PlayStation 2 Nostalgia Thread

Friendly reminder that the PlayStation 2 is the greatest most iconic video gaming console of all time, and nothing can or will ever change that.

ITT: Talk about this beautiful piece of technology and all the fun memories you had with it.

>cruising around Bullworth in a go-kart and running over the nerds and preppies
>driving through the San Andreas desert with Alice in Chains' "Them Bones" on the radio
>The Goddamn Simpsons Motherfucking Hit and Run

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eHinXVffWjQ
pulsar.ebay.com/plsr/clk/0/SADS/9?pld={"mecs":"3321389841620b10fe54e5e843b083c54d4be2b16865","enc":"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"}
youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=eHinXVffWjQ

I just got a PS2 repaired because it was modded.

Used ps2, network adapter, 240 GB hdd, and a fmcb memory card.

Free games and faster load times all for less than $100

Reminder it has to be a fat ps2.

However first generation ps2 slims have the pinout for the adapter on the motherboard.

How much are used PS2's where you live?

Psx had more classics. Even the snes did

Shadow of Rome is so goddamn good, I even enjoy the stealth parts, why is this game so underappreciated?

PS1, psp, Vita are better. PS4 will be at the end of its lifespan

best thing PS2 has is the Ace Combat trilogy

most of the 2001 meme releases aren't 10/10s outside of generic reddit lists

Fuck off.

Games like God Hand, Yakuza 1+2, Persona 3 and 4 and ace combat make the system better than a vita and psp at least.

PS1 I can argue though because I love alot of ps1 games.

PS2 was only good because it was backward compatible with the PS1

Either way the PS1 was much more iconic in that it massively expanded the market for video games by being considered 'cool' even by 20-somethings.

>PS2 is considered retro and nostalgic now

You have no idea how old this makes me feel.

>PSP and PS Vita are better than PS2

Low tier trolling.

>tfw still have my PS2

it's not

the most "recent" console allowed on /vr/ is Dreamcast, the rest of Gen 6 isn't retro

You still gotta admit the PS2 came out in the U.S. 17 years ago. That's a long time.

>2007 was 10 years ago

>TFW still have my PS2 out, even if I haven't used it in years

I can't bare to put it back in the box.

Friendly reminder about the tons and tons of great games on the PS2

>PSX

fag

>Reminder it has to be a fat ps2.
Not necessarily if you can keep it close to your PC, in that case all that's needed is to connect the HDD to your pc and a cross cable.
Or if you already have a slim, cross cable + raspberry pi 1/2/3 to use as server for the games.

>most iconic
>not the S/NES
Come on now.

If I was a complete autist, I'd buy all of the games on this list right now.

budokai 3 is my shit. i still play it with friends

>TFW no friends to play old vidya with

I liked the launch PS3 better (all time favorite console thus far), but the PS2 was a great system at the time.

What? PS3 launch was a disaster.

It didnt get good until the last half of its lifetime. The first half was totally dominated by the 360.

tfw we need /v2k/ because /vr/ autists don't consider a 17 year old console retro.

they like to throw hissy fits about GBA also but people regularly talk about it ignoring the autist
its funny that alto of people dont see the hypocrisy in letting the dream cast be ok but not ps2

But that's not what we were talking about.

I find the launch PS3 to be the best because it had hella good PS1 emulation, the PS2 engine built in, a shit ton of classic games available for cheap online, upscaling to fill an HDTV built-in, HDMI as an option, no memory card requirements (just builds virtual ones), 1st party wireless controllers, as well as the ability to play PS3 games.

I love the PS2, but the launch version of the PS3 is a superior console in every sense of the word.

>a shit ton of classic games available for cheap online

Really? Didn't it take ages for PSN to get classic games?

I talk ps2 on there constantly just to see if the mods will enforce their stupid ass rule

Protip: They don't

No clue, but you seem to be thinking that I'm talking about a specific point in time, rather than a specific hardware iteration of the PS3.

Happened to my PS2 Fat.

That happened to my DBZ Budokai 2 user, it still pains me

IT'S TIME to mod your PS2 and play games via an eHDD.

just open it up and adjust the lens
I was able to frankenstein 2 working ps2's out of 3 broken ones in middle school, worst part was connecting the ribbon cable from disc drive to the ps2 since it was tiny and short and then you had to clamp it down to secure it

>lost dualshock 2 over the years
>finally found some cables to hook the fucker up
>only have original dualshock 1
>almost all my "horror" games and basically any fucking fun game requires dualshock 2
>cant find one for umder 30 dollars anywhere

Feels like shit man, i jave all these gems that stood the test of time and cant play em

Weird. I though DS1s and DS2s were interchangable.

What I would REALLY like is to play PS1 and PS2 games using a DS4, though. But that shit is spotty just playing PS3 games. How the fuck Sony could make it to where the PSTV (which nobody was interested in) could handle a DS4, but couldn't be assed to make it work just as well for the PS3, to rake in sheckles for people who hate the DS3, is beyond me.

