Did anyone else have this store in their town?

With the recent news of Game Stop closing down over 100 stores I was reminded of my favorite game store I'd use to go to as a kid. Did anyone else like Game Crazy over Game Stop, or even have this store in their home town?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=441yNVdmVU4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When I moved to Arizona is when I first saw them. They died with Hollywood Video as they were the same company.

I fucking loved Crazy. I'll always be pissed they were closing so I had to cancel my copy of Lost Planet 2 which came with a salamander plush. I then had to get it at GS and got a stupid dlc map. Crazy to think it been like 7 or so years. I miss the place and Hollywood video, renting was good childhood memories. GameCrazy had cool people, and all their new games wrre actually fucking new sealed, unlike GS. They also did tournaments and stuff. Good times.

>mfw my grandma subscribed me to Nintendo Power through them
>mfw all 3 of those things are dead

I used to come here to look at a bunch of N64 and GameBoy Advance games and see what I can get for a good price.
I used to nab a bunch of 3 to 4 dollar used Xbox HUGE games.

I loved the look of the store too so it was a cool spot to visit.
I'm so sad and I hate the digital era we live in now.

>that feel when you rented the same copy of Super Mario 64 from Hollywood Video every Friday night and got to continue from your last save

GC also generally continued selling older generation games when GS dropped them. It was a nice little time where you could find older games before the prices on a lot of them skyrocketed. It's kinda weird to see whole markets like Hollywood and Blockbuster drop off the face of the earth, but I guess they couldn't compete with streaming services.

Bought a shit ton of SNES games and my Dreamcast here. It was great having a brick and mortar chain that actually sold retro games in ~2007.

I like to think that if stores like this had stuck around, the retro game exchange would have remained stable instead of everything going to Internet auctions which are inherently a seller's market where prices get jacked up to a ludicrous extreme.

Also, the one in my town didn't go out of business with Hollywood Video, it fucking caught on fire and burned to the ground. It was a very Nibelheim like experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=441yNVdmVU4
memes aside, I loved Gamcrazy. They'd let me lounge around helping them and they'd let me play unreleased stuff. Probably helped that I always bought new systems from them instead of the Gamestop a block away.

Lol

:(

Lived in a town with 4 or 5 Game Crazy's, with another dozen within a 10 mile radius easy. I loved those stores.

What I hated was working at the corporate HQ in Wilsonville. They managers on up were all motherfucking RETARDS. Fin Fact: Game Crazy was created not to make money, but to help sell their rental stock while using the buy/sell/trade model to prop-up Hollywood Video, which was crashing around their ears. ALL profits from GC went to keeping HV in the financial black.

The company president was a mormon tax dodger who spent over a decade to build a McMansion as a massive tax write-off (which was never completed), everyone in leadership roles in the company weren't selected based on their ability or education but by his friendships in the local mormon temple (I do mean that literally), the entire driving goal of the company (thereby GC's entire reason for existence as a financial prop) was to impress the movie studios enough to let them fuck star actresses (also dead serious)...the entire business was a motherfucking cesspool of shit.

The stores were cool and the employees were usually pretty awesome too, but anyone with even a single speck of power at the HQ was a fucking douche.

How do you know this?

Explain who you are, stranger.

A LOT of that came out in the local papers after Hollywood Entertainment (the parent company to HV & GC) went public, but also
>What I hated was working at the corporate HQ in Wilsonville

Management wasn't exactly discrete.

I got a bunch of stuff from there for cheap. Hell I got F-Zero GX for around $4.

>went public
Meant went bankrupt. Me thinks it's bedtime.

Yep. Had them in Mesa Arizona. The guy that worked at mine would wear an apron that said "gaming guru. Also got my halo 2 at midnight there.

Game Crazy was better than Gamestop in every conceivable way
>preordering a game got you free game/movie rentals
>buying their discount card let you choose from a variety of different magazines
>sold games from every generation
>had constant b2g1 sales
>you could try any game in the store before buying it
>employees looked like they actually enjoyed working there
>prices were generally lower than gamestop
>employees would warn customers about dogshit games
>didn't open games and then try to sell them as new

I didn't know this outlet at all.

There was one down the block from my house so I went there, but usually I just go to gamestop. I met a lot of the guys who work at that Game Crazy though, they're generally more livelier characters than the one you meet at GameStop.

On launch night for smash bros brawl, they held a melee tournament here in vegas in one of their stores. I got my sister to go with me and to register to fight, so I had someone helping me to try to win. It was free for all, no rules. I was doing okay, but I was pretty beat up near the end. When I tried to get back on the platform, I guess my sister forgot which character I was and accidentally knocked me out.