How much butthurt did the Wind Waker graphics cause back in 2002?

How much butthurt did the Wind Waker graphics cause back in 2002?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7riCXrDxY
youtu.be/xCEDlpaUXVE
youtube.com/watch?v=VE2Dc1sx71U
youtu.be/gpUZXcV--Pw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a bit? idk,who fucking cares.

Honestly it's the only visually good looking Zelda game imo. I've been wanting to try it.

Zero. The cartoony cel-shaded graphics were and still are very novel and pleasant to look at

people were puss after viewing that one zelda video of Ganon and link fighting

In terms of wider audience, a ton. But this was mostly because previously Nintendo had shown a darker, more realistic Zelda tech demo at Spaceworld/TGS and everyone went crazy over it and then we got Wind Waker.

Astronomical. Back then the gaming media was still mostly focused on physical magazines. A lot of people felt cheated after seeing the OoT style Spaceworld demo. Plus the first trailer WAS rather kiddy with a Dreamworks face Link and physical comedy. There was nothing to give the impression that the game had some fairly dark undertones.

it was legit shocking when Nintendo played the reveal trailer

some immediately liked it, others hated it and thought it was the wrong direction for the series, others eventually warmed up to it

I was working in a game store when it came out, and at least one customer refused to play it because it looked too childish to him, and one little girl said she thought young Link from OOT was cuter than toon link

That was about all the real world customer interactions I had about the game

It was basically Federation Force

This was the first trailer we saw

youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7riCXrDxY

Nintendo's response to that was to shout out "you weren't supposed to see that!" like they were embarrassed by it.

they caused quite a bit of with me at the time because I was a teenager. Over time, the game's aged like wine for me though. Definitely my favorite visual style in the series.

youtu.be/xCEDlpaUXVE

It didn't. It was just a few children who threw a tantrum about it. If you look on the wiki page there's a site that supposedly collected pages about the bashing, and it's only a few.

Everyone was for it. The game was the most preordered on earth at the time, and I still remember being in Fifth Grade and going to my school's yearly book store, and seeing a magazine with the game boldly emblazoned over the cover. I don't remember what mag, but I'm pretty sure it was too thicc to be Nintendo Power.

probably the biggest console war game event in history. lots of blood was shed online. nowadays everything is relatively subdued.

it looks fantastic though, better than any other game in 2001

Too bad everything graphically in that is grimdark. I legit would have gotten a switch if BotW had bright colors and if Mario was a launch title.

youtube.com/watch?v=VE2Dc1sx71U

This video says it all

WW is shit

>Too bad everything graphically in that is grimdark.
are you blind or something

>Americans start cheering and clapping at some pre-rendered dark colours like trained monkeys
embarrassing people

Every color is fucking dull besides that blue shirt Link has. The green grass is dull as fuck, the dirt is obviously dull as fuck looking, all the colors are washed the fuck out.

I find it really funny that people were mad because Wind Waker didn't look like pic related and now 15 years later Wind Waker looks about a thousand times better.

Stop making fun of our culture

hahahah it looks so fucking bad, realism fags btfo

>this is "colorful"

Weren't you fags the same ones bitching about all the dingy colors in the 7th gen?

Not really? They both look like early era Gamecube games. Just one has an art style like OoT and the other has an art style where everyone's a cat eyed midget or a gorilla.

>Went to pre-order Wind Waker at Toys-R-Us because you got OoT Master Quest for free when you pre-ordered.
>Middle aged woman in front of me is also pre-ordering Wind Waker
>Clerk asks her if she likes Zelda games.
>"Oh yes, I love Zelda. I've played all her adventures!"
>"her"
>Spend whole car ride home wondering how you can play at the very least Ocarina of Time and not grasp how Zelda is the princess.

m8 it's the stream, watch the higher quality ones, it has bright colours like Wind Waker

if you hate america so much then stop using a website hosted in america that was created by an american

People were literally expecting something as edgy as DmC with Zelda and where spamming how Sony should buy it and give him a black tunic or some shit.

A whole fucking lot. Everybody vocal was shitting on Wind Waker's looks and the childish tone set by the cartoonish antics.

