Wait, the Switch isn't backwards compatible?

Wait, the Switch isn't backwards compatible?

How else are they going to sell ports?

It's not okey when nintendo does it!

You just have to break your WiiU games into little pieces and cram them into the cartridge slot.

No you fucking idiot, its a Tegra X1 SoC, not the 8th Nintendo Iteration of PowerPC GameCube Deluxe.

It'll be more compatible with DS/3DS games than anything, as those are ARM too. Might see handheld games get ported, maybe.

>a reboot that's the exact same as the old game
WAAAH ITS THE SAME
>a reboot that's not the exact same as the old game
WAAAH ITS DIFFERENT

I welcome the fact that it's the same. The fact that it was good means that they can't really fuck it up.

Of course not, that would mean Nintendo would for once give a good option to the players, and that will never ever happen with Modern Nintendo, this is fucking bullshit

Did anyone think it would be?
It has no disk drive for WiiU games nor a second screen for 3DS games

it's a completely different architecture with a soc using a completely different instruction set, if you thought it would be backwards compatible you're literally retarded

which i guess makes sense if you were considering buying this piece of shit console

It takes carts, dude.

Its a shame BC seems to always be set as a technical tradeoff for consoles. I empathize with the consumer the most because I myself wanna be able to play my older console games on the newer version, but also see where the big companies are coming from by not wanting to nerf their next console by allowing BC, and wanting to push the bar each time, even if they realized they only have to inch said bar from now on instead of fire it up into the sky if they can like they used to.

I can't believe there's grown up supposedly nerds who unironically don't understand it's impossible to have a mini console of the size of a tablet to be backwards compatible.
And if by some miracle it was, then the price would be 400$.

Not even digitally backwards compatible, though?

They fucked it up tho
>30 FPS
>input delay up the ass
>shit netcode

At least the OST is pretty good

do phantom bombs have any practical use? he is the only one I don't have yet

>tfw Touhou Bomberman is best Bomberman and no one to play with.

New architecture with none of the old hardware included. They could release official emulators, or port games but in either of those situations you'd be re-buying them.

It allows you to drop fake bombs to fuck with the other players

Digital compatibility isn't made of clouds and magic user.

On the same note, here's a fun fact. Intel processors are constantly indered in power by the fact Intel's main selling point is backwards compatibility, their structure really suffers from this and engineers need to jump through firehoops to be able to make a new processor that also runs old shit because they can't touch many better designs that as a tradeoff aren't backwards compatible.

Not entirely true, modern AMD64 derived processors have basically no legacy hardware in them. The compatibility happens at a firmware level with translation of any old CISC stuff into the RISCy internal instruction set.

It still requires extra power and heat which is part of why they can't ever really compete against native RISC style hardware like ARM in the low watt market.

Xbox One didn't have old hardware included. None of its hardware is backwards compatible by nature, yet if you own the X360 games you don't have to pay for the backwards compatible versions that are emulated to Xbox One.

Why doesn't Nintendo have a solution for backwards compatibility? Would that, perhaps, get in the way of their attempt to sell MK8, Splatoon and other games again to Nintendo console owners?

>technical tradeoff

Is this really true though? The PS2 was backwards compatible (afaik) and the console wasn't gimped because of it. Sure was weaker than the Xbox and GameCube, but they came out a year afterwards. The Genesis was in some ways superior to the SNES, and could run the Sega Master System with a $35 USD (new) peripheral.

They're not emulated, they recompiled the game's source code for the new system.
When you put the disc in it downloads just the executable from Microsoft's server that allows the game to play.
Also remember that functionality wasn't there at launch and it isn't there for every game.

Nintendo can't do something similar because the Switch uses a new card media, making it impossible to get either WiiU or DS/3DS games into the system.

HAS ANYONE HERE EVEN PLAYED THE STORY MODE?!

I'm really starting to think that NO ONE HERE played this piece of shit, because it's got so many problems. Boss hitboxes are vague as fuck (and they take forever), the respawn enemies just keep going, and good fucking luck unlocking ANYTHING with that currency system.

This is before all of the hard technical issues like the lack of customization in multi, the online play being shit, input lag, etc.

PS2 was backwards compatible because it had a PS1 stuffed inside of it, same goes for the PS3. Remove that PS1 chip and there would be money for better hardware.

>what is digital download

Sure, they wouldn't do it with physical copies of the Wii U transferring over, but why couldn't they do the same thing with digital Wii U games being re-worked for the Switch, like X360 digital games?

Okay, but why would anyone pay money for this, or is it free? You can play that stuff on newgrounds or the ouya when you feel like it

The fun part of a thread like this is that anyone who talks shit about this exposes themself for not knowing shit about computers. On the other hand, it looks as though Nintendo genuinely did another stupid thing. It's the perfect bait for making people look foolish.

>ouya

Only nintenbros buy this shit

Is this even a reboot? I thought it was a port of the old ps2 one?

It's a meme console, but really sad when it does something better than nintendo in that regard

Server and bandwidth costs for hosting executable files are going to be small. We're talking a few k to a few MB.
Game digital downloads on the other hand are going to be more expensive because for 3DS games we're talking about roughly 1 to 2GB, and for WiiU games we're talking more like 8-25GB

>The fact that it was good
It's okay at best.
But either way it's not worth $50 for the amount of content in it.

We have digital downloads on Wii U and 3DS, though.

>They're not emulated, they recompiled the game's source code for the new system
untrue
they are emulated

It's about gains user. Nintendo is a business and bandwidth is expensive.

what?

Will the virtual console have Wii games? I don't see why the right joy con can't act as a Wii remote.

>see that the joycons work on PC through bluetooth
>wonder if dolphin devs will allow them to work as wii motion plus controllers
>see that somebody already logged it as a feature request in dolphin github
>autism mod says "the wiimote already works on PC, no need to support this. will not implement"
>requests denied

gyro can't fully replace wii-style pointing

They'd have to release a Switch Bar for pointing

are you retarded? I think you're retarded

Isn't dolphin open source?

we don't play games here

Not him, but people are already complaining about the pointer controls of the Switch for games like World of Goo and how there's no way to conveniently re-calibrate them when they go off a bit. A censor bar peripheral (or an update to the Joy Con) feels like it might be necessary.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that based on these Splatoon haters, too.