I wanna get into this series, where do I start?

I wanna get into this series, where do I start?

With the game you just posted. Get the 3DS version.

oot or wind waker

As always, release order

Release order but if the first two on nes are too hard then play link to the past, its pretty straight forward with telling you what to do.

>having to play the first Zelda, which aged like milk
>having to play Zelda II, a pure grind fest for no reason other than make it last longer
Just start with OoT 3D, play MM 3D then take your route to other 3D Zeldas, like WW, TP and SS. 2D Zeldas are only for those who like the style, you're not forced to play them and you're not missing anything, the series' timeline is a complete mess and isn't important. Every game has the same story and ends the same way. What's important is the gameplay.

Ocarina of Time for 3D, and A Link to the Past for 2D.

Honestly, start with Twilight Princess. It's probably the most accessible for newcomers.

OoT, the Oracle games, then Wind Waker.

>Release order but if the first two on nes are too hard then play link to the past, its pretty straight forward with telling you what to do.
Exactly this. Or start with Ocarina of Time.

A Link to the Past

And then you can stop playing because every Zelda game that came after is just A Link to the Past, again!

Alternatively, this if OP doesn't have a 3DS. The janky N64 graphics will definitely be a turnoff for some.

Although I wouldn't recommend Zelda 1 for a beginner, it hasn't really aged like milk. It's a super simple game that plays fine even nowadays. There's nothing clunky or outdated about its gameplay; it's a perfectly fine game.

Zelda II also doesn't require grinding at all. You never NEED to lvl up.

And as for starting with 3D, I don't know. I think they're much more rewarding to play after you're familiar with the originals.

OoT isn't a handheld game. You either play it on a big TV, or not at all.

As for OP, I'd say start with both A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, in any order. Then afterwards you can just play whatever you want.

Eh... the movement in LoZ takes some adjustment. It's only four way and you can only stab straight ahead unlike the swipe and expanded movement in ALttP.

I would absolutely not recommend the NES originals to someone that has never played anything in the series before. Similar to Metroid, they feel like prototypes that laid the groundwork before the series really hit its stride on the SNES.

thing is, the originals didn't age that well considering you won't be playing on CRTs with lower pixel density anymore, the outdated graphics and clunky framerate (dipping far below 20fps) aren't pleasant to see on LCD monitors or HDTVs. The best way to experience them is on the original setup: a N64 on 21" CRT TV. Then you have the 10/10 game everyone talked about nearly two decades ago.

The 3DS versions made significant changes to framerate and to the textures. Even for a handheld game, they look very very good and has zero problems with visibility and button layout (these were also remapped). It also supports touchscreen menus, which completely removes the slow, crumblesome pause menu from OoT and MM.

They're upgrades in every sense of the word and should be played first if you don't have a N64 with the original cart, or never played them at all. Avoid Virtual Console and PC emulation unless those are your last options.

they look better and play better on 3DS, why would you go back? nostalgia?

>Avoid PC emulation
What are you talking about? PC emulation is probably the best choice because of the option to use a higher resolution. I've been replaying the zelda series with retroarch, starting with NES zelda while streaming the emulator to my hdtv with zero problems. It looks and plays great.

PC emulation isn't perfect, it has some occasional glitches and hiccups that aren't present on VC release. I'd take a 1:1 experience over a higher-res one, but that's just me.

The Mysterious Murasame Castle, 1, Adventure, Link to the Past, For the Frog Whom's Bell Tolls, Link's Awakening, and the Oracle games. Play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask coming in with the fact that they were fine at the time, but dated by today's standards and accept that you'd have a better time playing any other 3D adventure game, such as Okami and the Souls series. I don't recommend anything past Majora. By the time you finish it, you'll have seen everything Zelda in 3D can do.

Ocarina of Time 3D
If you like that go to
Wind Waker if you want something lighter
Twillight Princess if you want something that's essentially OoT if it was made ten years later
Majora's Mask (N64) if you want a very strange but amazing direct sequel to Oot
from there you should know where to go but you really can't go wrong with the series but it will be easier to start with the mainline 3d entries

First one isn't hard, if you get stuck just use a guide to see what to do next. A Link to teh Past and Wind waker is also fun

Yea, but there aren't any major glitches that distract or break the games. I'm guessing your talking about the timing issues in oot that are miliseconds and only effect speedrunners.

Emulate OOT, or 3DS version if you ahve one

yes, if you start w/ zelda 3, and come back to Zelda 1 after, say, MM.

Z2 gtfo

a link to the past for 2D and ocarina of time for 3D

First, you have to tell your parents that you are gay.

Play Wind Waker on GC, then emulate Link's Awakening DX, and finally clear both quests in Zelda 1.

Instant Hylian. Fuck all the rest until nostalgia sets in around 2030.

OoT is the best entry point. From there just play whatever you want.

for the frog the bell tolls has about as much in common with links awakening as metroid fusion does with wario land 4

Not the person you're replying to, but for me I actually prefer the N64 version. The art style appeals to me more, even though I know they're technically the same, and I just prefer the overall look. And I don't really have any nostalgia at all for that game.

Anywhere, none of the games are linked (har har, get it?) in a way that make them individually unapproachable without playing the rest of the series. They're all self-contained, even the direct sequels like OoT-MM

Same about the art style, I also prefer the lighting on the N64.