And then some people bought the game and were totally justified when it was also a shitty game with awful mechanics, stupid sailing, lamest combat and a linear yet backtracking-heavy progression, packed with the worst god damn things to happen to the series like fucking amping up Tingle tenfold

I'll do what I want, you obese clapping circumcised loser

your actions don't match your words

>it's the stream

Boy I can't wait when the review embargo is lifted and Gamespot and all those places release their video reviews and then you'll bitch that it's youtube quality and just keep moving the goalpost. Streams don't take color out of games, toddler.

no way, Wind Waker is easily the best looking Gamecube game

It does, though, since Nintendo's capture tech sucks

Watch the high bitrate videos by DF

Reminder that when EGM did an April Fools Joke saying that Nintendo was remaking Wind Waker with Twilight Princess graphics, they actually got a shit ton of letters from people who were pissed off it wasn't real.

I do remember a lot of people shitting on the cel shaded graphics as lazy back then. Kinda funny when today the consensus seems to be that the art style still holds up.

youtu.be/gpUZXcV--Pw
looks pretty colourful in this one

About the same that BotW's graphics are causing on Sup Forums right now

Majora's Shit already lowered everyone's expectations, as did the Gamecube with its "amazing" lineup of Luigi's Cash-In, Not 2D Metroid and and bunch of shit nobody cared about.

Melee poured fuel on the fire because it had Zelda characters and stages that actually looked good instead of this Disney shit. And everyone pretending it "looks good" has been proven wrong with the massive failure of the DS games and far more successful return to form on consoles.

The thumbnail looks like he's getting buttraped by the creature

Tons of people hated it. With time though people came around and it isn't disliked nowadays. But back on first appearance tons of people hated it.

Thought it was just me lmao

hahah do you even like video games bro

I remember more people hated it when it first came out than people hated Majoras Mask when it first came out.
I don't remember why Majoras Mask got a lot of hate when it came out though.

I was there when the reveal happened.

It was a fucking lot of anal ravaging that day.

Jesus I hate the open world meme for this exact reason. Look how fucking empty and lifeless that world is. Open world is so rarely done well.

The uproar over Wind Waker graphics was a good example of how fanboys are clueless dipshits and developers shouldn't really listen to them much

I played it for the first time with WW HD two years ago, mostly because I needed something to play on the Wii U but I absolutely enjoyed it. I personally liked it better than OoT even if it was my first Zelda game.

not necessarily. wind waker was the first time i remember a nintendo series getting "kiddier" so to speak. how do you know its success didn't inspire the road that nintendo eventually took with the Wii?

lol

If you went outside, you'd realise most of the real world is empty too

Multiple reasons

>required Expansion Pack, a $20 extra piece to play
>Time limit system added duress to players
>"Link's, uh, in an alternate dimension! That's why everyone is a copy pasted model from OoT! Just go with it, please!"

it didn't, because the next Zelda was Twilight Princess which was a Nintendo attempt at being grimdark (lol)

I hated the change back then and I still think its design is the weakest of all the console games.

Literally Zelda for babies with cut content.

>Skyward Sword
BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY

>grimdark
You're really not using that word properly

It's no longer American :')

But it feels perfectly natural? If you were playing a platformer where a level like this you'd have reason to complain, but here you're exploring the wilderness, having the world filled to the brim with stuff would be tacky and not have the feeling it's aiming for.

anyone who thinks the worst 3D Zelda is anything other Skyward Sword is a fool and their opinion is worthless

first post best fucking post

what a shitty thread

I cannot begin to describe how angry I was.

Don't know why you are complaining Hyrule field, termina, WW, a Hyrule field (TP) pretty much had nothing in between point a to point b

>Streams don't take color out of games, toddler.
That's something that streams CAN actually do you twat. Bad / poorly configured capture cards can totally give you a washed out, contrast-lacking image

i remember that everywhere people were angry because the graphics looked so childish and out of place for a zelda game.
when the game released everyone was silent and heralded it as the new coming of jesus christ.

but all Zelda games are childish lel

I still don't like it.

nice trees, LOSER

Zelda games were for everyone

Wind Waker was childish.

It looks nice but gameplay wise it's honestly almost everything wrong with post-N64 Zelda with the exception being that it doesn't handhold as much as TP and SS.

yeah but that was the gamecube era where nintendo had some really good shit on the gamecube.
also zelda games where for everyone basically. but oot and mm particularly had some really fucking dark elements to it if you think about it. you go on a genocidal rampage and kill everything in sight dead people and supernatural beings are everywhere.

never saw an adult playing a Zelda game until the 2010s when the millennial generation grew up desu

It hand holds you, it's just less overt about it. Talkboat tells you where to go every step of the way, and you can't even sail your own path until Tower of the Gods.

