Old thread managed to hit the bump limit...

Old thread managed to hit the bump limit, Gabe planning on being a huge jew on modding again because Valve needs more revenue sources to run obviously

venturebeat.com/2017/02/10/valve-boss-gabe-newell-still-thinks-you-should-pay-for-game-mods/

>“The Skyrim situation — well, it was a mess,” he said. “It was not the right place to launch that, and we did some hamfisted things in the way we rolled it out. But the fundamental concept that the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value is pretty important.”

>I also asked Newell and Johnson if they think Steam would have paid mods by now if they didn’t have the Skyrim blemish in their past.
>“I think we would’ve,” said Newell.

Other urls found in this thread:

translation.steampowered.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Z34n44vr8yc
dota2.gamepedia.com/The_International_2013_Interactive_Compendium
dota2.gamepedia.com/The_International_Compendium_2014
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OK I'll explain
Mods become legit option for generating revenue
Publishers start releasing more SDK
Games which wouldn't normally get mod support will get it

What's your problem with it?

>But the fundamental concept that the gaming community needs to reward the people who are creating value is pretty important.

which kind of value is valve creating?

the problem is and always has been i believe that valve fucks the mod developers in the ass by taking a gigantic cut

it'll more likely turn out into another shitshow
also
>mods
>when most games will be implementing denuvo

>b-but only dlls and executable are protected!
see what happened with jc3 multiplayer

Hobbyists don't care about profit, they simply want to create art to their vision.

Turn mods into a profession and the creativity drops fast.

And don't forget that Valve has people do translations for them for free because hey why pay people for their hard work?

translation.steampowered.com/

>Gabe planning on being a huge jew on modding again because Valve needs more revenue sources to run obviously

Source? What you posted didn't mention that.

Do you really think Valve isn't going to try and get a cut of money spent on mods on their storefront?

Is there a limit the the GREED of this fat fuck?
He doen't do it for the well being of the community (which has been doing pretty fucking well without him for 3 decades!), he does it to open up another revenue stream for himself without having to do any work.

Paid mods is basically no different than paid RPG Maker/Game Maker/Unity games.

>modders need to be paid
>valve takes 75% cut
fuck off

I don't think they will.

Yeah Gabe definitely has the modder's best interests in mind with paid mods. What the shit Valve

youtube.com/watch?v=Z34n44vr8yc

They want to sell DLC without making the DLC. Simple as that. Paying for mods is a mistake and we already saw how the whole modding community tore itself apart within a few days when Valve tried to creep it in. Everything was turning into shit within hours. If they try to do it again, and it stays for good this time, then we can kiss the modding community as we know it good bye.

Valve currently gets 30% from every game sale.
They also get $100 per dev that signs up to Greenlight.
They'll soon get $200-$5000 per game submitted to Steam.
Their esports event is funded entirely by donations, they don't pay a cent.
They tried to jew people with paid mods before.

If someone out there has a dollar, Valve wants a piece of it.

Oh boy I can't wait for mods to become as big a shitshow as steam greenlight.

They have been doing this already for years in CS:GO by selling community made weapon skins.
Now they want to spread this cancer to all games.

Mods shouldn't be for more than a dollar. Paying 3 bucks for shitty armor is retarded. Also, there's donations, just make the mods even pay what you want. The best solution is just pay what you want.

I always wonder what kind of retard pays real money for those csgo skins.

they look like such a mess, not even worth a cent.

>Mod relies on other mod to work
Does the other mod author get a cut? Do people who make a texture for a mod get a cut? What if your mod requires another mod that is paid only?

Too much bullshit and this is just a blatant excuse for Valve to try and pocket more money.

Difference is the systems in those games are curated - the dev has to actively choose what content to sell in the game, and make sure it works properly.

>Valve currently gets 30% from every game sale.
>They also get $100 per dev that signs up to Greenlight.
>They'll soon get $200-$5000 per game submitted to Steam.

Should all this be free? They have a service that people want to make use of for their own monetary gain. Why wouldn't they make money off of it?

>Their esports event is funded entirely by donations, they don't pay a cent.

I don't think this is true.

>They tried to jew people with paid mods before.

And they got a resounding "No" from the community that cost them millions of dollars. They aren't going to do it again. Not in the same brazen, retarded, greedy way.

>Gabe planning on being a huge jew on modding again because Valve needs more revenue sources to run obviously

I don't see this quote anywhere, where did you get this?

