Want the best ending? Better have gamefaqs open at all times :)

>Want the best ending? Better have gamefaqs open at all times :)

Why is this allowed?

There's no fucking way you can miss any star unless you're completely retarded.

Yeah 1 was worse in regards to missing guys.

was there any missable character in suikoden 2? i know suikoden 1 has a lot of them including one that can be recruited in such a short time frame, it's bound to fuck you up if you don't know about him

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to time one of the character's quests

>Want the game to end properly? Better have gamefaqs open at all times :)

In op's defense, Clive is easy to miss if you don't walk through the right alley at the right time in Muse.

Not NEARLY as bullshit as the Suiko5 recruitment, though.

missing that timed quest is easy in PAL version because of 50FPS (which means the time runs faster)

No? The only one you can miss is the old man up north if you're a fucking retard.

Yes, Clive was on a global time limit and I think some of those 5 fairy fuckers were missable.

If you don't level up the one guy your father kills him.

>want to see all of clive's backstory?
>better skip all of the fun content and speedrun the fucking game
why is THIS allowed?

I think Chrono Cross was even more ridiculous

>Not using Pahn anyway in the entire game

that's not true, Clive can be missed, and i ended up having to redo the entire fucking first half of the game because of it

Fuck, this game's true ending requirements were so god damned cryptic. I genuinely don't know how people could figure that out without dumb luck.

Stars aren't that cryptic aside from the squirrels (if any of them counted). Can't remember if I got them all blind but wouldn't have felt cheated if I didn't, they even give you a detective so far through who'll drop clues

You want gamefaq bullshit? How about that Pahn duel in the first game, just get him back underleveled and then he has to duel your dad in the next story bit, failure meaning death for that character. Failure meaning no fucking best ending because you need them all alive. While I'm at it, Luc died too in my replay ages ago in one of the old shitty story battles because I got rock-paper-scissors wrong twice in a row and I'm still annoyed about it

I'm absolutely sure dumb luck was the only way. There were no hints whatsoever to all the specific shit you had to do.

all the evil general that recruit your army can be killed if you pick the wrong dialogue option

obviously you would be stupid to do that, but it's still kind of a dick move

The good ol' days of the Game Guides. You buy one of those bad boys, with all of the secrets and tricks... And your friends would beg to let them borrow it.
Now I'm sad...

Clive, Gilbert, Ayda and, to a stretch, Futch and Humphrey are all I can think of.

>wanting to be spoonfed a best ending
doesn't that just make it a normal ending then

And so you've never played Suikoden 2, I see.

No. If the normal ending is shit then it's a bad ending.

I've always heard that this game is really good
Should I bother emulating?

Yes. It's just a really good old JRPG and the series has its own unique flavor to it. If you like it, consider the others. 1 and 5 are the most similar. 3 is different but still good. 4 is generally considered the weakest but it has its fans.

Thanks user
Is it hard to emulate ps1 games?

>walk into new map
>see some farmer looking dude
>step on his RGB plants
>tells you to fuck off for stepping on his plants
>can't recruit him ever afterwards

not even sure how my 12 year old self got all 108 back in the day

Absolutely, but playing 1 first gives you both an extra character in 2 and the awareness that 2's story and characters are badly copied from 1

>all those losers who didn't get Mukumuku from the tree like 15 minutes into the game

I don't even know how else you'd get him

Don't listen to Suikoden 1 and 2 are really good and you should play them then forget about the sequels.

>MC 2 didn't fugg the circus girls
worse than 9/11

No, it's really easy. I don't know which emulator is currently best but another user would. Also don't be afraid to have a no-spoiler recruitment FAQ open while you play, just for the sake of "HEY, AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME GO OVER HERE / DO THIS THING" if you care about 100% recruitment, which is mandatory for the best ending in all games.

Don't have to use an actual full strategy guide, but I would recommend having a recruitment guide. Most recruitments are pretty easy, but each game has a few that are kind of batshit crazy.

The normal ending isn't shit you fucking meming cunt
It's more than good enough, only character deaths are reversed and Jowy interactions drastically change
Yes, nothing has come close to it in a couple of diffferent ways even to this day, not that it's the best ever but it's the best at what it does - writing, characters and world are all top top notch, music is a fucking pleasure and very very unique, combat is damn good and runes make the combat fucking fun.
But it's one of those games that are just unforgettable, it leaves a mark on you, it's characters make you a better person irl, it's very very well made video game, 1 is also good but 2 surpassed it in almost every way, 3 is good but different. 4 is meh and 5 is is just another 2 but still great.

Clive in Suikoden 2 has a time limit afaik.

1 is a fun game, but the writing and story is so fucking shit that I had a hard time getting through it. Thank fucking god it only took me 20 hours.

2 is much better in every single way, but I wouldn't call it the pinnacle of JRPGs.

>not wanting to go full autism and playing through 1, 2 and 3 then loading their save datas through just to unlock a minute long but admittedly funny cut scene in 3 where they reenact the ending of one very poorly

what? The only bad Suiko game is 4. The rest are all really good. 1,2, and 5 all have the same structure and are very similar while 3 was very different but still really good.

So yeah, play they all except for 4. Suiko 4 isn't even one of those "its still a good game, just considerably weaker than the rest" things, it's just a bad game outright.

