What are some good puzzle games, Sup Forums?

What are some good puzzle games, Sup Forums?

Have you played The Talos Principle?

Any Picross game.

Man antichamber was fantastic. I hate puzzle games and indie garbage and yet I loved it so much. No game can rival it.

Manifold Garden should be something to look out for if you like puzzle games.

>Manifold Garden
Looks like all of the pretentiousness with none of the non-euclidianness.

If you are REALLY into puzzle games The Witness. Be warned this shit ain't no joke, keep a notebook handy and write down everything.

Closure and The Bridge were pretentious and quite enjoyable.

Zero escape series

These

Hexcells is a fun play on picross and is cheap

>obtuse puzzle and game design
No thanks

>The Witness
>obtuse
I have no idea what you mean, I'd say it's extremely intuitive if anything

How you learn to do puzzles makes no sense, largely because the game barely makes any effort to explain them. Also, the fact that all you do is solve puzzle after puzzle with little to no reward (not even narratively) makes for a pretty tedious game. At least the games that are solely focused on solving puzzle after puzzle bother to explain how they work.

you are clearly not a puzzle gamer
you play games for:
a. the instructions
b. the reward
a puzzle gamer plays not at all caring about these at all, and instead cares about
a. determining HOW to do the puzzle (less help means more puzzling)
b. the process of solving the puzzle
The Witness separates true puzzlers to people who are posing as puzzlers but just like feeling like smarties. This is why The Witness is the ultimate puzzle game.
However, other games that do this are the Zachtronics games - those do it even better. However, The Witness is a beautiful, simple approach at this differentiation.

If you disliked that the witness forced you to learn how its puzzles works, you are a filthy fucking puzzle casual, and you should consider any top iOS title.

I think the way the game makes you look for simple versions of new puzzle mechanics in order to figure out them yourself is fantastic, and definitely better than just using tutorials that would outright explain them. I'd say it's the core idea of the game, since that's what "witness" problems are about in mathematics too.
Also, I didn't mind that the reward of solving puzzles was just more puzzles, since I enjoyed them so much.
I can see how the game doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's my personal GOTY 2016

I've been enjoying the hell out of Snakebird the past few days. Other puzzle games I like that I haven't seen mentioned are Human Resource Machine and English Country Tune.

>a. determining HOW to do the puzzle
>b. the process of solving the puzzle
Determining how to do puzzles in The Witness is like trying to understand Chinese by simply looking at the characters. There's no context or anything to clue you in on what exactly you're supposed to do, not even so much as a hint to tell you whether you're on the right track or not when solving puzzles. Knowing how to solve a puzzle isn't taboo, it's common sense. Blow might think his audience is intelligent enough to figure things out, but it's not like anyone could actually reliably explain how every puzzle in that game works or even begin to describe how to arrive there.

You must have skipped some of the introduction puzzles. They teach you the rules, everything beyond that its just you being lazy.

Did you notice that the rows of panels near the start of new areas are like tutorials?
They have only a few possible solutions even if you just guess, and when you have the right answer for all of them, you also have all the info needed about the mechanics being introduced

Can do both. Easily. The easier puzzles are for you to experiment with solutions to see how the mostly obvious symbols interact. Then it progressively gets more complicated. Learning how to solve the puzzles is the entire point.

>True puzzle gamer

I tend to be drawn in by minimalistic puzzle games, and weird experiences, these wont challenge your mind to any real extent, so take these with a grain of salt, these are just the slightly more obscure ones that no one else suggested.

Hexcells is a good relaxing puzzle game, it's not hard so much as deductive.

Please Don't Touch Anything is an interesting game, the puzzles are very obtuse at times, but that's the point. It's a cool way at forcing you to evolve on a simple premise.

Samorost series and Machinarium is more visually appealing than it is demanding as point and click puzzles go. It's still worth it.

Klocki is another simple and relaxing puzzle game, it's really not long, but it's fun, there is a free web version too.

Refunct is really simple but I honestly loved my time with it, I don't recommend it if you're after an actual challenge.

The Tiny Bang Story is a fun adventure puzzle game, it's mostly just a hidden object game though.

I wouldn't count those as remotely helpful. Also, if you end up guessing some of the solutions, there's clearly something wrong with how these puzzles are being presented.

Casual filter for all puzzle games. If you can't beat this without a guide you are an eternal plebian.

Fuck all of you, we're not defending this shitshow of a game here.

>Game is styled as a giant open non-linear shitshow
>You are guaranteed to find loads of puzzles you don't know the rules for
>The rules can be hidden in the back-end of nowhere
>When you find the rules, they can demand trial-and-error to even understand
>Some puzzles never get rules, and you just have to fuck around until you realize standing in a certain place shows a shadow that traces a line on a rock that when reflected shows the answer
>There is absolutely no indication whether you are failing because you fucked up DA RULEZ, or if this is a puzzle that requires you stand somewhere special, or if you just made a mistake and didn't notice
>Oh and also if you fuck up, sometimes we'll delete your current puzzle so you have to do the previous puzzle again

Compare The Witness to something like Talos Principle and watch as literally every aspect of the former comes up short, what a garbage game.

