Valve boss Gabe Newell still thinks you should pay for game mods

venturebeat.com/2017/02/10/valve-boss-gabe-newell-still-thinks-you-should-pay-for-game-mods/

>“The Skyrim situation — well, it was a mess,” he said. “It was not the right place to launch that, and we did some hamfisted things in the way we rolled it out. But the fundamental concept that the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value is pretty important.”

>I also asked Newell and Johnson if they think Steam would have paid mods by now if they didn’t have the Skyrim blemish in their past.
>“I think we would’ve,” said Newell.

Looks like Gabe's gonna try and fuck us again on paid mods sometime in the future because hey Valve and publishers need another revenue source from doing nearly zero extra work on their part

Other urls found in this thread:

translation.steampowered.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Modders absolutely need to get paid
after the bullshit filter
>we absolutely need more money for doing absolutely nothing

Just let this fat greedy fuck die already.

All he ever did was a one time hit and now they jew everyone out on virtual guns and clothing. Fuck.

I wish all the "gaben is god xD" kids dies or catch cancer as well.

i hope to see the day when steam goes bankrupt

WTF i love Gabe now

This is the kind of shit that makes me want to stop investing any more money in steam.

This shit is downright evil.

>modders need to get paid so we can get a slize of that cake
FUCKING FAT GREEDY GABE WHERE IS HALF LIFE 3 ?

The DotA2 model works for custom games. It's more of a "tip" and in order to promote the dev supporting it in the long term, you pay a small amount each month. If they stop updating it, you stop your tips.
It's almost like Valve like to try innovative business models that could very well be common place in the future and beneficial to the mod scene.

and he's right.

look at it like this: you order a pizza and pay full price for it. when it gets delivered you can't start demanding a free soda and extra ingredients from the delivery guy, you have to pay EXTRA for it. you don't question that, you just do it.

b-but muh gayben

I have nothing against modders getting paid.

I have everything against developers, publishers and distributors getting a cut of that money for making a game so shit/broken that it needs mods to fix it.

>make a good game
>get 60$
>make a shit game
>get 60$+cut from the unofficial mod/patch to fix it

I mean it's beyond retarded.

the pc modding scene is dead though

When will that whale roll over & die already?

Shill

Food analogy retard shill

Even reddit is mad over this. He ig ored all the reasons why paid mods are a terrible idea and tried to virtue signal bullshit about modders gettig paid - forgetting to mention they only get a fucking 30% cut of the sales. Gabe takes 30 and bethesda was taking 40.

Fuck, gabe is so god damn out of touch it hurts. Everythi g since paid mods has been a disaster for steam and valve. #Free2GD

>This shit is downright evil.
Giving people an option to market their own work is downright evil?

I don't think any of you actually have even the slightest clue what this whole thing means or implies.

Valve is going to kill modding for everyone if they start putting prices on mods.

Look what happened with TFC. It was free for years and as soon as they slapped a price tag on it, it completely died.

What did he mean by this?

Yeah dude, you got me.

I think his fat ass should eat more salad. We can't always get what we want.

>the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value
>publishers need to reward the people who already bring them more revenue by adding value to their games
Fixed.

Just making up an excuse to increase ancillary revenue.

They're gonna kill modding just like they killed custom servers.

They employ shit skinned ragheads that cant even get theough a homeland security check?

>best if not THE most important reason mods are so great is because they are free content
>DUDE LETS MAKE PEOPLE PAY FOR THEM LMAO
Also given how many shitty games get green lit, does anyone expect people not to steal free mods from Nexus and upload them to steam? after all why would Valve control this stuff when it means less money for them.

Applying a travel ban to permanent residents with green cards who have lived here legally for years is the kind of retarded thing you do if you have no idea how the immigration system of the country you run works.

agree

You people are quite literally retarded. Fun fact: Paid mods are and have been a thing for well over a decade. Actually gave birth to some of the more interesting modern-day smaller studios and projects. Like, say, E.Y.E.

