What's the best Tomb raider game and why?

what's the best Tomb raider game and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tombraider.wikia.com/wiki/Lara_Croft_(Legend_Timeline)
youtube.com/watch?v=j1-w8N1BLpM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The one you posted.

Revelations is pretty good too.

2 and 3
Also tank controls are fine, if anyone want to sperg out fuck off

The first 3 are legendary.

Probably Tomb raider 2, but the first 3 are all equally good in my book.
However, I can tell you that pic related is easily the worst tomb raider
(not counting nu-TR, haven't played those yet)

The first one because it has the least human enemies (from the ones I've played at least).

Yeah 2 lost that comfy lonelyness, but with 3 they achieved the perfect balance

Legend is legendary.

I like Legend and Anniversary the most, but 1/2/3/Revelations are all really fucking good.

1>5>3>4>2

To be honest, the first 4 are equally good to me, although I like 3 a bit more, because it was my first and the levels always had that desolated feel to it, like Lara was the only living person on the planet. Very surreal.

5 (Chonicles) was okayish, but I didn' t enjoy it so much like the others.

Let's not fuck around. Legend is GOAT.

The first six are roughly decreasing in quality as you go along, they are too old to enjoy unless you are already familiar with them. With that being said, the first 2 are 'comfy' as you faggots like to say

The next 3 were made after a hiatus (because 5+6 were so horrible) Legend is the first and probably the best. This is new enough that it isn't visually repulsive, and old enough that they will run well on anything. The design choices are right out of the 90s though, expect to roll your eyes a few times. These concepts were once fresh and exciting, but no more.

Anniversary is the second. It would be great, except they ruined the t-rex fight with quick time garbage. It is challenging however, so that's a plus. Underworld is more of the same, not quite as good to me, mainly because it starts with an underwater sequence which I always despise.

The new ones you should already be familiar with. They are fairly terrible. I say this with the understanding that all tomb raider games are actually terrible.

1-4 are the best, 3 is my personally favorite with all of the crazy locales you end up going to

Chronicles/Angel of Darkness are where it got kind of fucky for a while

Legend/Anniversary/Underworld are a decent three-run of games

The new games only appeal to people who have never played a TR game before and grew up playing all of these new boring third person games with INSTINCT VISION I CAN SEE THRU WALLZ or whatever it's called in the next installment

but

the new games are good for the ryona, not sure if Rise of the Tomb Raider has an abundance of explicit deaths but they were bountiful in the 2013 one and I made sure to let Lara die at every possible place

it was an okay effort, but I mostly remember it for having a lame story and being scripted as fuck

anniversary and underworld were better TR games

I thought it was 3 because of the Nevada and London levels.

That game was so bad. Almost as bad as the 2013 tomb raider.

The original 4 are all great. Anniversary is great. Legend and Underworld were good.

Angel of Darkness sucked and I haven't played the new ones.

ive never seen them as tank controls honestly. they can be kind of clumsy and it's a pain in the ass not being able to control the camera, but thats only because dual analogs were not a thing when the games were released so you can't really fault the games for that. to me theyve always just been prince of persia/another world/flashback/abes oddysee style platforming controls but in 3D. a heavy emphasis on momentum and latching onto ledges

that said, AoD is dire and the controls are genuinely fucked in that game. lara moves like a 400 pound man with cum in his eyes

Honestly the first 4, especially the first 3, games are so mushed together in my mind and memories that I can barely tell from which game any given area/level is.

One of my favorite levels is the whole cannibal and dinosaurs exotic island that I think is from 3.

>The first six are roughly decreasing in quality as you go along

That is objectively untrue. 1, 2 and 3 kept getting better and better.

I know that 2+3 are good, that's why I said roughly

1 can't be compared to the others, it created the entire concept

and they kept using the same graphics engine, which means nothing now, but at the time it just kept getting uglier relatively, and still had bad controls

It was good, I'll give you that much. But GOAT? Nah

PS1-era, because of the presence of actual puzzles, and platforming required patience and practice instead of just pushing forward and holding down a button.

good taste

Hey, even with its flaws I liked it

Legend because it has the best Lara.

I like the first three equally. Last Revelation is ok but I hate that it only has one setting. Chronicles is mediocre, same as AoD.

Legend is good. Anniversary is fantastic. Underworld is okay but rushed as hell.

The new ones are good, but too different. RotTR was an improvement and I honestly liked it.

ahh 1.... that was the good shit

what if they put out more blocky tomb raider just for shits and giggles.... think it'd do well?

how old is Lara in Legend?

tombraider.wikia.com/wiki/Lara_Croft_(Legend_Timeline)
>Birth 14th February (early to mid 1970s)
Around 30 I think.

best Tomb Raider coming through

II, Chronicles, Legend.
2013 was complete garbage. Didn't play 2016

good lord that image is hot, she's truly perfect

first four are great, chronicles was mediocre, don't care for the rest

I played 2,3 and AoD as a kid but when I picked up anniversary a couple years ago I was fucking blown away, Level design in every game gives me such a fucking architectural stiffy. When all the games were on steam for £15, I fucking pounced on that shit.

why was it garbage? it was pretty good, just different.

What about the extra levels for 1 2 and 3, the scotish castle in the lost artifact was a'wonderful maze.
The level in the aleutian islands was huge and desolated. Hard to forget with that monk in a cage that you can set free.

I was just going to make a thread about which Tomb Raider is worth downloading when this thread pops up.

