What does Sup Forums think of this console

what does Sup Forums think of this console

Last good Nintendo console

Most misunderstood controller of all time

Explain?

Shit really

OP didnt post the snes retard

Trash console

It birthed Super Mario 64 for which I will always be grateful. Grateful enough to overlook its relatively okay library.

I mean look at it you need three hands

Home of the best wrestling games ever made.

Much worse than the PS1

>not coiling your dick around the center one

fpbp

I liked the PS1 more as a kid.
Looking back tho I'd say N64 is bretty great. Fuck, now I want one.
Woulda been awesome with MH on it back then. Really good library tho.

The better of the 5th gen with the first-party games but still shit beyond that.
That's Gamecube.

No the GameCube was. GameCube also had the last good Mario party games.

PS1 was always shit if you liked playing games

it was an FMV machine

It's aged like milk, aged much worse than SNES. Odd ass controller, one of the smallest library of games on a big named console, and only a few are worth playing. Abysmal framerates and majority of the games are an eyesore to look at today, even a lot of PS1 games aged better in that regard.

On a positive note, the few games that are worth playing are fantastic. Super Mario 64, OoT (17-20fps), Majora's Mask (17-20fps), Banjo, Mario Kart, etc

PS1 was a much better console overall.

It was a console that needed more focus on RPGs, a sharper 3rd party library, a 20/20 vision on the future with clear goal lines.

>being autistic enough to list the framerates of old 3D games
neck yourself pc fat

>even a lot of PS1 games aged better
Name them.

Stop it

The PS1 was shit. Take it from someone who was actually there

It doesn't have the best library but it's my favorite console for some reason. It has such a comfy atmosphere around it. Also it has my favorite controller and some really nice colors (atomic purple fuck yes). Loved collecting those N64 game boxes. If you dig into it a little it does have a bigger library than at first glance, but Nintendo's fuckery during the 5th gen kept it from being much better. Still very good for all the obstacles with the arcane console architecture and Ninty's assholery towards developers.

>arcane console architecture
that's a myth tho

The Z button felt longer than it actually was.

Uh, no. Obviously you need to set it down and play without holding it. The three handles are there for stability.

Yes, the nintendo 64 have less chips.
But the RCP/RDP/RSP chip is pretty much the inspiration for the Emotion engine and Cell chips, and is as hard as those to program for.

I have come to hate it more over time, the games are great but I think the console is hideous and the controllers have aged like shit as well, that analog stick is shameful

I really need to pick up the hori mini pad and see how much better the experience is

where the autism started.

seriously glad I didged that bullet and got a PS1

>mgs
>sotn
>literally every jrpg on the system
>re 1-3
>wipeout

meanwhile, one mario and two zeldas in asperger land.

1st and 2nd party games machine with a comparitively small (albeit legendary) library of games

Allowed sony to singlehandedly corner the games market by trying to keep the price point low by omitting a disc drive and pissing 3rd party devs off to jump ship to sony

RCP has nothing to do with emotion engine or cell, those are actual CPUs

RCP is just a vertex shader + pixel shader, its not much different than an earlier geforce card except obviously slower and a bit more programmable

Not exactly.
The RCP is a generic 128bit/16bit precision DSP with a small self looping cache that is used for T&L (which is where the notion it is a proto vertex shader comes from, but no PS from this baby) and audio.
The EE VUs are DSPs that have the exact same function, but they have access to bigger programs and are 128/32.

Now Cell you can indeed argue that are full processors, even if the main idea remains the same.

vertex shaders on earlier geforce cards were basically similar DSPs except fixed function

emotion engine had two vector units, only one was used for T&L the other acted more as a co-processor for the CPU

when I said pixel shader, I meant the single pixel pipeline inside RCP, though shader isn't necessarily the wrong word since the pipeline does include per-pixel color combiners

Still, doesn't make up for the extremely limited cartridge space and RAM.

Abosolute shitshow when it comes to emulation.

Good thing I still own mine as a kid.

Well, you still had to use the VUs for audio mixing.
And shaders are still a bit DSPish, but they have specific vertex handling stuff in em.

It has Wave Race. That automatically makes it a good console.

>a set of these would run you $300+
fucking why

so many classics on the n64 like starfox, ocarina of time, super mario 64, banjo kazooie, mario party, mario kart, smash bros etc. I don't think nintendo can ever recreate that same magic where all of their new games were good

Wave Race was very good. Blast Corps was very good. Super Mario 64 was very good for a playthrough, and then there's nothing to do once you get the 120th star.

The console gave me a lot of disillusionment, though. The Rare arcade ports were awful. Everyone lost their shit over Goldeneye while I was able to play Descent on LAN. F Zero X was repeatedly delayed and came out feeling lamer than the SNES original.

I was heavily into Street Fighter 2 on the SNES at home, and there was barely anything as good in that respect on the N64, in terms of arcade styled games.

Pretty weak system overall. It was disorienting to see my tastes shift as well as see other people fall over themselves to praise games which I didn't care about at all.

