>BUILD-
>INSUFFICIENT FUNDS
>RTS thread HAS BEEN ACTIVATED

what are some fun RTS games that aged well and have comfy base building

youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc

Other urls found in this thread:

cncnet.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been playing AoE2 HD recently, just against AI because my internet's fucked.
>Normal too easy
>Moderate too hard

Also StarCraft, may be fun as fuck but I'm starting to think it hasn't aged too well.

>tfw no RA2 torrent that includes the videos

Age of mythology is kinda funny. Also bought recently humble bundle with homeworld remastered it's also really nice I must say

get gog version of startopia it is a mixture of rts and management

My Top 5 are : Warcraft 3
Age of Mythology
Rise of Nations
Age of Empire 2
Empire Earth

With these 5, you should have fun for a while

AoE2
Stronghold: Crusader
Caesar 3 if that counts

I'd torrent for you but i can't figure out how to make a working one...

If only we had the source code we could fix all the technical issues

Been playing openRA with friends recently

You can get ra2 in this whole c&c collection on origin, it's really cheap at the moment

>Rise of Nations

my nigga

>Empire Earth
Somehow i managed to install it from disk but then it just crashes on startup, fixed that and now it crashes when i try to start a game.

>openRA

>comfy basebuilding
nothing better than ANNO 1404

UNABLE TO COMPLY BUILDING IN PROGRESS
ON HOLD
UNIT READY
UNIT PREPARED

How do I play RA2 on windows 10? Installation always give me an error whether its by torrent or CD.

You don't say? Shame it has to be through origin...
RIP in pieces

go here and download their client and install that over the game, it fixes alot of issues
cncnet.org/
dunno if it works on botnet, i'm on lessnet 8.1

I just started SW Empire at war. On the waiting list has supreme commander,grey goo and tom clancy endwar.

look up OpenRA

>always the same games

I want to play something new, but something still like these games. classic RTS I guess

What the hell is that building next to cloning device?

"muffled request for fire support in the distance"

That's not RA.

It's the Tech center from the official skins.

>Age of Mythology
What a refreshing post.

RTS is going to stay a niche almost dead genre forever unless the following are adressed:

-Unit management needs to be mouse-based instead of hotkey-based

-Rushing needs to be practically impossible

-Individual unit abilities need to be either nonexistent or limited to 1 or 2 hero units, or very easily usable as a group, keeping in mind the mouse only unit selection previously mentioned

If you want this genre to ever start being not-dead, you need to make an RTS that does these 3 things.

>THEY'LL NEVER GET PAST THIS SHIP

Battle lab

you are viewing RTS from the point of a competitive esports focused discipline, aka, faggotry.

any combat in anno series?

No I'm not. My post specifically adressed things which keep casuals out of the genre. I don't give a fuck about esports.

YOU CANT KILL THE MESSIAH!

all of these things only apply if you are competing against other players in multiplayer.
you can play sc/wc/c&c single player without hotkeys whatsoever, same with unit abilities and rushing is either a scripted event or non-factor in AI games.

Casuals will obviously want to play against other people, even if they don't want to compete on the world stage with cloud9 or TSM or whoever.

never played a single RTS with hotkeys nor I will

seems like a perfectly faggoty way to kill all the fun

Age of Empire 3 and Stronghold crusader fa m

I've seen your posts before and you're a retarded faggot. "mouse based" already exists and you shouldn't be playing computer games if you can't handle basic things like hotkeys. Modern RTS standardize hotkeys across things like abilities anyways.

you can't make a multiplayer focused rts without going into esports cancer territory. We don't need another multiplayer focused rts, this area is already covered well enough, we need more single player focused games, with long campaigns and good AI skirmishes

>-Unit management needs to be mouse-based instead of hotkey-based
Really only an issue online and i dunno about you or most people but i've always primarily played RTS by myself vs AI. This is however a preferences and not something you actually need to do, to win or play the game.

>-Rushing needs to be practically impossible
Rushing is impossible if you know how to counter it, if you're good at the game and understand it, you should be able to counter anything.

>-Individual unit abilities need to be either nonexistent or limited to 1 or 2 hero units, or very easily usable as a group, keeping in mind the mouse only unit selection previously mentioned
I agree that too much micro-management can be a bad thing but games like COH have showed that it's very possible to have a game around that and having it work.

EA already did.

Maybe based is the wrong word. Mouse-focused is better wording.

Red Alert 2
Starcraft 1
Age of Empires 2
Supreme Commander
Homeworld

Talking about...
>good AI skirmishes
Has anybody else ever been bothered that in the old CNC games, the AI would never, ever expand to a second base?

This is largely due to the age of the game and the limitations of the engine, unfortunately modding this in, doesn't seem possible.
Would be nice if we had the source-code or an open-source version of the game, unfortunately all we have is openRA, which is a mod.

They should make a comfy RTS, where you can just build and expand a comfy town, with less focus on war but still potential war.

;-;7

You can't spell death without EA

Black & White 2 is basically that, except it doesn't have a skirmish mode and the AI is utterly stupid.
I loved just building in that game.

I tried to download that game recently but ended up getting full season of Blacked™ instead.

Also you need to mess with CD-burning because citizens wont age or die.

