You just threw 100 bucks in the trash and now all your effort and hard work will go to waste as your game will never...

You just threw 100 bucks in the trash and now all your effort and hard work will go to waste as your game will never get in the store because of the new 5k fee edition.

>quality control
>when you can just pay to get whatever garbage you want in the store
>small teams with budgets, marketing teams and publishers are now the only "indies" Steam will accept.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/greenlight/discussions/18446744073709551615/133256758580075301/
undertowgames.com/barotrauma/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw always planned to release my game for free so I'm not affected in the slightest

What will all my favorite YouTubers let's play now that Steam Greenlight is shut down?!

5k!? So gabe truly is phasing out greenlight after all. Based gabe

That's not a big deal, you're not gonna finish your game anyway, chill the fuck out.

Wait, what happened with greenlight?

Even if you are, just hold a kickstarter and put the money from it on there anyways, its not that hard of a thing.

if I am to understand OP, they charge 5k to get onto the store, instead of 100$ like it used to be.

Get fucked OP, then go back and design something that's not clearly YouTube bait or subpar pixelshit.

Oh man now my Pixel "Art" Rogue-like Randomly Generated RPG won't sell

>New Kickstarter Campaign!
>Please help me get my game on Greenlight

greenlight is kill.
instead, any game can go on steam as long as you pay them 5000 burgers.

Damn, 5k would be pretty hard for me to save up for a first time game. Indie devs are going to have to crowdfund just to make it appear on the store.

GabeN has stated multiple times he doesn't like greenlight because of the trash, so this is probably the start to a few changes we'll see to greenlight's system

Except now there's no need to have approval from the community (or valve for that matter), all you need is to pay up and you can get your game on Steam.

Valve
>We're looking at introducing a few for submissions varying between 200 and 5000 dollars dependent on developer circumstance

Hundreds of people who have literally never made a game
>HOLY SHIT I'M GOING TO BE CHARGED FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS GG JEWS

Is there a more autistic faction

>game must sell a lot now or I'll literally lose money
>instead of making something good that'll get people's approval, I make shit that'll sell fast and easy with minimal budget
>shitty YouTube bait or subpar pixelshit galore as there's nothing stopping them from flooding the store

don't worry they'll get plenty more games to play now

You understand incorrectly
They are going to put a per-game fee instead of a one time fee

They said it would cost anywhere from 200 to 5000 depending on circumstance

>removing bare minimum quality control for "gib shekels 2 sell" will improve the store

>implying they give a shit about costumers and won't charge maximum price at least

game would sell good if it's good pal

if it's niche then maybe steam isn't where it belongs

Good, now if retards want to put out shit products they can enjoy their none existent financial returns.

Or 200

>game must sell a lot now or I'll literally lose money
Woah. That's almost like any other project ever.

>lose at absolute worst 100 bucks combined from all games sold
>lose up to 5k PER GAME now when there's a lot of good games that barely make half of that

This isn't for customers, it's essentially a monetary captcha for developers. They specify it is reimbursable so they don't even take their publishing fee until the Dev recoups the cost. Checkmate atheist, sorry you can't spam pixel shit to greenlight anymore

Reminder that SJW's are upper class white people and as such are going to be pretty much the only ones able to pay the upfront fee.

Good, I'm sure whatever piece of shit you've thrown together isn't worthy of steam

>If I want to publish to the biggest digital distribution platform on the PC, I need to have a viable business plan????
Wow who knew

> upper class white people

Jews ain't white bro.

Even with Steam's 30% cut, someone would only have to sell 715 copies of a $10 game to break even.

That's like Brianna Wu numbers. If you can't match that, it's time to close up shop.

Lmfao @ attempting to bring out the ol sjw boogeyman again to try and get people to bandwagon onto your shit cause

What's wrong with construct?

The fee is reimbursable, steam does not take it's cut until you make back the fee

that can go two ways,

either they only take the money if the game sells more, which'll do jack shit to improve the quality, or they only take the money if the game sells less than the amount, which is something that won't fucking happen

>having money in a scene that's all about not having thousands of disposable income is having a viable business plan

Listen dudes; don't bother with Steam anyhow. You can get a better return with mobile games with a niche feature or mechanic and some decent art.

