Okay boys, I'm looking to get into that hack and slash shit like Devil May Cry and NieR

Okay boys, I'm looking to get into that hack and slash shit like Devil May Cry and NieR.

Now I think NieR looks pretty fun, but is it necessary to play Drakengard first?

Also, should I buy DMC 1 and 3 for PS2 or should I buy the HD collection for Xbox360?

[inb4 people tell me not to play DMC: Devil May Cry, Do I play the other games before that, or is it okay to start with that one]

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?
youtube.com/watch?v=b5v7NLT5fS0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Buy DMC1 & 3: Special Edition on PS2 or emulate them.

Buy DMC4: SE on PC.

>is it necessary to play Drakengard first?
I just watched a plot synopsis about the whole setting leading up to N:A, and it left me more confused. Honestly I think playing Drakengard would only raise further questions.

Any reason why they're better on ps2 than the hd collection?

Don't listen to this fuck >3: Special Edition on PS2 or emulate them.
or pirate the PC version and install this
nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

Installation has been so streamlined retards can do it, no fucking around with some other third party software needed like previous versions.
Work around for sound engine is implemented, so you don't have to delete music files anymore.
You can enable/disable styleswitching in the .ini amongst many other gameplay tweaks or changes you may or may not want.

Go ahead man, Drakengard is a special kind of shit.

DMC is the proper hack n slash though, not Nier.

Nier automata is the only game in its franchise that even resembles dmc, the others are not worth playing for its hack and slash

there is none. However, DMC is a shitty franchise for autists after the admittedly amazing first game and very polarizing third game that does some things right and some wrong. DMC2 is shit, DMC4 is shit, DmC is mediocre. The real holy trinity of hack and slash is Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC1 and Bloodborne. None of these games fall for the autist trap that DMC sequels did fall into, focusing more on being "flashy" and wannabe singleplayer fighting games instead of providing visceral action against actually threatening enemies

Nier is not a good game for gameplay and Drakengard is even worse. I'm guessing you're basing your opinions off of Nier Automata, but that game was made by Platinum that does actions games. Nier and Drak aren't made by them and although that doesn't really need to be made by Plat, it's still a really shit game for what it is. You would not be having fun with it. The story is meh.

Thwy're is only minor differences, you can get either or. DMC3 HD has one move that doesn't work, but it's a useless move that you wouod jever use anyway.

Also, God Hand is the best in the genre, so make sure you get around to that.

What does DMC3 do wrong? Why do you prefer 1 over 3?

>Bloodborne
>Hack and Slash

DMC3 has many enemies that are very easy to fight, a lot of fun in the game comes from just playing around with enemies and killing them as stylishly as possible, as opposed to the game being a battle for survival. It's still a great game though, one of the best in the genre, it's only real problem being enemy designs, but some people prefer it when it's not designed around flashy moves.

Dull, colorless visuals and lousy environmental design in general, bosses are quantity over quality, reusing of areas/ backtracking is bad, mostly every "gimmick" enemy is horrible (anything that flies, the knights)

DMC1 on the other hand has meticulously designed levels both from a level design and artistic perspective, the encounter design is better and so is the actual enemy design (every enemy is threatening, even the basic mannequins come in different variations and each can fuck you up)

bosses are all great, especially Nero Angelo and Nightmare B that changes depending on how you handle each encounter

I suggest watching link related
youtube.com/watch?v=b5v7NLT5fS0

It is as much a "hack and slash" as DMC1 and NGB, they all just have different priorities. The thing these all have in common is that none of them are buttonmashers which is what the common man nowadays attributes to "hack and slash" while in reality they are talking about glorified beatemups

Why would you recommend a video that shows the entire game?

None of these games have anything to do with "spoilers" and are 100% dependent on actually doing it yourself to experience it. Its an in-depth commentary of DMC1 and adequately shows exactly why its the only DMC worth paying attention to. Play DMC3 if you really want a different flavor of DMC1

>reusing of areas/ backtracking is bad
Except DMC1 does. Didn't bother reading the next.

How fucking stupid are you? I said the reusing of areas/ backtracking is bad in DMC3. The level design of DMC1 actually uses backtracking effectively instead of "run though X level backwards"

I don't think Nier could be considered similar to DMC at all, it's an action brawler but the mechanics are too simplistic compared to DMC or even Bayonetta.

I'm not the OP, I've played every game in the series and have seen the video, but your ruining your first experience of the game by watching a video like that. Story spoilers may be irrelevant, but if you watch that video then you'll see how every boss fights, how to counter them, what every area in the game looks like and so on. These are all things that you're better off experiencing for yourself.

I didn't necessarily imply that they were similar, I just want to get into both of them, and wanted to hear everyone's opinion.

