DeS talk

I want to talk about Demon's Souls for a minute. I beat 1-1 yesterday for the first time, having played DaS 1 and 2 extensively before. And while it's very much a proto-Souls game with all the familiar bells and whistles, (which DaS1 adapted so heavily) it has some unique fucking qualities that I can't quite put my finger on.

There is a serene deadness to Nexus and 1-1 that is really pushing the right buttons for me and I'm curious how that atmosphere will develop, and where Dark Souls will have begun to deviate from the design choices made in DeS.

It's really utterly original and makes me appreciate even more how much of a garbage truck DaS2 is in comparison. It almost feels like DMC1 in a way, which was quite simple in many ways compared to what came after, but it was extremely efficient with what it presented.

And I love the fucking font in the subtitles.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C7Xv0mJkHpw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DeS did a really good job at making you feel hopeless, better than DaS in my opinion. It never really told you it was hopeless. You just sort of found out. By the end of it all, no spoilers for OP, you realize just how stupid and pointless it all was. A perfect journey for the average hero. I.E. not a hero at all.

what a cute vidya nigger

I wasn't exactly feeling hopeless I would say. Since I was in the soul form (is that the proper term?) on my first run through 1-1, I really felt like a ghost wading through a dead place.

In hindsight, Undead Burg/Parish felt like Disneyland in comparison.

>le DaS2 is bad meme

>how much of a garbage truck DaS2
My tolerance must be really high since DS2 never really pissed me of as much as people get angry as shit over.

Glad you're enjoying it OP, I don't have anything to add but it sounds like you're going to love Latria

You're a meme

DeS was so amazing when it came out, it's still my favorite Souls game. The PVP was godly when it was alive let me tell you. You actually felt like a griefer unlike in the other games.

DeS is one of those weird times when I started the series with it but can't go back to replay it since it feels so dated and the glamor of its bosses wear off.

Yeah there's something about Demon's Souls' atmosphere that's hard to put your finger on. It's much more bleak than Dark Souls and much more subtle too. Like there are these huge incomprehensible things lurking just beneath the surface. Things like the Monumentals, the Nexus itself and the Maiden in Black, the Old One, King Doran, the mysterious Fog. They add this layer of mystery to the game and make you feel like you're dealing with things that are older and more powerful than you could ever imagine.

In Dark Souls the world is a lot more up front. The history of the world is given to you right from the start, and while there's a ton of additional lore to discover within the game, you never really feel out of your depth. You spend the game fighting monsters and gods, but there's nothing that seems completely esoteric and menacing. The closest thing is the Abyss and the serpents I guess.

I actually liked Dark Souls better purely for the gameplay and put probably double the hours into it than I put into Demon's Souls, but there really is nothing like playing Demon's Souls for the first time. I think it's still to this day the best singleplayer experience in the series.

>It's really utterly original and makes me appreciate even more how much of a garbage truck DaS2 is in comparison

Here we go again. DS2 isn't a bad game. It may be the worst in the series for some people but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. Hell it was probably the best game released that year.

>Like there are these huge incomprehensible things lurking just beneath the surface.
This reminds me how much the size of Boletarian Palace's walls impressed me. It still intimidates me every time I warp to 1-1.

I said in comparison you fucking autists.

Didn't you read the title nigger, this is a Demon's Souls thread! Go back to your containment board (/dsg/) if you want to defend your piece of shit game

Played both so I belong here.

>le DS2 is good meme

I still fire up my sl11 from time to time for early game coop and invasions. Demon's Souls is amazing but I'm sad how inactive it seems to be nowadays.

>I belong here
I can feel some insecurity seeping through.

>DS2 isn't a bad game.
wew

I like talking of both games, the entire series is something I enjoy.

then why do you insist flailing your DaS2 faggotry as the first thing to do in a DeS thread?

Because it continues to amaze me how people can hate it so much. I assume a good chunk of people were immensely disappointed after the hype. I never was hype because I thought DS didn't need a sequel.

In terms of atmosphere, it's got a more classic RPG feel to it than Dark Souls or the other games. Dark, murky, foggy. It feels like a much older game, of course hailing from a time when the PS3 was new and most games were simply PS2 games but better. It has this sense of mystique about so much of it that I can't stop fangirling all over it and wanting more, but it's painfully limited. I want to think there's still things we haven't found out about it. I always look for more.

I want more DeS content so bad. Shit, if From would just come along for the tenth anniversary, say "here's a remake and the sixth archstone," I would orgasm with my heart and die.

Have fun, OP.

Also, in the same vein as "kill the dogs first," I'll give you a vague, cryptic word of advice that you'll know when the time has come, if you're interested:

Cut the tail.

