Alright, Sup Forums: hit for hit, miss for miss, which was the overall better studio...

Alright, Sup Forums: hit for hit, miss for miss, which was the overall better studio? Who pushed the industry forward the most? Who has a better legacy?

If Pandemic hadn't have closed down, do you think it would have wound up like Microsoft-owned Rare?

Remind me, what did Pandemic make?
Also, Microsoft owning Rare didn't really have an effect on the company itself.

>Destroy All Humans 1 and 2
>Battlefront 1 and 2
>The Saboteur
That's all I could think off the top my head.

well instead of telling you to google it, i'll just say
Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2
Destroy All Humans 1 and 2
Mercenaries 1 and 2

Pandemic made the Star Wars Battlefront, Mercenaries, and Destroy All Humans series, and The Saboteur. A couple bad games too but not a bad track record at all for eleven years in business.

Rare probably. Pandemic made some good ps2/ogxbox games, and a good ps3/360 game, but rare made some of the best 64 and snes games I've ever played.

* Battlezone II: Combat Commander

* Dark Reign 2

* Triple Play 2002

* Army Men: RTS

* Star Wars: The Clone Wars

* Full Spectrum Warrior

* Star Wars: Battlefront

* Star Wars: Battlefront II

* Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

* Destroy All Humans!

* Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers

* Destroy All Humans! 2

* Mercenaries 2: World in Flames The Lord of the Rings: Conquest

* The Saboteur

Full Spectrum Warriors, Mercenaries, Star Wars Battlefront, and their swan song, The Saboteur.

They weren't particularly well known, but each of their titles had so much soul to them...

Mercenaries 1 did the 'no morality, factions system' thing before FO:NV, and worked wonderfully, truly bringing their open world alive.

>Also, Microsoft owning Rare didn't really have an effect on the company itself.

Microsoft was the one that essentially forced them into radically redirecting themselves. They killed Banjo-Threeie and after that, Rare was condemned to Kinect Sports Hell.

The transition to Microsoft was also the watershed moment where all the old guard began jumping ship.

I found out recently Pandemic Australia were the ones to make Destroy all Humans.

I see.
Honestly, I would say Rare has had a better run, particularly for games like Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, and Viva Pinata. I do like Mercenaries and want to try Destroy All Humans, though.

They were dead long before microsoft acquired them.

I really loved Battlezone 2

Really? I thought Nuts and Bolts was Rare's idea.

Star Fox Adventures wasn't that long before then.

Rare pushed the industry and changed Nintendo's views on Western developers and business practices unlike Sega

Pandemic created memorable games but outside battlefront and mercenary it wasn't all that special

pandemic has made some ok games. you play em once and you're like "ok, that was fun" and move on. rare made a few legit masterpieces.

You need to change Rare to 2008. Nuts & Bolts and Trouble In Paradise were both great games.

Just counting the undeniably good games

Pandemic (6)
>Star Wars Battlefront
>Star Wars Battlefront II
>Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
>Destroy All Humans!
>Destroy All Humans! 2
>The Saboteur

Rareware (9)
>DKC
>DKC2
>DKC3
>Killer Instinct
>Banjo-Kazooie
>Diddy Kong Racing
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Goldeneye 007 (for the time)
>Perfect Dark

and I bet I'm forgetting a ton of Rare games already

They're not anywhere near the same level. Rare made some of the best stuff on Nintendo consoles, were pushing hardware to its limits and almost everyone who played games in that era knew about them.

Pandemic made some nice underrated games. And Battlefront II.

You forgot "that" game on purpose didn't you

OP's image is counting Rareware's portfolio from before their partnership with Nintendo (before DKC).

So we can't just think of their masterpieces, but we also need to think of their early efforts. Before they hit their stride, Rareware was a licensed game shitter. They made Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Beetlejuice, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and bizarrely, a bunch of games based on TV game shows like Jeopardy and Hollywood Squares.

This era also has R.C. Pro-Am and Battletoads, though.