So what happened to the Brutes and Drones...

So what happened to the Brutes and Drones? Why are Jackals part of the Storm when they barely have enough money to support their own army? Do the Grunts actually believe in the Great Journey or are they bullied into it?

bump

Literally who cares anymore? 343 raped halo hard

This. So much this.

I wish there was a grunt-centric spin-off in which you're an elite grunt leading your grunt squadron on jolly adventures

Brutes had bombed themselves back into fuedal societies with nuclear weapons back before the Covenant found them. When the covenant broke apart, all the brutes basically reverted back into various independent warring groups without much adminstrative complexity, unlike the elites who, while also fracturing to some degree, still managed to have actual goverments and shit and stayed organized.

Drones, being a hivemind soceity that served their queens, and basically just treated the prophets as an "overqueen", basically just fucked off to their home planet and continued to serve their native queens.

remember when plasma swords were rare weapons given only to the highest ranking elites, and not a big glowing cqc knife every elite had? I member.

brutes and drones fucked off to their home planets

storm jackals are the jackals that actually bought into the great journey dogma

Lorefag who wrote here, no, fuck off.

343 can't write game stories for shit and has no idea what they are doing in terms of moving the state of the universe foward, but in terms of the lore as a whole, they have done extremely well in terms of overall lore contributions and their books on average are great, and Halo 5's core mechanics and forge are fantastic.

Even though i think 343, overall, has a fucking terrible ratio of good to bad desciisons, I'm really getting fucking sick of people going FUCK 343 LMAO AM I RITE GUYS LOOK HOW COOL AND HIP I AM. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about and are just repeating the same shit other people say to look cool. Even though 343 has fucked up a ton, the people who keep repeating this shit never actually bitch about the actual bad shit they've done and instead bitch about inncousous or outright good descisons they've made, like killing the rookie.

You faggots want 343 to fail just to have something to bitch and moan about more then you actually want to talk about or have fun with the series or want them to succeed.

They all get a shiv to use for close quarters but only high ranking elites get the actual sword which has alot more flexibility and symbolism than the shiv.

Reach wasn't terrible. Halo 4 sucked shit and I don't plan on buying any more of the series.

I'll continue reading the Halo books instead of playing Call of Halo and there's nothing you can do to stop me calling 343 shit and dislike what they've done to the Halo series.

I don't mind people shitting on 343 for the shit things they've done, but there's a difference between doing that and going

>HUR 343 IS LITTERALLY CANCER AND RUINED THE SERIES AND HAS NEVER DONE A SINGLE GOOD THING

When it's not true.

>I'll continue reading the Halo books
Which of the books have you read so far?

> instead of playing Call of Halo
All of the CoD shit they added in 4 is gone in 5 user.

Contact Harvest
Fall of Reach
Cole Protocol
Ghosts of Onyx
First Strike
The Flood

And I'm finishing up the Kilo Five Trilogy after putting it off for a year and a half. Might be one or two I've forgotten

How come the subspecies of Jackals appear on Reach but not in the rest of the Halos?
How come chief never found a battle rifle in halo 1?
Why did the Covenant discontinue the banshee bomb in 2 but not 3?

>storm jackals are the jackals that actually bought into the great journey dogma

How? From what I remember, Jackals are pretty amoral thus meaning that shit doesn't phase or sway them unless it is monetary.

This reminds me, couldn't the UNSC theoretically hire a bunch of Jackals as well to at least even out the play field? I mean, they are doing that with the Human/Xeno alliance they have now but during the war?

I'm more sad we won't have a game based in the time between 3 and 4 to show off what the individual species did after the Covenant broke apart.

>All of the CoD shit they added in 4 is gone in 5 user
Why does Sup Forums keep saying this? Shills?

Alright, seems like you are reading what you should be before moving onto the 343 books. Might wanna ge to evolutions though after you finish the kilo 5 ones before you move onto other 343 stuff.

The Kilo 5 books have issues, but aside from the last one, they aren't as bad as people say, and thankfully the other 343 books after the kilo 5 ones are much better.

So, after Kilo 5, i'd suggest doing evolutions, then the forerunner triology, then the rest of the misc 343 novels.

>This reminds me, couldn't the UNSC theoretically hire a bunch of Jackals as well to at least even out the play field? I mean, they are doing that with the Human/Xeno alliance they have now but during the war?

The remaining insurrectionists and black market people in general work with jackals a lot, but ONI probably doesn't aside from a few spies due to not trusting them.

>but not in the rest of the Halos?
They show up in the novels and comics still/

>How come chief never found a battle rifle in halo 1?
Canonically? He just never happened to run across one, or the PoA never stocked them, it hasn't been specified which

>Why did the Covenant discontinue the banshee bomb in 2 but not 3?
They didn't, it's still in banshee's in single player, just not in MP for balance

They say it because it's true.

Loadouts are gone, perks are gone,ordiance is gone, weapons and powerups are back on the map, descope is back, etc.

I wouldn't betray the Covenant for money if I knew they could glass my home planet. Jackals may be space pirates but they don't go after each other and by betraying the covenant they'd possibly damn loyal Kig-Yar by association as the Vovenant already had a dim view of their race to begin with as untrustworthy.

The ones who betrayed the covenant might not be glassed themselves but I doubt they'd betray their own kind for money to go against the Covenant who up until then had been shitting on alien races for fucking ever.

True.

