The Ringed City

I've just finished it, what's the general consensus?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2hZukWvp80E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I personally enjoyed it. Great bosses and mostly great areas. I didn't really care for the swamp area. Felt a bit lazy to me.

One thing I didn't like was how the last 3 bosses were kinda grouped together. Felt a bit rushed at the end because of this.

Midir, Gael and demon prince are all great bosses. Don't care about pvp too much in these games so halflight felt like a throwaway boss to me.

I'd give it a weak 8/10. TOH would get a 9 from me to put that into perspective...

Just got to the Gael and Midir. Midir reminds me of Ancient Dragon boss fight from DS2, but a lot faster. Main question is who the fuck's Gael and why they made him final boss of the whole series?

As someone who has played the series for 6 years and over 3000 hours - its lackluster and underwhelming as fuck as an ending to the series. Its quite frankly fanfiction tier writing and my eyes rolled through my fucking skull looking at the cutscenes for Gael
>da blood of da dark suul
Its really just miyazaki slapping in cool sounding shit because it sounds cool.

Gameplay wise its one of the best From has made for the bosses alone. The level design is fine and enemies are mostly good. The encounter design is somewhat annoying though.

Its the best Souls DLC, but its not TOH tier

Didnt like the areas, particularly the "hide/stealth" parts. Bosses are okayish though I hate that they have so much health.

The saddest part for me: I really don't want to replay it and if I do, in the distant future, I would play the basrle game and forget about do both DLCs.

good lord those textures.

Incredible, best souls DLC that more than makes up for Ashes of Ariandel

There is no consensus.
That said, I love it. Easily my favorite expansion content across all three souls ganes, and although I have many problems with the story and what they chose to focus on and how they did it, as well as the choice of Gael as the final boss for the final piece of souls content ever [allegedly], I have no reason to complain about it mechanically at all.

In my opinion the DLC is great, it's just not a good DLC to end the whole franchise on. I'd say if it were possible it'd need a new DLC taking place in Londor or something.

yes, I am a bit frustrated over that too, especially since they made Londor sound like this pretty cool Hollow country. I just wanted to make Londor great again

I just want to kill the last Sable Sister, that snake-worshipping Harlot

I'm mostly annoyed that they introduced the idea of the sable sisters, put one of them in the first dlc and then ignored the other one entirely

it's Sup Forumserygud.

You need to play Ashes of Ariandel to understand who Gael is and his significance. Sucks but on the other hand it's cool that the DLC share a story so to speak.

This

that Thicc Souls 3 was a good video

how do i beat gael? and why is there no one to summon?

I like it (apart from Midir's healthbar) and it's way better than Ashes of Ariandel was.

However it's disappointing as an ending to the series.

wish the ending to the series was more clear, you still never fucking cured the curse.

>To skirt the curse's grasp
>Tarry not for long
Is what the handmaid says in dark firelink
I think the end of fire cures the curse, except it really doesn't matter because at that point pretty much everyone has hollowed anyway

Pissed you couldn't fuck the giantess before she died.

Hell, not even a yawn from waking up.

And how come you couldn't get her soul after she died?

We saw the third one (Liliane I think?) in the Usurpation ending. She's wearing the same armour as Yuria and is up front of the Hollow congregation with her too. Still, they clearly teased Londor for this DLC and wanted lorefags to think it was Londor with all the setup. What we got was cool and I enjoyed the ruse they pulled, but all that Londor shit going nowhere is really disappointing.

Because you went into her dream like in ds2

The best soulsborne DLC after TOH

I wish there was an ending though

>cure the curse

U wot m8, the curse is not being hollow. THe series has clearly explained that hollowing is man returning to his true shape.

They couldn't have done it better in this game save for including a nice cinematic after Gael or something with actual end credits.

Spear of the Church is a bullshit "boss". I don't know how a human player could lose, the advantages are so strong in their favor.

You're just terrible at the game, he can't even heal. The other npcs run up to you and attack so often that it's a free parry. Plus every so often you get a free backstab.

The final boss is the Lord of Cinder, not Gael.

Gael is some guy who wants to bring dark souls blood to his painter waifu to live in a comfy painted world after everything outside turns into ashes and darkness.

