Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kLJDFIwK04M
croteam.com/serious-wednesday-update/#more-5147
youtube.com/watch?v=GN6bYqOlWok
croteam.com/15th-anniversary-serious-sam-second-encounter/
youtube.com/watch?v=eKq_wH1B0pc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you get to shoot lots of stuff with minimal bullshit

So far the level design is better than the other games in the series. Less time wasting more enemy placement and the arenas are good. But im not far in.
Just like all Serious Sam games though
>trap rooms that take more resources than they give
>hitscan

Yeah im currently playing through it now and it feels so much better than FE. The sniper rifle is one of the best additions because i think it makes the hitscan scorpions tolerable

This
No 2deep4u story no stupid mechanics that slow the game down it's just you some guns and a whole lot of enemies to shot.

Serious sam enemy encounters are unreal

The Second Encounter is nothing but bullshit compared to The First Encounter.

> Let's just introduce bottomless pits and make platforming a required element of nearly every level
> while we're at it add a lot more instant death traps
> and introduce new enemies that can instantly kill you

I'm having a much easier time with TSE than TFE and im playing both on serious. TSE gives you more tools and it sounds like you may not be utilizing them. The deathtraps arent that bad and its a game with quick save.
And the enemy designs are great. The way each enemy type requires a specific strategy to beat them and the game keeps mixing them to create awesome fights

I meant in the general sense of the series
The second encounter specifically? I'd say it has more variety compared to the original

BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL MAKE A MOTHER FUCKING EGYPT GAME

HOMY SHIT WHY DO WE HAVE NO EGYPTIAN THEMED GAMES I SHOULDNT HAVE TO RELY ON KNE STAGE FROM MARIO AND SERIOUS SAM FOR THIS

Serious Samurai

i think SE is purely superior to TFE. I just remember levels like memphis or whatever where you're in a shitty grid of block houses and there are hitscan scorpions spawning in every 20 feet. Shit was dumb. Honestly a lot of the last few levels of TFE are very lazily designed.

The first time i used the Serious bomb i thought I forgot to throw it

Good level design

and by level design, I mean enemy placement

As as far as I know, it's one of the first games to try "What if we just throw a bunch of shit at the player" for fps

I've played both games multiple times, I'm confident in my opinion. The new weapons in Second Encounter are nothing but unnecessary. The Chainsaw completely trivalizes Hopper encounters, Flamethrower is crowd control made easy since too many people found it hard to do in the first game, and the Sniper Rifle is the best weapon in the game by a longshot. There are few scenarios where the Sniper Rifle doesn't have a significant advantage over the other weapons. The way it makes so enemy encounters easier by way of not having to use the other weapons turns Second Encounter's difficulty into a black-and-white experience, where you're more likely to die in some gimmick trap room than in an actual battle.

> the deathtraps aren't bad

Good for you, I have to reload the gravity manipulation room half a dozen times to clear it, because skill has no impact on how well you perform in that area.

Balanced weapons that feel and sound great.
Well designed enemies with apparent strengths and weaknesses.
Great sound design let you know what enemies are approaching before you see them.
Light hearted atmosphere that doesn't take itself seriously.
Fun gimmicks and secrets.
Badass bosses with badass music.
Gimmick rooms add fun change of pace on lower difficulties (but can be a huge pain in the ass on higher difficulties).

They just nailed everything perfectly with the second encounter. First encounter was good, but had some flaws and was sometimes monotonous with Egypt everywhere. SS2 had a good level here and there, but was too goofy and had some shitty enemies (fuck you witches + footballers). SS3 was too realistic with Egypt everywhere again, had shitty paced inddor levels, shitty hitscan enemies every-fucking-where, and poor weapon balance and a number of other flaws, but a good level here and there.

>balanced weapons
Definitely don't downplay this. It's one of the games where I want to use every weapon depending on the scenario. No "this weapon is clearly the best"

Which room are you talking about specifically? The one where you bounce from the floor or the one where you are pulled towards the walls and bounce off them? Or is there another i'm forgetting. Because both of those rooms i have a consistent strategy. Also serious bombs exist

As for the weapons you make some good points, but i think the Sniper Rifle is a truly good addition. There was nothing fun about scorpions spawning really far away from multiple directions and you taking 50 damage randomly in TFE. Honestly i dont understand how anyone could find TFE level/encounter design superior. Its so observably flawed. And i'm speaking relatively, i love TFE

>There are few scenarios where the Sniper Rifle doesn't have a significant advantage over the other weapons

No there are numerous. You can only kill 1 thing per second with the sniper rifle. If thats optimal for you, then lol.