Demon's Souls is honestly what got me back into gaming. I had taken a massive hiatus during college and then sat down to Demon's Souls. I fell in love so hard with the unique levels (especially Latria) boss fights and mechanics of blue/black phantoms. I still remember to this day how relieved I felt when I dropped that shortcut in 5-2 and didn't have to trek back through that fucking poison swamp again.

I've legit thought about buying a second copy and an extra PS3 so that when my son plays through it I can lay down my sign in Latria and stand in his way as the Old Monk. Ima God's Wrath him so hard through the wall/fog.

Why cut the tail?

Your son has literally no chance at life.

gotta throw those kids in the pool if they ever want to learn to swim

"Kill the Dogs First" is a reference to the Capra Demon boss fight where if you didn't focus on killing the dogs, you'd get stunlocked and die.

This is also a tip.

Don't die.

It's bad in comparison to the other games, standing on its own it's very "okay"

No, i meant with an autistic father who sets him up his fantasy rpg so he can role play a monk against him. He'll either hate you or get bullied so much he just hangs himself.

>There is a serene deadness to Nexus and 1-1 that is really pushing the right buttons for me and I'm curious how that atmosphere will develop

After all of these years since I played DS this is what stands out for me the most. Every area has a great spin on that empty, beyond-the-end feeling. A beautiful feeling of desolation without feeling depressing (unlike the Bethesda Fallout games which are just a boring drag). The character creation music still puts that rich feel in me.

youtube.com/watch?v=C7Xv0mJkHpw

Literally dont care, ill just wiki it as and when

I'm working on a DeS piece for my portfolio, just a sneak peak still working on it, gunna pose it in a little des scene with an archstone and get it happening in unreal

Kind of just a massive cocktease at a sequel/remake's quality could look like

Also the DBS is my fav weapon ever, everything about it, getting it, using it. It's nice.

>DeS did a really good job at making you feel hopeless

This is actually what it avoids doing. It's desolate, it's empty, but there's still hope, there's still the possibility of your character becoming incredibly powerful. This is a theme in all of the games, the world is empty, all of the great projects have collapsed or explosively overflowed, and now you get to pick up the leftovers.

In the Bethesda Fallout games, you look out into the distance and you can't even detect a possibility of something cool or hopeful, just ugly bullshit aesthetic and smeared all over a world without possibilities. It's really inartistic and just depressing, while Demon's Souls is basically a beautiful and horrifying dream of living beyond the end.

Why is there a bandage on the sword?

make the BBS you fag

It's kind of a work in progress, I'm not happy with that cloth thing I wanted to do. I'm redoing it atm as a proper cloth wrap dragon/snake skin looking thing with a long tail on it, getsome cloth physics going on and make it look kinda aesthetic

It's there to soak up blood at the bottom of the blade, was my thinking

I love the idea of a giant "blunt sword". When I first came across one in DS3 I couldn't stop myself from upgrading it.

Thats not unreasonable

It feels sped up, with the animatios being too fast. Its not a game designed with pure dodge gameplay in mind.

Put a chaingun on it

>cut the tail
Arguable because it will stick in your face at all times when you might prefer a breather.

It's my favorite souls game, and yeah the atmosphere has something that DaS failed to capture, at least to me. The universe feels larger and more coherent, souls, demons, fog, everything has a sense and an origin. Also the story is more straightforward, at least for its main frame. It also has subtlety if you search for it, and the sense of progression, with you getting more and more powerful, while also being more and more tempted by demonic arts is much more present. The soul tendency is there to represent that your actions have consequences on yourself, and the world tendency on the world itself.
Now people will shit on world tendency, and I'll agree it'd need some more polishing, but it was a very pleasant mechanincs, imo.
Remember, he who fights monsters can very well become a monster himself.

LOS ANGELES
O
S

A
N
G
E
L
E
S

DeS's online has been shut down for awhile now, if it was on PC we could still be enjoying it if it weren't for Sony being jews about it.

It's not shut down, it's just dead

>PC online play never shuts down
Don't be stupid.

Damn I was the same way. I had given up on modern gaming and got drunk at my friend's house and saw he had a copy when we were looking through his games for something to play. He said his friend had let him borrow it and it was some dumb hard game I might like. I was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere, level design, and challenge. It was like someone had taken all the things I loved about classic gaming and put a very modern spin on it. I went out and bought a PS3 soon after.

Demon's Souls is probably my favorite game of all time. I love it to death. I bought Demon's Souls on launch on a whim, I saw a trailer for the game and thought it looked kinda neat, so I figured why not I had nothing else to play. The game blew me away, everything about it just stuck with me. I try to play it about once every other month, and I have done that pretty regularly since its launch. I've put so much time into the game, and love it so so dearly. I really miss the discussions and DeS threads on Sup Forums before Dark Souls came out. Were really comfy and fun.