>Being without Humanity is the natural state of human beings

Well isn't it Gael initially? Then half way through he turns into the Lord of cinder, but he also has a almost complete dark souls, so some of his attacks are remnant of the abyss. Is Gael the Lord of cinder and dark at the same time?

Are you confused?

Did you not get a human phantom as your boss?

Humanity was born of dark.

Not as good as ToH or AotA, but still great

Then, from the dark, they came

Sorry I meant the Soul of Cinder. This is the final boss and with him concludes the main story of the series.

The DLCs are a small side story that accidentally presents relevant backstory about the world of Dark Souls, but Gael itself is not an important character. He might become very powerful, but then the world doesn't exist anymore.

He just want to live in a painted world with his waifu and not think about how depressing the end of the world is.

Now before the first DLC, I don't know who Gael was. I assume he was some guy from New Londo / Londor, because he dresses simillar to those priests that kept the four kings sealed in DS1, but who knows.

>AotA
I can't imagine any single aspect in which TRC isn't 1000x better than AotA.

AotA had more content and more relevance to the story while the bosses were just as good

This honestly would've been the best dlc if it had proper buildup.

Gameplay wise it was already great, although I'm not that much of a fan of the "hide from projectiles" sections. Imagine if they actually built up gael from the main story instead of slapping him on the first dlc and then wow he's a boss.

Also, give us some closure at least. Show a cutscene? Show the fucking credits? What the hell?

>AotA had more content
No.

>more relevance to the story
Hardly relevant in terms of gameplay, but still false. TRC completes the sidestory of the previous DLC and reveals tons of information about the lore of the series.

>while the bosses were just as good
Agree.

You forget level design, weapons and other items. It's safe to say than TRC > AotA, although it's not on par with DS2 DLC's.

are you confusing artorias of the abyss with ashes of ariandel?

I agree with the Gael part. If they made him a Solaire like figure that appears throughout the game and helps you kill bosses, the fight would've felt better.

Some people like it, some don't

Personally I haven't tried it and I don't plan to either, I fucking hated 3 and the first DLC

>Imagine if they actually built up gael from the main story instead of slapping him on the first dlc and then wow he's a boss.
Why would they do that? The whole point of the DLC is present a sidestory outside the main story of the game, that it's concluded already after you defeat the main boss.

>Show the fucking credits?
What? Have you ever played any souls game before? The DLC's aren't suposed to be the end of the game.

Sorry I thought you meant Artorias of the Abyss.

You can summon him to fight the demon prince, i believe. Also you see his messages telling you you can jump and fall to your death.

It's not the best way they could've presented it, but it worked for me at least.

>dark soul
>Pygmy
>not relavent to the story

Also what is this content meme? There's so much shit in TRC. Definitely more than AotA.

Then he wouldn't have had an arc/quest in the main game and would have been called dlc bait character.

I liked the PvP boss.
I wonder if it was a last min addition to TRC after all the fun people had invading into boss fights with that bug.

>Sorry I thought you meant Artorias of the Abyss.

I did, I'm not sure how you think TRC has more content

"Give it to me... Your Dark Soul(™)"
What did he mean by this?
>tfw the "We have BECOME the Dark soul" meme applies

considering you get auto homing missles it's probably a demon's souls reference

I beat 3 players solo, it's fucking easy as a fuck when you can heal at will and he can't without his cuck NPC.

>You can't fucking access that fucking tower that's everywhere

>No explanation for the sword of avowal symbol

>No explanation for the primordial serpents having the body of a dog and an angel

>No conensus on whether the pygmies where cucked by Gwynn or are still allegiant to him

>Maps are small as fuck, you can't acess 60% of the Ringed City

>No explanations for Gertrude, Angelic Faith, Pilgrim butterflies, winged knights and DLC angels that shoot lasers

Well let's compare just the introductory area of both dlc.

>AotA
A forest... Woah

>TRC
A whole different area

As for the main parts of the DLC, if you think Oolacile Township competes in extension, level design and content with the Ringed City, you're deluded.

How come we can't go in that building?

Obviously they got cucked by Gwyn. Their entire city was blocked from the rest of the world. Also the Pygmy clearly hates the gods.

Because its just decorative. The building itself doesn't cointain anything.

Had too much stealth and running through parts.