>Well designed enemies with apparent strengths and weaknesses.

They're also all memorable as fuck and even the weakest ones will leave an impression.
Meanwhile, I have no clue anymore what enemies I fought in games like Crysis2, Rage, Singularity or Bulletstorm besides some dudes and the occasional mutant or alien.

The one where you bounce off the floor. Using Serious Bombs isn't a valid strategy because enemies are continually spawning, and on higher difficulties you should be saving your Bombs for specific scenarios.

Regarding Arachnoids, at long distances they do almost no damage to you, considering you can hear their bullets hitting the ground around you. First Encounter gave you a variety of ways to deal with enemies at extreme range. You had three different accurate firing weapons, the rocket launcher and cannonballs, or even the pistols if you felt like being stylish. In Second Encounter because the Sniper Rifle exists, it discourages that creativity that the first game allowed.

15 years later and we still have meme threads about Beheaded Kamikaze or Kleer.

[klopping intensifies]

I beat it yesterday just using a minigun. Get the damage buff and shoot everything. Also bouncing backwards while firing the canon straight down works because the ball will stay bouncing for awhile and tear through the enemies. Not sure why serious bomb isnt a valid strat, theres several of them throughout the game and you should be able to complete serious without using them anyway.

Hence why I said, "few", you'd obviously have a hard time clearing the Metropolis stampede with just the Sniper Rifle, but in common gameplay the Rifle is extremely strong compared to the other weapons. It can oneshot 2/3 of the enemies in the game (not that you'd want to use it on smaller enemies like Beheaded or Kleer), with a faster projecticle speed than everything else. They should have cut the bullet supply greatly to compensate for how strong it is.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

>Regarding Arachnoids, at long distances they do almost no damage to you

That simply isnt true. Also don't understand why you're using canon ball or rockets when you can just minigun them. Its the most efficient way to kill them and acts exactly like the sniper except takes longer. Although nailing one with a good canon shot is satisfying. But you can still do that in TSE and its not even optimal in TFE

>Metropolis stampede with just the Sniper Rifle

Metropolis is TFE. When was the last time you played?

Bigger question why is SS3 so shit in comparison?

I hope 4 is a return to form and feels like TSE

I was just giving an example of the kind of scenario where using the Sniper Rifle isn't useful. In Second Encounter there's portions like Valley of the Jaguar, Courtyards of Gilgamesh, and The Citadel where the direction and volume of enemies doesn't make the Sniper Rifle a good choice to use.

Any time enemies are close to you in numbers its not smart to use. And its serious sam so that situation isnt rare. You can do it with skill but when minigun/lazer exists there are just more efficient ways to kill shit.

when are they going to stop with their VR meme games and release 4?

>70% of enemy encounters can be realistically solved with just the revolvers and the knife even on Hard if you know what you're doing

Not enough games with skill-based difficulty, I fucking loved mastering the knife, turned fighting Kleer hordes from frustrating to fun. I really hated how they removed it and the revolvers from SS3, I never used the sledge and the pistol.

I'd imagine they've been working on it and the VR stuff were just side projects. That reminds me i should go back and finish The Talos Principle. Its hard to believe it was made by the same guys

The secrets are a fine indicator of what is wrong with SS3

Maybe 50% of the secrets in TSE was a joke, had a funny line or a powerful weapon, and the rest were random useful/trapped pickups.

EVERY DAMN SECRET IN SS3 IS A BORING AMMO PACK AJFHEHBREJGHR

Also, the new chopper enemy was cancer.

I wish they'd make more Talos Principle.
I'd be fine with another DLC.

It basically started with Croteam almost closing doors in 2008 after they couldn't find a publisher for their military shooter and they barely managed to shove out the two HD remakes thanks to Devolver.

Afterwards they had quite big ambitions for BFE, featuring a time-travelling mechanic through the Sirian Mutilator bracelet that probably would've worked like the dimension-shifting in Soul Reaver but they had to cut it along with the colorful versions of the levels that were set in the past due to budget issues (apparently they only had 500K$) and the Mutilator became a weapon.
In the end they had to make a game with the stuff they had finished like the present day assets, the models from their Doom sequel proposal and a few minor things from T.E.O.R., their cancelled military shooter.

Why was it so good?

I admit that TSE had more varied gameplay and locations, and might even be the objectively superior game, but I still prefer TFE due to the consistent theme and tighter, self-contained feel.

Funnily enough, I prefer Fallout 2 to 1 despite the almost identical situation.

