Is this accurate?

Is this accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8tfRx7QWUm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you played it as a kid, yes.

Only if it's referring to Bloodborne.

Not really, no. I'm 32, and at the time I clearly had the opinion that Link to the Past was a better game.

I was also playing a lot of Quake and other shooters back in those days, on a recent PC with a 3D card. I actually did notice the abnormally low FPS, and thought it was unacceptable. My Quake-playing friends used to mock OoT for running like shit.

No. While not a bad game it's nothing special either.

It's the miata effect. Nothing about it is spectacular in any way, but everything else better has something wrong with it.

that sticker belongs on Monster Truck Madness 2

I dunno man ocarina of time had great graphics and link was way stronger than id software.

yes

No

Yes. But only if you experienced 1998 not as a toddler.

It was true at the time. Nothing was doing the kind of in-engine cutscenes like OoT on console at the time. Adding a 3rd dimension to puzzle solving was mind-blowing too.

If the image was this one, maybe

>Everything but Quake has been a blight on this industry!

Quakefags are shit and I'm glad Halo usurped your genre.

Nah. Melee, Metroid Prime, DMC3, and F-Zero GX all came out after it and weren't disappointing in the least.

Note that this can be applied to pretty much any Nintendo 64 game.

Not because they were actually good, but because the N64's library was so pitiful compared to the PSX that Nintendo fans had to delude themselves into believing every single N64 title is the absolute pinnacle of their respective genres.

Do note that JRPGs don't count (unless we're talking about how fucking great the SNES was lmao)

OoT is one of those games it feels like everything since has borrowed from. Just like Mario 64, Quake, and Street Fighter II.

Nah. It's good and still holds up but there are plenty more games that I've enjoyed as much as or more than OoT.

I pretty much considered that the best game of all time until I played the original Mass Effect. And then that was topped when I finally got around to Final Fantasy 7.

>mfw finding out the Final Fantasy 7 fags were right all along

Oh really you shit gobbling trash taste faggot?
I'm 31 and at the time OoT came out I played Duke 3D, Half-Life, Quake, MGS, Star Craft, Unreal, Thief, Grim Fandango, Banjo Kazooie, Starsiege Tribes, RE2, F-Zero X, Freespace 1, Fallout 2, Turok 2 and it still, STILL managed to outshine all of those classic masterpieces. God, what an amazing year.

So, yeah, OoT is to this day the only 10/10 game I played and I played thousands of video games.
There is a reason it is hailed and held to such high regard all over the world. The only ones who say otherwise are edgy contrarians and little fagglets born in or after Y2K.

Bloodborne itself was a slight disappointment

Ocarina of Time isn't my favorite game of all time or even my favorite Zelda game. Still, it had a huge impact on me and I feel it set a golden standard for video games. I find myself subconsciously comparing every game to Ocarina of Time, as I think some part of me considers OoT's structure to be perfect and the metric to judge all other games by.

Does that even make sense? It's not even my favorite Zelda game on the N64!

ocarina's a stand-out game on both its console and its console generation

gb2 Starbucks you edgy hipster macposter. No one takes MMfags seriously. You are a running joke.

No

I mean it wasn't even my favorite Zelda.
Hell it wasn't even my favorite Zelda on the N64

Remember how all shooters used to be called Doom-clones? It still feels like we are playing OoT clones. The z-targeting and circle combat was to perfect. It's like inventing the run button again.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can think OOT is a good game.

Or as an adult.

MY man.

I liked majora's mask better, and even then, I like SMRPG more. But i'm also just more of a fan of JRPGs than collectathons/action adventure games.

You zeldafags are fucking delusional. You guys forget that, at the same time, there was Metal Gear Solid, which is far more deep and harder than OoT.

No, it's just nostalgia.

It doesn't hold up nearly as well today.

Ugly ass early 3d graphics
Shit controls
Made for literal children
Annoying sounds

If you played it in the late 90s, sure

Pretty much.
I pity kids who grew up with Nintendo consoles past the 4th generation.

