Can't decide if i should get ps4 pro + psvr or vive

Can't decide if i should get ps4 pro + psvr or vive

vive

neither. vr is shit

I got a PS4 pro mainly because I never had a PS4, so now I can play all the games it took 2 fucking years to actually come out, which is basically 6 games.

No, it's good. It's just taking a while for developers to learn how to use it properly.

so at the moment it's shit. wait a few years

VIVE 2.0 sounds like a safe bet.

The new LG one looks good, also microsoft TM! is partnering with hardware companies to create a line of VR headsets, so wait for reviews of those.

The second generation is always the time to leap in.

More like end of the year. Oculus already have a lot of solid games to play that use the touch controls effectively.

Wait for the new Vives and Valves other potential partners.

Better designed controllers instead of those wand things, and wireless functionality is soon possible.

Yeah, I opted for the Rift and Touch controllers and while I can see the problems with the tracking over the Vive's, I still think the Touch wins out over the wands. You feel like you're interacting with things using your hands instead of the end of a big stick.

Vive's already copying a lot of the Rift's good points, like the rigid headstrap. So the next gen or two should have all the best features.

None if you have a PS4, if you have too much money and want to spend it then just get an iPhone 7

Familia, VR is the future but it isnt ready yet, I tried it and it definitely needs a generation or 2

Or get a Galaxy S7 and a Gear VR for it.

If you already have the pc, vive.

VR Headsets simply haven't progressed to the point yet of reaching a decent consumer standard. The pricing is insane, motion sickness is common, and the device itself is chunky and relies on the prerequisite of a powerful PC.

Developers are already working on greater more compact headsets with a focus on internal GPU's with stable and high frame rates. The VR industry is projected to be worth 58 Billion USD in the coming years, just be patient and wait for a better contender to be developed.

Vive and Oculus will be a huge waste of time.

Waiting is smart. I'd only get HMDs now if you have the money to burn and really like that thing.

People who just say it will never happen are just idiots though.

yes sure

>a focus on internal GPU
Would this not just keep the cost of the headset up while also being less efficient than a single powerful GPU?

This. Make it smaller or more comfy and wireless but leave the processing to the pc.

It depends. If we look at a device like the Hololens (which uses an internal GPU) the projections for that devices price are currently far higher than the Vive or the Rift. However, when we factor in the price of a powerful PC along with power consumption, the other devices ultimately end up being more expensive even today.

Having an internal GPU is also far more efficient in the sense that you are no longer locked down to the dead-weight of the PC, and we will eventually reach a point where the need for the extra power that a high end PC GPU provides over a future internal VR GPU becomes unnecessary. Companies like Datacom that work closely with many companies including Microsoft already report advancements in which some companies have already developed a less powerful variant of the Hololens that is almost compacted down to the size of a pair of sunglasses. The freedom of movement and the compact nature of this kind of VR headset will allow the VR industry to reach far beyond just gaming. Think of the implications this will have on advertising, businesses, software suites, and social interaction. It's only a few years away.

Thanks for the informative response. The concept of getting away from a stationary PC makes this start to make much more sense. I hadn't thought about it too much outside of games and a few work related applications where I would still be beside a powerful PC.

No problem. It's all about convenience and accessibility, and it cuts off a lot of potential for the device if people have to be around a computer 24/7 for it to operate.

To my understanding a lot of companies are treating VR like the next smartphone (a device which is already on the decline) in that they want everyone to own one. You can obviously imagine the implications that a device that is the same size as a pair of Oakleys, capable of handling music, phone calls, advertisements, games, and advanced development software (among many other possibilities) will have on the market and first world societal interaction as a whole. There is a huge amount of profit to be made in making that fiction a reality. So it is in the current interest of the tech industry to work towards gradually developing a device that is both accessible to consumers and businesses, that can cover a wide array of functions, and to do that it MUST be portable.

This is all awesome but for people looking for high end immersive experiences desktop level GPUs are really necessary.

I don't doubt that for games. Again the technology is WIP, and VR headsets focused primarily on gaming have a place in the market.

My key points are the technology is only going to get better, and VR headsets shouldn't always be designed around such limitations.