ITT: you're old

Reminder that NSFU2 was released in 2004.

Nostalgia thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sSo3PCCJW3g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How come all the best games came out in November 2004?

Underground 2 was shit. High Stakes is still the best.

kys and take ur shit taste with you

You know what's really sad.

Hot Pursuit and High Stakes were the last great NFS games with competent Cop AI. I mean those guys really let you have it and it wasn't easy at all to escape. Especially when you run your first road block and the 3rd cop with a Lamborghini or corvette runs your ass all over the road..

What the fuck happened. Why is cop ai so shitty now. Just look at most wanted remaster..It's fucking non-existent.

We Wuz burger Kings

I'm playing High Stakes and the cop AI is a complete joke, at least in the PC version.

Underground 2 was 1 step forward and 2 steps backward from UG1

YOU have the worst taste

I've played the PS1 version way before the PC version and it's agreed that the console one is stupidly hard.

Fuck, remember when EA actually TRIED?

Too bad it doesn't have the nice cockpit views from the PC version.

i do...

They've never tried, just the businesses under them happen to get a good game by them occasionally. It's been this way since the 90s user.

>a 2004 game
>not a 1994 game
>"you're old"

I was 10.

I just got around to playing the SSX reboot on ps3. What the fug know we're they thinking with that? All of the charm from the older ones is gone, and that dubstep soundtrack is fucking disgusting.

ssx3 is legitimately one of the best games ever created. same with burnout 3. what's up with the number 3?

Wow excuse my retarded as fuck phoneposting. I'll see myself out

Honestly the High Stakes interiors are so fucking trash because of early 3D. Meanwhile the photo interiors look amazing on tubes. So really on console, the only thing you are getting that PC doesn't (modding doesn't count) is a R34 Skyline.

HS doesn't have interiors in the console version at all

I agree with this.

stay mad shitter

> (You)
>I'm playing High Stakes and the cop AI is a complete joke, at least in the PC version.
I only played the console versions and those are superior to me as well as crash physics..

Emulate it and you will see what I mean lol.

I'm talking about benefits of playing PC versus PS1. PC gets the 3D interiors (which look like shit) versus a Skyline on PS1 which PC doesn't have without modding.

>High Stakes is still the best
That or hot pursuit 2

wtf i dont remembe BK ads in that game.

Are the 2D interiors affected by lighting?

I strongly disagree, but that's because I fucking love old low-poly 3D stuff. High Stakes' 3d interiors are maximum cozy to me, especially when driving at night and watching the streetlamps' glow slide across the dashboard just like all those childhood memories of late-night road trips. The 2d interiors have always looked like shit to me, just a photo pasted on the screen while the 3d ones feel more like part of the game world no matter how lacking in detail they may be.

I also love Quake 1 and think Doom has aged like hot garbage.

Remember when EA was still Electronic Arts and seeing that EOA logo on a box was pretty much a guarantee you were gonna have fun?

>So really on console, the only thing you are getting that PC doesn't (modding doesn't count) is a R34 Skyline.
The PC version of NFS4 also includes all the racetracks from NFS3, not to mention both LAN and online multiplayer, the latter of which still works to this day. You can't use the "but you have to mod it in!" card when the Skyline was an official add-on for non-Aussies and IIRC can still be found in the depths of EA's ftp server.

I have fond memories of Wave Race 64.
youtube.com/watch?v=sSo3PCCJW3g

>chill soundtrack
>fun gameplay, despite being minimalistic
>That dolphin cheat that I never could get right
>Trying my hardest to beat my best scores every time I played

Other than Mario Kart, I don't think I had as much fun in any other racing game as I did with Wave Race.

There were quite a few product placement, probably more blatantly than Burger King or Best Buy was the telephone company one, Cirrus or something, was the messaging system.

Everything between Underground 2 and Carbon had huge in-game ads out the ass. Half the fun of the now-dead NFS World was wandering around the cities from MW and Carbon and seeing what they replaced the Burger Kings and Motorola signs with.

>2004
>nostalgia
>youre old

No but they're already perfectly lit and baked in, so they instantly have a certain realism to them at a bare minimum, going 3D was an advancement on its own but the result feels like going backwards 10 steps.

I like low poly 3D stuff too but the difference between that "trend" and crude 3D is that only one of them ensures aesthetics. Early crude 3D is just people not knowing what to do because technology was new, not because tried to make an art form out of technical limitations unlike some other PS1 games.

How can something be perfectly lit in a game where you have varying lighting conditions?

Back when BK's fries were good.

>tfw 1998 is best year for gaming

Prebaked photo textures ensures a minimum realism like 7/10 where as shitty 3D can be worse or above that. High Stakes is more or less a shitty looking game and not the aesthetic kind either, see . I love the way Tomb Raider 1 looks too but I would never talk about how amazing it looks nor use it as an example of low poly aesthetics.

nostalgia for need speed is remembering porsche unleashed and the games being about fast cars in exotic locales, not the ricer games (which were also fun in their own way)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.

>Early crude 3D is just people not knowing what to do because technology was new, not because tried to make an art form out of technical limitations unlike some other PS1 games.
Classic NFS games are far from crude, though, and actively worked around the technical limitations. They don't have perfectly realistic car models or environments- the proportions are kind of skewed, scales are off, and everything has that distinctively crunchy appearance that you only get from old graphics that had to go for slight stylization because going for straight realism would look like garbage. For an FPS example, think of Half-Life 1 vs Day of Defeat. Same engine, a lot of the same assets, but HL1 has a definitely more stylized look for the characters and animations. As such I feel like the 3d interiors fit the game that much better, because it's an attempt to recreate something in the game's own graphics style instead of taking a photograph, alpha-masking the windows, and layering it over the screen.

Gran Turismo went for straight realism, and it looks like fucking trash now, with NFS having stuff GT wouldn't have for literally four or five games like night driving, 3D interiors, and windshields that were actually fucking see-through.

THIS CAME OUT OVER A DECADE AGO

who /ricer/ here

don't touch me in case it's contagious

Jesus Christ look at the size of that HUD.

You don't need to see the road when you can just hold X and wallride to victory.

Yes. Yes I do.

>Super Mario World is 26 years old

>tfw the only Need for Speed game I played was Need for Speed 2

That Dinosaur race track tho.

That depends: did high stakes have drift and drag races? Because those were fucking retarded.

I thought you were joking for a second there