Remember when they used to make games?

Remember when they used to make games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GGIsj46BnQU
youtube.com/watch?v=a5DdD2dTDBo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I remember them making overrated movie """games""" and absorbing talented companies and people, stealing their games.

I remember when Half Life 2 came out and I thought the game is pretty shit and it looked like some tech demo for anew engine.

Yes, its not like it was that long ago. Rocket League for Linux runs very well.

Its just unfortunate that Microsoft has abused their market position so much, that Valve had to switch their focus towards building a better gaming platform. I know people want Valve to make games again but in the current climate it just doesn't make sense for them to release a big game before Linux has enough users to be viable.

i too remember how much of a movie csgo was
and how little gameplay the left 4 dead series had
you're trying way too hard to be contrarian, faggot

No, I'm not that old.

>No, I'm not that old.
then you're too young to post here and should fuck off

Actually, Valve recruited modders and turned their mods into full fledged games. Which turned out pretty great.

>Valve had to switch their focus towards building a better gaming platform.

No they didn't.

>absorbing talented companies and people

More like modders and students.

Remember when they actually used to give a fuck?

Remember when Valve said they were working on three new full-fledged VR games?

>Valve releases awesome new game on Steam for Windows (because no other platform)
>Microsoft releases a new version of Windows and force everyone to switch to it
>Systems no longer able to run software from any source other than the Windows Store
>Even if easily bypassed, user base for Steam drops dramatically

Microsoft know if they were to do this all at once it would lead to a backlash and they'd lose a good chunk of users. However, this is no mere fever dream of Gabe's. Microsoft recently added the functionality into Windows 10, and they're continuing to force users over to the new version. Its only a matter of time till they flip the switch and make that the default setting. By doing it slowly they avoid a large backlash as every step seems reasonable, and even at the worst they'd lose what? 2-3% of users? Even if every Steam user switched off of Windows Microsoft would lose less than 10% of their user base, and they'd arguably be one of the least profitable segments for them.

Valve, and PC gaming in general needs a PC gaming platform not controlled by a tablet company, or a console company. Microsoft is both, and the conflicts of interest that stem from that will be the doom of PC gaming as we know it.

Well, there's always the steambox.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>>Systems no longer able to run software from any source other than the Windows Store

This would never happen.

They still give a fuck, just not about Windows gaming. They're hiring Linux devs to work on improving the open source stack for gaming like crazy.

Not just no-name kids either, senior driver devs, and guys who literally wrote the modern Linux graphics stack. The kind of devs whose time doesn't come cheap. Valve is working on something that requries them to massively improve the open source AMD drivers and the Linux graphics stack.

Counterstrike was developed by an ex modder and left for dead was originally being developed by another studio, nice try.

This is a blatant violation of anti-compete laws. They'd be sued to oblivion if they tried it.

GFWL's miserable failure already proved it.

nope, i was no old enough for that

Yeah theres always that free OS that you can install on any PC and make it a steambox.

why did you post that picture just to say that?

Microsoft literally just added that functionality to 10.
Its just off by default, for now. Its been clear to everybody who isn't a fanboy that the day it would get added in and switched on was inevitable.

Seriously who would it piss off?
Business users? Microsoft already provides a way for sys admins to customize the Store for their users.
Developers? It would be a nearly foolproof way to prevent piracy, they'll be lining up.
Normal users? They'll probably shrug their shoulders get their software again and go on with their lives a little bit more protected against malware (from companies other than Microsoft)

The only people it hurts are operators of third party software stores which are Microsoft's direct competitors, and pirates. Neither group were ever going to be a source of revenue for Microsoft so why would they care what those users think?

Tech demos aren't games.

except almost all existing games are not ms store compatible, if they block win32 majority of win10 users will switch back to 7

>This is a blatant violation of anti-compete laws.

Microsoft can go before the court and say "We're the third place vendor in a crowded market! Both of our competitors do this to improve their users security! Holding us to a different standard puts us at a disadvantage!"