You people really have no fucking clue what is going on here. And it's kinda sad, since you are the people who are supposed to be more aware of what is going on in the industry.

and what will he do?
steam and publishers want their fat slice of cake, cant sell shit that goes against copyright (so no crossovers mods), and they need to be constantly updated.

You know what? do that, jack up the prices, put expensive shitty paid mods, use denuvo or always online so you cant pirate them.
as it is now, PC gaming can die

Good thing that didnt happen then.

Also, reminder that Valve has people do translations for them for free because hey why pay people for their work?

translation.steampowered.com/

Fuckers

Gas the kikes
Race war now

Gaben is a fallen angel

How about you and the other fucking publishers pay the modders who keep your shitty games alive? Fuck you Gaben

>Modders absolutely need to be paid
And by that he means paid 30% while Valve takes a 70% cut for hosting and distributing the mods?

Seriously, what the fuck happened to Gabe? How can we go from the saviour of PC gaming space to EA levels of corporate jewery?

Fuck off, the analogy is totally retarded, at best you can say that the soda and the extra ingredients are DLCs because they are officially sold by the restaurant that made the pizza.
Paying mods would be something like putting some ingredients you have at home on your pizza and having to buy the restaurant for doing it.

So can I still offer mods for free?

If so what's the big deal?

>Oh no, devs and publishers get a part of the profit somebody makes of the modifications of their work. How horrifying!

Guess what, you can't sell mods at all right now, unless you want a cease and desist letter in your mailbox.

I agree modders deserve some compensation for their work, after all they sometimes put the pros to shame. But the way Valve wants to implement it so that THEY reap most of the profit from it not the modders, and that is just unacceptable

>Release game
>Break minor parts of game with update
>Sell mod that fixes these issues

|
|>
|
|

Daily reminder even reddit once back then was completely fed up of his bullshit.

Do not forget about it.

>Giving people an option to market their own work is downright evil?
Modders always had the option of asking for donations for supporting their work though.

>"Option"
Oi goyim, we give you a chance to market your own work. We take 30% cut. Bestheda takes 45%. You will get a generous cut of 25%.

I would be kind of OK if modders got 75%-80% of the money and valve/publisher split the rest. That's not going to be the case and I think even 50% going to the modder is optimistic.

Even with paid mods there will be a bunch of free mods as well but yeah it would be a more shitty situation overall.

Or maybe you shouldn't buy broken games in the first place.

>So can I still offer mods for free?
Yep. The idea is that modders can market their skills, not that they must market them.

>If so what's the big deal?
People. Are. Retarded.

it'll turn into greenlight 2.0 but for mods

>I'm mad because I have to start paying for content

do you understand that this is what killed PC gaming in the first place? It will kill modding too once mod makers realize they are appreciated more by the console market.

The idea of paid mods isn't awful in theory. It's just a fucking nightmare in practice.

Having some third-party making a fullblown expansion to a really old game; which they then can be compensated for, is really cool. It's just sooooo fucking open to exploitation and the legalities of it all is fucking insane.

They don't seem to understand that the reason the mod community works is because shit is free. The moment you make mods a product you erect a bunch of walls that fuck with the free exchange aspect of it, so compatibility patches, tweaks by other modders, compiled mods etc go the fuck away. During their Skyrim fiasco, some modders immediately pulled their shit from free modding communities in order to get a payday (the SkyUI faggot being the main case) and fucked over a lot of people whose mods depended on theirs. The whole thing caused a lot of bad blood.

Jesus chris were reaching level of jewry that shouldn't even be possible

>translation.steampowered.com/
>PIRATE 15%
What

>someone can take your hardwork and profiyt from it
>not a big fucking deal

kill yourself

Found it on FOXNEWS just so you couldn't claim it was fake news.

But the workshops are already flooded with cheap and effortless trash. Wont make much of a difference now if that trash has a pricetag on it. I wont download it either way.