I honestly feel Talos Principle is very low level puzzle game compared to The Witness.
I like its story more than the actual gameplay

What's that one puzzle at the start of the last third of the game that's really ridiculously complex and stupid to the point that I've never seen anyone not skip it? I recall it being really long and involving timing long strings of blocks

Ghost Trick is my favorite puzzle game ever.

Magical Drop 3 is the best

The tutorial panels tell you everything you need to know, I can't see how that's not helpful.
>if you end up guessing some of the solutions, there's clearly something wrong with how these puzzles are being presented
That's an extremely arbitrary requirement.
Let's say the game gave you a series of pre-solved panels to deduce the rules out of. Then you wouldn't have to guess anything, but I'd say that would only make the rules harder (and less fun) to learn

What the fuck even is Perfect Puzzle

like it looks like a puyo puyo nigga but then it's all about jigsaws and the gameplay looks more bejeweled and shit

Huniepop is pretty fun

I'd wager the Portal Series.
I'd say Portal if you just want to have a very minimal story with very little hand holding, and Portal 2 if you want more story and characters in it. Portal is my personal recommendation but portal 2 wasn't that bad.

Is this as unclear/confusing as Myst was? I got seriously confused playing it, but maybe I was just too casual back then. I'll give it a shot if I can emulate it.

>You are guaranteed to find loads of puzzles you don't know the rules for
It's fairly obvious when you see unknown symbols and realize you're ahead of yourself.
>The rules can be hidden in the back-end of nowhere
Each symbol has a very distinct tutorial area, except for the triangles, which are spread throughout the entire island on small tablets.
>When you find the rules, they can demand trial-and-error to even understand
This is true of any puzzle game. Experimentation to understand the extent ruleset.
>Some puzzles never get rules, and you just have to fuck around until you realize standing in a certain place shows a shadow that traces a line on a rock that when reflected shows the answer
Every puzzle has a ruleset. Yes, the environment is important in solving some of them. No, this isn't a bad thing.
>There is absolutely no indication whether you are failing because you fucked up DA RULEZ, or if this is a puzzle that requires you stand somewhere special, or if you just made a mistake and didn't notice
No puzzle actually requires standing in a specific spot to solve. A fail is distinctly a fail. When you don't meet the ruleset, the symbol that fails will blink red.
>Oh and also if you fuck up, sometimes we'll delete your current puzzle so you have to do the previous puzzle again
Only thing you mention that's actually valid. Happened very rarely though.

Well that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But you're fucking wrong you cunt.

Puzzle-wise, Talos objectively explains and builds on its concepts much better than Witness, mostly because the linear-approach and color-coding works much better than a giant open world.
The story Talos is superior because they actually gave it a story and didn't just steal a gorillion quotes to recite back at you.
The music is superior in Talos because there is actually fucking music and stuff to listen to besides 1,000 unique foot-noises.

The graphics and how fun the puzzles are is opinion, but Talos objectively does everything mechanically better than Witness.

Riven is definitely harder than Myst.
Replay the first game to prepare for it. Don't give up and look up the answers, every puzzle is logical and really rewarding to solve if you do it yourself

It is indeed Puyo Puyo, they just changed the gameplay to fit the combat.

>Riven has a port for iOS but not android
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Also, does it matter if I play a remake of Myst? Because I'm a cheap jew and I'll prolly emulate them

My biggest problem with Talos is how many of the puzzle concepts get more tedious instead of more challenging by the end. At worst, they're placed in mazes and in the middle of floating mines.
I generally found the puzzle solving to be more fun in The Witness, but Talos makes up for it with the "window dressing" like story and easter eggs.
Bottom line is that I really like both games

Jelly no Puzzle

which one for the 3ds is the best? is there anyway to pirate them?

puzzle agent is best puzzle

>is there anyway to pirate [a 3DS game]?

user...

>emulate them

Are you fucking retarded?

I loved this because I was generally bad at the 999 puzzles and at the time had been playing a fuck ton of sudoku. Considering that, and doing the proper path first (for VLR as well) made me connect more with the whole esper thing

Picross e
Pokemon Picross
Mario Picross (VC)
There's also one Hudson did for the DS, Illust Logic + Colorful Logic, which is arguably the best one out there.

Supaplex

I got 3d Round 2 and have beat it almost 4 times.

By far my highest played 3DS game, with 208 hours. It's great for long commutes or doing a couple puzzles before bed

do wish some stuff was legit, such as a set-possible high score (as you can just replay levels and stack the scores) and the highest difficulty shouldn't allow for hints.

There's enough puzzles (300+) where it's still pretty hard to remember everything, even after doing it 3 times already, so a challenge run (no hints, no mistakes) still feels pretty rewarding.

yes
(Really though, I just wanted to play it on my phone while commuting)