And then why Hollows are insane? shouldn't they be fine in their natural state?
Sure human souls are fragments of the Dark Soul, but that's Humanity, Hollows are basically souless and the whole plan of Frampt and Kaathe is apparantly to create a new Pygmy with all the Humanity and a age of dark would result in a few superhumans siphoning the humanity of everyone and hollowing them.

Yes but the church of Filianore is still very real, the ringed knights are allegiant to her (but still cucked by the darksign) and the pygmy on the ashen waste is seeking Filianore for aid.

You'd think they hate Filianore and everything Gwynn related but they seem to like him and to be on his side still.

Plus all the silver knight statues.

No it didn't. If you're a stupid retarded that didn't kill the angel on sight because you're too braindedad to explore, it's not the game's fault.

Some of tips for the DLC:

youtube.com/watch?v=2hZukWvp80E

Yeah the dark lord ending is the pro-hollow ending, neither the flame ending nor the age of dark ending.

Kaathe and Londor are the "pro human" faction, not the pro-gwynn faction nor the pro-pygmy faction.

A fine Dark Souls 3: The Fire Fades™ Edition to you.

Fun bosses but does nothing for the lore.

I think they only looked up to her because she gave them protection from Santa. Gwyn cucked them by keeping them away from the rest of the world, but gave them protection and a cool city. They probably were okay with it at first, but grew to hate Gwyn over time.

But why'd they show it in all the marketing and as the main promo image when it's just a decoration?

Remember when everyone thought it was going to be about Londor?

Remember a time when everyone thought the first DLC was about Courland and the midget?

Instead we got a shitty rehash of a painted world nobody asked about and some sidestory that still explained nothing about DaS 1

Hollows go insane because of the Dark Sign.
If Gwyn didn't seal their humanity away they wouldn't go mad.

Becoming hollow is more a result of losing ones purpose in life, which is connected to the age of fire and age of men. In an age of fire humans find purpose and can truly die, whereas in the age of dark humans ''thrive'' meaning they never die and are left to wander eternally. Which is essentially zombification.

So hollowing and life without end is the default and ''true'' state of man, yet Gwyn was literally shaking at this because it doesn't align with a pursuit of power.

>what's the consensus
I know this is Sup Forums so this might be out of the question, but how about you develop your own opinion on it? You did just play it yourself after all.

I'm not sure to understand, isn't siding with Kaathe = the hollow / dark lord ending?
In what is it really pro-human? and what would it means to be pro-pygmy?

It's good, but lost some potential because we can't even fucking go to that cool bitch ass castle that far right in that screen, that was on the original DS3 cover
Also this shit right here

Bosses are alright.
Demon Prince ended up having too much HP and Midir also had buckets of HP to make up for the kind of lacking moveset/arena he has. Spear of the Church is an Old Monk reference.
Areas are too reliant on setpieces.
He still can't heal aside from 2 total painting guardians he gets as his helpers.
And Shadow of the Collossus spawns in after the first painting guardian so it's entirely possible to just kill it.
You're fighting a player with slightly boosted defense who sometimes gets 250ish damage soulmasses and who has two weak AI helpers that are the only way he can get a 1/2-3/4 Estus flask worth of health when they decide to heal.
Unless you summon in 2+ phantoms and let Symphony of the night pick off your phantoms one by one and also leave the PGs alive and are then left with a player with ridiculous defense in which case you're just bad.
You can't kill their husks until the end of their respective sections though so you still have to do the hiding bullshit or just run past and hope he only uses short volleys.
If you arrow them to death they just respawn instantly and I fucking checked.

Its a meme you idiot

Pro-pygmy is pro-dark soul and pro-age of darkness like Oolacile, Manus etc... which is what Gwynn sealed away.

Pro-hollow / londor is hollows taking control of the situation and getting out of the cycle.

Bandai marketers not having a clue and only putting what looks cool to sell. Just like they put Faraam armor in the cover of DK2 even thought it's obvious it wasn't the main armour of the game.

That castle far right is Anor Londo.

Getting this vibe.
People who have been playing the games since Demon's or Dark Souls seem to really dislike this DLC, so it depends what sucked you into the series.

If you're just in it for some more of the Souls gameplay and don't care about the wallpaper, then you might like it.