Mods should be completely free

the whole idea of wanting money for mods is fucking retarded

We must kill gaben

Also you guys are stupid for still buying steam games. Stop locking yourself into their ecosystem

fuck off gaben

How are mods different from DLCs? Why is it ok for a company to charge for DLC but not ok for a modder to charge for their mods? I don't get why people seem this like a bad thing, there are people willing to make amazing mods in their free time, imagine the things they could do if they were getting paid for it.

I think people that spend all their free time should be able to get donations, so you can pay nothing, but there will be people who have extra money to give. I really wish more games would get mod support is all, and this may be a way to do it, that would benefit everyone.

>Should all this be free?
Charging people to submit games to Valve should be free because it was in the past. Valve had a team dedicated to curating games that were accepted to Steam but they fired them because having the community do it for free saved them a dollar.

The 30% jew tax is also too high. Valve isn't entitled to any more than 5%.

Funny thing is back in the days you just could download custom made weapons including animations (!) which had impressive quality for CS1.6 and CS:S for FREE from sites like FPSBannana.
Don't know if this is allowed anymore.
Paying money sure improved the quality, huh?

t. gabe newell

Did you miss last time they tried paid modding? Why would they try and put paid mods on their storefront if they weren't going to profit from it? I'm really doubting Valve is going to go from 30% to 0% in terms of their cut

This is the shit that makes me want to drop PC for console.

Nintendo and Xbox are dieing and have no games.

Sony don't allow name changes so I can't be fucked to go back to my old account.

Blizzard is shit now too.

I am literally "stuck" why the fuck is there no real competitor to steam?

>itch.io
>GOG

Donations are alright I guess but shouldn't be mandatory in any way.
Mods should be free.

>Should all this be free? They have a service that people want to make use of for their own monetary gain. Why wouldn't they make money off of it?
$5000 per game is a hefty price for indie devs just starting out, and it won't curb the shovelware problem on Steam because shovelware developers already have that dosh to pay the initial submittal fees.

Not to mention this effectively kills non-first world country game markets, since $5000 USD is bad enough but the conversion fees for, say, a Brazilian developer gets high enough that no one will want to take the risk.

Of course, this is all from a developer side, most consumers won't give a shit about it and/or think it's great because who gives a shit about poor indie devs and poor third world faggots

If I was Gaben I wouldn't have dropped paid mods in the first time.

>First post is now supporting paid mods

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

>This is the shit that makes me want to drop PC for console.

>going to an even more closed down system which fucks you even harder in the ass

So you react to a cut in your finger by cutting off your arm?
Yeah that will show them.

1) If someone is to pay the modders, it should be the game creators. The mods make their game more attractive to potential buyers.
2) Support: A company releasing DLC is supposed to make sure it works. A modder throwing out something doesn't have to.
3) Compability: Mods worth paying for tend to rely on other mods. Sometimes just one, sometimes a dozen or more. I've seen mods with page long requirement lists. Can't do this with paid mods.

And this last point is why this is such a damn terrible thing. A lot of modders have used mods and then figured "This is great but what if". Then they expanded on the basis of previous effort.

With paid mods, you can't do this.

>Charging people to submit games to Valve should be free because it was in the past. Valve had a team dedicated to curating games that were accepted to Steam but they fired them because having the community do it for free saved them a dollar.

It also made the process a lot less subjective. Who should decide what games people purchase? The people themselves. Why should Valve hold that power? As a way to prevent all pieces of garbage from entering their store, they charge people to try. Some garbage still makes it, but it is a great solution.

>The 30% jew tax is also too high. Valve isn't entitled to any more than 5%.

Isn't that just about (or less than) what Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo collect when they sell a game? I don't understand what is wrong here.

DLC
>Officially supported by the developer, DLC assured to work after game updates and play nicely with other DLC they release

Mods
>Not officially supported works that can't be assured to work after game updates and in some cases don't work with other mods

Valve and Bethesda wanted to sell you worse DLC essentially and not have to spend a cent themselves on it

>The truth is, a few have been hoarding everything with the hopes of becoming immortal

>I don't think this is true.

You just don't think its true and think thats an argument? Look at what they did for DOTA2 you dumb fuck, they didn't pay a single cent for that prize money, and even then KEPT half of everything they raised just because.