>before Dark Souls came out
on PC*

Played Demon's Souls last, its my second favorite after DaS. Feels like a DLC pack rather than a proper game. If it weren't for Anor Londo or Sen's Fortress it would easily be my favourite Souls game. I love how empty the levels are, adds to the dark surreal atmosphere. The overly cluttered visual design in later games makes them way less memorable.

There was a certain "density" to DeS. The atmosphere fell oppressive.

Venturing into each world was scary, because you knew that if you died, you would have to go back to the archstone, and do everything all over again. So the stakes were high. You gripped to life a lot harder. There was greater a desperation for survival.

And as crazy as things could get in the game, there was always that foggy, dream like atmosphere that made everything seem surreal.

Just got around to buying a ps3 last week and been playing it too. People talk about how this game has a more "misterious " lore but I kinda hate it. DaS already has very little story, but the lore compensates for it, as you can read tons of itens and they'll give you that juicy backstory to go for it.

So far all literally the only pice of lire I've read is the Adjudicator Shield and though I'm not very far at the game, it's really off-putting.

>Valley of Defilement

Quick question: How long did it take you to get pure bladestone?

>mfw DaS babbies crying about Blighttown

I didn't. Fuck it.

less than 1 hour
spawn at adjudicator archstone, kill the black skeleton in the secret passage, jump off cliff or use nothomewardbone

>souls, demons, fog, everything has a sense and an origin
This is one of those things people mention once in a while, but it doesn't really get actually discussed much. DeS had all these gameplay elements like fog gates, souls, etc, and gave them an in universe reason to exist. Even the persistent light that follows your character was an item in your inventory called Augite of Guidance. Every other game in the series has the light, but none have bothered explaining it since DeS, they just brought it forward because it was part of the formula, like fog gates which should have no reason to exist in a setting without the Colorless Fog. Sure, you can handwave it, call it an effect of the powerful boss soul or whatever you want, but the game loses something by using the mechanics of the previous entry without stopping to think why.

DeS has more of an ethereal atmosphere that really makes it feel unique. It's areas are a lot less gritty than DaS, and have a little more of a ghostly purgatory vibe with elements of lovecraftian horror about them.

It's just the lack of footsteps in soul form, the hazy lighting, exaggerated depth of field, more cryptic lore. DaS just feels dirtier and more like a post apocalyptic fantasy in comparison.

>DaS2
>game of the year
That's bullshit in any year, let alone in one where games like Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta and Divinity OS came out.

DaS perfected, solidified and popularized the Souls formula. DeS is a retarded alpha of the formula and aged horribly.

DeS is dogshit and the worst Souls game.

DaS:PTDE 1080p 60fps HD texture modded > BB:GOTYE > DaSII:SOTFS > Nioh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DeS.

I'll rate DaSIII once The Fire Fades Edition is out.

These are objective facts.

DeS had a much greater focus. Lore-wise Boletaria is just completely fucked, and aside from a few survivors who are managing to keep themselves together you're basically the only one there from the outside, following Vallarfax's call for help in hope of riches/power/fame/whatever the player decides. And more than this, it's all there for you to take. Just like in DaS you're not the chosen one (despite how people seem to treat you), but as opposed to DaS you are basically the only one taking on the challenge and rising to the task. Then with DaS you've got loads of NPCs coming in from outside of Lordran, but it still tries to do the same thing without taking into account the 20 or so other people walking your same path, and there's a greater focus on building up the world and those within; Anor Londo is designed to be a resplendent capital worthy of the gods, New Londo is designed to follow the lore of a prospering city fallen to ruin, the tombs are designed to reflect Nito and all he has going on, etc., whereas in DeS everything began conceptually simple (castle, mines, swamp, prison/tower) then from there designed solely to make you feel like a lone soldier waging war through a wasteland, it all was made with you specifically in mind leading to it having that lasting effect you can't quite put your finger on.

And whilst all that sounds pretentious as fuck I still believe it to be the case.

I've played all the Souls games a fair bit and DeS still stands out as my favorite, partially because of the excellent atmosphere but also the level design. Wasn't a big fan of the interconnected levels introduced with DaS, even with the bonfire fast travel. DaS3 in particular really felt like it would've benefited from having its settings cut up in levels at pivotal moments of the lore rather than the awkward connected path we got (muh convoluted time).

Post favorite weapon

>Poise ? What's poise ?

Exactly. That's something that really bugged me when I played DaS for the first time. It reused assets and ideas without taking the time to justify those and why they're here. It's some little details but it adds a lot to the overall impression

In BB your character didn't automatically glow like in the Dark Souls games. You had to get a lantern for it.

I love how so many things in BB are DeS concepts applied to a different setting and period.