>tfw still have fat ps2 with the firewire port

It blows. Supposedly the dualshock 2 had sensitive commands that depend how hard you push the action buttons. Silent hill 2 had this but i never noticed if it worked. But its a hit and miss with the control. I know later games obligated you to use a dualshock 2, though.

Ill probably cave in and buy it from some random fucker from craigslist and get ripped off.

In middle school? Damn, now I feel stupid.

Yea I was poor as shit and some friends gave me their broken ps2's instead of throwing them away at my request during the 7th grade and when mine broke I opened them up using a kitchen knife as a screwdriver and just figured shit out
also stripped the fuck out of some screws and broke the inside of one of the cases that held the power and eject buttons in

Found plenty for under 30 bucks on ebay.

pulsar.ebay.com/plsr/clk/0/SADS/9?pld={"mecs":"3321389841620b10fe54e5e843b083c54d4be2b16865","enc":"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"}

Autism tells me to buy a vertical stand

>bought onimusha dawn of dreams without much thought since it was new
>had the most fun of my life

Bought one at the end ps2 lifespan
Feels good

it isnt considered retro because it got games even a long time after the ps3 released

I just pulled out my ps2 because I wanted to play drakengard and I couldn't get it working properly on an emulator.
For some reason the controller kept disconnecting but otherwise I had a blast.

It's modded so I use openps2loader to load up the isos directly from my server pc.

>just open it up and adjust the lens
v9-v13 PS2s (last few fats and first few slims)
literally burn out the laser-diode due to software-fuckups causing the laser-control to turn the power up to 11 and stay there.
no adjusting will fix that.

>last ps2 fat with support for network-adapter is quiet af, perfect battlestation
>first ps2 slim has support for soldering an ide-port to it
>both have massive issues with the laser
the pain is real

Hahahaha! Of course not kid. The nes is the most iconic. Then is the psx.
>TFW you play Resident evil 2, Metal gear solid and FF VII for the first time.

>Nes is the most iconic
Swing and a miss. SNES is way more iconic.

Just pulled out my old PS2 for the first time in years to play Canis Canem Edit. Holy fuck it's still so much fun.

His favorite memories are two Rockstar games and a not that fun gta Simpson clone LOL

>v9-v13 PS2s (last few fats and first few slims)
>literally burn out the laser-diode due to software-fuckups causing the laser-control to turn the power up to 11 and stay there.
>no adjusting will fix that.
Just because that might be the case it doesn't mean it is.
I have a SCPH-50004(dont know which version, should be v11 since it has a very quiet fan, but i'm not sure so it could be anything from v9 to v11, hence it's one of the ones you mentioned) bought in 2004 and it started giving me disc read errors only a few years ago, 2012 or 2013, all I did was opening it up and adjust the lens a bit, and it worked again and still does.

>playing Burnout 3
>playing NFSU2
>playing MGS3
>Onimusha series
>SOCOM 1 & 2
>staying up late playing San Andreas, exploring the forests in the country

youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM

I'll add to those

>grinding (hue) to get every skate ranch piece in THAW
>trying and failing to git gud in the GT3:A-Spec career thingy because I was a retarded kid who didn't understand anything about the game
>playing with the Arsenal invincible squad in FIFA 04 and 05

I miss good shovelware games.

Remember when disney or other movies have a tie in video game release with it?

Some of those tie in games were the best games of my childhood

I remember Capcom making Aladin for the SNES. Was actually a really good game. They padded it by 2 levels, and cut content, but the game was actually pretty fun.

>fun
There's that buzzword again

>Resident evil outbreak on that list

brings a tear to my eye

I wanna touch Maries no no zone!!

>its funny that alto of people dont see the hypocrisy in letting the dream cast be ok but not ps2
the purpose was that a lot of PS1 and N64 games were also on dreamcast but talking about the dreamcast versions wasn't /vr/. the other 6th gen consoles don't suffer that to the same extent.

So I found old consoles in an old store selling old Japanese surplus and is run and owned by an old Japanese couple. Is it worth the effort of buying a Japanese ps2 from them and modifying it to run isos burned into dvds? I'm thinking to just find a localized ps2 or something instead. Something tells me the modifications will be a pain to do

Nothing will ever compare to San Andreas desu

>AIC
meinneger.jpg

thats not the NES

Why the fuck did they change the title? Bully is easier and you get what's the game about, anyway the PS2 is the best version to me.

Still the GOAT console.
Dat diverse library.
Dat PS1 Backwards Compatibility.

I still don't like when you turn it on.

Grand Theft Auto 3 was literally perfect when no reviewer gave out 10s

I remember when I got my 360 and realized how much the games lack in comparison to ps2's library. It really was a golden era for games.