Looking forward to the first case of a patch fucking up a popular, expensive mod and the creator is unable or refuses to update it.

Dude, I presume you have no fucking clue how creative industry works? Also, you are using someone else's assets and tools, you are taking advantage of their work in yours. I'm pretty sure most modders will be fairly happy with 25% cut of the profits, which is a whole lot more than they were getting before, where actually trying to get anything out of it resulted in cease and desist letter.

Sup Forums shitposter Anonymous thinks Gabe Newell should stick a rake up his anus.

The snack room doesnt fill itself also owning your own forge is expensive

Well of course he would. He stole DoTA from a warcraft 3 mod and made people pay for it.

>If so what's the big deal?
The big deal is that, as always, Valve gets a big chunk of the profit. It's split 3 ways between the publisher/developer of the game, Valve for hosting the file, and the modder.

IIRC when they tried this last time Valve took a 30% on the Skyrim mods.

It's obviously just another way for them to make money with no liabilities on them. Just look at steam greenlight: the community fucking does everything and Valve does nothing except have an automated process that puts games up and they still take a decent chunk of your money.

lul what are some better alternatives?

>someone can take your hardwork and profiyt from it

You mean like the modders taking money for the modification of someone elses work?

>fox news is a reliable news source

If you remember the days of Half Life modding, or even Half Life 2 modding, there were some incredible fucking mods being made. I would be more than fine with paying for a mod on the level of quality of something like Dystopia.

we kicked his ass once and we'll do it again XD us gamers, right?

no but seriously i guess valve wants to get curbstomped again

If I recall correctly, the modder himself got absolutely no money on a single transaction. He got payd only if he reached a certain weekly/monthly threshold and the money valve got was far higher than 30%. It was insane.

mods fucking work because they're transformative and parody works without lucrative aims.
paid mods are called dlcs and expansions directly made by the developers.
how can he be so out of touch? does he think about his bs?

>Make a mod
>Some asshole steals it and puts it up
>I have to go through a lot of hassle to verify my work every time I make a mod, which changes the scene into an exclusive one

>My mod can no longer work implement other mods or work with them due to copyright issues
>So unless I get cooperator with every other modder that my mod uses, the scope of my work is greatly reduced

There's a lot of flaws here that Valve is ignoring for a quick buck.

Either: You are legally not allowed to profit from your work.
Or: You are allowed to profit from your work, but somebody else will take a cut from it, because after all, your own work was rooted in their work in the first place.

Yeah, I think I know which one I would chose. From the perspective of modders, this is not even a fucking contest: being legally allowed to make profit vs. not being able to make profit is not a fucking rocket science decision.

>link to CNN, NPR, or any other source of credible journalism
>LOL FAKE NEWS LIBRUL PROPAGANDA DON'T CARE

He linked to Fox News because it's one of the few sources Republitards won't question.

When the well becomes poisoned with money everything goes to shit. We already saw what happened with Skyrim, and I'm not even talking about the bullshit cut modders got for payment

Modding in many cases is built on other people's work in the scene. People work together, using other mods to help improve their own work. That communal cornerstone of modding goes away if people start to take and use other people's mods to earn a profit (good luck properly policing that from good old hands-off Valve). Also is sure is gonna be great paying for a product with no assurance of continued support of that product after game patches and potential clashing with other mods. Valve wants to treat mods like DLC and it's not fucking DLC

>Dude I totally know how the creative industries work
>Modders totally get cease and desist letters man
Alright. Name a PC mod that got C&D.

>donations are the same as being paid
>you should have to pay the car company that made the car that you're getting painted by third party because they made the car

kill yourself

Well if I link washington post or associated press he can just shout fake news and pretend legal residents returning home weren't turned away by the travel ban. I had to pick something that leans right but wasn't infowars.