You can see that I am a filthy pirate, I've downloaded Age of Mythology (no chinks edition) cracked by RLD. Here is the thing, framerate is ok, but when I move my cursor to the buttons, it takes 10 seconds to react. What's the matter?

think i just ripped my dvd to my pc and used that

Deceased
Bereavement
At peace
Reaped

I..

Reminder to play Renegade X

It's really good, like original renegade BUT... i really wish they did more with it than just redoing the whole multiplayer part, would be cool if they remade the single player campaign too and well added the ability to build buildings and such.
It feels like it has potential but lacks direction i guess.

>tfw you play rts' against the ai to pretend you have friends
>tfw you're still not good enough to play
I don't want to do fast paced skirmishes I want to build up big armies and watch them battle

Soulsotrm was the best WH40K strategy.

Every faction, no silly plot but constant carnage, no linear campaign but huge sandbox battlefield.
And faggots complained because of some minor lore hiccups and hammy voice acting ...

They did. Renegade X: Black Dawn.

>tfw no new 2.5d rtses

Total Annihilation, SpringRTS.

Also HW for non-basebuilding comfiness.

Anyone know how to get Star Wars Empire at War working on LAN?

>implying Kane stays dead
That's what NOD wants you to think.

Cataclysm > Homeworld 2.

>playan RTS skirmishes while watching ww2 documentaries on the second screen

can one even get more comfy

That's not the actual campaign from the original game, that's a new campaign.

an RTs thred? on MY v?

try GameRanger or hamachi or some other free vpn software
GameRanger might be your best bet

Stand aside, best RTS coming through !

>dem early Sol missions
>dem engine
>dem interesting story

Makes me furious that we will never see Nexus 2 :

I was hoping I wouldn't have to use those if I connected the computers right to the router

When did you realize Hitler was the good guy?

Glorious

Try to search for a community patch online or.. you know... get the game on steam?

Obligatory why don't you play SupCom FAF?

my pc can't run it smoothly when shit gets real.

too hectic to warrant any actual tactics.

tired of shitters leaving the game 10 minutes in.

>Warcraft 3
>compfy base building
>good

Majesty+expansion is simply amazing.

psst; warcraft 3 was shit after the initial Orc campaign.

BUT
I'M
JUST
A
GNOOoome

I'M DONE FOR
I'M MMMELTIIIIIIIIIIING
DAUROS HAS SPARED YOU... FOR NOW
Aaaand RUNRUNRUNRUN

Tax Collector~
WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB
Aaaagh! [Muffled taxes spilling]

Every fucking line's been burned into my brain, way more than any other game.
And the cheat codes.
>growup repeatedly for lvl 100 Superwizards

Has legion redeemed PA:Titans like so many claim?
Do you like UAW:EA?
because its too complicated for me primitive brain

shame cause I want to enjoy RTS but am too dumb

Holy fuck. Reinstalling right now. Exactly what I'm in the mood for.

>The Wolf with enough room to build an actually base and defense it
Glorious.

>Has legion redeemed PA:Titans like so many claim?
No, they just added it back into the main game so they could take that page down on Steam, essentially deleting all the negative reviews.

How the hell do people play AoE II online? It lags like shit for me and my buds

Retard alert

WC3 is the pinnacle of RTS, it was the last good game Blizzard made and probably the last good RTS made in general.

HD or old version? Try GameRanger for old version

make the most complex possible rts combat system involving only an infantry, vehicle and air unit

If someone has a bad computer in the match it'll lag like that.Unless you are playing 500 pop 4v4 kinda thing.

>Empire Earth with the expansions

MY FUCKING NIGGER

We tried HD, yeah, both have good PCs but there is a ~1-2s delay before each action. I guess we should try GameRanger

>WC3 was the pinnacle.

Whatever you say, user. It's not like Arthas isn't the most shoehorned plot in videogame history. Also it started the collect 500 terrazine bullshit that came later.

>nobody played you
>those who did forgot
>feelsbad

>seeing your high-level Wizard walk into the aggro range of those Phantom fuckers (or any monster with high resistance)

>cheat codes
Thank you, I now know a valid strategy to beat that timed mission with funeral hills that fuck your city up every time you destroy one of them.

GOG release when? ;_;

Legion is a mod, user. Both pages are still up

How come nobody ever talks about this in RTS threads but will always receive very high praise in its own threads?

What went wrong?

My nigga. Still playing Warcraft 3 and Age of Empire/Mythology monthly with high school friends from over a decade ago.

These games have aged wonderfully.

complexity =/= quality
games need balance

Did anyone else fucking DESPISE nuclear weapons in C&C games?

C&C was rts's atlas, and the shutdown of westwood seemed to negatively impact blizztard

Nothing much to say, it's solid and very fun but it's kinda hard to talk about it when it's lotr and most of the story context and such are lost to me, dunno how to describe it.

I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, defenses in C&C games are obscenely powerful, so it made turtles really tough to break. Defenses also ensured that the first person to attack would usually lose, since then the defender could go offense after the other lost their army.

However, they further exacerbated the issue by forcing someone to make a move, thus making the first person to make one essentially the winner.

The game felt super floaty and kind of slow to me, but in retrospect that might've just been my terribad computer.

Is it better than I remember? The only thing my 13-year old self could figure out was Bombadil was OP, and it was hilarious to watch him deck enemies.

Greatest RTS ever made.