Hollow Knight thread for those interested?

Hollow Knight thread for those interested?
Anyone beaten Steel Soul mode yet?

The main character is fucking huge in that pic

>Anyone beaten Steel Soul mode yet?
I think I'll wait a while before starting another run, I just 100%'d the normal mode

is this coming to 3ds? I hate playing 2d stuff on PC

It's coming to Switch

Do you get an upwards dash in this game?

Well, the Dream circles aren't really proof of anything. Those can happen outside of dreams, like when you hit one of the dream trees.
The teleportation, yeah, that makes a bit of a stronger case. Could also just be because of how they designed the place, I don't think you'd be able to get back the way you came in, although they could have just made a shortcut.
But is it really a dream? I got more that it was the counterpart to the Abyss's representation of death by being life. It's filled with Lifeflowers and buds grow out of it into the Abyss itself, which is otherwise completely devoid of life besides the shadow grub things. Which are half implied to not really be alive and be some manifestation of the Abyss itself since they don't seem to eat and even the Hunter is scared of them in a subconscious way.
Cycle of life and death, and part of why the Abyss holds down the Radiance so you can rip it open, since the Radiance was trying to break the cycle with its light.

No

So does this game have difficulty modes of some sort? Do you have to unlock them somehow? What's the difference between them?
I'm thinking of getting it but I'm afraid that it would be too easy and boring. Redpill me

why the fuck would they skip over the most popular handheld on the market? They could just release both.

Steel Soul mode is unlocked after you beat the game, it's permadeath mode

This game is comfy as fuck.

k then order cancelled.

Regular barebones isn't very hard. Final boss is even a pushover I'd say. Which is a design choice, thematically and for ah, well you have to beat him to fight the True Final Boss, and if you fail you have to fight the Final Boss again. So a design choice thematically and probably so you don't get frustrated by having to fight two hard bosses in a row, cause the True Final boss is not easy.
100% is a bit more difficult, some bosses and the Trial of Fools are unrelenting. There's a platforming section necessary for 100% that's on the level of Super Meat Boy.

If you beat the game at all you unlock Steel Soul mode, which is 1 life mode. Normally if you die you lose all your money and respawn at your last save point (bench) with reduced magic capacity until you reclaim your Shade where you last died. If you die before reclaiming your Shade you lose your money permanently and a new Shade pops up where you died again. You can be killed by your own Shade while trying to reclaim it.

How many bosses does this game have?
Including those one time encounters where you get locked in a room and shit spawns.

30+

I think there's 35 bosses in total I think they said, including Hornet 1 and 2. I dunno if that includes the Zote "fight". There's a couple gauntlets I guess I'd call them where you get locked in a room and have to fight a bunch of mobs.

There are two threads up right now. Just saying.

This one was made first.
By 20 seconds lel

Is there any other use than selling for Wanderer's Journals and Hallownest Seals?

No, they are only for geo and lore

I have bought everything in the Dirtmouth stores and I got like 5K from exploring, do I eventually get to spend this shit?

>people think the King of Hallownest, the Hollow Knight, and Radiance are the same entity
How can you possibly be this stupid

yes

Is the Colosseum notch and ore bug fixed yet for existing saves?

They're clearly all separate. The Hollow Knight's shade even holds down the Radiance while you attack it in the end sequence.
And the King was around well after the Hollow Knight became the Vessel.

The real question is whether the Pale King and the Wyrm are the same entity.

Seer confirmed that Pale King is Wyrm reborn.

Do I have to fight Mantis Lords if I choose to skip False Knight?
Is there a route that avoids both of them, like getting the lantern early and then going through resting grounds or something?

Not for existing saves.

Mantis Lords are optional anyway, you can get to the Deepnest from Queen's Garden or Ancient Basin.

Do you have the image of her saying that?
Would also be nice to have the giant grub's quotes. He says a lot about the Wyrm too, but his is less structured.

What a shame. Seems like I'll have to 100% twice at this rate. Thanks.

Yeah but if I can't get to City of Tears without the City Crest and I can't get to Deepnest without going through Mantis Lords, what other routes do I have?