Outshadowed by the PS1 because it was way easier to piracy the PS1. But it has the most manly games from Nintendo I mean rare

i think it was nintendo's fault for not understanding human anatomy

i like it

haters gonna hate just because the Playstation had more games but I still play both

>The Rare arcade ports were awful
But there only was one.

>Everyone lost their shit over Goldeneye while I was able to play Descent on LAN
Descent was old hat by the time Goldeneye came out, people wanted realistic shooters after the endless stream of Doom clones.

>F-Zero X feels lamer than the original

areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpg

This has to be a lie. X is leagues ahead of the SNES game and always was.

>implying I didn't own 3 PS1s
The PS1 had a gigantic library with many many classic games. The N64 had a few gems and that's it.

Yeah cuck weeaboo games. The N64 was HIGH TEST

I hate the image you picked for this thread. There is no room for that logo to breathe, it's pissing me off.

>The N64 had a few gems and that's it.
t. an idiot who believes mario, zelda and banjo are the only games on N64

try looking into the good third party library sometime, with games like mystical ninja 1 and 2, mischief makers, sin and punishment, battletanx, doom 64, ogre battle 64, world driver championship, and a whole bunch of good wrestlers

and plenty good multiplatform games like rayman 2, shadow man, etc

Worst Nintendo console

Has a lot of hidden gems but is a bitch to emulate.

Saturn is a fucking CUNT to emulate, as well.

Suit your delusional self then m8. I'll be over here playing the countless great games the PS1 had whilst you do your 9000th run of OoT.

Name some good EXCLUSIVES on PS1 that weren't made in Japan.

Go on, I'm waiting

The reason people usually only mention Mario and Zelda is because those are the only good games on the system which is proven by that pathetic list of yours. Except Goemon which was actually good

>wrestlers
my sides

user, don't be an anus and stop moving the goalposts.

>le quantity over quality argument
What's the point when most of those games are cheesy generic RPGs like Legend of Dragoon or pedobait simulation games?

>he doesn't like Japanese games
>for Japanese consoles

>ps1 rpgs are shit
i can't fucking believe this

>that weren't made in Japan

lol

The controller, despite being bizarre as hell, was a work of genius in future proofing.

Being at the dawn of 3D gaming, no company had a firm grasp as to what contoller schemes would take priority. By being moddable and allowing for 3 controller positions, the N64 was able to survive the entire generation without requiring significant changes. In contrast, the Saturn went through 2 schemes and the PSX went through 3.

I can't say it was an efficient controller. But it sure as hell was effective.

No one made a quantity over quality argument. That's the an N64fag delusion, that the N64 had a small library but it was all high quality, great games when the reality was as follows:

N64 = tiny library with few good games
PS1 = massive library with a lot of good games

If one console has 100 games and 10 are good, a console that has 1000 games of which 100 are good is still the better console. N64fags cannot grasp this.

Oh, while I'm here, fuck everyone bringing up PS1 shit in here. Just shut the fuck up. Stop being stupid.

>>The Rare arcade ports were awful
>But there only was one.
Besides KI Gold there were a few of the Crusin games. Cruisn USA was an awful port. KI Gold was some sort of compromise from not making an awful port by trying to be its own game, and I already sold the system by the time something as simple as a fight stick came out for the N64

>Descent was old hat by the time Goldeneye came out, people wanted realistic shooters after the endless stream of Doom clones.
Full 3D movement as old hat? Nah, I think people just wanted to play some Doom on their TV, quality be damned.

Nope. I didn't like the fog. I didn't like the simplistic textures. I didn't like the announcer's voice. I didn't like the interface style and fonts used. I didn't like the style of the music.

Original F Zero was comfortable being its own unique thing, while X felt like a try-hard game from top to bottom.

ps1 a shit

world driver championship > gran turismo

Great console.
A lot of people hate it because its emulation isn't very good.

>100 are good
PSFags wish.

Killer Instinct Gold was also shit in the arcade. I was a huge fan of Killer Instinct 2 and I was so fucking disappointed with Gold. Most overrated fighting game ever.

All of those games run at 30fps. So you really don't know what you're talking about.

bad library honestly and i say this as someone who loved the n64. after like 20 games it just completely falls off and theres little worth playing

you got the nintendo/rare games, the wrestling games, couple of other things, then theres kinda nothing

ps1 had much more variety in hindsight

Pros : First Smash was released on it.
Cons : It killed the Mario and Zelda franchise which were 500% better in 2d.

The Cruisn games were neither made by Rare, nor were they ported by Rare. They were made by Midway and ported by Midway.

>I think people just wanted to play some Doom on their TV
Doom had been on PS1 since 1995 and didn't make that much of a seismic impact. That's why Goldeneye sold 8 million copies (more than Halo Combat Evolved), because somebody had finally made a shooter that was neither a Doom clone (Duke, Quake) nor had any RPG/adventure elements (like Strife, System Shock). The financial success of the game is why all shooters developed after Goldeneye were no longed styled after Doom and became more realistic and tactical (SiN, Half-Life, etc). Older shooters immediately became old hat.

ps1 had a lot of underwhelming multiplats, and honestly, outside of Squaresoft's RPGs (and not all of them), ps1 is kinda mediocre in all aspects.
I much prefer what N64 and Saturn offered in terms of exclusives.