I'm the 32-year-old guy you replied to. Yes, I played the vast majority of those games too, and many more, the year they came out. It was wonderful, wasn't it?

I only mentioned Quake because it was the most relevant to comparing top-tier graphics and performance. HLDM was personally my favorite, though (especially with silly maps and mods after I got used to the base game).

I still didn't like OoT all that much at the time. Sorry.

>Nothing was doing the kind of in-engine cutscenes like OoT on console at the time.
Retard. Mega Man Legends did and it came out earlier. It also had lock on, albeit flawed. But I guess that doesn't count because reasons?

Yeah, and mgs isn't even that good. But it's still a better game than oot. It has controls that don't suck so so bad, an interesting plot, it's not designed for literal children.

>The z-targeting and circle combat was to perfect. It's like inventing the run button again.

Fucking retarded. It was Tomb Raider who came up with lock-on targeting first.

YOU'RE delusional if you think the only people that were impacted by Ocarina of Time were little kids who only had Nintendo growing up.

Just stop posting about it. Ocarina of Time is fashionable to dislike right now. The game has cemented its mark. In my eyes the attempts to criticize it at this point literally TWENTY YEARS after its release is comical.

Suddenly a bunch of anons are of the opinion "oh I'm ____ years old and I've aaaaalways thought it was just okay". It's bullshit.

Most people on this board trying to hurl feces at OoT are either underage, played it for ~1 hour on an emulator that ran it poorly, watched a partial LP of it so they could pretend they've played it to criticize it, or all of the above.

The game is a masterpiece. Plain and simple. It's not the ONLY masterpiece, but it is a masterpiece. A lot of the gamers who got to experience it in its prime just don't play many games anymore or have jobs/lives/etc. You won't find many of those on Sup Forums.

Personally, I'm 24 and played it for the first time in 2011 and it really, really impressed me. It clicked how much other games had taken from that design. I knew I was playing the original.

Hahahahaha

Doesn't the Playstation have its own OoT? I think it was called Final Fantasy VII.

It's totally the case though, the only people who can convince themselves to go back and enjoy this shit are nintendrones.

n64 titles just don't hold up, lot's of snes stuff does, ps1, ps2, but not n64.

How is it a masterpiece, please tell.

It's just a zelda game, they aren't even that good. People just like to fanboy over them.

My dear ex got me this last year, shame it sucked

I'm a little 22 year old whelp who started playing games before he could speak (and remember enough to hold the SNES as my favorite system of all time) and I played OOT as a wee lad on release. Played it for hours and hours on end no doubt, and thought it was a great game alongside my other 64 favorite Mario 64, but after growing older and revisiting it and playing it enough to know it from memory my outlook on it has shifted a little bit. Now, I more fondly remember ALTTP and my favorite 3D Zelda has become TP of all things.

Zelda is still a fantastic game in its own right but don't immediately assume that it's everyone's default favorite. I believe it's both somewhat overrated, but also incredibly hard to find fault in without stupid nitpicks.

>Muh Zelda

Fuck off, you probably have never played any other game or even LOZ games at all, you're just as bad as anyone who thinks Star Wars is the best movie franchise because you haven't watched any other film or even Star Wars itsell.

Yeah fuck good game design, even though that was supposed to be the point of how OoT was meant to be the best game of all time.

Played it in 2003 and wasn't very impressed. Played it again a few years ago and it was excellent. Great atmosphere, great pacing.

youtube.com/watch?v=8tfRx7QWUm8

>A lot of the gamers who got to experience it in its prime just don't play many games anymore or have jobs/lives/etc.

I experienced it in its prime (I'm 28) and I still play vidya just as much and I have no life.

You posted the wrong image, OP

The Legend of Zelda games aren't that good.

Eat shit Quakefag. Your elitism and cane-shaking is more than tired at this point.