>The level design of DMC1 actually uses backtracking effectively instead of "run though X level backwards"
And how fucking nostalgia blinded are you. DMC1 does it the fucking same as DMC3. Even more easier to notice when the fucking game has like 3 locations, Castle/Forrest/Cavern.

OP here, I'm not planning on watching any walkthroughs on these games because I do indeed want to experience them for myself.
Thanks for all of your input so far

>n-nostalgia..

I should invalidate whatever retarded youre "saying" based on this alone since I played them all for the first time on the HD collection

DMC1 levels take 5-10 minutes to beat and whenever backtracking is involved its usually a hallway or two towards an area that was locked before, completely different than in DMC3 where they turn the level backwards and shift something menial around

>The real holy trinity of hack and slash is Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC1 and Bloodborne
>Not DMC3:SE, Bayonetta, and NGB
If you're including BB you might as well toss in the 3D Zeldas.

>dmc1 is good meme

Literally a half assed residents evil game and that shit is completely boring to play simce no styles or any variety to its combat.

Even the story and characters besides dante suck ass.

Dmc1 just has hard hitting enemies but doesn't matter if fighting them is boring as shit.

DMC3 is the real devil may cry game that actually defined its place in the hack and slash genre. Even the reboot is more fun that fucking 1.

>If you're including BB you might as well toss in the 3D Zeldas.

Yes, because zelda has over 20 weapons with movesets rising up to the 30's and bosses with 3 phases each, almost all more complex than most genuine "hack and slash" bosses from shit games like DMC4

Bayonetta is a meaningless DMC knockoff, the only thing I can give to that franchise is that its a much better set of sequels to DMC1 than its own sequels ever were

>m-muh styles :(

way to out yourself as a child, the "styles" are literally nothing but incompetence from the developers part combined with the lousy playstation hardware. Ninja Gaiden was able to fit hundreds of moves onto Ryu without fucking needing to keep blocking and strong attack as something that you select between the missions

>bosses are all great

There's like 4 or 5 bosses in the game and only 2 of them are worth mentioning, phantom and nero

>Yes, because zelda has over 20 weapons with movesets rising up to the 30's and bosses with 3 phases each, almost all more complex than most genuine "hack and slash" bosses from shit games like DMC4
and yet BB does?

>Nostalgiafag
>Bloodborne is hack and slash
You're blinded by nostalgia and fanboyism

Yes? Are you retarded?

Ludwig for example has a laughably large moveset, covering every side of the boss making "just circle it durr" shit implausible, and even then the fight completely changes during the third phase

Well "argued" retard

>phantom
That thing was a boss?

there is no third phase user

>Third phase
Second phase retard.
DMC3 is better than 1 you dumb nig. I don't give a shit if you like spooky atmosphere. 3 is superior in every way except for maybe some of the bosses

Way to out yourself as a shitter

Dmc isn't NG and styles are the defining point in DMC franchise and being able to switch them on the fly in 4 makes combat 10 times more fun, people even modded that shit on the pc version of 3 since everyone loves that shit. Nobody replays DMC1 since that shit has no replayablity and has far less options in combat.

Its sad you're ranking something as top tier like Bloodborne to that trash DMC1 when that game is 100 times more varied in combat than DMC1

Are you retarded? Almost all bosses in bloodborne have THREE phases, although youre obviously too retarded to know this

Gascoigne introduces this mechanic by going from Axe to halberd to beast. Ludwig first increases his moveset in phase two by things like the ceiling cling and the ranged attacks before going to phase 3 at half HP

The reason nobody else does "styles" in games is because theyre fucking shit that only lock depth behind additional clunky controls instead of having one coherent control scheme with all mechanics fitted into it. Youre just an easy to entertain retard with zero insight into the inner workings of games

I like both DMC1 and DMC3 for different reasons.

>Bloodborne
>Varied
Only when compared to dmc1

You only mention Ludwig you stupid fuck. I don't think using one or two moves counts as a phase.
>literally too retarded for styles

>The reason nobody else does "styles" in games is because theyre fucking shit that only lock depth behind additional clunky controls instead of having one coherent control scheme with all mechanics fitted into it. Youre just an easy to entertain retard with zero insight into the inner workings of games

and yet you claim you do when you fail to realize why styles adds so much more options that couldn't be done with "normal" control scheme

also consider bayonetta, vanquish and ninja gaiden.