Plus its a Republican administration in the US. Anti-trust laws don't exist, at least as far as US based companies are concerned. Any lawsuit would take years to sort out, and would almost certainly just result in a slap on the wrist. By that point the damage would be done and Microsoft would occupy a dominant position that would take a decade or more to fix.

Epic!

>except almost all existing games are not ms store compatible
How long do you think that would really last if Microsoft forced the issue?

> if they block win32 majority of win10 users will switch back to 7
The vast majority of users simply wouldn't care. Going back to 7 isn't a viable option long term so those users would ultimately be stuck anyway, and the users who would switch to Linux would have been likely lost anyway.

If anything pissing off pirates by blocking them out of Windows might be a good move by Microsoft now to prevent growth of Linux for gaming. The only thing right now that allows it to hit so far above its weight when it comes to number of users is how many Linux users buy games. If the market was suddenly flooded with former Windows pirates it might kill the support it currently enjoys.

valve's whole team was ex modders and others brought into the fold, but nice try

Steambox has no game, son.

Nice goal post moving.

what, you aren't excited for VR shovelware 2.0?

dude, literally every single title on steam will not be compatible, people dont care now but they will start doing so after being locked from their software, they will just ask some friends/family to fix this, and every single savy person will just reinstall 7 for them

24% of the entire Steam library, including the majority of the most played games on Steam.

Those new games that Valve is working on will be the killer features for the second gen hardware.

very relevant link
youtu.be/GGIsj46BnQU

>Those new games that Valve is working on
Nigga, you high as fuck.

no, I was born in 2013

gaben said himself it's no longer about the community but money.

>valve only makes movie games!
>lol no they don't
>b-b-but those games were made by modders and stuff!
>that's literally what valve's team is
>y-you're moving the goalposts!
pathetic

>Plus its a Republican administration in the US. Anti-trust laws don't exist
Say that to my face, motherfucker. Not online.

Yeah I remember when they made medicore FPS games.

Hi, Gabe. When is episode 3 coming out?

devs wont make patches for their 10yo games just because these wont work on newest version of windows

remember that time your childhood crush became a druggie and fucked the entire football team

You realize that tons of big companies have donated to Hillary, right?

and that crony capitalism, monopolies =/= the free market, right?

it's almost as you're conveniently ignoring how Wall Street and all those huge corporations owned by globalists that enjoy dominating markets with the help of the government have helped Hillary Clinton

>valve is working on 3 new games
>they are bundled in the next [color] box
>steamOS and HTC/LG Vive exclusive

Thanks Gaben.

>implying gabe posts on Sup Forums

Valve is developing VR right now. Gabe said there's three in the pipeline.

>"VR is shit." - Sup Forums

Robo Recall is fun as hell, sorry you're too poor to enjoy it.

I remember when valve sold games
My memory isn't that great desu

Didnt you know? If Gayben himself didn't do the art, music and programming it doesn't count as a Valve game.

>new games that Valve is working on

There's somewhere between 150 and 200 million users on Steam. That's barely 10% of Windows systems.
What percentage of those users would care about losing those games? How many of those users actually represent any loss of cash flow to Microsoft?
How many would just accept the new restriction and re-buy the games from the new source just like the people who routinely do that when a new console comes out?
The longer Microsoft waits to spring the trap the less likely that Windows 7 will work on their hardware.

Plus its unlikely to be an all at once thing. It will just be the 'free' version of Windows 10 at first. Then they'll add it to the mobile versions. Then it will go into the home version. Finally they'll put it into the pro and enterprise versions and there will be very little anyone will be able to do about it.

>Game devs are not allowed to hire new people to help them make games

Tubby doesn't do anything for valve aside from eating and watching MLP. Occasionally he posts on reddit about how "half life could totally still be happening guise" and "paid mods are great". Reddit sucks him off anyways.