I'd go as far to say that even the gameplay suffers cause the game is just trying too hard to be difficult at this point, which goes against what Miyazaki said in that interview many years ago. I believe Demon's, Dark and even Bloodborne are not about difficulty, but I struggle to believe the same about the Dark Souls sequels, especially 3.

So yeah, are you into a game that's about more than its combat? Do you dig the exploration, have you grown to respect a series that panders to it's audience as little as possible, do you like to explore its finely crafted environments, maybe even discovering a really neat consistent theme that ties everything together?

Or do you just wanna push your skills at playing this game to the limit again without caring much for context, or how it effects the legacy of the franchise as a whole?

Peoples answers will likely come down to that.

I thought it was quite good. The bosses are great and the weapons and armor are awesome but the areas are EXTREMELY lackluster. The one part where you are actually exploring the city is great, but it's only like a fourth of the DLC, the rest is boring, flat, open swamps. The pacing is atrocious too.
>starts with a shitty annoying cover from bullets segment
>goes right from that to another one

I'm playing since DS1, and I don't agree with you at all. DS3 was objectively the best of the 3 and TRC is absolutely great in every aspect. Nothing felt like "artificial dificulty" and its certainly a better DLC than AotA.

I think you're just tired of this series.

honestly for me its the best Souls dlc ever. Alone the transitory lands are probably the best place in any vidya.

Doesn't conclude shit.
Just says that once again there's gonna be another cycle.
It's almost like the two endings for the first game were perfect in their simplicity and should never have been sequelized. Either embrace death or do everything you can to fight it off, but it's an inevitability. Sequels focus on story more than theme and ultimately it's fucking tainted the DaS legacy.... ah well, we still have DeS and BB

>People invading in the swamp area with 2 angels
>they camp on bridges,roots etc
Wow this is really low. I personally didn't get invaded because I don't summon, but I placed my signs there a few times to help people out and sure enough every time there was a fag looking for a cheap kill on the angel root.

Anyway how is the new covenant? I finished the DLC killing Midir last and wasn't in the mood to play more.

It's a small, empty , shitty area.

You dont even get to revisit the Kiln of the First Flame.

>the gameplay suffers cause the game tries too hard to be difficult
fucking this. Gael isn't a fun fight because it's just "dodge his attacks and get in one light attack every so often" and it's boring. Heavy attacks and combos are basically useless in Dark Souls 3, which is odd because they were great in Bloodborne.

PRINCESS FILIANORE IS CUTE!

CUTE!

The tower is the ruin where you fight Gael. Look where the tower is compared to the cathedral. The tower hosts the Pigmy Lords

There's only 2 angels that you can kill in 30 seconds after you see them. Fags.

Autism: the post.

DS3 closes everything pretty tight. Wait for a Vaatee or whatever youtuber you follow if you can't figure out by yourself.

even DeS is about cycles if you think about it the old one was already awoken 2 times.

i never understood what the fuck is that 2nd structure in the background
there is the lothric castle, but what is the other thing on the upper right corner?
it looks like anor londo but anor londo is actually very close to the castle
please enlighten me, anons

>I think you're just tired of this series.
Sick of this limp dick excuse.
I played Bloodborne AFTER Dark Souls 3's base game and I absolutely loved it, right up there with DeS and DaS. Not even played TOH and I'm also really excited to play that , as I'm sure it won't be the pandering mess DaS3 has turned out to be.

time to dupe some seeds of giant tree

> should never have been sequelized
This.

>Heavy attacks
bullshit you can stagger Gael with ugs heavy attacks on every hit and even stop his attacks.

roll? I found him pretty easy (ng+). Literally just roll away from his attacks. In the second phase he can be staggered with 2-3 hits (claymore) which you can exploit. When he does the lightning strike and floating deep souls just keep rolling away and defending until he cuts that shit.

best DLC in the series

the guy i got was fucking terrible and almost died in 2 hits, stood at like 1% health running away and rolling around for like 5 minutes before dying trying to get a heal from that NPC

does it not buff their health?

>Anyway how is the new covenant?
Pretty neat. Most players I got summoned against died to the NPC without me having to do anything.
And all the buffs and spammable items they give you, it's very hard to actually die against a solo guy.