Buy horror game

>buy horror game
>play it for an hour
>don't want to play anymore
Why do people like these things? If they're effective they're torturous.

fpbp

/thread

are you implying that you're scared of dead space

Just keep going, its only any scary at the start, then it just becomes a shooter that happens to have zombies

>buy dead space
>play it for a couple of minutes
>don't want to play it anymore

The input lag is fucking unbearable.

I normally agree, im not a fan of horror games for the most part, but Dead Space kept me playing cause I was pulled in by the story.
then Dead Space 2 and 3 kept me playing cause I enjoyed the development of Isaac Clarke's character, along with the developing story.
Im still hoping for a Dead Space 4, if not the vanilla ending for DS3 was enough for me

Because some people like the thrill of being scared

>Dead Space
>scary

you got me

Name one (1) horror game that's actually scary.

Protip: You can't.

>buy dead space at launch
>enjoy it for a few hours
>get stuck with very little ammo
>never touch it again

Dead Space isn't even horror. Christ man grow some balls.

The problem with Dead Space are the dumb puzzles that just take up time. Like moving objects with your force powers. Boring as fuck.

Penumbra spooked me pretty bad.

Yes. I think headphones and playing in the dark have a lot to do with it. There's an awful sense of unwieldiness, like it would take half a second to aim behind you, and every vent might produce an enemy. What really does it is the sound design, though. Walking over bodies sounds disgusting, your footsteps always carry this sense they might be disguising other footsteps, the psychotic auditory fray makes it seem like there's a ton of moving things just at the edge of your hearing, modern classical violin play almost constantly. It's really dreadful.

Because they're fun. Well, maybe not conventionally fun but the perverse kind of fun that horror provides. I've always liked the tense atmosphere that they provide, I think it's interesting.

>play it for an hour
>don't want to play anymore

that's what happens with every game now

that's a bug that's easily fixed.

tfw don't get scared by horror games.

Sometimes they're enjoyable though. Dead Space was alright and recently Resident Evil 7 was pretty good.

>buy game
>don't even download it

that's what happens with every game now

Getting scared by fiction can be fun. Overcoming the fear is satisfying especially in what you posted with Issac's boot stomps. The stress from some horror games causes shorter play sessions at first but it always draws me back in for more. They're also great with friends if someone hasn't played the game yet to get some live reactions to horrible things happening to their character, which is one reason why horror games make for easy Youtuber bait.

I find the stress from keeping a game character alive from awful fates like brutal decapitations or other visceral deaths refreshing from the everyday stress of school and work approaching on my days off.

>Grow up with heaps of jumpscare shit
>Played pretty much every good horror game out there
>desensitized to the point of not being scared anymore
>decide to play Thief: Deadly shadows for the first time
>The asylum level
>apparently its one of the scariest levels in any game ever made ever ever ever
>turn off the lights, only play it at night, with my best headphones on
>still didnt get spooked
help guys, i want to be scared again, i want to have to turn off a game because im to spooked, i want to have to only play scary games in the morning or else nighttime is to scary. this isnt a blessing, its a curse

Turn off V-sync

People can say what they want about DS1's pacing - personally I think it takes too many opportunities and rarely tries to fake out the player for variety's sake - but in terms of the ambiance created from visuals to sound design to enemy concepts, DS1 is top shelf stuff even if it is a bit heavy handed in its approach. At worst, I'd say it's a slightly better RE4.

I bought Alien Isolation and refunded it after 2 hours because it wasn't very scary

No meme I actually got really freaked out at the water level in amnesia

I hate horror games but dead space has that aliens vibe. I fucking love part 1 and 2. 3 is too much action though.

alien isolation was good too but you feel really powerless in that game.

>Why do people like these things? If they're effective they're torturous.
because like true art, it makes you feel. that rush is great when your are trying to escape and you survive.

>The game whispers sweet nothings into your ears as you play
10/10 would get unsettled again

The alien takes a while to actually make an impact on proceedings, perhaps too long. It also drags on for a few hours longer than it really needed to. The middle 60% of the game or so, however, is fantastic.

Only used the cutter my first run, was top fun, wish it was scarier, or gorier.

I still haven't played 2 or 3. Either worth a go? Heard 3 was shit.

The one with the invisible monster? cause that was honestly one of the last time i felt spooked!

Perseverance can be a form of entertainment too, user-kun. Are there for sure zombies in the next room? Yup. But you have to face your fear and go in there anyway!

2 is good but faster paced. adds a bit more action elements. but theres a part where you revisit the ship from the first game that was every bit as creepy as DS 1.

how about you face your real fears

Like the ever-present fear of death?
You can't fight that.

What do you do if you run out of money for ammo and run out of ammo? Punch the aliens to death?

use stasis and melee them, use kinesis to throw shit like gas canisters at them, or just run away

It did?

It does have a suberb sound design, maybe even the best ever in gaming, and overall atmosphere. Minus the part where Isaac stomps all the enemies into the ground.

>buy dead space
>play it for few hours
>never want to play it again
Is this game suppose to be scary or something? I played it for like 2-3 hours and it was same boring brown tube with same boring alien jumpscare whole time. It does get better...right? This is really the game everyone hailed as one of the best games of last gen? REALLY?

These. Anxiety and suspense can have a paradoxical effect and make you want to continue playing to see what happens next. The satisfaction of overcoming a perfectly timed jumpscare or enemy encounter after a large build-up is immensely satisfying.

>the vanilla ending for DS3 was enough for me
DLC ending was better.

>Getting scared in video games

Outside of losing progress in a game due to a punishing save system or permadeah, fucking how do people get scared?

I don't get it. How jump-scares can frighten anyone for more then a few seconds?
I'm more of a anmesia-penumbra type of guy. In dead space you have a fucking plasma cutter and time slower, how can you be afraid with that kind of backup?

I'm a wuss but Dead Space isn't scary.

I wouldn't touch the Condemned games with a 10 foot pole though.

>Condemned
i have never ever
fuck that shit alright

DS is atmosphere.
Condemned is jump scare + atmosphere which truly creates a sense of fear and panic at times.

DS1 is a 10 hours long jumpscare. It's also a pretty gud game and probably the best out of three.

i would call it more atmospheric than scary but yeah if the beginning didn't suck you in then you're better off just dropping it, there are no radical changes to the gameplay or the environment for the vast majority of the game that you wouldn't have experienced already

five nights at freddy fazbears pizzeria

It's fun to get spooked and see freaky shit. The only time a game becomes so dreadful that it isn't even worth playing is when it's constantly filled with loud noises or jump scares around every single corner. At that point it just becomes too stressful and the only scares are your natural instinctive responses to startling sounds and imagery.

For example P.T., I played through that demo one time and it was just a constant barrage of babies crying, loud footsteps, women screaming, loud "BRRRRIIINGGGG" jump scare noises around every single corner and behind every single door. It was just sensory fucking overload and it wasn't fun at all.

Dark Souls isn't scary at all you idiot

The only part that spooked me in A:I is when you have to eject the pod with the Alien in it, and it's one straight corridor with a circular room at the end, so you literally have to slip past. It caught sight of me at the last second and i nearly shit myself.