>MGR>GoW2>Dante's Inferno
fight me

I can't because you put the only good one on your list at the top

Spiderman Web of Shadows > every game on earth
fite me

They literally add nothing. Putting an additional press of the D pad in between blocking and a secondary attack button because all this shit apparently needs to be mapped to the same face button instead of smartly sacrificing shit like the dodge rolls and mapping trickster moves there for example escapes the lazy developers trying to capitalize on the idiots eating this shit up

>durr you only mention one of the best bosses as an example of why this game is good

How fucking stupid are you? Do people also talk about the gigapede when trying to make out DMC3 as a good game? Every boss in bloodborne that isnt the cleric beast, Micolash or the witches of hemwick has 3 phases. The shadows transform and eventually start summoning snakes, Rom gets new moves with every phase, Gehrman signifies the phase changes with the AOE explosions and gets new moves with each phase. Amygdala gets new moves and eventually tears out two arms in phase 3, etc etc. Play the fucking game

what about orphan of kos

>pressing a button to change a state is hard, guys
Lmao. I bet you drive an automatic

Don't have to fight with a shit taste
PG combat is always bad, except maybe Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, but that's for different reasons

Oh right, another one with only two phases

>durr pressing an additional button in between these two actions makes it deeper!!1

go kill yourself kid

>pressing literal arrow keys to switch to whatever you want is clunky

Wew, what a shitter.

try mapping every move in DMC4 into a control layout that is reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden or even Bayonetta.
I dare you.

>durr I only mentioned one boss to boss to prove this game is good
Fuck off faggot. You only like these games because muh spooky
Micolash doesn't have a new phase because he just moved to a new location to fight in him like he has the whole time. And Micolash and witches of hemwick are shit bosses

>They literally add nothing

You can't map all those 6 different styles controls in to the same control scheme without seperating them in to modes you can switch from retard. Just because you named one plausible suggestion for a single move doesn't mean all the other dozens can be mapped like that

Old boyfriend did it in his free time

LB is contextual dependent on other conditions
RB is lock on
Left stick is movement
Right stick is camera and click it to devil trigger
Y is melee with weapon 1 (hold LB to swordmaster)
X is melee with weapon 2 (hold LB to swordmaster)
B is guns (hold LB to gunslinger)
A is jump (hold LB to trickster)
LT is royal guard and RT switches Y to be another melee weapon

gun switching is mapped to DPAD and BACK is taunt

How fucking stupid are you? I just said Micolash is one of the exceptions, and even he has a phase 2 where he starts to use A Call Beyond and melee attacks

You can start at DMC3 if you want. It's a good entry with well polished core mechanics, it's considered the best complete game in the series and story wise it's also chronologically the first one. It also actually has a pretty great story, good voice acting and lots of memorable scenes as well despite people saying not to play the series for the story.

You can either
-Emulate the PS2 version of DMC3:SE. Runs smooth as butter even on worse rigs like it was built to be emulated.
-Get the HD collection for consoles.
-Supposedly mods fix the horrible official PC port of DMC3:SE and add some new stuff as well, but I haven't tried them out myself.

Other pointers:
-For DMC3:SE play as Dante on your first playthrough. Vergil is extra character added in SE and doesn't have his own story or cutscenes apart from one short opening.
-Similarly for DMC4:SE play the Nero & Dante campaign first. Lady, Trish and Vergil are extra characters with no proper story campaign as in DMC3.
-Turn off Automatic mode. It makes the game automatically perform random combos for you.
-For DMC3 remember to play on GOLD continue system. YELLOW continue system makes you restart the entire level if you die which can be really infuriating if the level ends with a hard boss fight, whereas Gold system uses checkpoints. Dying still heavily penalizes your rating so it's not like it's some scrub mode.
-And speaking of penalties, using inventory items like health packs or holy water also affects your rating heavily and the game is balanced around not using them.

DmC: Devil May Cry is an outsourced, bastardized Western reboot and it's non-canon due to conflicting with established story and characters.

>being a literal fag
I know that and like it or not most bosses have two

Not him, but this is some PG-tier shit control scheme, get this outta here

Yes, everyone who has a boyfriend is a homosexual. Go kill yourself autist

>D-durr remap the controls into one fluid scheme
>okay
>
<
>
<
>w-well thats some PG t-tier s-s-shit

>Context sensitivity is superior to modes.
>Having less options at any given moment is better than having to press one button.

You're always a laugh when you pop up in these threads.

>a fucking girl on Sup Forums
Tits or GTFO you dumb cunt

>pretending to be a girl
tits or gtfo

How the fuck do you have "less options" retard? Holding down one button to determine what all the others do (everything shifting to "style" moves when LB is held down) has no bearing on the system other than streamlining it, as it is literally impossible to have this in any way interfere with the depth of anything. You simply hold it down or release it to determine what X button does instead of pressing the fucking D pad into one of 4 directions to determine what 1 button does

>mention boyfriend
>haha faggot!1
>say no
>h-haha tits or gtfo!

go kill yourselves autists

I feel like I've seen this before but I'm not sure where and when

>How the fuck do you have "less options" retard?
>cannot do a quick-drive with that layout because it requires BOTH sword master + attack pressed at the same time.
>Charging E&I or Shotgun while doing gunslinger moves cannot be done due to same reason as above
You never played the fucking game
And I'm pretty sure people more autistic than me can think of more reasons why that layout restricts options.