Less incentive to buy the Switch.

>Mfw unlocking the elevator to Crystal Peak.

Just chills up and down my spine, god damn I love shit like that.

Can you get Crystal Dash without Double Jump? You could go to City of Tears through Blue Lake, right?

Seer and White Lady confirmed that the Pale King is Wyrm incarnet

So, how do I acess that kind of lift in the noble part of city of tears? There are other parts that I also can't acess unless I have some kind of a jump boost.

The 3DS can't handle this game, too much going on.

You have to do multiple playthroughs to get all the cheevos anyways. One for saving Zote, one for letting home die. One for killing the blacksmith, one for not killing him and finding him elsewhere.

Yes at your first question, dunno for the second.

...what?

down to dirtmouth I guess? It's one of the first routes you can take after you get the crystal booster dash.

ah

Just hit me that you need to have Dash to get Double Jump, so duh.

Anyway, I don't see why not when it comes to CoT through Blue Lake. Should work.

I think you can go up from the Mantis Village instead of down to the Mantis Lords and still reach Deepnest

Yeah thanks. So the plague is the Radiance, but why? Revenge for being forgotten? Because the Wyrm tried to suppress it the only form it could take is infection?

This may be a dumb question: where do I get the second white fragment?

You can definitely get crystal dash with just mothwing cloak and mantis claw, but I'm not sure what I'd do to get to ancient basin from crystal peak. I'm trying to do the lowest percentage possible and I already skipped false knight, got vengeful spirit, beat hornet and got the dash, trekked my way through fungal wastes and got the mantis claw but I'm not sure what to do next.
Should I just grind for the lantern, do crystal peak while skipping the boss and then fall into resting grounds, take the path down to City of Tears from the other direction and then try that?
Can't I get to deepnest through where the infected priest is and get the tram key first since I just got the claw?

Depends where you got the first one. You get one from White Palace and the other from the White Lady in Queen's Gardens

You can access Deepnest from Mantis Village and use it to access the Basin to get to the City of Tears.

Hey guys did you knew there is secret passage under this pier?

Thanks. I don't even know where White Palace is.

What's it lead to?

Ancient Basin, but you need an awakened Dream Nail

I found it. It hid a very dark secret.

this game is fucking great. Hard though.
Had to cheese my way though the second false knight fight. Pretty funny how they didn't consider you might enter the fight from the other side of the arena.

The fragment for the Charm the White Lady gives you? You'll need to upgrade the Soul Nail first before you can get it.

You'll figure it out.
Total mobility upgrades are
Dash
Wall Jump
Ground Pound
Double Jump
Invulnerable Dash

If you can't progress somewhere but got a mobility upgrade in the meantime, backtrack a bit and look for areas you couldn't previously access.

I noticed but considering how fucking buggy this game was I didn't bother to go down.

Fug

Should have go all the way.

He's trying not to kill Mantis Lords.

I don't remember it being possible to get to the Deepnest from Fungal Wastes without killing Mantis Lords, but if you can then that sounds like the best plan. You don't really need the lantern to get to the Resting Grounds though, I'd just run east through the Peak.

Considering user is dead in the image, I'm guessing you fall off the map.

>I don't remember it being possible to get to the Deepnest from Fungal Wastes without killing Mantis Lords
You can. I beat the game the other day without ever fighting them.

Probably, I don't think we have information on that

My headcanon is that Radiance was some kind of hive mind power going on(something relate to bugs and light perhaps?) and it unite the bugs.
Pale King appeared and freed the bugs from hive mind but it wasn't enough for the bugs to completely forgot about Radiance so he sealed Radiance away in Hollow Knight which was made from the void to contain the light.
So being sealed away in Hollow Knight it cannot emit anymore of its original power that's why it leak out into some kind of wide spread gooey orange thing to take control over infected bugs again to stop the PC character from resealing it.

>You don't really need the lantern to get to the Resting Grounds though
You need to get to Crystal Peak first, and you need either the lantern or ground smash for that.

O-of course no.

That's the only way he can reach City of Tears otherwise.