Cause you're a sheep who can't think for yourself

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA yourself.

It's also interesting to note that the original version of the Encounter games was one huge clusterfuck of halfbaked ideas and godawful level designs until they decided to severely cut it down and polish what was left:

youtube.com/watch?v=kLJDFIwK04M

I dunno at the same time tho SE had more frustrating levels. Not because of the combat, just annoying level design. Its a tough choice.

Why don't they make more?

I'd buy a new SS3 map every week if they made it.

>(apparently they only had 500K$)

>a team of weirdo Croatians with zero budget living in a basement still managed to make a game that was more fun than most AAA games and looked much better too

DANNY BOY! A FREAKIN' STAR, MAN.

THAT WAS SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEET

And in TSE too many encounters can be cleared with the Sniper Rifle as the most efficient weapons. It's no that fun to pull it out every time I see a Werebull, Arachnoid, or Reptiloid. The weapon/enemy balance in TSE is so lopsided compared to TFE.

Goddamn such great feeling guns, even in the pre-alpha clusterfuck, I need to replay both encounters. For some reason I prefer the originals to the HD versions, just feel more pure.

I found TSE to be a lot harder than TFE, I remember always being out of ammo and never having safe high-ground to rocket jump to.

>tfw they had to resort to slavery to finish their games
everyone buy more croteam games to end slavery

>Exploring bullshit and slow tedius tasks
>God tier shooting
If only stupid key collecting bullshitt wasn't so awful this would be perfect.

At least they're more honest about it than bigger game companies.

Their core team IS still working on it.
It's just that

a)the games may look simple in their design but there's a lot more to them than just throwing 50 Kleers into a room and calling it a day. - it's one of the reasons why most custom campaigns for the games are of low quality and shit like that furfag campaign from SS Gold was impressive enough to be featured on the disc.
and
b) they are also currently doing a MASSIVE update which includes porting ALL (well, all after Football Glory) of their old games to the latest engine, adding SteamOS/Linux/OSX support for them, much better modding support that lets you create your own weapons, items and better scripts and much more

Meanwhile those VR games they're releasing right now are actually done by a team of only four people.

>they are also currently doing a MASSIVE update which includes porting ALL (well, all after Football Glory) of their old games to the latest engine, adding SteamOS/Linux/OSX support for them, much better modding support that lets you create your own weapons, items and better scripts and much more
[citation needed]

croteam.com/serious-wednesday-update/#more-5147
>Here’s the complete list of Serious Fusion 2017 update features that will become available in ALL of the games, for free:

>All games now support SteamOS/Linux/OSX!
>Split-screen!
>64bit executables
>Support for Vulkan API (DirectX9 is now being removed; so long and thanks for all the bugs)
>Multithreaded rendering
>The new “lightweight” savegame system; savegames are now saved much faster, are very small and stored in the Steam cloud, and savegames still work even if a level is changed in a patch, or if a mod is updated
>Full support for all controllers including Steam controller, PS4 gamepads, all older DInput joysticks
>Proper multimonitor support
>Borderless window support
>Customizable sound outputs
>Proper 3D audio using a proprietary sound-mixer (the same approach as used in the old Classics games)
>Improved physics engine with better handling of character movement
>Texture streaming in all games
>Much better modding support with customizable weapons and items, improved scripting (including better support for scripting networked games)
>Lots of other improvements, optimizations and fixes
>And last but not the least – we will now be able to more easily ship updated code towards all these titles more regularly!

nice

>this was a thing
youtube.com/watch?v=GN6bYqOlWok

Jesus Christ

looks better than the GBA version

>texture streaming

The one thing I hate.

-Memorable and (mostly) well designed enemies that all feel different

-Most of the weapons have a specific use throughout the whole game

-Tons of secrets to help you out

-No bullshit that stop the gameplay (scripted events, forced story etc)

-Light hearted tone with lots of humor

-Modding capability

>Also, the new chopper enemy was cancer
Fucking technopolyps. Make if fly right above the fucking buildings if you don't have a devastator but jesus christ, make it damaged by something and not hitscan.

I feel the same way.

The flamethrower and sniper rifle are great fun, and I love that the Cucurbitos require use of the grenade launcher, but at the same time I remember all those annoying platforming and gravity sections of the South American levels and the downright BULLSHIT enemy placement of Persia. (The Medieval episode was pretty great, can't really think of too much that I didn't like)

If they could make a game that combined the weapon feel of BFE with the variety and color of TSE and reduce the bullshit to a minimum, that would be fucking perfect.

