What's the appeal of Mass Effect?

What's the appeal of Mass Effect?

Never played those games until now and so far it's just run through a tube, duck behind cover, bang bang shooty shooty, pointless leveling, conversation wheel, back to start.

Is there more to it (besides being able to date npcs)?

bump

If I had to guess I'd say that its because they started the series as kids.

I mean its a fucking cover based shooter with some rpg elements and boring ass meaningless conversations (just like you told) so how can possibly someone go and tell that this series is any good?

you're a commander of a spaceship travelling the galaxy what the fuck else do you want

Didn't play much of it but so far I'm just not impressed. Deus Ex is older yet 10 times more complex, and it was just supposed to be a shooter with rpg elements.

Mass Effect feels more like a toned down Gears of War.

I would like a crouch mechanic for starters.

>being this much of an anti-bioware shill this early in the morning

cuckoldry never sleeps

It doesn't have to be original. I'm going to shoot that alien bastard and fuck this blue octopus woman and then fly off and see some cool shit. Great.

I always thought Mass Effect is the new Star Trek for people not nerdy enough to know or care about Star Trek, but prefering a bit harder SF to Star Wars' space fantasy.

For the first game it was a whole galaxy to explore where your choices mattered, but then they catered to tumblr and it became faggots in space: the quest for the hidden gender

KOTOR was a better game desu.

First one was somewhat novel at the time and the whole industry wasn't oversaturated with conversation wheels yet. It still played like a decent RPG/shooter hybrid and created the illusion that your choices mattered.
Then came 2, people were hyped, but shit went too much bangbang and not enough RPG in my opinion. Was sill a somewhat decent game.
Then came 3, everyone expected that their choices mattered... and then we got RGB endings.

wrex
I just played the first for wrex, and the other ones because I already played the first one so might as well

It's going to be hard for you to look at it fairly. Early 7th gen games in general are aging like milk.

It was a narrative driven Space Opera in a time when there were no other options for an experience like the one it provided. It stood out for being different but hasn't aged well.

By the time the 3rd game was released EA had fucked Bioware to the ground and I my intelligence had grown while the games' hadn't.

I played the first two games in high school and loved them while the third game was released in my second year of college.

I went back and tried playing the first two games which I absolutely loved at their release but it's too slow and I don't have the time in my life to replay a third person shooter RPG that doesn't have a lot of depth. I'd rather use that time to replay KoToR or TSL - or just play a completely new game all together.

These games meant a hell of a lot to me when I was younger. I felt fully engrossed in the universe and actually cared about the characters. It's such a shame that problems behind the scenes meant the last game, that everyone wanted to be a satisfying ending that ties your decisions together just never happened. It was a rushed game that just didn't feel like it was made with passion like the first and less so the second. It's still worth a play through though, at least for the atmosphere.

There was nothing like it available.

The memorable characters and humanity fuck yeah themes helped.

Also the fact that it contains pretty much every trope conceived in some form or other.

It's a waifu game for normies.

This is quite true

First one was kind of ok for the novelty, rest of them just generic shootan bang bang.

I had fun with the first one, the robots ("Geth") came at me and I sabotaged the dangerous ones and overloaded the shields of the beefy ones and had my buddies get the cannon fodder ones.

Like, I legit had to think about which skill to use and when.

>TFW never gonna get an Bioware rpg where you can solve problems without violence and where hacking is not reduced to a stupid minigame.

here

just uninstalled ME and ME2 after this thread made me realise I am truly never going to play those games again

thank you ;_;