The best ending is kind of shitty anyways though. It's just too saccharine everyone holds hands and sings about friendship garbage. It honestly does kind of rob the story of it's emotional impact , makes Nanami look like a horrible person for lying about something so awful, makes the hero look like a retard who can only puppy dog follow his friend and Jowy like a bigger faggot than he was

>still no suikoden anime

Tactics is honestly pretty great though. Which is nice because I liked a number of 4's SODs and am glad they got to be in a good game

To be fair, Riou was just an average soldier who apparently got into deep shit, being given a True Rune and fighting wars and politics. He clearly lost it when he was asked to be the leader of the army and he was only like 16? 18? He only wanted a normal life with Nanami and Jowy but instead he got dragged into a lot of shit.

Yeah, Tactics was a sweet game. Hell, I even enjoyed Tierkreis. It's one of the best RPGs on the DS although it's honestly Suikoden in name only in a lot of ways.

hello

He was the son of a great military general and the leader of a liberation army. He should just be glad his true rune didn't fucking eat people.

Destiny's a bitch, you don't get to FRIENDSHIP your way out of it. That's the problem with the good ending. It was too good, too easy and no one had to pay any consequences for their actions.

loli Viki was such a cunt................I loved her.......

I like a lot of things about 3 but it also kind of pissed me off by constantly reminded me of a far more interesting story Id like to be playing instead.

Plus frankly I don't think the trinity system was all that great because instead of one good story we got three pretty weak ones. Hell there was even only one logical flame champ successor. Hugo. Geddoe despite being all kinds of cool had his lightning rune and Chris had her stuff with her dad.

I don't understand why everyone says this. I thought the story in 1 was way better than 2. everything after luca blight dies was crap.

>everything after luca blight dies was crap.

Thank you. Jowy was an awful final villain. Nothing made sense after Luca. Both you and He knew the war was bologna and could have ended it right then and there but Jowy decided he wanted to be a dick because LOL DESTINY FRIENDS FIGHTING HOW TRAGIC.

It was hack.

Ideally he should play 1, then 2, then read the Suikogaidens, then play 3.

Suikodens after 3 are pretty much as if Tolkien stopped writing LotR after the second book, and Return of the King was written by Stephenie Meyer instead.

Guidebait for main story is never ok, only for secret stuff with preferably not much in the way of story exposition. Put grinding, difficulty, collectables etc. for story elements and its fine. Missables, timed instances and other cryptic bullshit should only be for secrets.

>first game hero uses a staff and 2nd game hero uses tonfa

Is there any other games that break the sword wielding main character meme?

Terranigma MC uses a spear.

Yes.

You can list them if you want :)

Terranigma never really gelled with me for some reason

100% in FFX-2 even with gamefaqs is a bitch to do.

I always wanted to do this

Closest I got was loading my data into 2, getting 3/4ths through then my PS3 with the save data died.
I'll do it someday!

Tales of Legendia/Xillia 1+2
Xenogears/Saga
FF12izjs since you can choose which weapon you want
FF Type-0
Wild Arms series
Shadow Hearts series
Trails in the Sky FC+SC

There's more but this is all I can remember atm.

Shadow hearts
Resonance of fate
P3P if you pick the femMc
SMT III
Tales of Legendia

>Pesmerga

Yeah, no

>explodes randomly
>teleports you to a treasure room on accident

I love her

Sierra will never suck you dick. Ever.

;_;

THanks guys, I'l check those out

Valeria and Anita were fucking right?

That reminds me I should probably post a game

Live a Live

There is a bunch of different scenarios that you pick from and finish each story in those.

My favourites being The martial art teacher and having to pick your students, The wrestler who wants to be the best fighter in the world, and the one of the lil robot where you are on a space ship and you can't fight while trying to figure out who is killing who on the ship

The Genius of Sappheiros, 17 different character-specific weapon categories and the main character wields a shrinemaiden staff

the time limit on clive is for his first meeting, and you have like...13 hours or some shit to meet him, and he's in the first real town, like 3 hours into the game if youre slow

Thanks a lot guys, I'm the user who asked about the emulation
Just got to the merc camp, it really is quite good

The one where he dies of rune cancer because he ran away instead of confronting his faggot of a best friend

It only gets better once you stop being the prisoner delivery boy and start amassing some party members.

Are there any other JRPGs that have chars like Suikoden II that act like rational, normal humans in the face of death/war?
I always loved the fact that you ran away from more fights than you actually participated in, and that Nanami/MC clearly wanted to get as far away from the bloodshed as possible once they got dragged into it. The fact that there were multiple early endings based on that made the concept even stronger.

I dunno, the guard who got sucked off by the circus chick is a lucky sod though.

How about the ones that require suikoden 1 saves?

DRAKENGARD

That's only if you want to get Tir and he's not needed to get the best ending

To recruit him, you have to get there before the 20 hour mark.
That's a lot of time.
To see his quest, yes, you have to have a dedicated playthrough for it. It's almost like it's replayability or something.

I thought that was because by denying the calling of the Bright Shield rune, he is not protected by it when Neclord uses his power to curse him.

Name one JRPG on the PSX that doesn't need a guide to get the best ending and stuff.

Japs went full retard in the PSX era.

BoF4

Clives time limit was really just for finishing his story up. Once you got him to join you didn't have to do the rest if you didn't want to.

>水滸伝
legend of near water?
water. vicinity. legend/method/way/tradition