DeS remains my all time favourite game with BB coming in a close second. DeS has this strange thing of reminding me of Ueda's games in atmosphere. Might be because DeS is in that era of PS3 games where they were just better PS2 games.

I wish Sony gave us a DeS remaster for the coming anniversary. Although they have ordered other games from From, and if they're of the same caliber than BB, I'm ok with that too

Man i'm glad BB exists just as an idea of DeS style of gameplay in a different setting.

It draws so much from DeS and respects it whereas Dark Souls 3 draws from it (LMAO STROM RULER XD) and shits on it.

I always find it strange I can play DeS and BB non stop even now but the Dark Souls series i've never got past the 1k hour mark with them whereas with the other two games I have like 3k+ hours on both.

>It's really utterly original and makes me appreciate even more how much of a garbage truck DaS2 is in comparison

I wrote a paragraph worth of stuff about DeS before I poked at DaS2, get fucked.

I'll never understand DaS2 fags they have to fucking scream that their game is great in every fucking souls related thread. It's gonna be a forgotten game compared to the rest of the series desu.

DeS on it's own is great, but compared to any other souls game it's garbage.

DS2 is the pinnacle of the franchise.

Sure it is

Nah it's good

DS3 is a forgotten game already.
It barely has x2.5 the population that SOTFS still has after 3 years of being out.
Meanwhile DS2 had around 15K before the third DLC dropped.

DS3 is a failure in every respect besides graphics.

franchise

Both games are shit. Both sequels were made out of contractual obligation. Bloodborne was the true vision the studio wanted to do not to be tied to dark souls.

Also both games were made by the same teams with DaS3 having Big M and the BB art designers.

It's not even the best Souls game, nor even the best Dark souls game either

Everytzhing revolves around shitting on dark souls 2 despite people liking it. Truly epic lolz op faggot.

The popularity of a game can be attributed to the success of its predecessor. Dark Souls was good and popular and popularity transferred over to Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls 2 was not good so it's of no surprise that Dark Souls 3 is forgotten.

DS2 at least used all the mechanics DS1 had and added tons of new ones. It had poise, PvP sin, blue invasions, actual stamina management, estus that you couldn't abuse right in front of enemies/invaders.

DS3 stripped nearly everything good and added nothing except better graphics and infinite stamina for rolls and R1 mashing.
It's a skeleton of a souls game.

Seriously though in comparsion why is the Dark souls so bad in comparsion to DeS/BB

DaS1
>Literally unfinished Second Half

DaS2
>Such a mess it's hard to even start lets just say the core combat for one is absolute dogshit.

DaS3
>DUDE REMEMBER DAS1 XDDD AHAHAH

DS2 has the best combat, KYS.

>Second half is unfinished
The problem is that it's linear, not unfinished

> lets just say the core combat for one is absolute dogshit.

This isn't even true. I like replayin DS2 more because feels more responsive.

It's funny watching DaS players try to play DeS and try to abuse dodge roll iframes. They consistently roll off of bridges and cliffs all the time.

I do have to complain about the weapon animations not being cancelable, it sucks watching your character gleefully dive off a cliff at every possible moment.

earlier I saw a post saying the Azumanga Daioh anime was better than the manga, and now this. is opposite day now officially 2/11 and I missed the memo?

Das>BB>Des
Haven't played the rest

You two can fuck right off that combat is the worst and least responsive of the series.

INB4 LEARN IT

I did probably more than both of you. The game is bad.

DS1 is mostly finished, Izalith is 5% of the game's total.
DS2 has the same combat at DS1, only much faster and more stamina consumption.
DS3 is nothing but a soft-reboot for the new generation of console casuals, it's an extremely linear tutorial till you start going to the optional areas. It's sad because even DeS let you do 5 separate areas in any order after the tutorial.

DS2 is much faster than DS1.
If you have to lie through your teeth to make a point, you've already lost.

>Much faster
Oh my christ stop posting you fucking retard learn the games you are talking about before you open your fucking mouth

>hurr durr if you hated it so much then why'd you play it that long??? :DDDD

>DaS2 defense force ruining a DeS thread because they can't stand hearing people calling their tastes shitty
You're not helping your case, seeing how fucking cancerous your fanbase is

Got me my duder :^)

I haven't played DeS in a long time and I don't remember anything having to do with a tail. Can you spoiler it for me?

Boss was frustrating, but why all the hate for Izalith? Location was visually cool as fuck and was fun enough.

DS2's weapon move sets are way faster than DS1's, almost x2.
DS2 gives you less stamina for R1 mashing so on average you can do less attacks between waiting for stamina to regen, unlike DS1.

Please lookup videos of the same weapons in each game and you'll see. Or better yet go swing a longsword and a claymore in DS1 then do the same in DS2.

And stop making a fool of yourself.