>open world

>open world

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>exiting a mission area

Who are you trying to fool

It's almost like developers have limited time and money and can't make an entire planet worth of content.

Then don't advertise as a open world game

>mfw I tried to reach the edge of the world map in fallout 3

I guess Minecraft is the only open world game ever created then.

despite this it's a good game

Honestly if you can't create restrictions for the player without resorting to this cheap shit, just get good.

>locked in a mission area
>in an open world game

Watching someone else play. They decided to explore near the edge of the map because it seemed like there was some cool/interesting formation there.

This message popped up for a second, but as he was sprinting in game he didn't catch it in time and the game reset to his last save losing his recent progress.

Almost happened to him again as he was trying to collect an item marked on the map that was just close enough to the world edge that taking the indirecr path brought up the message.

Really makes you second think about exploring near the map edge as you may lose progress because they didn't put some other blocker. The fact that it can happen pretty quickly is also annoying.

Just make the rest of the map basic bitch nothingness and label it as a dead zone where robots don't work idk.

Simple shit.

>open world mission area
youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

GOTY

Or Breath of the Wild.

Why the fuck don't they just do the "you can't go any further" message and have an invisible wall? It's not a great solution but there's a reason so many games do it over fucking with your progress with a forced reload

This. I don't mind walls because I can understand the map cannot go on forever... but losing your progress for exploring is quite dumb and should get patched.

Natural walls like canyons or mountains should be the elegant solution, tho.

Stop smoking what you're smoking. BOTW has invisible walls at its egdes plus a warning prompt much like in OP's picture

Here's a thinker Sup Forums... Would you rather have:

1. invisible walls

2. un-climbale/un-passable terrain like a sheer cliff face or a giant pit or what have you that essentially acts as a wall

3. bullshit like in the OP

>decide to explore island on the middle of map
>GTFO faget, nothing to see here

none of those are in Zelda :^)

open-world means a giant map, nothing else really. it's up to the developer to make it worthile exploring

Or a border patrol that fucks your shit up.

4. warp players to the other side if they leave on one side

5. some strong as fuck enemies that fuck your shit

two worlds 2?
that game has a kick ass magic system

fuck off shill

yep, though there is some shit in coast lines in the middle island, but cant go into the fucking inland of it, kicks you back to coast

Nothing ring with structured missions games like mgsv would have benefited greatly from it

If it's something that will kill you, then it's just the same as the game reloading your last save.

I thought about terrain that slowly harms you, encouraging you to return. But again if you die it's the same issue or you're in a bad position once you return due to low health. It could work as a risk vs reward thing as you will lose health to skip around a section but be able to approach something in a different way.

Valleys would be bad again as if you fall in, it's another death which has the same purpose as reloading.

1 and 2 are in Zelda

Giant cliff BUT you can climb it in your motorbike and when you reach the stop is slingshots you back onto the map

But at least with the valleys there is a definite line you can see that will cause death instead of the unclear edge in horizon where it looks perfectly passable.

They could have put in a visual cue to let you see the map edge. With the tech it could be somewhat within the rules of the world

I loved that shit
Wasn't that in a lot of motorbike games back then? I remember it being in more than one.

ATV offroad fury & MX vs. ATV Unleashed were the shit

>Natural walls like canyons or mountains should be the elegant solution, tho.

The entire game world being set in a basin or crater is dumb as fuck though

as shit as the combat and as half finished as the content in that game were, they sure had a damn solid engine that would run on a toaster while looking just as good as any other game of that time