The revival of AA

dualshockers.com/2017/04/05/persona-5-passes-1-5-million-copies-shipped-worldwide/

gematsu.com/2017/04/nier-automata-shipments-digital-sales-top-one-million

gematsu.com/2017/02/nioh-worldwide-sales-top-one-million

Japan did it the mad men. They brought back the golden age of AA games.

Honestly? That's fucking great. I miss AA games,

Amano Ameno?

brought back what?
they always make better games than the west
stop bandwaggoning you retarded normalfag

Yes it's him.

500k of those are from Japan which has been out for a while. Still it's pretty impressive that a game like Persona 5 got like one million in only two days.

>they always make better games than the west
Seventh gen was very rough for Japanese games. They were almost going to ditch consoles altogether if PS4 hadn't overperformed massively. All the games in OP have massively outsold their predecessors.

Nier, Nioh and Persona are AAA, tho

This, i don't want to shit on the west, but between AAA garbage, online twitchbait trash, kickstarter failures and steam indie shit it's pretty hard to find something decent there.

And now US devs are starting to dump politics and sjw crap into their games, fucking great.

i dont think atlus is ever AAA

Not at all. Their budgets are very restricted. Hell it's actually pretty rare to see Japs do AAA games these days. FFXV was the last one released.

Based Japan saving video games.

So an AAA game is one with a huge budget for no reason and 4 hours long, while an AA game is one with a moderate budget and actually good/full of content?

It's been like this since 2005

I hope so. Indie games aren't really impressing and AAA games have stayed bland.

RE7 was also AAA

>Wait for years for a new Persona game
>It finally comes out
>It's actually better

This doesn't happend often with western games you know.

the fuck is aa?

RE7 was short as fuck.
And fuck them with quickly and lazily throwing together ending 2.

The idea of AAA is to just pull off all stops to maximize the profit. So the games are filled with flashy non-substantial shit, it's filled with all the tropes that are shown to increase sales, it has gameplay/narrative sequences that pander to lowest common denominator so they won't feel left out and most of the budget is spent on marketing.

Who knows. Capcom is so short on resources these days that they're just masking their AA games with AAA franchises to cover it up.

games that have significantly higher production values and quality than indie games and kusoge

but a lower budget than multimillion blockbusters like the latest EA and Ubisoft offering which spend most of it on marketing

how the fuck does that zipper work

Mid-tier development size that aren't as bloated as AAA games needing 6+ million copies to break even but still budgeted enough to look and play great.

Basically, the ideal games. Anything bigger and dev vision is compromised due to publisher interference and lower dev vision is compromised by having no resources to realize goals.

Yeah, it's fashion bullshit magic - like most women's wear. Sometimes I can't tell if things are barely hanging together or if they are an engineering marvel.

I'm leaning on the former. The sheer fact that a guy can wear a shirt for their entire life and women have to constantly change tells me that their shit is just never solidly built. The pettiness of buying tonnes of clothes and shoes is just a behavioral result of not having well-built clothing. My suits and nice shoes will never fall apart on me or fray in any catastrophic manner so long as I take care of them. Some women's shoes, underwear, and dresses I look at and I'm pretty sure they're one rough handling away from snapping completely apart because of how shit the stitching has to be to look good.

>The revival of AA
If you can read moonrunes, then the golden age of AA has been since 2012. Some of the good ones gets picked up for localization in 2016, and scheduled for release in 2017.

For moonrunes readers, 2017 is a slow year.

/thread

Nah, more like A games if you read moonrunes. The AA games most always get localized these days.

Persona 5 figure is the launch shipment. For Nioh, the launch shipment sold out less than a week. For some games, it takes longer. It seems like Persona 5 can hit 3 million with ease over the course of two years.

I wannt B2 to fist me in the ass

Sounds like an aerodynamic adventure

>Mass Effect Andromeda had a budget of 40 million dollars.
>NieR: Automata had a budget of 5 million.
>Also about half of Andromeda's development time

Yeah, NieR is not AAA. Not when it had the eighth of another game's budget released the same month.

This
PS2 era capcom was GODTIER with all of their AA games

fuck man, you tricked me into thinking it was an ace attorney thread

>Nier, Nioh and Persona are AAA, tho
Not even close.
>Yoshida said budgets for top-tier PS4 games would be "slightly larger" than the $20 to $50 million price range he estimated as the development cost for "top PS3 games." Four years ago, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot estimated that the average production budget for the generation of games following Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 would be $60 million. In an 2012 investor report, Take-Two admitted some of its "top titles" cost in excess of $60 million for development alone.

For this generation, devs are pretty much still creating PS3 games but in 1080p 60 fps instead. In terms of asset creation, there isn't a big difference between the two, which is why dev costs haven't risen that substantially between these two gens.

If you played a PS3 multiplat on PC in 2012, you were pretty much playing a PS4 game.

Not really
Most games have radically improved lighting, poly counts and effects
Just look at AAA games starting from as early as 2014
Ass Creed, CoD, Battlefield just to name a few, these games look much better than old gen games