Anyway, I played with the 2013, it was alright I guess. Today I was just browsing the Myanmar wiki when I realized Lara does visit some Asian countries, so it might be worth checking out them.

Extremely dumbed down puzzles, no sense of wonder from exploration of ancient ruins. Lara Croft's character was completely burchered by (((Rhianna pratchett))). Didn't care about a single character for the whole game.
Most of the gameplay literally consists of shooting dudes in the face in Uncharted style... (basically Uncharted clone)
For better understanding what an advanture game should look like i can point to a glorious Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb game.

4 would have been the best if it had a mansion, otherwise it's 2 or 3 imo.

That part is amazing, you expect the scion down there but there's huge statues in an enormous room. Discovery in that game as a whole is fantastic

2>1>3>TLR>Anniversary>Legend>Underworld>2013>>>>>>>>>>>>>AOD

Haven't played Chronicles or ROTTR

Have you read the interview with the creator of nu lara? It's awful she doesn't even know her source material

The Asian one is Tomb Raider 2 in China and Tibet, I would recommend checking it out

2013 was the first one I remotely cared to play. Finally a Tomb Raider that isn't dumb fanservice bullshit. I haven't played Rise yet because my PC is a bit behind the curve but if it's more of what 2013 brought to the table I'm sure it's good.

There is next to no fanservice in the old tomb raider games, the reboot has tons of fanservice what are you talking about

>Wanna emulate TR1
> Tomb Raider [U] 1.6
>56 fucking bin files
>Running the first one takes me to a menu with TR1, Chicken Run, and Timesplitters

what the fuck

When you first enter the main room in the budhist temple.

ignore the squeenix shill

Bullshit, you're gonna tell me this game with the oversized polygonal tits isn't fanservice? 2013's about a brave girl on a journey. It's more realistic.

A few years ago I would just know right away that this was trolling, but I can't even tell anymore.

He's being too obvious now

It's not trolling. I am completely fucking serious. Old Lara Croft was just a sex object, it made me want to vomit. 2013 was finally something different.

I could tell when I saw this badass picture that it was finally what I wanted from Tomb Raider - what it always should have been.

Agreed, it's kind of fixed in Rise.
Lara is okay, it's the story that's shit. Characters are awful.
Gameplay is infinitely better than Uncharted.

See, I went into rise thinking it would bring tombs back because everyone was like OH WOW TOMBS ARE BACK. but after the beginning it was exactly the same as 2013, just in siberia

>Old Lara
>Smart, educated, strong, independent, self-actualized woman
>But she's attractive so she's just a sex object

>Nu Lara
>Bumbling idiot that gets almost raped at every turn
>Still attractive but with smaller tits
>Somehow not fanservice in your shitty opinion

2 is my personal gotc,but I like 3,4,5, and even the last one a little

She has more cleavage in 2013 than all of the other games combined

Look how you went right to the small tits thing. As if a girl can only be interesting if they have massive breasts. Fuck you, legitimately.

He's arguing with your logic
[Spoiler]I know it's bait[/Spoiler]

But that's true.

Chestlets aren't even real women fucking lmao

The original Lara in the first TR literally rejected a life of comfort and a planned marriage to seek adventure and for that she got disowned and became rich again writing books about her adventures.

She should have been a feminist icon if anything.

There you go again. A "real woman."
TR2013 Lara is the realest woman we have ever seen from this pitiful series. Not a cartoon caricature.

3 was best.
Huge levels with branching paths, amazing OST and the graphical upgrade.
Those colorful lights added so much atmosphere.

Chestlets, when will they learn. Is so fun when they go into surgery lol. Like you be better trying in your next live

Why must every tomb raider thread devolve into this argument?

The problem is how slow everything is. Climb up a ledge, gotta wait, take a step back, gotta wait, it makes platforming feel so unresponsive and exhausting. But maybe my problem is that I grew up on Mario 64.

That's why I prefer Legend/Anniversary. Much nicer pacing.

The feminists were right

When will they learn?

Das' rite! Tell him! I'm sure he hasn't even checked his privilege yet.

I understand the hate 2013 is getting, but if you play it without detective vision and map, it's pretty fucking good on its own.
Maybe it's my inner weeb speaking though.

>The Wreck of the Maria Doria

I like the design of the level, but I feel there are too many of those levels

>deep sea levels

>jaws traumatized me as a kid
>get to 40 fathoms

>Maybe it's my inner weeb speaking though.
...What does that have to do with TR2013? Just the fact that the setting is Japan? It's not very anime though, and the developer is American.

>there are not enough harpoons to deal with underwater enemies
My only gripe with that part, especially considering that you get attacked by divers who have no qualms or ammo concern while they shoot you.

haha

choke on shit

>all those memorable levels

>no soundtrack but a heartbeat

If there's one thing that keep haunting me from those games is the CRACK sound Lara did when falling from too high and dying

[zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun]

*menacing stomping*
UAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHH

How did those guys carry Marco's limp body across all that shit?

They had the dagger.

this shit was terrifying, just listen to this

youtube.com/watch?v=j1-w8N1BLpM

Buh muh tits muh sexual object

That fucking kill animation where they would swing Lara by her hair and smash to death

>the giant spiders in TR2

It's not like Buh muh tank controls muh stiffiness is much better.

Son, you need to play the originals.

That's what SJW culture is all about. Projection, projection and more projection.

how many of you missed this during your first playthrough?
I think I discovered it like a decade after I first played the game

How can you miss a giant ravine you have to glide over?

you don't have to go down there to complete the level

never thought of going down there though