did this was re5

>industrial complex
No, industrial plant levels can be fucking glorious. Cold Steel or whatever its name was in Max Payne is a great example, so is the Blanco factory in Kingpin.

>sewers
Kind of, yes. Making a good and interesting sewer is very tricky, and it's my least favorite thing to do when designing levels. The sewers in Silent Hill 1 are pretty cool overall, even though they're not the best part of the game by any stretch.

>poison swamps
Poison swamps are fine as long as you have ways to avoid being poisoned. They make for really cool locations but often suffer from bad design.

kamiya loves that shit because he grew up on arcades and founded the studio on that mentality

Quake's vacuum pipe level was cool.

>there is 1 (one) item that prevents terrain damage
>it's fucking useless because you have a party of four and the group healing is more cost-effective.

>4 dimensional levels
just stop.

>Caves

Sometimes they're lazy shit (Esoecially in rpgs) but they're sometimes cool.

I really liked that Underground Hoodlum Cave/Base thing from Rayman 3.

Underwater exploration is cool, but whole levels with nothing but that can get irritating.

undewater
fuck underwater

the only good swamp level

You're joking, right?

Any level with a long vertical climb and no quick way back up

I don't like levels where there are portals that teleport you around rather than traditional linear level design.
See: Dragon Age Origins, the Fade

>industrial complex
>that solo mission in Rainbow Six Vegas 2 where you're in an oil refinery

Teleporters is perhaps one of the laziest way to connect a level. They can be used very well when partnered with normal level connections, but if you use them exclusively as a means of linking level areas that means your level design blows.