The way I see it, PS1 was good if you could only pick 1 console back in the day, but if you can spend some money collecting games now, collecting for Saturn and N64 is a lot better than PS1. I know I do play Saturn and N64 more than PS1.

>sonycucks being niggerlings as usually

It's overrated

Had as many trash games as it had decent ones; probably more than that

>Forsaken 64
>Starshot
>Jet Force Gemini
>Blast Corps
>Shadows of the Empire
>Cruis'n
>Body Harvest
>Glover

All trash.

Nice blog but the PS1 undoubtedly had a greater variety of good games

>RE
>FF
>MGS
>Hercules
>Dino Crisis
>Crash
>Spyro
>Abe

Fuck, I could go on for adys.

Spyro and Crash sucked and were 7/10 at best.

Starshot and Crusin' WERE trash but you've got seriously bad taste if you hate the others.

What do you think is a good game then?

RE, MGS, Dino Crisis and Abe were multiplats.

Yeah, that was very dumb of me. I was lumping KI and Crusin together as being the arcade games which were marketed as being built with the N64 in mind for easy porting. Whoops.

>What do you think is a good game then?

OoT

>RE, MGS, Dino Crisis and Abe were multiplats.

Shut the fuck up they weren't on N64, end of story.

>RE
multiplat
>FF
VII? It came out on PC, and eh... overrated.
>MGS
Also on PC
>Hercules
Disney game? Anyway any side-scroller platformer you could name on N64 doesn't even come close to Goemon's Great Adventure, not even Klonoa, sorry.
>Dino Crisis
Okay... but another survival horror? Meh.
>Crash
Poochy the dog, I much prefer Jumping Flash if we're talking PS1's 3D platformers.
>Spyro
Better than Crash, still meh.
>Abe
Cinematic platformers aren't for everyone, I don't like them. Nice visuals but it was also released on PC anyway.

I like the PS1, games like Ghost in the Shell or Eihander are great, but I don't like it better than the N64. Nothing on PS1 I liked better than Sin and Punishment, for example.

I-ITS ON PC SO IT DOESNT COUNT

What is this bullshit? We're discussing N64 vs PS1 not PS1 vs PC.

>What is this bullshit? We're discussing N64 vs PS1 not PS1 vs PC.
No, you just thought that's what was being discussed.

Follow the thread.

Who said we're discussing N64 vs PS1? I'm not a nintendrone or a sonygger, I was an idort back then.

Saturn>N64>MediocreStation.
RE1 was also on Saturn and had shorter load times.
RE2 was on N64, had shorter load times (obviously due to cart) and extra modes that aren't in any other version of the game.
The PS1 versions of RE 1 and 2 are really obsolete, they have nothing worth going back for, you're better playing the PC, Gamecube or Dreamcast versions nowadays.

We may as well count the likes of Rayman 2, Shadow Man, Rush, etc for the N64 camp since the PS1 versions were so trash they shouldn't even count as existing.

>No, you just thought that's what was being discussed.

That's what I'm discussing and I don't give a shit what the thread was discussing. It's discussing what I want to discuss, starting when I posted.

If you were an idort back then you'd know that the PS1 was the "Resident Evil box". It's all anyone was talking about back when that game launched.

Just checking, were you the nigger in ?

Because if you seriously tl;dr'd the previous post, then you're a giant faggot for not actually realizing what point he was driving.

Maybe you should suck fewer cocks and read for a change.

>saturn autists
Why can't you realize noone cares about your shitty console? So stupid.

I feel like it had a lot of games where they tried interesting and weird things, with varying results. It was the last console where it seems devs really tried to do new things

Glover
Tetrisphere
Wetrix
Iggy's Recking Balls
Space Station Silicon Valley

Meh, never was a big fan of survival horror, yeah I played them, RE2 was great, but meh.
I much prefer games like Einhander or Gamera 2000 to any survival horror on the ps.

Yeah back then the Saturn wasn't as big because it was hard to get games. Nowadays though? You can burn CD-Rs, japan has lots of great games.

Stop being sonyggers, people. PS1 was okay but mediocre.

>lots of great games.
Oh come on. It was mostly generic shit that only warrants any attention because it's obscure and exclusive to the Saturn

Yes, I was. Deal with it, turdmuncher.

b-but muh n-nights

Imma fuck ur sister

N64 is great and all but I think most people can agree the ps1 was the better console.

What if he doesn't have a sister?

It's tied with the Dreamcast as the most overrated console of all time but it still has some great games in its library.

then imma fuck his mom to give him a sister.
then imma fuck my daughter.

Are there any people who like the PS1 who aren't loser JRPG fanboys?

To be fair, normies do seem to remember N64 more fondly. Even here in Sweden I've never talked to anyone about FF7, Crash or Gran Turismo, but bring up OOT, Smash 64 or Goldeneye and people will get down. Wait a minute-
>GET DOWN

Like, 8 good games at most