That's what I'm trying to say. You ever go to the pay what you want music websites? You can literally leave the box for how much to pay, blank, and it's free. They should do that with mods.

>create greenlight
>becomes absolute mess of trash, stolen assets
>monetise mods
>expect something different to happen

I'm 13 year old valve account holder and fell for the gaben is a deity memes but seriously we can't let this fat fuck ruin pc gaming.

DESPERATE OLD MEN TRYING TO RULE THE WORLD

Of course it's not an argument. But stating something blatantly false and expecting me to argue over it is nonsensical. Please use google. It'll argue for me.

I'm so fucking done with gaming. Later guys.

Then what should I do!?

We are backed into a fucking corner and I don't want to support valve anymore, even though ill lose 350+ games.

Maybe I should just drop steam completely and just go retro non-steam games and have anime be my replacement hobby.

It's funny that both these news about Greenlight getting the axe and talk about paid mods came at the same fucking time.
And there are people who are coming to their defense already, incredible.

>Some garbage still makes it

I wouldn't say the amount of shit that came from Greenlight qualifies for the word "some."

Fun fact: Nearly 40% of Steam's total library came out in 2016 alone

Reminder that the end of Greenlight and the much higher fees is Valve's way of encouraging a wave of paid modders.

>Just make a mod, friend, everyone has to start somewhere. :^)

Give the fat fuck the finger. Don't spend any more money on steam. Tell him where to shove his paid mods.

Quit Steam, pirate all the games you have in your library, and switch to one of the other distributors.

PC gaming, and the PC master race meme in general is the true cancer that killed video games.

maybe a program to back up peoples games from steam and crack them so they don't have to use it anymore?

I'll go to whatever system has the cute lesbians.

dota2.gamepedia.com/The_International_2013_Interactive_Compendium

dota2.gamepedia.com/The_International_Compendium_2014
There I did the work for you, you dumb faggot. It clearly stats that $2.50 of each purchase went toward their Esports prize pool. The actually cost of those compendiums was way higher than 2.50. They didn't dish out any cash, they had the community pay into it, and didn't even put ALL the money they got into it, just a fraction. Use your head and learn how to look things up. This was a well known thing.

Mods are what they say in the name, modification. Modders hack up the game and change things to their liking and share it regardless of untested repercussions. DLCs aim to be professional and quality-assured.

If Modders are allowed to sell mods they should be forced to commit to quality-assurance and professionalism. Which they won't because it goes against the nature of modding, so you'll find a lot less mods.

If you play Skyrim, you'd find rough but interesting mods like Wheels of Lull or Vigilant just wouldn't get made anymore

>Maybe I should just drop steam completely and just go retro non-steam games
Exactly what you should do.
If a game is not on GOG, another DRM free plattform or the own website of the developer feel free to pirate without remorse.
Also I doubt you have played everything worth playing for the last 20+ years, time to clear that backlog.

>because shovelware developers already have that dosh to pay the initial submittal fees.
Not all of them.

Not even most of them.

So it's still a good solution. I do agree that 5k burgers might be a bit too much though.

Given how heavily people pushed back on paid modding (and paid online back in the day with Mircosoft), I'd say people who game on PC are alright

I don't really have a problem with it as long as they make it clear from the beginning that the game will have paid mods.

By your logic Communism actually works.

I'll spoon feed you. Valve puts in $1,600,000 for each TI and then sells battlepasses, which generate the rest of the prize pool. There is literally (in the literal sense of literally, not the new-age figurative sense) nothing wrong with this.

I like my idea. Call it reignfall

It's not even the worst part, the worst part is some cunt at Valve actually sabotaged the translator community because of her ego. It was loud around the beginning of 2015, sorry for not providing source.

Except, you know, how they're the biggest group of elitist faggots in the entire gaming industry.

You know what I find funny? People will defend this by saying that you have a choice not to buy them, but when the choice is "we just don't want this to begin with" apparently that is not okay, we are not free to make this choice apparently....You are free to choose, except when you are not.

people just don't get it

the problem isn't really paying for mods, if a good mod author wants to charge a little, fine whatever

the issue is, valve is all "hey, we're going to charge for mods and not really regulate the quality, and oh btw, we're going to take a 70% cut from the mod creators too, even though we're not doing anything but taking money"

the entire issue most people have with this is valve is trying to fuck the mod people in the ass while trying to say they 'deserve to be paid!' it's more like 'we'll give them a little bit while they take it raw up the ass from us!'