To get in the City of Tears you either need to defeat the False Knight for the City Crest or defeat the Mantis Lords and take the long route through Deepnest and the Basin.

This is basically the same headcanon as I have. The old light is alluded to as a kind of hivemind at several points, and the infection is also a hivemind.

Why can't you go through Blue Lake? Elevator won't come up?

That's ongoing popular hypothesis so far.

Yeah I just got to it, this is basically how I got there.
Unfortunately it seems like you can't get to the cartographer for the area without going in from the mantis' side so I'll just use an external map as reference in case I get really lost.
Then again I didn't even get the compass, so I can't say how useful the map would even really be here.

I suppose you could attempt that if you can reach it, I forgot about that route.
If you can reach it I don't see why that wouldn't work, unless the elevator won't activate. But I think I accessed the elevator from Resting Grounds first, so it should.

Oops.
Anyway, this route means I can get the tram pass and whatnot although I'm not sure whether I'm going to be needing crystal dash or isma's tear instead.

Is this worth a buy now or should I wait for the price to drop to peanuts? I like games focused on exploration and I find the artstyle appealing but unfortunately I'm quite shit at platformers (I still haven't finished AM2R because I can't reliably kill Omega Metroids).

have you considered gitting gud?

just finished true ending

boi that was intense
so let me get this straight..
The King pretty much mass produced the void creatures? and i assume the one we control is the purest and finest void, not the Hollow Knight (the young Hollow Knight seen in the abyss flashback). The Hollow Knight absorbed all infestation, but because he's not completely void or empty in a sense, the infestation manifested again (as seen in the opening scene)
am i getting this right

also
Is the White Lady the queen?

You need Crystal Dash to get the double jump which you need for the Watcher

Sounds about right, and yes

Please someone tell me what the fuck I get for moving this fucking flower to the other end of the god damn earth?

I am about to lose my shit. Is it necessary for the true ending or something? I watched a Youtube video and the guy got nothing for it.

Sealing was never going to last forever and Monomon knew that (one of the dreamers), not because Hollow Knight wasn't pure void. and yes to your question

Yeah that makes sense to me.
It also makes sense then why the last age's civilization seems to be so heavily intertwined with the Abyss. The Arcane Eggs and the Soul Statues take on a dark and in the latter's case horned look, and there's their structures in the Abyss itself. Would have meant it would have stood in opposition to the Radiance. Perhaps the Radiance destroyed the old civilization? Maybe "liberated" the bugs from the Abyss by pulling them into its hivemind? Was the ancient civilization evil? Is the Abyss evil? Is the Radiance good?

You get a Mask Shard.

Here's a tip. Large enemies only respawn if you save.

>The King pretty much mass produced the void creatures?
he was discarding failures until he made Hk he thought was perfect Vessel, yes.

The MC actually was considered to be a failure.

Well I got all the way to the final room with just running from everything. I fell on a spike and nearly pulled my teeth out.

>It also makes sense then why the last age's civilization seems to be so heavily intertwined with the Abyss.
>this guy with a fanfic again
>every thread tries to force his headcanon

What?

LOL I just fell on a spike trap in deepnest with full health and my screen went black and a few seconds later I die instantly for no reason with over 12000 geo about 5 miles from the bench. I assume this is just a common occurrence and nothing out of the ordinary, carry on.

i tried, but i only got bad.

try playing mega man 3, 4, 5, 6, and x until you can beat each and every one

Yeah I've encountered that glitch too.
I recommend just using the shaman in Dirtmouth.

You get a mask shard if you go back to the grey mourner after placing the flower.

If I may make a small addendum to this.
If you have the Tear that lets you swim in acid, going straight from Crossways to Fog Canyon is safer than detouring into the Fungal Wastes.

>mfw midwife

I wasn't expecting that.

please tell me this is the only bad area in the game

The Abyss is kinda spooky, but not as bad as that

It's the only area in the game like it, if that's what you mean.

What did the White Lady mean by calling the Hornet Gendered Child?

>mfw you have to feed her by letting her hit you

You are feeding her parts of yourself and she keep asking for more.

Haah.. Faphanada, mobadis.