Ocarina of Time:

Ocarina of Time:
>Hyrule field is just so big and EMPTY! It's just filler!
Breath of the Wild
>Oh, wow, this world is so BIG! It's amazing!!!

BotW's overworld could have been half the size. 90% of it is NOTHING. Is that what all open world games are like?

yes

breath of the wild is the best of its kind

but its kind is shit

So you'd like it better if the map was just a tiny square with everything rammed side by side?

yeah, but that's kind of the point. there is something about being surrounded by a giant breathing world even if it's a little empty.

maybe. yakuza is pretty fun.

Yep. Open world games are horrible but botw is just the best one

Yeah, that way you get to experience the content without wasting time running for 70% of the time.

inb4 hurrdurr horizon zero dawn, but that game has a very dense open world. theres always dino camps everywhere and just walking to your destination will have you constantly engaged. the world feels alive with wildlife that doesnt disappear in 8 steps too.

the difference between OoT and BoTW is that in ocarina of time you can only do a few thinks there's a few places to bomb secret areas place to fight monsters and thats it really.
but in breath of the wild there are places that always want you to explore even more the map is fleshed out with so much interesting regions and small details that really make you want to go to everything
you could be heading over to do a simple puzzle and on the way you find a hidden chest, and outpost camp, a couple of korok spots and
sometimes even random events that you wouldn't normally see IE a shooting star.
your thread is shit and you are shit for trying to compare the two. they are both extremely different in what they portray so get shit on

Epic falseflag, yet people will still take it seriously cause this website is underage.

something i liked about horizon was that they basically just took the uncharted stealth of tall grass everywhere and really stupid enemies and made it open world.

So you prefer Ubisoft games?

>Is that what all open world games are like?
i picked up the new nier and it's super empty. the game is still fantastic and i know the point is that it's desolate, but damn.

fpbp, as usual

The problem is that you can go an area the size of Hyrule field without seeing a single one of these "interesting regions or small details".

>my point is of absolute no value to the threads topic and I myself admit it
>post it anyway
You are everything that is wrong with this board, kill yourself.

dense map full of content
>omg bloated and cluttered
>there's too much to do
>it feels so compact and small

big open world
>omg there's no content
>there's so much empty space, it's so dead
>i have to run a while between my missions

>Hyrule field is just so big and EMPTY! It's just filler!
who has ever said this besides you

But if they made the world half the size, it'd also need half the shrines, and I'm way too much of a socially inept autistic OCD retard to handle that!

Nothing will ever inspire so much wonder and awe at the thought of the places you could go than the first time I ever stepped foot in Hyrule field for the first time, to the point where even now haven beaten countless times I still get the same feeling.

Saves time trekking to the next warp point as you will never traverse the majority of the map again once you can start fast traveling everywhere.

>Wow this rural Wyoming sucks! Why dont they make it more like chicago!?

Until you realise you can't go anywhere because you don't have the right items yet

I have to wonder where the meme of complaining about Hyrule field came from. As a kid, it was pretty fucking amazing, and I think it's just the right size, and once you get your horse, it's pretty awesome to gallop all over it. I'm pretty sure that's one of the biggest reasons they put it in there, apart from just to impress you.

>trying to legitimately compare video games to real life
Why don't they just put cancer and heart disease into video games, too? That would be great.

That's one of the best feelings of a Zelda game, and it's sorely missing from BotW, because the world is just too fucking big to make it practical. In a smaller, more focused game environment, you see interesting things and remember them for when you can come back with the proper equipment, and it's so fucking satisfying. That moment when you get a new item and suddenly realize all the new places you can go. Probably the best thing about a well-designed Zelda, in my opinion. BotW is just too big, they couldn't put places all over the map that require a certain item or tool you get later, because chances are you'd never make your way back to half of them. This is why they gave you pretty much every item and ability at the start of the game. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not nearly as satisfying.

Name me an open world game where 90% of it isn't nothing
Open world's only work for spiderman/prototype

Sounds like shadows of Mordor or bamham

OP here. That's why I asked. This is my first open world game. It's fun, but mostly filler. Beats the shit out of Skyward Sword with its backtracking and repeated boss fights, so far, though.

It doesn't bother me that people are defending BotW's open, big world. It deserves to be defended. But what bothers me is that these same people were shitting on open world games on other platforms for years, for the same reasons. But now that it's a Zelda game it's suddenly okay?

Literally not the case. There are enviroment puzzles everywhere. Maybe youre bad at the game. Honestly, every time I thonk I found an "empty" area it actually has purpose. There is no empty space in BOTW, just empty minds that play it

>There is no empty space in BOTW, just empty minds that play it
Holy shit what a faggot.

Oh my fucking god you retard

>If I keep repeating BOTW is shit maybe people will believe me

Never gonna happen Sony-chan

>BotW is just too big

Well, it's what 2D Zelda do

That's the point. It's big but there's also enemies that will push your shit in if you're not properly equipped. There's also a tone of landmarks and places you can easily miss if you just climb and glide all the time. There's also so many shrines and lairs to earn shit that you might need later.

Ocarina also makes it so areas are inaccessible unless you have a certain item and money comes easier or at least passively. BoTW makes it so that you get the most basic things you need to explore the world except warm clothing, so you can either face off Ganon from there or just get yourself prepped.

Really if we're talking about destinations, that comes easy but the game encourages you to explore those middle parts with the incentive of getting richer or stronger as your reward if not hopefully picked up some tools to become richer or stronger.

900 Korok seeds aside, the only REAL justification for the huge world is to make sure climbing and gliding to other locations is a practical way to travel to destinations rather than "easy mode" but going on foot or on horseback means you checking out what's in between rather than blowing your whistle to go back and forth for supplies.