>-No bullshit that stop the gameplay (scripted events, forced story etc)

I liked how when they promoted Talos Principle they actually emphasized the fact that while there IS a story in the game, the people that are looking just for a puzzle game can almost completely ignore it.
Hell, there are also only three moments where the game takes away your controls: the intro, a secret cutscene and the ending.

They've said only small teams are working on VR. The main team is working on 4

>Modding capability
name one (1) serious sam mod

Didn't they announce a sequel?

Sooo, does he spin the minigun by hand?

>Also, the new chopper enemy was cancer.
90% of the new enemies were cancer

-The spiders were okay, actually fun to fight and gave you a reason to use the regular shotgun

-Cloned Soldiers were terrible. Not fun to fight, bland design and hitscan to top it all off

-Space Monkey were just annoying

-Witch Bride was fucking terrible, slowed the gameplay to a screeching halt

-Technopolip was the epitome of cancer, I fucking hate that level after you lose all your shit where you have to fight TWO of them with just a rocket launcher

-Scrapjacks aren't that bad but IMO they could fire a little less frequently. Zumbuls were much better

-Khnums feel kinda cheap. Their fireball does a FUCKTON of damage and is hard to avoid.
Plus it can dodge rockets if it's far away. It also doesn't bleed or have a fun death animation. Overall not bad, but needs some work.

SE had some annoying areas with scorpions as well.

To be honest TFE/TSE scrops are fucking bullshit especially on higher difficulty or multiplayer with extra stats

Serious Sam Kart

I hope they make TSE VR soon
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter is one of the best completed VR game right now.

Because it didn't take itself so serious Y
you stupid fuck

Croteam actually weren't very happy with the cover of TSE but due to time they couldn't change it

croteam.com/15th-anniversary-serious-sam-second-encounter/

when?

I can do you better

Serious Sam Classics - Xbox weapons
Serious Sam HD TSE - SPAS 12 Shotgun
Serious Sam 3 BFE - AA12 Shotgun

can I play SSVR:TFE while sitting down with little room to flail my arms in front of me?

Heh heh heh heh *fwoosh*

They have plans to port all of them to VR.

He never held the minigun right, not even in the games themselves, until BFE.

I really need to check out some VR footage.
Apparently they redesigned and massively nerfed the Witch Bride to be more of a proper enemy instead of a shitty nuisance.

Always bothered me that in first person it's Sam's RIGHT hand holding the forward grip.

Thankfully the minigun in BFE is so good, not just animation/model but also sound and general feel

Yes. It support rotation by touchpad and KB+mouse too.
And locomotion options are nice.

it wasn't

youtube.com/watch?v=eKq_wH1B0pc

Huh

Still, his body needs to be sideways for that to work. Try doing that with your body facing forwards

Ah yes, discount DWTerminator

Always found it kinda charming in a low-budget kinda way how the cover for TFE HD, TSE HD and even BFE just used the in-game models with some details painted over.

I don't understand how he has well thought out videos like the Half-Life and Deus Ex ones but couldn't do the same for Serious Sam.

it followed it's daddys foot stepts the one and only doom 2

he's one of those kids that confuses being bad at a game with the game being bad

I honestly prefer TFE.

Why

jesus fuck who cares about all that shit those games run on potatoes regardless of all that optimization crap

just give me a new game you FUCKS

>dat "gravity" level with extra enemies with 2 friends coop

My dick was the hardest of my life on that day.

All of those same criticisms apply to the original Super Mario Bros. as well, I guess that's also a bad game?

I liked Painkiller way and that actually was a tight arena shooter. Open levels in SS just lead to annoyance.

>able to master the use of the coach gun against Kleers that are already airborne and lunging towards you
Good times indeed.

Still, I didn't liked very well what they did to the SBC Cannon; it used to plow through mobs up until the Major Biomechanoids, but it got nerfed beyond Second Encounter Classic.

He just doesn't like that kind of game, if you bother to watch the video until the end (or was it a later video of him?), he actually says exactly that. You don't have to now, since I've spoiled that for you.

The encounters feel less gimmicky. I agree that half of the levels in TFE are shit, but the other half is gold. TSE is good too, but TFE appeals to me more somehow.

There's nothing tight about a game that consists mostly of melee enemies which you can outrun by mashing space.

Cool atmosphere, though.

For me it was the variety of the locations in the levels.
Going from ancient mayan cities to Babylon and from there to old medeival castles,lava caves etc was really fun and refreshing.

TFE > TSE
TSE overuses the "giant corridors with enemies running at you" gimmick to the point where it loses its value imo