Actually he's right
If mods are source of revenue, publishers will have the incentive to create modding tools for more games

>MODDERS SHOULD BE PAID BECAUSE OF THE COMMUNITY (but only if we get a big share of the $$$ pie)

>NOW HURRY UP AND TRANSLATE OUR SHIT FOR FREE

The proper term is "alternative facts"

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SO FAT YOU LOOK AT VIDEO GAMES AND SEE FOOD?

Mod support helps sell games on the PC. The publisher/dev already got their fair share through increased game sales

he didn't live there all his life, libtard faggot

Real question: What happened to Gabe?
What broke in him? Was it the success that changed him? Was he always an evil jew in disguise? Or was he taken down and replaced?
Just like 4-5 years ago i would unironically bend over for him, now he's no better than Kotick was back then. He even looks evil in cotrast to the past.

I hope this fat faggot dies and burns in hell.

Right now modders are people who put their free time into working on shit because they enjoy doing so. What's wrong with these guys getting some money for doing that? It can only incite them to put more effort into their content as a whole and who knows, even make a living out of it instead of just slaving away at shit for free.

Steam wants to monetize mods and they don't even have incentive to turn their modding store into fucking not the hottest pile of garbage on the internet.

So please don't give me that excuse.

>remember when Sup Forums defended paid mods?
>that didn't happen you are full of bullshit
>Sup Forums is now defending paid mods again

you fuckers hypocrital bastards

Mods are a source of revenue right now, Bethesda basically relies on modders to make their games playable

>Gabe takes 30
That's the standard amount to cover overhead and servers. Every online store does this just to stay operational.

>bethesda was taking 40
There's more room for debate there, but if you think about rationally you're making a derivative work based on their copyright content. They made a deal that would give the person making the derivative a big percentage right off the top. Do you realize how huge that is?

If the modding community really has such a big issue with this, they should build their own game under an open license to ensure that it belongs to the community, or at the very least ensure that their mods are licensed appropriately to prevent people from taking them and selling them.

Isn't that fat kike one of the richest men in the fucking planet? Couldn't he invest some of his enormous paycheck into his company if he needs money that badly? He's set for fucking life.

Gaben is an ass and we will not be working with him again.

i would never pay beth for an interface mod or a community patch
that's stuff that they should have done but didnt
i'll throw some amount of cents to the modder maybe but not to the dev
they got paid already

> hamfisted

Which is why I initially said 'lived here legally for years' and not 'was born here'. That's why they are permanent residents with green cards and not US born citizens.

Don't forget that now modders aren't obligated to update/patch their work. If the game or any other mods/dependencies the mod relies on updates, you're down $20 if the uploader doesn't want to update their mod. Worse if they make a 'new mod' and charge for it.

Modding is supposed to go inline with Valve's stance on community: everyone should work together for a free and open source environment. But I guess Valve's new position is that of hard boiled capitalism so it reflects here..

Probably years of living in an out of touch echo chamber filled with yes men.
Basically the George Lucas effect.

>It's obviously just another way for them to make money with no liabilities on them.

Yes?
And?

You can't sell mods at all right now.
And you are profiting from someone elses work if you do.

This is not some Unreal Engine licensing situation where the end user does the biggest part of the work.

If I make a new weapon for skyrim that's like an afternoon of work and I should know, since I'm currently doing exactly that

But the platform you are building on is the work of a company, which often takes years.
The combat system, the move sets, the animations, the interface to even get your shitty little model into the game, those are all part of their work. But all of these things are necessary to even make your mod work. Shit man, you are even taking advantage of their marketing money by releasing your mod into an established community.

So fuck yeah they are entitled to a part of the cash you are making. You are basically marrying into money when you sell your mods.

donation button

modern valve is karma for idiots ruining tf2 by embracing the cash shop and i love it

those fuckers

see

Why is this greedy fat blob still alive?

>That's the standard amount to cover overhead and servers.
You're delusional if you don't think Valve is making a big profit and really buy into the idea that 30% just barely covers overhead.