What anime is that cute girl from?

Because OTHERS pay real money for the skins, so you can all jew eachother in an israeli circlejerk.

Any argument against this is a Slippery Slope fallacy sure, but they're all Slippery Slope's based on statistical evidence that claim in earnest that allowing mods to be monetized will lead to a few different outcomes:

(1) - Developers (more likely publishers) will start pushing out mod-tier content and charging DLC-tier money for it.

(2) - Games that do not want modders overshadowing their "professional" work will enact even more strict methods to keep modders out.

(3) - More games will allow modding, even offering "partnerships" with modders to bring quality mod content into the game as canon content, though this partnership would most likely be a one-way street.

There's literally nothing wrong with the change to game submissions.

And there's nobody defending the paid mods thing, stop falling for bait.

maybe Gaben should stick to his cheeseburgers and not fuck up the one thing that draws people to his platform

>entitled crybabies from TF2/CS:GO/Doturd2 think they have it bad and try to sabotage their benefactor in a poorly-though out tantrum

Nice try sony faggot. Go away.

Some of the best mods have been a community effort over the years.
Looking at Dawn of War for example Firestorm over Kaurava and Ultimate apocalypse and some other big overhauls have a ton of content lifted from smaller mods and using community made models developed over the years. They have the same slices of content but do different takes on it.
Some mods like Kaiserreich for Hearts of Irons 2 have went through dozens of developers over years (and multiple games, it's currently developed for HoI4 and available for Darkest hour) with tons of people chiming with content over years.

This kind of shit wouldn't even remotely be possible if the entire process gets monetized.
Nobody is going to help out with a big overhaul mod that's been around for a while when other people are getting paid. And doing giant overhauls will be harder as well.

And if the modding scene gets more commercialized and focused on steam workshop, I can only imagine that it will be more heavily moderated with time. One day making a nation for a TBS game based on some well known IP will lead to a C&D.

valve puts money into each international and puts up the entirety of the csgo prize pools

what the fuck are you event talking about

>mommy make them stop making fun of me for paying for the internet connection i already have!

a marketplace

>they do it for free

fucking retarded

This.

>Featured paid mods for skyrim
>stolen code everywhere
>simple armor mod just didn't work
>previously free

Why would anyone make a mod if they had to protect themselves from theft as soon as it was released?

kek, also the steam community moderators all work for free, and it's not like casual either, they sit on it all fucking day. It's fucking pathetic watching them defend valve after each shitshow

Maybe paid mods should happen.

>People upload tons of copyrighted shit and make money off of it
>Disney and the rest sue the shit out of valve for not only allowing this, but encouraging it and taking a cut

You greedy fat sack of shit, release some new games if you want more money, that money would actually belong to you and be benefit of your own work and investment.
But no.
>I want money that I didn't earn
>I want a cut of products I didn't make and had nothing to do with

>ok i'll explain
>DLCs become legit option for generating revenue
>publishers start releasing more DLCs
>Games which wouldn't normally get DLCs will get it

What's your problem with it?

>be me
>see discusting and immature behavior of PC gamers and especially PCMRetards
>don't want to suppport platform with such a shitty, immature and hypocrytical audience
>literally stopped buying games on PC
>havent bought a game on PC for like 2 years
>pirate and play everything on PC though because I want to play the best version
>buy console version instead so I have a legal copy and devs get my money

I hope that you get those paid mods again.

It's not a bad idea, it just had a bad start. Imagine if the Skyrim thing never happened, and instead it was the Long War team which made a new version (for EW or XCOM2) with lots of new assets and a much larger scope. When a mod borders on a new game, charging something isn't ridiculous.

>even then KEPT half of everything they raised just because
You're looking at the prize of $1.6M and ignoring the several million required for venues, staff, and infrastructure. Between the main TI event and the new regionals, I'd be surprised if pass revenue of around $60M resulted in more than $10M in profit.

Same value Apple creates when you put your app up on their store.

>And devs get money money

You poor naive shitposter.

By your logic there should have never been mods of anything, ever.

That happens with every game that supports mods. Make a marvel character or a space marine mod, even for free, and you get a C&D within hours.

I dont see the problem if people can also release mods for free.

We are not entitled to free mods...

>What's your problem with it?
The best mods infringe on other people's copyrights and couldn't be sold.