5 thousand dollars is really not a lot of money. Lower class citizens spend this kind of cash every day while being on welfare.

it's garbo

>let's compete with the million shithole companies churning out games with 0 creativity or decency

>be good at making music and programming
>want to get into making phone games
>nobody will listen to your game music on a phone
>be shitty at drawing

well there goes the dream i guess

>either they only take the money if the game sells more, which'll do jack shit to improve the quality, or they only take the money if the game sells less than the amount, which is something that won't fucking happen
I think you must be fundamentally confused about the nature of reimbursable fees because what you've described makes literally no sense.

Here's what happens: there is a fee to get published.

>You pay the fee

You're published, now you are seeking your game. To reimburse you for the fee, steam does not take a cut of the sales you make until you have made back the cost of the fee

>You make back the cost of the fee

Now steam takes its usual cut from all future items

As opposed to competing with this shit?

I remember when the steam "upcoming releases" tab used to have at most like 4 pages and they were 90% real games

it's better than fighting against the entire country of china and india combined.

glad YOU had to explain it instead of the ones responsible for this bullshit.

To clear this shit up,

Steam realized Greenlight is busted and got abused to hell and back.
Now they want to swap it with an other system called 'Direct' which you'll need 100 - 5000 dollars to get your game on there.
It probably will have other changes but that's the main one that got announced.

Seems like Valve likes to use "We'll just try" strategies since this shit was predictable from the start. Same with the >Paying or mods fiasco.

For the bare minimum investment you make to get into mobile, it really is easy to make money. I don't think you understand how fast people go through the store; users are installing and uninstalling games constantly. All it takes is a few users to play it for it to get anywhere.

The bigger question is: What'll happen to the people already on greenlight?

Auto-approved? Thrown to the trash? Or will they just stop people from registering new games?

>Casual
>Zombies
>Retro
>RPG
>>Story Rich
>2D
>Pixel Graphics

RPG? WHERE?

The only real RPGs on Steam right now are either RPG Maker, or Undertale.

>its garbo

Care to elaborate?

steamcommunity.com/greenlight/discussions/18446744073709551615/133256758580075301/

>If you paid the Greenlight Submission Fee and don’t have any Greenlit titles, you can get a refund of your Greenlight Submission Fee.

>mobile games

>responsible for this bullshit
there's been no official announcement.
as usual, this is a bunch of autists leaping onto a single offhanded statement made in a casual interview that wasn't focused on the subject, and every time it gets reposted it is more exaggerated and belligerent

it's just worse GMS

what is makes an rpg real

your eyes

how can rpgs be real if our eyes aren't real

Don't go telling him lies user

Welp, I've been planning on submitting my game on Greenlight in a few months, but I guess I'll just slap together a trailer in the next few days and submit it asap.

Oh, that's nice then.

I didn't think they'd refund donation money.

>new 5k fee
Gabe just made steam great again

Worse how? I'm sorry if I'm getting on your nerves, but I'm just really curious. Badly optimised code? Shit graphics? Shit UI? No platform support? What?

>no official announcement

>Being happy to get less choice in your life
fucking
literal
slaves

Don't do it. The average greenlight game takes like 3 months to get greenlit, and in that time Direct will probably go live. You'll just waste money and time, and probably get a headache from all the refund bullshit.

Just overall worse, there's a reason no one uses it instead of GMS

lmao at @sjw false flagger only triggering his own side.

Maybe Sup Forums will be a little nicer to kickstarters since you basically have to do a kickstarter just to get your steamdirect going

It's nice to see that Gaben is still making steam worse day by day. I'm ashamed to have 98% of my pc games on it.

wasn't that the SS13 but on a submarine game

Also, all the C2 shit.

GMS2 might be a thing, but at least the first version was good enough.

Sounds good to me. None of you read the announcement as predicted.

Retards.

oh wow so I clicked through and read what they said and the literal quote is this

>The next step in these improvements is to establish a new direct sign-up system for developers to put their games on Steam. This new path, which we’re calling “Steam Direct,” is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.

>While we have invested heavily in our content pipeline and personalized store, we’re still debating the publishing fee for Steam Direct. We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we’d like to gather more feedback before settling on a number.

TL;DR
>fee is recoupable
>there is no decided upon number
>they polled devs for a reasonable fee and got responses ranging from $100 to $5000
>they are looking to figure out what to settle on based on feedback
>if you submitted to greenlight you get your money back now

so pretty much yeah
kneejerk autism ITT

At least they're willing to experiment a bit.
Greenlight had a decent number of genuinely good stuff but the garbage vastly outweighed it all.