A little less than three weeks now, I absolutely can not wait for this to be released.

such as?

Yeah holy cow this is waaaay too cartoony.

Phantom Hourglass was the fourth-best selling Zelda of all time.

are you still anally ravaged by triforce shards/sailing stuff?

Part of the backlash to Wind Waker's art style was due to the "kiddie image" that was haunting Nintendo so much in that time. Sega had brought it up in the 90s, but it took until the GameCube for it to really take effect. Zelda was seen as one of Nintendo's more "adult" franchises like Metroid, compared to Mario, Kirby, and Pokémon, so the GameCube Zelda was expected to be the sign that "Nintendo can make mature games too!". Instead they make it the exact opposite of that and it only hurt the console's reputation more. Nowadays, people find Wind Waker to be a better and more imaginative game than Twilight Princess, but you have to remember the context of the era. "Mature games for mature gamers such as myself!" was the mindset that pervaded consumers.

Linear dungeon layout even by 3D Zelda standards; it doesn't even try to hide this, combat felt nice (at first) but the enemies and their damage was a step backwards, overworld was padded.

100% false.

You can't sail where you want to go until immediately after the Forbidden Forest, at which point you've made exactly two sailing trips, and only one since owning the Wind Waker. So it's quite early on.

You can do whatever the fuck you want at that point though.

I think it's also possible to encounter a Giant Squid while sailing south from Dragonroost to Forest Haven that can spit you out into map squares you aren't supposed to be able to visit, but that may have been fixed in the HD version.

that's just not true

a lot of people wanted ocarina of time 2

I've played them both decently and there really isn't much difference in difficulty between OOT and WW

recently*

The generation that grew up on 2D Zelda played and enjoyed Ocarina at least. That game was hyped for its time. There was nothing overtly childish about most of the pre-WW games. OOT was actually pretty edgy once Link became an adult. I couldn't see today's Nintendo doing Bottom of the Well. And that's the direction people expected the series to take after Ocarina, but bigger, better and more fleshed out. To many WW was a slap in the face and the end of those speculations.

It's sad too because they're cherrypicking and basically saying graphics make a game. It looks perfectly fine when seeing gameplay footage and I'm fine if the graphics aren't the best in the world with the amount of freedom the game gives you to explore.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

The series when to sell 2.4mil as oppose to Ocarina of Time that sold 7mil.

You. Fucking. Tell me

I still love Wind Waker, but I still think is still one of the most stupid decisions Nintendo has done in the industry

that was because nobody bought a Gamecube

Ocarina isn't much harder but enemies can't be locked into their recovery animation and you can't mash b to win. They also did more than one heart of damage, very few enemies in WW hardly did even that. It's ridiculous that they do so little damage in Wind Waker considering how trivial they are. It should punish mistakes more severely to compensate.

The Game Cube had a strong start, and the N64 only had 10mil over the GC soon, nice try through.

Wind Waker was a commercial failure.

It was a massive deal. Fucking everybody complained despite getting exactly what they want.

>LttP
>This is great! I want more of this

>OoT comes out, is just LttP in 3D
>Why can't this game series be mature

>MM comes out, reuses all of OoT's assets while having a darker story
>Wow what is this rehash shit? Why isn't this series more original? Why is it so grimdark?

>WW comes out, uses completely original assets and is very light and colorful
>WOW WHAT IS THIS BABY CARTOON SHIT? WHERE IS THE ZELDA I USED TO KNOW

>TP comes out, goes back to being more mature and is basically OoT again
>Wow nintendo soooo original. What happened to the open world and all the colors?!

>SS comes out, map is much bigger and art is very colorful
>Literally worst game ive ever played why is this world so big and empty

Zelda fans constantly get exactly what they want and complain every fucking time.

How long have you been dreaming up that delusion?

Imagine how taxing the great sea would have been without the shortcuts that cel shading provided.

This. Wind Waker was an embarrassment to the Zelda IP and really distanced long time fans of the series that grew up on previous titles and expected the series to mature along with them, which it pretty much had right up until that point.

It's just an early example of Nintendo being out of touch.

it was the most pre-ordered game of all time

I pretty much abandoned Nintendo when this sesame street crap was first revealed. Never looked back.

Look what it's preorder bonus was.