You know, there could've been so many ways to take the relationship with the xeno species. It seems they have done all of them in the EU. ONI is like the Imperium of Man lite, not trusting them one single bit while the rest of humanity is either skeptical or happy to accept them.

ADS, sprinting, no split screen, terrible campaign, micro transactions, also Cortana is a villain because reasons.

>ADS
It's not ADS, it's zoom that looks like ADS. Why do people keep posting this.

>Sprinting.
This is hardly CoD specific and as it's implemented in 5 is fine

None of the other stuff you mentioned has anything to do with CoD.

No, but it's still a terrible game.

No him but you could argue that "zoom that looks like ADS" is essentially ADS.

I enjoy the Halo series which is why I've read the books I have, but 343 from a lore standpoint and gameplay standpoint don't feel like an actual Halo game to me.

Sure, you could argue John fighting the Didact isn't that far out there since he does still exist, but the experience just doesn't feel like Halo. John should have stayed in Cryosleep after 3 indefinitely.

I felt like he deserved to "die" in Cryosleep forever until the juice ran out or worse. Let the other Spartans that are left deal with everything else and just take out the Didact ever waking up. Let the UNSC go back to TREBUCHET and let ONI deal with fueling civil wars to keep the Covenant remnants infighting until humanity can make as many Forerunner tech equipped ships with an army of Hurrogoks. The end.

That's what I felt like the Halo series should have ended on.

But why though

>No him but you could argue that "zoom that looks like ADS" is essentially ADS.
I think that's a dumb arguement.

"ADS" refers to not only how it looks, but how it works mechanically and how it impacts gameplay.Zoom, as it exists in halo, is chararized by having descope, not being mandatory to shoot accurately, and only being used if your target is outside a certain range and you aren't under active fire yourself. in 5, this is how smart scope also operates. Contrast this with ADS in BF or CoD or what have you, and it works differently and as such people use it differently. Attempting to use smart scope like this will result in you getting your shit pushed in.

Both in terms of how it's best used and the actual mechanics, smart scope in 5 is way, way, WAY closer to Zoom in past games then ADS in modern military loadout shooters.

That aside, if 5 doesn't feel like a halo game to you, I can't blame you. personally, it's a lot closer to the elements of halo 2 I liked then even 3 was, and as mentioned, removed all the Codshit from 5 aside front sprint, but there's also no denying that it does make a lot of changes with new movement mechanics. Personally, I think said new movement mechanics are a postive change and add to the expierence in good ways without detracting from the Halo feel, but if you don't, I'm not gonna shit on you for it.

Also, yes, I agree that John should have just stayed out of the picture, or, that if he did wake up, that Halo 4 and what he did on requim shouldn't have involved the UNSC at all. Should have just been Halo: metroid prime edition with lots of expploration and fighting wildlife.

You can just wiki this shit, man.

>Brutes
Splintered. Atriox leads the Banished, who were evading/hitting the Covenant in its prime.

>Drones
Nobody knows, they just kinda fucked off.

>Jackals
They're mercenaries, largely. Monetary gain is their thing. Even during Covenant times, the prophets knew they were just there for the pay.

>Grunts
Some believed, some didn't.

I meant how did the Storm hire the Jackals when the storm were broke as shit and only used scavenged old Covenant tech?

Storm had several kaidans from Sanghelios, which meant they were taking up monetary and military assets. Combine that with the splintered Sangheli that were off on a Forerunner installation for hundreds of years by themselves allying with the Storm and you've got artifacts to sell as well. This also isn't factoring in the ships they'd commandeered.

I watched the Halo Wars 2 trailer and it says that the Covenant couldn't deal with Atriox.
Isn't Atriox's naval forces made up of one capital ship from that elite who works for him? How could the Covenant not deal with that?

Do you honestly think he was going to try and solo the entire Covenant Fleet with his own forces or something? The Covenant could not CONTAIN him, meaning they could never take him out whenever he finally showed up. It's not like the Banished have a homeworld to go back to. They just do hit and runs, and strike hard enough that the Covenant's Prophets eventually take notice.

It's also not like they could just send in the whole fleet on him, whenever he did show up. FTL/Slipspace for most factions is not instantaneous in Halo.

But I just read that he only got the CApital ship to his forces after the Great Schism.
How can a ragtag bunch of brutes and rejects "defy" and fuck with the Covenant with no Naval forces?

Also why does Atriox just kill humans for no reason but tries to ally with everyone else?

No capital ship != No naval forces, user. Defying a space faring empire isn't that hard if you yourself are also space faring. Jump in, hit hard, jump out before any bigger forces arrive.

Fuck if we know, we haven't played the game. For all we know he could just be hostile to every faction that isn't his own. We do already know that he torments/teases the Shipmaster that signed up under him, so it's not exactly like he's wholly benevolent. To that end, given his disposition in the context of that "alliance", it seems apparent to me that he doesn't try to ally with everything he sees.

If he'd ally with the Enduring Conviction why wouldn't he try to ally with the Spirit of Fire?

Probably has something to do with the fact that he slaughtered the research base on the Ark prior to the SoF getting there, don't you think? Wait for the game to come out.

Wait a second, where in the time line is halo wars 2 taking place? After 4 and 5?

Well I hope it explains more, the way they set it up is stupid and makes Atriox the Gary Stu of brutes who's good at everything and has no flaws.
I hope Let 'Volir betrays him and allies with the SoF.