Fair point, but looking at the quality of the average greenlight game I'm quite confident that mine would get greenlit faster. The game also has tens of thousands of downloads already and a somewhat active player base.

>The fee is reimbursable, steam does not take it's cut until you make back the fee
That's speculation. They said the fee is recoupable. Recoupable can mean anything. Pull your game so you get your cash back also mean recoupable.

Steam needed this. More games were released on Steam in 2016 than all of Steam history prior to 2016.

Oh well, then do it if you can take the risk of just losing 100 bucks.

By the way, where did you put it up to have that many downloads?

You really think trash games make no money?

Fucking retards pretty much opened the door to filling Steam with even more shit bait titles because most of those devs gathered enough money from it to actually get automatically allowed to publish their other cash grab.

I've already paid the $100 fee months ago, so that's not an issue.

>By the way, where did you put it up to have that many downloads?

undertowgames.com/barotrauma/

This change only serves indie developers who already have a reputation and/or a publisher. It ignores younger developers and those living in poorer countries where $1000-5000 is a significant amount of money.

This may also encourage publishers to offer to pay the distribution fee in return for a higher cut from sales, publishers such as Devolver Digital see high demand from indie devs and have to be very selective, there's high competition, so this solution isn't feasible, and even if it were, it just leaves the devs with less money to support future projects.

Another solution I've heard is to use other platforms such as GoG or Humble. Steam is the most popular platform to distribute on and will reach the largest audience, the first few weeks of exposure is crucial to a games success. Releasing on a not-so-well known platform compared to Steam will kill any initial traction.

The potential $1000-5000 distribution fee is a huge risk for many, it puts entire countries of developers at a disadvantage, and discourages younger developers from entering the games industry.

I feel that the initial fee should be no more than $200. If the developer releases another title soon after, say within a year, the fee increases to $500, then $1000 if another title is released soon after that. If however the first release sells well and receives good reviews, then the fee stays at $200. This keeps costs low for serious developers, while also reducing shovelware.

>mfw making mobile game
>mfw making shit for free

>this is an interesting topic, but how do my politics relate to this?

Good

Ah, your own site, got it.

Those are some cool paragraphs dude

To be honest. If I am not confident that my games will ever make at least $10k, I won't working on it.

If 5K is keeping you from publishing a finished game then you're a fucking moron. If you have a finished product, and need that little amount of money you could walk into your own bank and give them a pitch for a small personal loan.

Or you can use another service that isn't cancer, or you can use one of the many faggot crowdsourcing scamsites.

"wahhhhhh five-thousand dollars!!!!!!" How do you people even tie your shoes in the morning, wtf.

>Goat Simulator
>"Open world survival simulator"
>WarZ
>Bad Rats
>[ ] Simulator [CURRENT YEAR]
In what universe?

you seem like a faggot

i don't necessarily agree with all of your points, but overall this is a good post

quite happy that they've made it more expensive, garbage, forever in beta 'survival' games filled with bugs and are quite clearly youtuber bait.

ark, subnautica, stranded deep and now conan are examples of lazy attempts at reaching the rust market

>My parents are rich

FTFY

Or I'm not a jobless faggot too braindead to figure out how to get an insignificant sum of money when it comes to any kind of business with returns.

>it puts entire countries of developers at a disadvantage, and discourages younger developers from entering the games industry.
user

If you don't have $1000 for publishing then your game is almost certainly shit.

Face the facts.

There's a scant few of these people you're defending that are great programmers, artists, and musicians. Almost every one of them had to shell out and pay for these services and can afford to put their game on Greenlight.

Who it fucks are the pixel devs that scratched out some bullshit at a game jam and want your money.

>games that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies
>prohibited by this
I think ark has even outsold rust

nice dream

>I don't why people are indie devs in the first place
We got real retards right here.

>Lower class citizens spend this kind of cash every day while being on welfare.

>People on welfare
>ever having more than $1,000 saved up at a time

If you can't even complete a sentence you should probably refrain from calling people retards. You retard.

Not those anons. Care to elaborate? I might be a retard since I don't get what you mean. I do want to know.

absolutley disgusting

I've been on welfare for a few years now, and $5K is an absurd amount of money to me.

I only get $700/month, and $400 of that goes to rent while $170 goes to pay for internet. That leaves me with $130 each month for food or saving.
If I only ate $30 worth of food a month, it would take me a little over 4 years to save up $5,000, and thats if I never spent any money on anything that whole time and lived on rice.