Wind Waker is actually much more of a direct sequel to OoT than MM.

link to the past and/or ocarina of time

Start with A Link To The Past

seriously

The 2D Zelda's aren't needed, but I'd still recommend them as they're just as good. And yea that timeline is bullshit, and was only added because fans wanted it, and thought there was one. The games actually work better as if they're each in their own little incantation of Hyrule, and not in a timeline.
Anyways, what I'd recommend OP play,
2D: A Link to the Past
Then if you like play the GB and GBC games (Link's Awakening, and Oracle of Ages/Seasons respectively)
3D: Ocarina of Time
Then if you want a weirder but similarly styled game play Majora's Mask, or otherwise play Wind Waker.

>The 2D Zelda's aren't needed
oh ok

As far as Zelda 2 goes,veterans of the game don't need to level up at all

But that's only because we know how to fight everything and how to navigate all of the palaces

People playing it for the first time NEED to level up because to anyone that hasn't played it,they will most likely feel like it's unfair bullshit.They'll reach the first Iron Knuckle and have it block every single stab and think "what the fuck is going on?"

Newbies would quit before the first palace is even done and Normies wouldn't ever touch it again and keep labeling it as the black sheep of the Zelda series.

It might seem a little unforgiving,but just like the first 3 Mega Man games,if you fuck up,it's because YOU fucked up by not adapting to the situations at hand

unpopular opinions time:

I honestly think ALL zelda games are over rated to shit, and feel like babbies first RPG.

I seriously don't get these threads
why the fuck wouldn't you start at the beginning of the series?

Well I meant technically, because of what the person I was replying to said. I love the 2D Zelda's just as much as the 3D ones.

OoT3D for 3D games, then play the rest in pretty much any order. AlttP or Links awakening for 2D, then whatever order you want. Probably play the NES ones last, they're harder to get into.

Would you recommend someone start with Metal Gear and not Metal Gear Solid? I wouldn't if I actually wanted them to get into a series.

They aren't even rpgs.

Start with whatever interests you. If you want to play the 64 games, play their remakes.

Eh, in a series as long as Zelda it doesn't always sense to play the very first one first. Some people aren't a fan of NES style games, especially now that they look like shit emulated and ran on LCDs instead of on CRTs. Plus maybe you're not planning on playing the whole series and just want to try out the most accessible game.

There are sound glitches on both games, pretty noticeable ones at certain dungeons or bosses. If you can live with that, you're good. VC offers a better emulation (I'd say almost perfect) at a cost of no extra settings and no rumble. Wii U can technically display it on HDTVs though, but don't expect upscaling, it's just better than what it was on Wii.

But they're not RPG's, they're technically Action/Adventure games, and it's the dungeons and puzzle solving that makes a Zelda game.
Because the OG Zelda probably won't be at all satisfying to play for someone who's never played a Zelda game, as you're really just wandering around looking for dungeons, which some of are super hidden. The fact that you're not told what to do is cool and all, but even back in the day only people with Nintendo Power, or people who had friends with NP knew where to go, or which bush to burn to get to Level 9 for example. And also the fact that Zelda 2 is a black sheep, and not representative of the franchise, and that the 3D games are a completely different style of game.
That's actually a good example
They're not really, there are no stats, leveling, experience points, skill trees, dice rolling mechanics in combat and spells, etc. of any kind. Of course RPG's don't need these things, but it's just an example of how Zelda really has nothing in common with RPG's.

The Wii U VC versions definitely look better than they did on Wii and of course much better than on N64.

First one, Wind Waker, or OOT are good starting points, since they give you the gist of what the series is. Everything else expands on them.

Ocarina of Time

OR

Link to the Past

These 2 games are fantastic and are the best options for getting into the series.

No one cares, faggot

For someone that's never played the series before:

Most accessible 3D:
Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Ocarina

Most accessible 2D:
Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Minish Cap

>sound glitches on both games noticeable ones at certain dungeons or bosses

Can you list the glitches? I'm curious to know what they are cause I didn't hear any.

>Because the OG Zelda probably won't be at all satisfying to play for someone who's never played a Zelda game, as you're really just wandering around looking for dungeons, which some of are super hidden. The fact that you're not told what to do is cool and all, but even back in the day only people with Nintendo Power, or people who had friends with NP knew where to go, or which bush to burn to get to Level 9 for example.

>didn't have other friends who played it
>didnt have nintendo power
I just drew my own guide back then. Really wish I still had it so I could see what I drew and wrote, but regardless I have nearly the entire game burned into my memory anyways.

babbies first action-adventure game then

Can't take it back now, user. You just look stupid.

I'm starting too, so far finishing the first game only problem is that you'll need a guide, aside from that it's great, also i tried the second one and didn't like it and A Link To the Past and really liked it.

Hope you move on to Link's Awakening next. That's my personal favorite 2D Zelda.

After finishing LoZ i'll move to ALttP then Link's Awakening, for what i've seen it looks very similar to ALttP. I don't think i'll be able to play 2 though

I wouldn't bother. AoL is notable more as a stepping stone and introducing some elements that later became hallmarks of the series than it is as a great game.