There isn't a bad aspect of the game

No, it's not even the best Zelda game.

A Link to the Past is a much better game.

This happened to me with Dark Souls.

Uhh, what about every element of it?
Graphics
Story
Controls
Aesthetic
Sound
Gameplay

Every single one of these has major flaws

>fedoras mask
I bet you didn't even play OoT nor MM when it came out baby.

>Played WW first, loved it so much, felt like Link since I had barely ANY idea of the events in OoT, I think that made it feel more magical somehow
>Played OoT a couple months later, now finding out what happened and the whole Ganon taking over Hyrule and time travel was cool as shit

I think OoT is the better of the two since it brought many new things to the table in terms of 3D Adventure games that no one else had done before in that magnitude, Hyrfule field was fantastic the first time even if it felt empty and not that big to me since I played WW first.

Yeah, no. By no means and standard.

>Graphics
Really damn good for a console in its time
>Story
What's wrong with it?
>Controls
Again, really solid and revolutionary for consoles for its time
>Aesthetic
It looks/feels great
>Sound
Fantastic music, sound design is so good that a literal blind person was able to beat the entire game.
>Gameplay
Be more specific.

>By no means a standard.

Then why did OOT follow the ALTTP formula to a tee, faggot? Can't wait for your vague, generic response since you're probably too young to have played ALTTP itself.

By the standards of story, gameplay, music, art style, and timelessness.

>No postgame
>simple dungeons
>empty openworld
>simple combat
>lock-on mode for baby's
>no depth to storyline at all
>town is boring and empty

It's a 7/10 at most.

The story is fucking shit, it's just an excuse for the game itself. Also, gameplay is very repetitive, you do your first dungeon then that's it, that's your gameplay for the rest of the game. It's also too easy, none of the bosses are remotely close to hard, which is bad because the game really feels epic and makes you wish a real challenge.

I agree

not even that guy, but:

>useless if the main game is good
>you didn't even play it you sperg
>given, but that was an experimental product of it's time
>it's not simple at all, it's easy to understand, sure, but there's a surprising amount of depth to it if you look for it
>well now you're just being retarded
>caring about story DEPTH in games
>just straight up untrue

>you didn't even play it you sperg
Only because they were hard for you, doesn't mean they were for others.

I beat this game a bunch back when it came out but can't remember most of it.
Tried replaying it and really didn't like it, and I usually like older games.
Zelda or OoT at least has always been really over rated IMO.

>Graphics
>in its time
I mean I guess so for early 3d, but it's still ugly as sin. Snes games look better today, the early 3d stuff has really aged badly.

>Story
It's a basic as boring story, with absolutely no depth to speak of? That's also targeted at children. Compare the plot to similar games that were coming out on pc at the time: Classic crpg's like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Fallout 1/2. System Shock 1/2, Deus Ex, honestly compare the writing/story in these games to oot, and tell me with a straight face that oot has better writing/story.

>Controls
>for it's time

>Aesthetic
It doesn't look great

>Sound
>hyah
>hup
>hyah
>hah
>hyyah

>Gameplay
Just doesn't hold up in comparison to modern games.

MM was better

I think SM64 looks better, because even though it isn't as technically advanced it was more stylized to make up for the technical shortcomings.

i like it so far, but it's faaaaar from the greatest game ever. i'm assuming it gets better when "the world changes" (don't know what that means yet)

If you played it when it first came out yes.

It doesn't have a complex story, but it has great lore. Same with Majora's Mask, which makes the distinction even more clear.

only to kids or turbo-normies that didn't played much games in their lives

>muh lore
How much of that lore is actually in the game, easily accessible to the average person?

Also I'm not actually familiar with Zelda lore at all, care to tell me what makes it so amazing? I generally find that "lore" is not a replacement for good writing, but...

Yes, but OoT popularized it.

Sort of how DOOM popularized shooters.

