Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums,

I'm a PC guy that can handle most of his problems by himself, but I'm stuck with a problem I can't handle.

I was fixing my friends PC which basically meant changing thermal paste on his CPU. His PC is kinda old but it handled Metro 2033 (not Redux) on Ultra, Killing Floor 2 on High settings with ~40 FPS.

Now it can't handle even Saints Row IV without stuttering and I was wondering, what component is behind this stuttering?

It's really weird, because it's running with 60 FPS and every 5 seconds it freezes for 0,5 - 2 seconds.
Why?

TL;DR
Games all of a sudden freeze for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds. Which component could be fucked?

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

smartmontools.org/wiki/Download#InstalltheWindowspackage
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have tried completely uninstalling the graphics drivers and reinstalling?

Yes, I reinstalled whole Windows and downloaded newest drivers for all components.

Tried running something like MSI afterburner to monitor temps/bottle necks when it happens?

>Games all of a sudden freeze for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds

could be ram and hdd.

this

I will say hdd. If you ever get bsod at all its the hdd. gpu's and hdd's hate aging the so try cleaning the gpu too

I thought it could be one of these.

Also if I don't move, everything is perfectly smooth but if I try to move in games like Rust, PC completely shits itself.

Good idea. Thanks.

If nothing obvious appears try the memory diagnostic like there other user suggested

Also before you get your hands dirty roll back gpu driver to an old one and test

Check that ram is seated properly

was that image taken before or after changing his thermal paste? 42c idling is kinda hot considering his GPU temps are fine, maybe his CPU is throttling under load

it could also be the slow ram, DDR2 doesn't hold up well especially in open world games where even DDR4 provides a nice boost over DDR3 due to all the streaming

on second thought, I just realized he only has 4gb of RAM. it's probably filling up completely and forcing him to access the page file frequently. I'd say this is the most likely culprit. some games are light on RAM and some aren't, especially fast open world stuff.

I would monitor his RAM usage and CPU/GPU temps while gaming just to be sure but I'm fairly sure the fix here is to add another 4GB of RAM

Did you upgrade to 10? It has programs that use cpu especially on a new install

Guys should I install the windows 10 Enterprise tlsb for gaming? Any cons to it.

It was taken after changing the thermal paste.

The problem is my friend is an idiot and pushed the PC to the limits even though he knew his thermal paste was at that time probably all gone (and yes, it was)

I'm on Win7

What program would you recommend for monitoring usage or errors of components?

I had this issue. PC just randomly hanged or crashed when accessing certain files on the disk

If that helps it has problems with loading fucking firefox or even browsing files sometimes

is it some meme wall build with jumper cables?
take an rubber/eraser and rub against pins of ram and gpu. clean it and try.

Check your hard disk for smart errors. There are lots of utilities to access smart logs, but if you need something more advanced I recommend smartmontools. It can queue HDD to run a built-in diagnostics and search for bad sectors. Quick self-test should take a few minutes, complete would be better to left overnight

smartmontools.org/wiki/Download#InstalltheWindowspackage

>Also if I don't move, everything is perfectly smooth but if I try to move in games like Rust, PC completely shits itself.

I'm guessing your cpu is trash. I mean, of the games listed, according to the steam pages, SR is the most demanding, and that cpu is barely above the minimum requirement.

But then again this makes it sound like your harddrive and memory is garbage.

It's all just garbage.

garbage

Hope you fix it.

Thanks!

Thanks. You are probably right. I remember he was overheating that PC all the time so the heat probably damaged most of the components.

nigga do this
don't ignore me

Acids in rubber can damage the components

Get a PS4

>Sup Forums actually being helpful
I'm proud of you

Yes, this is a bizarre thread

there's a fucking board for this

Saints row more demanding them metro 2033

>Sup Forums
>helping anyone
>especially "gamer"

If you're a fucking retard and make a thread for your tech support needs, yes, you'll get rightfully ridiculed.
There's a general for that, it's called

go be an asshole somewhere else.
OP already got his answers and as you can see you weren't needed.
So fuck off.

Sup Forums doesn't "help"

Even says so in their fucking sticky the twats

Not even the first guy, I'm just saying how it is.
Sup Forums can be incredibly helpful, since it isn't full of gaymers whose knowledge is based on tech youtubers, but only if you know how to ask. Making a separate thread for it only pollutes the board with pointless tech support and triggers everyone's autism, but if you just go to a relevant thread and ask there you most likely will get help.

Nobody cares, faggot.