Pre-'Southern Strategy' Bull Moose Republican != modern Republican party

>tfw don't really even care about Half Life and just play Dota

When?

games are not everything, theres no professional software for work like photoshop or video eding software available for ms store, even linux has more programs available than ms store, the day ms blocks win32 is the day of their death

Microsoft is one of the democrats' biggest donators you fucking idiot.

youtube.com/watch?v=a5DdD2dTDBo

rip miranda

They gave $1 million to the RNC and various Republican superpacs

Valve made Linux gaming better than before, but it's still pretty shitty compared to Windows. The problem is X is a flaming pile of shit, and Wayland is taking forever to get off the ground. Honestly I think improving Mac gaming would be easier at this point.

I still think to this day hl2 was nothing but a big extended tech demo for Source

>theres no professional software for work like photoshop or video eding software available for ms store

For the same reasons that Valve has their own store, there's currently no issue running it, and you get to handle the processing which lets you take a bit more of the money than having to put up with somebody else taking a 30% cut.
When Microsoft cuts them off, Adobe is going to have a hard decision to make of either putting their stuff in the Windows Store, launching their own AdobeOS, or releasing for RedHat as so many other professional software makers have already done.
Again though the market that actually cares about those kinds of professional applications is vanishingly small and is not a major source of revenue for Microsoft. They will gladly lose a few million from that market if it makes them billions from others.

>the day ms blocks win32 is the day of their death
There were people saying this when they killed off DOS. Professional applications that needed it switched to FreeDOS, games just started bundling DOSbox. After Microsoft does it there will almost certainly be a flood of UWP format Wine wrapped classic Windows games in the store.

i guess.
do you even remember when they didn't? probably not... new fag retard.

What does Hillary have to do with this? Back to pol

I was born in 1976, newfag

>Honestly I think improving Mac gaming would be easier at this point.

Nope, because Apple isn't going to allow it. Valve tried that remember? Apple went to OpenGL 3.3, then took ages to get 4.1, and they still lack support for either OpenGL 4.5 or Vulkan. Now Apple's only interest as far as gaming is concerned is iOS. MacOS is basically an afterthought at this point.

That's why a number of recent AAA game ports from previously Mac-centric developers like Aspyr and Feral Interactive have only been released for Linux.

>The problem is X is a flaming pile of shit, and Wayland is taking forever to get off the ground.

No, Linux can achieve Windows-level performance with good native games even with the massive drag factor that is X11. The issue is shifting games from the D3D workflow to the OpenGL workflow is complicated and difficult to get it to produce good results. Now that Vulkan is available the quality of ported games will improve, especially if they're Vulkan-native.

The other obvious stumbling block are the drivers, and guess what Valve has been hiring developers to work on?

What games..?

abobe wont do shit, most of their customers are companies and these havent switched to 10, some of them are even running xp, valve also wont magically port all their games to ms store, their ms store steam client will just say in big words to just reinstall 7 because 10 is shit and your games wont run on it, and majority of gamers will do so, win32 is literally 99.9999999999999% of windows software, without it ms is nothing

Shouldn't have bought those TF2 hats.
Shouldn't have bought those Counterstrike skins.
Shouldn't have bought all those games that you didn't really want but got anyways because they were cheap.

>Valve also wont magically port all their games to ms store
Right, because their contingency plan was to port everything to Linux.

>majority of gamers will do so
Remember that installing 7 is a dead-end since it already doesn't support current hardware and will no longer receive security updates in less than three years.
I'm sure there will be some players who will cling to the old stuff (there are still people running Amigas for games), but how relevant do you think they'll be to the rest of the market?

Microsoft really has no choice now but to lock Windows down. Hardware is too cheap to absorb the cost of expensive Windows licenses, and making users pay for Windows or Office is an outdated business model. Apple and Google both make their money now off of running the Store on their platforms.
Forcing the Windows Store will be a risk for them, but its not going to kill them or cost them the majority of users.

Most simply won't care just like every other time Microsoft has done something that people were convinced would drive away all their users and kill them off.

Modern Valve is karma for what happened to TF2 and I love it.