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKITY FUCKING FUCK, ILL FUCKING SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK AND RAM MY MEATY HORSE COCK DOEN YOUR FUCKING THROAT YOU CUM GUZZLING COCK FUCK

I don't any game has ever given me that feel. I do miss the sensation of being a kid and opening a new game. Sometimes looking at the manual got me hyped.

Still think OoT is a 10/10 tho.
This.

You just had to be alive at the time to understand, unfortunately.

PCfags were dying of jealousy, sega fags were shitting their pants. Playstation fags thought it was over for them.....

It was something else. I think all those people are relieved Nintendo doesn't want to be the top dog anymore. They're a scary beast.

Alright, got it, the lore fucking sucks too.

MGS was doing the same thing and came out like a month before OoT as well

This user gets it. Could not put this down when I first played it. Blew through all four scenarios in two days.

I still remember all the hype we had on our block about the new n64 console coming out. I was 5...
But that didn't stop me from playing the first 3d Zelda game which I and my friends and family were also hyped about. Good times.

No. Banjo-Tooie did everything that OoT did but with more interesting and open environments.

>Graphics
Agree, even tho I wouldn't say it's ugly to the eyes or something like that
>Story
It's serviceable, doesn't compare to the PS1 story driven games, but I wouldn't call it a flaw.
>Controls
Nah
>Aesthetic
I seriously want to know what aesthetic flaw does the game has.
>Sound
Soundtrack is amazing, instant classic
>Gameplay
The menus and item selection could have been better, but nothing fatal.

I fail to see what major flaws does the game have.

>No postgame
Agree, even a new game plus would have been better; but I agree with the other guy, it's not really a flaw if the main game is good.
>simple dungeons
Yeh, most of them were a downgrade from ALttP, but still good.
>empty openworld
Agree, a treausre hunt would have been nice.
>simple combat
It isn't really a flaw, Zelda isn't a hacknslash or beatemup.
>lock-on mode for baby's
come on, m8
>no depth to storyline at all
This is true, but like I said, it's serviceable, which makes it better than most games that try to be "deep" (bioshock infinite)
>town is boring and empty
what town?

Not at all, unless you've been completely brainwashed by the people who think OoT is mankind's best creation.

If I have to explain it to you at this point there's no point in trying. There's no point in getting into a back & fourth with and user who's "dug in"

It's not that it was bad at the time, it just doesn't hold up today. Some games from that era do hold up, oot isn't one.

I guess my biggest problem with it is how simple and childish it all is. Like it's a game targeted at kids, and that's fine, but people hold it up as some kind of masterpiece.

Does it have great game design? No. Does it have great artistic merit? No.

fanboy the post. I'm not dug in, I just don't see why people hold it up so highly, when so many other great titles from the same era never come up. I think that the reason is because Nintendo keep milking the franchise, keeping people invested with nostalgia, so they hold it up more highly than other games that don't get modern sequels.

This

At no point did I assume it was anyone's default favorite. I was just praising the work for what it did for 3D action adventure games.

>Sort of how DOOM popularized shooters.
Doom was definitely a milestone for the FPS genre, but Wolfenstein 3D was what popularized shooters after several years of 3D maze games.

I get that the games is overrated, OPs pic being a good example, but:
>Does it have great artistic merit? No
The soundtrack alone has more artistic merit than a lot of today's AAA games.

>Ocarina of Time
>Resident Evil
>Super Mario 64
>Symphony of the Night
>Metal Gear Solid
>Deus Ex
>Half Life
>Silent Hill
>Goldeneye 007
>FF VII

For a generation that has the reputation of being ugly and dated, it certainly produced top notch classics.

These games aren't bad, but pretending that they aren't ugly or dated is crazy.

Only game on there that I would say isn't ugly as sin by modern standards is Symphony of the Night.

It's nice that at least one region has a nostalgia boner for N64.

Ugly? for sure, even SotN sprites don't look that good. Dated? Maybe Goldeneye. The point was that the games were great.