Where is quick silver and doppleganger mode?

>being a faggot or a girl
you know the drill, post them or gtfo

>everything shifting to "style" moves when LB is held down
Oh, so it's the exact same thing, except you have to hold a button down instead of tapping a different button.

...How is this an improvement exactly?

>Bloodborne
>DMC4 is shit
>DmC is mediocre

You really have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about. The mere fact that DmC has infinite air juggles, less combos and weapon-specific enemies makes it subpar to DMC4.

And Bloodborne a hack and slash? Why Bloodborne, and not Dark Souls? Because you don't have a shield? Most people play DaS without a shield too, so wouldn't that be a hack & slash too, according to your logic?

Post dix or tits

get the HD DMC collection. Honestly if you're looking for DMC style hack and slash, Nier is not what you're looking for. It's a fun game but for very different reasons, and the sword play combat is not at all like DMC where you're constantly making new combos and trying out new moves

>this one guy

>you never played the game because now you cant do virgin exploits in retarded clawgrip number 121434

Neither exist in DMC4 retard, being again one of the reasons why its a dumbed down sequel for bronies

How fucking stupid are you? Youre the only autist whining about my gender, go fuck yourself/ go back to retardit

Are you blind? It also maps weapons better and makes it so that one button isnt completely dedicated to style shit that the DPAD then changes

>The mere fact that DmC has infinite air juggles

so does DMC4 and 3

>and weapon-specific enemies

you mean any semblance of trying to introduce variety and challenge instead of letting the autists just curbstomp everything with anything like allways? This is exactly why the series died and should remain dead.

>And Bloodborne a hack and slash? Why Bloodborne, and not Dark Souls?

because bloodborne is fucking 100x more involved and more focused on melee combat with large movesets and balancing the bosses around 1 dodge/ movement speed instead of dark souls which is more rooted in its RPG aspects

>when you get so BTFO you lose the plot

>Neither exist in DMC4

So? This whole convo is about styles and dmc3 was the orginal argument, why back pedal?

DMC3 doesnt even let you change the styles, are you fucking retarded?

You suggested a different option because you should have all the moves more immediately available like in Ninja Gaiden, but your control scheme requires the same number of inputs while also being forced to hold down extra buttons and reducing your moveset at any given time.

>you cant do virgin exploits in retarded clawgrip number 121434
>Neither exist in DMC4
I like how you are admitting your (boyfriend's) control scheme is a downgrade

>you mean any semblance of trying to introduce variety and challenge instead of letting the autists just curbstomp everything with anything like allways?
>bloodborne is fucking 100x more involved and more focused on melee combat with large movesets and balancing the bosses around 1 dodge/ movement speed instead of dark souls which is more rooted in its RPG aspects
Props to you for reeling in so many people in the case you're not genuinely just very fucking mad.

>introduce variety and challenge instead of letting the autists just curbstomp everything with anything like allways

>the best way to add variety is by purposefully limiting your arsenal, ergo. variety

Oh I'm laffin.

> virgin exploits in retarded clawgrip number 121434
>literally pressing 2 buttons (I always change gun to the bumpers) requires claw griping

>Neither exist in DMC4 retard
>not adding DarkSlayer, and if you were to change it to a weapon with that hypothetical layout, switching 4 melee weapons with one button

I believe that you're a girl now. Only a girl would be this retarded or not know what they're blathering about

PC version.

Are you? C'mon, try to keep up with the conversation.

>say you can't map certain movesets because of layout suggested
>but muhhh it's trash anyways

Kek the damage control is leaking out

The air juggles as "press one button to throw enemy up in the air again" instead of actually needing a form of skill and jump cancels in order to perform an infinite air juggle. I assumed you'd understand that.

And the game is about being creative with your combos, being locked to specific weapons forces you to curbstomp the enemy with one type, which is exactly what you're trying to explain is stupid. You're FORCED to be uncreative and bland with those enemies.

And the entire part about BB is just retarded. It's more focussed on melee combat, while parrying is literally done with a gun and you have several gun types. 1 dodge speed does not make the game more typically a hack and slash, since fucking when is that a requirement? And BB is immensely rooted in RPG aspects, as seen from the fact you get XP and level up abilities in order to deal/take more damage, like in DaS.

I'm only 2 comments in and I'm already done argueing with you. You literally contradict yourself, bring no real arguments apart from "I'm right, you're wrong" and are acting like a petulant child.

How does it feel to be legitimately autistic?

ITT: watch one retard get Smokin' Sick Style BTFO

bump

This was very useful, and I've noted it, thank you.

I decided to give it a shot, again. Installation is way better now, yes. But it still crashes damn game every time I install this mod. What the fuck is wrong, do I need some specific game version?